Is sea sickness medication still free?

lovedecruise

Don't wait until you're seasick to start taking meds. This is what I do: I buy an inexpensive packet of Bonnine at home and take one tablet an hour or two before I board (and yes, even though the ship is docked). Then I take another tablet before I go to sleep and continue to take one tablet every night at bedtime.

This method works much better for me than "the patch" which has some weird side-effects.

Hi, can anyone tell me if Celebrity still provide sea sickness medication free of charge? I researched some older posts and it seems as though they did at one stage, but is this still the case? Thanks

For $3.95 you can buy 20 at CVS and use it before you get sick.:rolleyes:

Edited by orchestrapal

I am not so sure you can always get Bonine (this is what they recommend) for free. Sometimes they will simply tell you to go to one of the onboard shops where they sell that drug....for higher prices then you would pay on land. DW and I have literally spend years at sea and DW has never been seasick. But she likes to take a Bonine at bedtime, the night before we get on any ship. She will normally take another the first cruise night (at bedtime) and then if the seas are pretty calm and she feels fine...no more drugs. If seas really start to get rough (and we are talking 20 foot+ seas) we both will pop a Bonine to be sure.

Hank

Don't wait until you're seasick to start taking meds. This is what I do: I buy an inexpensive packet of Bonnine at home and take one tablet an hour or two before I board (and yes, even though the ship is docked). Then I take another tablet before I go to sleep and continue to take one tablet every night at bedtime.

This method works much better for me than "the patch" which has some weird side-effects.

This is what I do, but I usually start the day before my trip since I can experience motion sickness in the car or when flying. I take Bonine until day 3 and don't seem to need it after that. I also take ginger tablets with me, but never seem to need these. These are said to have soothing properties. Flat ginger ale and green apples can also be helpful. On a recent cruise I went with my sister to the medical center. There was a box with packets of Meclizine sitting on the table. The person at the counter told her to take a packet a day to last through the cruise.

This is the best method for us.

I was curious as well as to whether they will actually give you some for free, when they sell it in the gift shop. What has been passengers actual experience lately? I remember back on my first cruise (30+ years ago), I was on a now defunct Carnival ship and the seas were horrible. They literally had a large bowl filled with white pills at Guest Relations. All you had to do was dip in.

Personally, as someone very prone to mal de mer, I will always bring some of my own, and always start taking it one day before just to be on the safe side. It is definitely easier to prevent than to cure! If the seas are calm, then I don't take any more. I would never rely on getting it from Guest Relations, although it would be nice to know if that is still an option as I would then not need to carry so much with me.

Folks, if you are worried about being sea sick and having the right meds, why not bring them with you, just as you would any other medication you might need or are likely to need when traveling? Meclizine (generic Bonine) is a readily available and cheap OTC drug; a box of 16 tablets costs under six bucks at CVS.

Folks, if you are worried about being sea sick and having the right meds, why not bring them with you, just as you would any other medication you might need or are likely to need when traveling? Meclizine (generic Bonine) is a readily available and cheap OTC drug; a box of 16 tablets costs under six bucks at CVS.

I have always bought Taveleeze in the UK which is our version of Bonine with Meclizine as the active ingredient. However, it is no longer available, and whether it's psychological or not, I'm in a panic for my next cruise (which isn't until November), hopefully they'll start selling it before then!

For $3.95 you can buy 20 at CVS and use it before you get sick.:rolleyes:

Yes $3.95 for the pills from CVS. But what is the cost of airfare to the closest CVS as they are in New Zealand. Richard:eek:

You might want to look at Sea-legs tablets contain the active ingredient meclozine hydrochloride or meclizine hydrochloride. They sell Sea-legs in New Zealand. Richard

If you need to take meclizine for the first day of a cruise, it is a good idea to do so at least an hour before the ship's scheduled departure time because it can take up to an hour to become fully effective.

But even if you forget it when you board the ship, it should not be a problem because it takes a while for the ship to pull away from the port and head out to sea.

So on most itineraries the ship would be unlikely to encounter rough waters immediately as soon as the cruise begins.

The dose recommended on the package is too much for many people.

The meclizine given out at guest relations comes with 2 tablets per packet, but one is plenty for many, or even half of one.

You can quickly find out what dose works best for your own body without making you feel groggy.

It is one less thing to bother with needing to pack to bring along from home, since it is readily available on the ship and given out freely.

For those who prefer not to take any kind of medication to prevent seasickness, you can get green apples and soda crackers up at the buffet.

For those who have problems with taking sea sickness medication, we discovered a product called MotionEaze that you just dab behind your ears when you start feeling a little seasick. We used it on our previous cruise & it worked like a charm. We bought it at Walmart for about $5 or $6.

For those who have problems with taking sea sickness medication, we discovered a product called MotionEaze that you just dab behind your ears when you start feeling a little seasick. We used it on our previous cruise & it worked like a charm. We bought it at Walmart for about $5 or $6.

I purchased that when we were going to take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen. I agree, it does work like a charm.:)

Yes $3.95 for the pills from CVS. But what is the cost of airfare to the closest CVS as they are in New Zealand. Richard:eek:

You might want to look at Sea-legs tablets contain the active ingredient meclozine hydrochloride or meclizine hydrochloride. They sell Sea-legs in New Zealand. Richard

Now from the Canadian...thank you for your patience. Is CVS a drug store? I have to get meclazine compounded here, and it costs a LOT more than a few dollars. We're heading to FLL in April for our next cruise, and we also go to Washington State regularly. I'm sure I can find a Walmart in Washington. Curious about CVS for when we are in FLL so I know my options.

Many thanks,

Liz

Does crystallized ginger work and if so... How much do you take? I am not prone to seasickness but my partner is and he takes Bonine. However, he doesn't like it.

We use powdered ginger in capsules. It is available in health food stores in the dietary supplements section and I think also at Walmart. Each capsule is 550 mg. We've had good results with taking one capsule twice a day when the seas are moderate. In severe seas, we've had more mixed results. It has worked ok for DW and myself, but DD has to step up to bonine when things get really rocky...