Cruise carry on question - bigger ship

Peggyd.73

I'm getting ready for my first long cruise (8 nights) on a bigger ship (RCL Independence of the Seas) and wondering about luggage when I board.

I will be flying in the day before with a checked bag (have to because of liquid rules), a carry on, and backpack. For the flight, I'll make sure to have couple of changes of clothes, swim stuff, and a dinner outfit in my wheeled carry on.... but I'm not sure I need all that stuff to board the ship.

I don't generally swim prior to the lifeboat drill and expect I will likely use the time to have lunch, explore the ship, and maybe visit the pool bar. I'm thinking I could just carry my backpack with paperwork, camera, kindle, and maybe sandals.

Given that I'm checking luggage with the porter next to the ship, is there any risk that the luggage could get lost between porter and my cabin? Has anyone every experienced this? The only real downside I see is there is some risk that luggage won't arrive before dinner...but with the late seating, is that really a big risk?

Would appreciate any advice from the experienced cruisers out there!!

There is an RCI-specific board here and you can get all kinds of info there in future, but to answer your question, you will receive your luggage anytime between boarding and, say, 11 pm. The norm is before 6 pm but anything could happen. And please don't worry yourself over lost luggage. I mean, I'm sure there are horror stories but they are few and far between. Sounds like you have worked yourself up over this and it's really not necessary. Just relax and enjoy this time leading up to your cruise, and have a great time once onboard.

Most people will tell you the priority items that need to go in your carry on are all valuables, your medications, and then usually one change of clothes.

Has it ever happened that a bag that arrives at the pier somehow doesn't get to your cabin? Yes, I am sure it has. But the chances of a bag getting lost between pier and cabin are so incredibly small compared to the 1-2% chance your bag may get lost during the flight process, it isn't really worth mentioning.

Most cruise lines are very good about getting bags to cabins prior to sailing, unless you are very late getting on board. But, as the first night is typically causal, you can wear to dinner what you wore aboard. We normally wear cooler clothes aboard- if in a warm weather climate, and have a warmer set in our carryon if the clothes we wear aboard aren't appropriate for dinner.

By the way, 8 days isn't a long cruise. It is a standard cruise length. Long cruises are 20, 30, 40, 50 days, or more.

Edited by CruiserBruce

You want to deal with as small a bag as possible for the couple of hours you will be on the ship before your cabin is ready: certainly your cruise docs, any meds and valuables. If your back pack has room you might want a change of clothes - but all you really need as an absolute minimum is a change of underwear and socks.

There is very little likelihood of your bags not getting to your cabin pretty promptly, so you shouldn't sweat it.

You most certainly can check the carry on piece. Just be sure there are no important items in there and that included medication.

The only issue is that often the luggage gets placed on top of one another so it being such a small piece it might get dented.

If it was me I probably would not check it in. I would bring it on the ship and you could then see if they can just deliver it to the room or hold it for you.

Keith

Checking your luggage with the porter at the pier is SOP. Unless all your regular luggage is of a size that will fit through the pier security scanners at check in (similar to those use by the airport TSA) you do not have a choice and cannot carry it on and it must be checked as each piece of luggage goes through a security scan.

Pretty difficult for the luggage to be lost as it goes from check in with the porters directly to security and then on board - and each pier is dedicated to one ship. It is possible that it could be delayed to your room if by some chance the luggage tag is detached in the process and your ID is not clearly visible on the luggage. (As a safeguard we usually attach two room ID tags to each piece to be sure). But that is rare and has never happened to us in 21 years of cruising.

Regarding dinner the first night there is no regulation on what you can wear in the MDR as many people don't get their luggage in time to change for dinner. Luggage can start arriving early to mid afternoon but can also take until early evening. Do not concern yourself with what you are wearing for dinner the first night.

By all means do carry everything of value and what you will need until your luggage arrives with you in your carry on - all ID / passports / ship documents / cash and credit cards / medications / jewelry / cell phones / etc. We also always carry a change of clothes if what we will be wearing to the ship is not what we want to wear on it the first day. You can change in your staterooms at 1:00 when they become available.

