Royal Princess Nov. 10-17

cruze610

Royal Princess November 10-17

I’ll start by saying that we have like many of you cruised with Princess many times. I am Elite and DW is only a couple away from Elite. We chose this cruise strictly because of the ship. We decided as soon as we heard that this ship was being built that we HAD TO BE ON IT ASAP!

I will try to keep this review as short as possible but I apologize in advance it I start to drag on an on. I tend to do that sometimes. I will keep this strictly about the ship and not go into details about the ports (Princess Cays, St. Thomas and St. Maarten) as that is not what this review is about.

Embarkation: We arrived at Port Everglades a littler later than we usually like to but the early flights from EWR to FLL were way to pricey. We arrived at the terminal at about 2pm. The line of people that were lined up outside along side the terminal was longer than we have ever seen in the past. This didn’t bother us as we walked to the front and went in the preferred line. Once inside our line moved rather quickly. From the time we entered the terminal till the time we made it up to the line at the check in counter it was less than 10 minutes. There didn’t seem to be any preferred line once at the check in section. Not a big problem either as the lines moved very swiftly. We worked our way to the front of the line in less than 10 minutes. Checked in, got our cruise cards and were ushered upstairs in no time. Now, once upstairs, that’s where the waiting began. Every one getting their photos taken as they walk on takes some time. I think the wait was about 20 minutes but since I was so excited to board that it felt like an hour. We finally stepped on to the Royal at about 245 ish. We headed straight for the elevator to get to our cabin.

We immediately noticed how beautiful the Piazza was. It was huge and extravagant. We had to wait quite a while to get an elevator. Maybe 10 minutes. Once the elevator opened I understood why.

EVERY SINGLE ELEVATOR on the Royal is I think significantly smaller than that of the other Princess ships. This means that sometimes (often times) when the elevator would open to let people on, there was no room for them to get on. This was a disappointment that I seemed to encounter several times during the cruise. Once at our cabin A707 Jason our stateroom steward greeted us. He was for the most part GREAT. Not the best we have ever had but certainly not bad at all. He was attentive and fulfilled our needs when they came up.

The stateroom was very nice but slightly smaller than what we have gotten used to. It was a regular balcony cabin. We didn’t opt for the deluxe balcony but we wished that we had, as it was just a little too tight in our cabin. The shower was noticeably larger and the addition of the little ledge and wall mounted shampoo and shower gel was a nice feature. But how do they increase the shower size? They make the bathroom smaller!!! Not good. The TP holder as mentioned by so many other people is in an awful spot. Princess is very well aware of this and they have already taken steps to change it in the Regal. I would imagine they would also correct it on the Royal.

The balcony is smaller as we are all aware of already. We spent a lot of time on the balcony and did miss the extra space. There were 2 chairs that were capable of reclining but with 2 people on the balcony it just isn’t possible to do that. There is also a tiny table on the balcony. There would really be no way to eat any kind of a meal on the balcony the way that it is. We were also above the rear section of Promenade (aft of the last tender) Very bright lights would come on in the evening to light the deck and cause our balcony to never get as dark as we like. This made it more difficult to see all the stars in the sky.

Speaking of the Promenade deck, It sucks that it does not wrap all the way around the ship. Lets leave it at that.

Absolutely loved the layout of this ship!!! This was the first time I went on a cruise and had the layout down pat and actually knew my way around by the 2nd or 3rd day.

For the most part, the entire crew was fantastic. Very friendly through out the entire length of the cruise.

The only place that we experienced bad service was in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms. Service was the worst it has ever been. We actually got up and walked out of the Symphony dining room because service was so slow.

Loved the buffet. The new HC was much nicer, more modern and better laid out. Never once did we have trouble finding a table to sit at. Which is good because we ate almost every dinner there. We ate at the Crown Grill once, Alfredo’s once and Concerto once. All other dinners were at the HC. Food was better quality and better selection than we remembered. And the wait staff was terrific.

Crown Grill was great as it always is although DW got a NY Strip and it was very fatty. Alfredo’s was great. We actually went there twice. Just a suggestion to Princess though, It would be nice if they offered some daily specials or something to mix it up a little with the menu.

