Royal Caribbean kicked me off cruise ship for having a migraine

Elfmama

They check the cabins for no-shows....

Yes...I know, but I think I would rather have explained my situation to my cabin steward and deal with it that way with whatever would happen next....Not sure how they handle it if they come into your cabin and you're in bed :confused:

Wow. Am I the only one who is appalled with how the OP is being crucified for having a manageable chronic condition?

I think because I suffered for years with cluster migraines I understand that it is not life threatening and just something you live through.

I also understand the ship's concern, but really, a doctor should know better. If RCCL decided to error on being cautious with today's litigious society, that is their right. I only feel that they should refund the cruise fare because it was the cruise line that didn't want to take the risk. The OP knew very well what was happening and that it was not life threatening.

Yes, statements about never cruising with RCCL are extreme, but if you put yourself in her shoes, you would be upset too.

Let's say you had diabetes, should you not be allowed to cruise? Diabetes can be life threatening.

I am a RCCL fanboy, but I do think the OP deserves a refund.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I totally agree with you. One reason I enjoy cruises so much it because when I get in the tropical weather I normally don't have migraines which is a wonderful relief. If anyone out there has never had migraines, you really can't relate and be so very thankful that you don't.

Without expressing an opinion either way one complicating factor here is that it happened during the evacuation drill. If they think that there is something that may affect your ability to safely evacuate the ship then different things start to come into play. If the same thing happened in a real emergency it would add a certain complexity to the situation.

If they've had them for 40 years, and haven't looked at the clinical studies, then maybe they do. http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=245128

This is the 21st century, and based on our knowledge, migraines should be a very rare condition.

My migraines (25 yrs) were diagnosed by an Neurologist as Hormone related. Once I passed Menopause they ended.

No diet! No lifestyle! changes just post Menopause!!

Sorry you missed your cruise but did RCI do something wrong? :confused:

Failed to diagnose the proper symptoms. If it took ER 20 mins to come to a proper diagnosis, why did the ship not.

That's a bit worrying for the future.

All I can say is WOW (no pun intended), I'm sorry this has happened to you, if someone on here doesn't have migraines, they just don't understand. I've had headaches forever, so it seems. I was taking my son to school and there was a wreck up above and I was nearly right by the cop's flashing lights, etc. and I knew a headache was going to come on. It doesn't take much to get a headache. They are signs of a stroke, my face has gone numb, I can barely see (aura) you know the symptoms and they are real. If you could've just taken your meds asap you would be fine. I would not give up on RCCL, they have wonderful ships, etc. I had a bad experience on a ship and in real life, you just have to keep going and you are in control of your own fun. We all have bad experiences. Hope your headaches get better :)

OK simple question! "They sent me in an Ambulance" What does this mean:confused:

If at the time you knew it was "just a migraine" that you had very much experience with then why did you get in the ambulance and travel to ER in the first place :confused:

From my perspective You also must have thought something was amiss or out of the ordinary other than a "usual migraine" to actually get into the ambulance and be taken to hospital! You have the right to refuse ambulance travel and also medical treatment, especially if you "Know" you dont need it!

Why did you get in an ambulance and travel to ER if you knew it was just one of your normal experienced migraines:confused:

If you wasnt sure( as it seems) then RCI did the right thing and this is coming from way less than an RCI fanboy! You were a liability plain and simple:)

Wow, OP I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Have you thought of having a letter typed up and signed by your physician stating your issue and the symptoms that go along with it? I mean it could be useful in many situations, no just this one. (for future use)

Personally, it sounds like to me the 'medic' was trying to be a hero when really they probably should have just let you be once you explained the situation with your symptoms. You are an adult and only you know your own body. (I work in healthcare).

Once again, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I wish you the best.

On January 11th, we were supposed to sail on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore to celebrate our 40th anniversary. Instead, we got kicked off the ship at dockside because I came down with a migraine. I started having migraines at age 6, so I've had over 50 years of experience with them. By now, I know when I'm having a migraine and when I'm not. One of my major triggers is flashing lights, particularly bright, intense lights like strobe lights.

We got there in plenty of time, there about 10:30 when last check-in time was 3:00. Got into the stateroom, unpacked, had lunch, arranged for a shore excursion to replace one that was cancelled, etc.

Then they had the lifeboat drill. I didn't know that when they blow the ship's horn for the signal, they also have strobe lights going off in the corridor. Had there been notice either on the TV or in print, I would have had my husband check to see if it had stopped flashing, or had him lead me out while I covered my eyes. But since they didn't, I came out of my cabin and got one right in the face, no more than 10 feet away. IMMEDIATE migraine onset. And as bad luck would have it, there was a medic (? She never said one way or the other.) right there at the muster station. When I'm coming down with a migraine, I slur and stammer. This is a common-enough symptom that it has a name, dysphasic aura.

The medic insisted that I might be having a stroke, and wouldn't listen to me or DH telling them that this was the same set of symptoms that I have with EVERY migraine, and have had for at least the last 20 years. She insisted that I had to go to the infirmary. I finally allowed them to take me there, figuring that I'd tell the doctor I was in migraine prodrome, show him my migraine meds, and he'd know that there was nothing to worry about.