Your plan for what to do prior to getting into your room and until your luggage arrives is a good one. We like to board as early as possible, enjoy an early lunch, then wander around or hang out somewhere until the rooms open up. If there is any "housekeeping" such as changing or verifying dining table location, etc., we do that first on board as well.

Enjoy your cruise - Independence is one of our favorites and the 8-night itinerary is great. Did it last March and repeating it again on Indy this March.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Of course there is always a risk of losing luggage. There is also a risk of you dying between the port and your cabin. I guess it depends the amount of risk you can live with.

If not wanting risk in losing you luggage then pack everything in a carryon size and don't leave it out of your sight.

Very sadly, I have heard occasional tales of someone having a suitcase delivered to their cabin that they knew was not theirs. They set it aside and left it in the cabin the whole time and never made mention it belonged to someone else. Obviously, the person who was searching for that 'lost' suitcase did not receive it during their cruise. :(

There are all sorts of folks in this world......

So, yes. Your suitcase can be misplaced, lost, not delivered when you have checked it with the stevedore on the dock.

Very sadly, I have heard occasional tales of someone having a suitcase delivered to their cabin that they knew was not theirs. They set it aside and left it in the cabin the whole time and never made mention it belonged to someone else. Obviously, the person who was searching for that 'lost' suitcase did not receive it during their cruise. :(

I have never understood that. The cruise ship cabins are small. Who would want an extra suitcase sitting there for a week? If they don't want to call the front desk, or tell their steward, just put it back out in the hall.

It makes such a difference to the person missing it!

There are all sorts of folks in this world......

So, yes. Your suitcase can be misplaced, lost, not delivered when you have checked it with the stevedore on the dock.

This reminds me of the time some other arriving traveller pulled my black wheeled bag off the carousel at the airport. Apparently they discovered it was't theirs, but instead of returning it to the carousel, they left it well obscured beside a distant exit revolving exit door. After over an hour of searching, with help of the luggage personnel, we finally found it.

Ever since, I travel with very obvious white tape symbols on my bags - not that I need them, but it sure helps others not grab mine in error.

Ever since, I travel with very obvious white tape symbols on my bags - not that I need them, but it sure helps others not grab mine in error.

I took craft store acrylic paint and decorated my plain black luggage. Nobody will take it by accident. And I can spot it from quite a distance.

I think the latest we've received our luggage was a little after 6, but most of the time our stuff arrives by mid-afternoon.

On the other hand, I've arrived at LAX twice and my suitcase wasn't on the plane and had to be delivered a day or two later at my house. First time, my friend and I got to the Honolulu airport and were offered seats on an earlier flight. My suitcase went on our original one.

The second time I was traveling with my mother who was being a pain-in-the-you-know-what at the airline counter. We had a stop in Reno and apparently that's where our luggage was taken off. I had a few choice things to say to my mother after discovering that. But at least I was finishing my trips and my suitcases eventually showed up.

I usually put my name and cabin number on my luggage with masking tape, in addition to the usual luggage tags -- just in case the luggage tags come off. I've always had my bags delivered to my cabin with no issues. Some people use light colored duct tape to write their name and cabin number. (Duct tape can come in handy for other reasons also, such as mending a torn bag.)

Edited by Jimnbigd

I'm getting ready for my first long cruise (8 nights) on a bigger ship (RCL Independence of the Seas) and wondering about luggage when I board.

I will be flying in the day before with a checked bag (have to because of liquid rules), a carry on, and backpack. For the flight, I'll make sure to have couple of changes of clothes, swim stuff, and a dinner outfit in my wheeled carry on.... but I'm not sure I need all that stuff to board the ship.

I don't generally swim prior to the lifeboat drill and expect I will likely use the time to have lunch, explore the ship, and maybe visit the pool bar. I'm thinking I could just carry my backpack with paperwork, camera, kindle, and maybe sandals.

Given that I'm checking luggage with the porter next to the ship, is there any risk that the luggage could get lost between porter and my cabin? Has anyone every experienced this? The only real downside I see is there is some risk that luggage won't arrive before dinner...but with the late seating, is that really a big risk?

Would appreciate any advice from the experienced cruisers out there!!

If you didn't have to worry about the liquids, would you just do carryon? I only ask this because, unless you have something special that you absolutely could not find your day before embarking, you could still just carryon. Go to the store and buy what you need….