Burgers and dogs from Trident was great as usual, Pizza from Prego was good but not as good as in the past. Seemed like they are making the pizza a little thinner now. We never made it to the seafood terrace bar so I cant comment on that. Bellini’s was nice but the kind of place where I would only go once just to try it.

The Sky Walk was kind of cool the first time I walked on it then the novelty wore off quickly. I think most of the passengers might have felt the same because when ever I walked by, no one was on it. The Sea View bar was kind of cool. The flair show was spectacular!!!

MUTS- During the day. EVERY SINGLE DAY ALL DAY LONG all they played was some National Geographic scenic slide show. No TV, no movies. NOTHING AT ALL. I don’t get why they did that. Night Time was of course a different story. Movies every night and even Monday Night the fountain and light show I think is a big waste of space. We went to see it and it was so windy the water was blowing into the air sideways soaking everything on deck. On the final night of the cruise it wasn’t quite as windy but the show only lasts about 5 minutes so not worth seeing more than once.

Pools were kind of small but large enough I think. They should really have more lounge chairs by the pools though. On a sea day it is impossible to get a chair unless you are one of those dreaded chair hogs that everyone knows I’m talking about. The no reserving chairs rule is very obviously not enforced.

The deck is no longer real teak wood like it has always been. I don’t know what it is exactly but it is extremely slippery when wet and the black lines that are supposed to look like the seams in the boards are just painted on with black paint.

I loved the addition of all of the auto opening doors. Also loved the spa.

We were under the impression that we could reserve the Enclave by the day for something like $40-$50 per day per person. Don’t remember if we read that here on CC or on the princess site. This was not the case. We were told when we called to reserve that it had to be done for the entire week. This was $159 per person for the week. We did book it and we are glad we did. It was very relaxing and it truly did help us “escape completely”

I could go on and on but this review has already been way too long. I know I left out a lot Any questions, I will gladly answer. But for now I guess that’s all I’ll say. Sorry this review was so long.

the bottom line. Will I sail Princess again? Of course I will. I am a fan boy! Will sail on the Royal again? Probably not.

Edited by cruze610
left something out

Thanks for the review.

From my perspective of being on the ship for 18 days and in a standard balcony cabin, the mid-ship "scenic" elevators are larger. :) You are right in that the other elevators felt smaller. The bathroom actually is larger, not smaller, because they took space from the closet area and angled the wall so that the sink counter is longer. Perhaps my cabin was different but my standard balcony cabin was the same size or larger than my standard balcony cabin on the Diamond last May plus it had more storage. Here's a comparison:

My Diamond balcony cabin:

DSC01558.JPG

My Royal balcony cabin:

DSC01676.JPG

The promenade deck is pretty much a moot point since the design is due to new regulations.

Thanks for the review.

From my perspective of being on the ship for 18 days and in a standard balcony cabin, the mid-ship "scenic" elevators are larger. :) You are right in that the other elevators felt smaller. The bathroom actually is larger, not smaller, because they took space from the closet area and angled the wall so that the sink counter is longer. Perhaps my cabin was different but my standard balcony cabin was the same size or larger than my standard balcony cabin on the Diamond last May plus it had more storage. Here's a comparison:

DSC01558.JPG

My Royal balcony cabin:

DSC01676.JPG

The promenade deck is pretty much a moot point since the design is due to new regulations.

Thanks for the pictures Pam.

Thanks for the review.

DSC01558.JPG

My Royal balcony cabin:

DSC01676.JPG

I wonder if everyone thinks the balcony cabins are smaller on the Royal because the mirror over the bed has been changed to a padded headboard.

That's the only difference i can see.

I wonder if everyone thinks the balcony cabins are smaller on the Royal because the mirror over the bed has been changed to a padded headboard.

That's the only difference i can see.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I would never be able to survive an interior without that headboard mirror to give the illusion of more space and to throw off more light.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by Iamcruzin

Hi

Thanks for the review,

I read so many folks saying had a good cruise will sail Princess again but the Royal is not their first choice ship,

It will be interesting to see Princess figures for repeat Royal cruisers,

yours Shogun

Are the showers on the Royal slippery? I ask because years ago when I was last on a Princess cruise, I brought a small plastic shower matt from 99 cent store for the shower--- cruisecritic people recommended-- plus a couple of clothes pins for the curtain. This was an excellent tip at the time.

Anyway, just wondering if this is necessary for the new Royal ship.

