Is one formal night fancier than the others?

CrispyRice

I'm heading out soon a cruise with 3 formal nights. I have two very nice dresses and one "killer" dress. :p Does one night tend to be even fancier than the others, and is there a way to know which one it will be?

Thanks!

No, pretty much all the same.

They usually serve the lobster tail at the last formal night - which is also when they have the introduction of the chefs and parade of waiters/busboys with the Baked Alaska. I can't remember but the photographer backdrops might be more formal.

j

Traditionally, first is most formal b/c that is the night of the Captains Reception... Meet & Greet with all the officers etc.,,

the other two are less so and one of them might even be eliminated or billed on bd as cocktail dressy or something like that...

no harm in repeating an outfit or deciding which one to "dress to kill" on!!

I can imagine the 1st one being the most exciting to get the dressed up for. And I'll check for the Captain's Reception, too; that's a great point.

Maybe keeping the melted butter for the lobster AWAY from the nicest dress is a good idea, too, lol.

Thanks all! :)

In my opinion on most of my cruises, for whatever reason, the first formal night seems to be the most "dressy" and the last formal night being less so. Just my own experience from several cruise lines.

100% concur with the above. I've always noticed that the later formal nights seem to be to be more relaxed....

In my opinion on most of my cruises, for whatever reason, the first formal night seems to be the most "dressy" and the last formal night being less so. Just my own experience from several cruise lines.

I've found the same to be true on every cruise line we've ever sailed!

LuLu

~~~~

The great advantage of Select Dining is meeting different people but also being able to wear repeat formal wear & no one evens knows:D

And some of us older folks have come to the realization that even if someone sees you in the same outfit more than once who the heck cares:D

I also agree with the previous posters that people tend to dress up more the first formal night. One exception - if the first formal night happens to fall on a day where the ship has been in a fantastic port, then it seems to be a bit less formal. But this rarely happens as it is usually the first full day which is usually a sea day (at least for Caribbean, Alaska, or west coast cruises, the only ones I have been on so far)

I concur.

I'm heading out soon a cruise with 3 formal nights. I have two very nice dresses and one "killer" dress. :p Does one night tend to be even fancier than the others, and is there a way to know which one it will be?

Thanks!

Its the same but generally the first night people dress up more, by the second night people are tired and its less formal.

They usually serve the lobster tail at the last formal night - which is also when they have the introduction of the chefs and parade of waiters/busboys with the Baked Alaska. I can't remember but the photographer backdrops might be more formal.

j

I would think the first night with the Captains reception is slightly more formal but agree that the food is more special on the last. They do the parade and also introduce a lot of the main players with the food preparation but they haven't had the Bomb paraded for a few years now (no open flames), even if it is available for dessert.:D

Repeat a dress? I'm all excited that I *get* to wear 3 different dresses. :D I don't have the chance to get dressed up enough in my regular life, LOL.

If you have room for it in your luggage, then I say go for it. I love it when people make the effort and glam it up.:D

I used to bring my fancy clothes. Long gowns and tuxedos were the norm. I thought it was important to bring fine clothing for formal nights. In 2004 our luggage got lost between JFK and Barcelona. It was over a week until we got our lost luggage. We went to formal night with what we had in our carryons. Celebrity gave us tees and did our laundry free same day. We survived. When we got our bags, our formal attire was stolen. I lost an expensive gown. Now I do formal night in a simple black skirt or pants with a nice blouse. Often wear the same clothes more than once. If that killer dress is valuable, carry it on.....or leave it home. I have lost my luggage several times....just unlucky.