8:45am flight out of FLL?

erries

Do you think it's possible to make an 8:45am flight out of FLL on departure morning? We'll be on the Allure, if that matters. All research I've done here on CC thus far indicates anything earlier than 9:30 is pretty risky, but I thought I'd ask directly. Any success stories?

We made an 8:50 flight, and actually had almost an hour sitting around at the gate. You know the drill - Carry your bags off, be in line when the ship clears.

Of course it's risky. There are many variables that could cause you to miss the flight. If you are comfortable with travel, it is doable.

I am not generally a risk taker, but I would definitely do this, only off Allure/Oasis, carrying off my luggage myself and being amongst the first to walk off the ship. I have not read or heard of one account where someone coming off these two ships, carrying off their own luggage, and being in the first group off the ship, has had any delay. (we took our time and were in the taxi before 7am)

IMO, it is more stressful to end a vacation waiting around for a later flight, anticipating all the things I have to tend to at home. I could have several loads of laundry done, and all the mail sorted through, etc, before the next flight even takes off.

Edited by DonnaK

Given how long it takes to clear customs lately (in November it took us almost an hour), there's no way I'd chance a flight that early. At this point, there are so many people who do the self-disembarkation, it really isn't that fast getting off the ship. Do yourself a favor - avoid getting ulcers and book a later flight.

We were on the Allure 2 years ago. Went down early to disembark - wanted to get to airport and get checked in and relax and have something to eat, buy a magazine etc. Had tons of time. We were talking to a couple first in line to get off. They booked a flight for 8:30am. We were a few minutes late getting off and they were running to get a cab. At the airport, there were lines for security. Again we saw them running down the hallway pulling their bags with them.I think they just made it for final call for boarding. I would NOT want that much stress. I know many people book early flight and make it but I personally would not want to be running and pulling and carrying bags..

Can you make it? Yes if everything works as it should.

Would I do it? Nope! I would wait until 10:30am or so. I would rather be sitting in the airport waiting for the flight to board rather than fighting all the lines that occur when departing a ship.

But that is just me.

Is there a later flight that is available?

Hahahahahaha.

How many other ships are in port that day? I know most debark days 20,000 people getting off ships in FLL. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Our last cruise, I planned an early flight. The ship was delayed getting back to port due to weather. Debark started nearly and hour late. It was a stressful morning.

Did I make it? Yes, it was Port Canaveral only ship in port and we had a car parked in the garage. It was a 10:30 flight and we didn't get out to the car until 8:45.

Would I do it again? No

RCCL asks guests not to make flights before noon, I understand why.

Good Luck

A saturday or sunday could have 7 ships in port. A CLUSTER

THe wait for the taxi, last saturday getting off the Liberty, was maybe a half hour

Edited by jonbgd

Thanks for the feedback, guys -- crisis averted! We were only considering that flight because all other reasonable times were booked up, but then I had a brilliant idea -- to check nearby airports. We ended up with a 1:30 flight out of West Palm Beach for way cheaper than the FLL ones we were eyeballing anyway. We'll have to arrange transportation from the port to PBI, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I wanted to follow up with this solution in case someone else in a similar situation stumbles onto this thread. Check nearby airports!

I flew home from FLL twice recently: December 14, 2013 & January 12, 2014.

Each time was a total cluster#@$%. I do not exaggerate.

For those who can picture the Southwest terminal at FLL:

You descend an escalator to get to security, which is right at the bottom of the escalator.

These past two times: No, nope, nuh huh, no way.

The line was allllllll the way up the far corridor. In December, it went all the way back to the car rental counter and wrapped around that area THREE times.

INSANITY.

Since you are going to West Palm, look at the option to rent a car. You can get one at one of the rental agencies at the port. They get you in a shuttle (or you can cab the couple blocks) and there is no drop off fee. So likely you can get a one way rental for $50 or less. I usually do Budget, they are located in a strip mall right outside the port, but Hertz, etc. also have rental agencies at the port.

Since you are going to West Palm, look at the option to rent a car. You can get one at one of the rental agencies at the port. They get you in a shuttle (or you can cab the couple blocks) and there is no drop off fee. So likely you can get a one way rental for $50 or less. I usually do Budget, they are located in a strip mall right outside the port, but Hertz, etc. also have rental agencies at the port.

Definitely something to consider, as PBI is about an hour north of Port Everglades, i.e. NOT a simple $30 cab fare

Do you think it's possible to make an 8:45am flight out of FLL on departure morning? We'll be on the Allure, if that matters. All research I've done here on CC thus far indicates anything earlier than 9:30 is pretty risky, but I thought I'd ask directly. Any success stories?

What ship?

You descend an escalator to get to security, which is right at the bottom of the escalator.

The line was allllllll the way up the far corridor. In December, it went all the way back to the car rental counter and wrapped around that area THREE times.

INSANITY.

Wow! Off which ships? Did you self-disembark? What time did you get to the airport that it was already so backed up?

INSANITY.

This is exactly how it was on November 23rd when we got off an Indy... Then, we waited about an hour and a half (with DS who was crying thru half of it) until some guy came around and was telling everyone to check their tickets for the "family" mark. (Our son who is 1 with us) which no one ever told us. We got pulled out of line and went to the front to the different security line and breezed thru. If only it didn't take us 1.5 hours! Ugh!!

No way would Dw and I would never gamble with a early flight like that.. Sure we leave usally between 12-2.. I just like giving myself buffer time and it doesnt matter I never go to work the next day anyways... the less stress the better.

I realize OP has made other arrangements, but I will still post our very recent Allure disembarkation.

This Past Sunday (Jan 19, 2014) we were booked on the 11:30am Delta flight from FLL. I knew there was an earlier flight so we decided to get off the Allure early and try to fly standby on the earlier flight. We were on Allure last fall with our kids and chose to get off Allure later (9:00am). We were well over an hour from leaving the ship to customs clearance. This time we were ready with our luggage in the theater to self disembark. We were given the "all clear" by ship staff at 6:15am and headed to the gangway. There was at least 50 people in front of us. We walked out of the theater, down the gangway, through the terminal, cleared customs and were sitting in our taxi in 15 minutes. We were at the airport at 6:45, and at the gate waiting by 7:30. We had no problems catching the 8:20am Delta flight. Would I book the 8:20 in the future? Not likely, but I would definitely prefer to self clear early and be waiting in the airport over standing in line at the terminal and customs for over an hour.

It is definately possible to catch an early flight, but you need to be prepared to get up and be ready to disembark by 6:00am.