Hi

Thanks for the review,

I read so many folks saying had a good cruise will sail Princess again but the Royal is not their first choice ship,

It will be interesting to see Princess figures for repeat Royal cruisers,

yours Shogun

We would cruise Royal Princess again. We really appreciated the Horizon Court, IC, Piazza, great beds to list a few things. One of the prettiest Princess ships. Been on all of them over the years.

THANKS for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experiences aboard Royal Princess! :D

And THANKS Pam for the comparison pictures. I much prefer the beautiful decor in the new cabins over the old decor, which now looks so dated. It will be interesting to experience it without the mirror adding the illusion of space.

As for cruising this class again, I have no desire to go ever go back to a Grand-class, so hopefully I'll enjoy my time aboard. Looking forward to spending two weeks on Royal Princess, and seeing her and Regal Princess in Fort Lauderdale together in January 2015.

Hi Dave

You need to join us in a cruise on a Grand class ship

Our best cruises have been on these ships

Yours Shogun

Hi Steve!

I've heard that "it's the people you meet that make the cruise". And as much as I would love to cruise with some of my fellow Cruise Critic members, I think I'd rather do it on a Royal-class ship. ;)

Hi Steve!

I've heard that "it's the people you meet that make the cruise". And as much as I would love to cruise with some of my fellow Cruise Critic members, I think I'd rather do it on a Royal-class ship. ;)

This is so, so true, your fellow pax can make or break, your cruise, we were on the NOV 10 sailing and met some amazing people, laughed lots and chatted utter rubbish, we did avoid the moaners and 7 days was not enough with the crazy people we met.

Are the showers on the Royal slippery? I ask because years ago when I was last on a Princess cruise, I brought a small plastic shower matt from 99 cent store for the shower--- cruisecritic people recommended-- plus a couple of clothes pins for the curtain. This was an excellent tip at the time.

Anyway, just wondering if this is necessary for the new Royal ship.

The shower (tub, actually) in our mini last week, was VERY slippery. I was thankful a few times for the grab bars. However, Princess is kind enough to supply a rubber mat for the tub floor, the kind with all the little suction cups. It's kept rolled up and stored on the shelf under the sink. I used it every day.

I would hope that one is supplied in all cabins, but I can only confirm for the minis.

Thank you for the review. We have booked the Royal Princess for a Baltic cruise next summer. Can you, or someone tell me what the small area of the promenade looks like outside of Crooners bar? From what I can tell, it appears to be extended out the side of the side. We have a cabin booked on the Emerald Deck just above the area. The balcony appears to be a little larger than others. I have been looking for pictures of that area, but haven't found any. Wondering if that outside area is a smoking area on the ship and also if the balconies are easily visible directly above. Anyone have pictures?

Thank you for your help

OP, thank you for the review. I think the consensus on the new gimmicks (Sea Walk and Fountain show) is that they are misses and not close to being hits. Not many have posted about the fondue place, crabshack, and other alternative dining options. Maybe passengers don't see value there. It is good to read about Alfredo's though. The most troubling things that I have read lately in reviews relate to lackluster service in dining rooms. Are these the Anytime Rooms or the fixed time rooms?

Also, I guess the first thing I will do on board next summer is to book the Enclave for the voyage. In the past, the first things we have done was sign up for Chef's Table and other specialty dining. No CT for us next summer, but we will sign up for Winemakers Dinner, Crown Grill (maybe twice) and Sabatini's. My wife will usually sign up for her gym classes as well.

Thank you for the review. We have booked the Royal Princess for a Baltic cruise next summer. Can you, or someone tell me what the small area of the promenade looks like outside of Crooners bar? From what I can tell, it appears to be extended out the side of the side. We have a cabin booked on the Emerald Deck just above the area. The balcony appears to be a little larger than others. I have been looking for pictures of that area, but haven't found any. Wondering if that outside area is a smoking area on the ship and also if the balconies are easily visible directly above. Anyone have pictures?

Thank you for your help

Here you go! Not sure if this is the Crooners Side or the Facets side, but someone posted this lovely photo which has been my desktop for a while now :)

1394137524_WindowsPhotoViewerWallpaper.jpg.2d9fd4ca0ee817442f6a6f1b7487f137.jpg

Edited by loliola