It didn't work that way. They gave me my Imitrex, but wouldn't listen when we told them that all I needed to do was lie down in a dark room for a couple of hours. They kicked BOTH of us off the ship and confiscated our shipcards so that we couldn't get back on.

They sent me in an ambulance to the ER, where the doctor took one look at me, had me do the very basic neuro test (squeeze hands, smile, check eyes), gave me an EKG, agreed that with my history of migraines, I knew what I was talking about, and discharged me. In and out in half an hour. (When was the last time you got through the ER like THAT on a Saturday afternoon?)

Meanwhile the cruise people packed up our stuff and called a taxi for DH. SonIL#2 got there first and took him to the hospital. When DH walked into the room, I was ready to leave. So we came home. Nothing else to do. The ship had sailed as soon as they got DH off of it.

We did get a refund of our shore excursions and wine package and stuff like that, but not the cost of the cruise itself. Our only recourse is to file with the travel insurance people.

For the last month, our travel agent has been fighting for us to get some sort of recompense from Royal Caribbean, but this afternoon we got a forward from her:

It will be a cold day in Hawaii before we step foot on a Royal Caribbean ship again. In the morning, I'm calling my local TV stations' Investigative Teams. We will also be consulting legal advice. You know that old saying, a satisfied customer tells one person, an unsatisfied customer tells 10? Royal Caribbean has not considered that in these days of widespread internet access, that number might be closer to 10,000.

And whatever you do on your next cruise, DO NOT admit to having a minor ailment. Or you might be the one dumped off in a strange city, unable to rejoin your ship, for no reason other than a headache or touch of indigestion.

So you chose not to purchase the Insurance protection for your cruise, is that right?.....

This sort of story is a reason why I have qualms about cruising. To begin with I have always wondered about the quality of doctors that are on board these cruise ships. I mean what kind of quack can't figure out the difference between a migraine and a stroke. She had meds for migraines and has been walked through strobe lights for Pete sake. The ER doctor had no trouble figuring it out.

There are too many stories about cruise lines throwing passengers all ships for no justified reason, then insurance companies are expected to pay for their wrongdoing.

This, more than anything else, with the possible exception of cruise ship fires and breakdowns, is making me wonder about this type of vacationing.

The symptoms she was experiencing during the muster drill, could indeed have been the signs of a stroke, maybe a bit of research would help you....:rolleyes:

The symptoms she was experiencing during the muster drill, could indeed have been the signs of a stroke, maybe a bit of research would help you....:rolleyes:

100% correct. The OPs first effects were also the same my dad had, as the tumour which we did know about started to apply pressure to his brain. It was all the hospital test similar to the OP that revealed our dad's life changing prognosis.

For the OP this sucks but what if your slurred speech was brought about for some other reason? If you were 100% certain it was from your migraine why wouldn't you "lay low" and retreat to your cabin after the muster drill? Hindsight is 20/20 so now It time to use your travel insurance.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Bottom line. This is terrible. But, They probably did the right thing, bad luck and poor timing for you. Hopefully your insurance will pay. Poor precedent to set that people need to hide illness on embarkation day. I would probably be done with them too just because they offered nothing as a gesture of goodwill, even though they didn't have to.

Sent from my IdeaTabA1000-F using Forums mobile app

Without expressing an opinion either way one complicating factor here is that it happened during the evacuation drill. If they think that there is something that may affect your ability to safely evacuate the ship then different things start to come into play. If the same thing happened in a real emergency it would add a certain complexity to the situation.

This sounds like a logical explanation-though it does not help the OP any.

The reason the OP is getting ripped by some is known as the "First post syndrome" Or The "one and done"theory. A phenomena that happens quite frequently here on CC.

100% correct. The OPs first effects were also the same my dad had, as the tumour which we did know about started to apply pressure to his brain. It was all the hospital test similar to the OP that revealed our dad's life changing prognosis.

For the OP this sucks but what if your slurred speech was brought about for some other reason? If you were 100% certain it was from your migraine why wouldn't you "lay low" and retreat to your cabin after the muster drill? Hindsight is 20/20 so now It time to use your travel insurance.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Yep, exact same thing happened to my mom; unfortunately the cruise line couldn't ignore those symptoms. As others have stated a letter from your physician explaining this might have helped thwart the actions of the ships doctor.

Corporate Guest Relations Advocate

Separately, I just have to wonder about a title like this. Presumably, it's meant to sound warm, like they're "advocating" on behalf of the consumer, but given the interaction and role, that's clearly not the case. So that can only mean the cruise line is hiring people to advocate for its side of the argument?!

How bizarre.

Can you imagine the lawsuit they would have had if a stroke victim had not been taken to the ER? With the current legal environment, all corporations must err on the side of caution.

Most migrane sufferers don't experience migranes when on low-carb, high-fat diets, so you might want to consider cutting out carbs just before the cruise to reduce the likelyhood of this happening on your next cruise.

You have got to be kidding. I am amazed by some of the medical tidbits some people drop around here.

So my assumption is the OP will be a "one post wonder" and not come back for any clarification. I'm not an RCI "cheerleader", but this one is on an either risk adverse or incompetent (but unfortunately fully licensed and credentialed) doc!Remember (from numerous previous posts, and onboard information) that the ship's doctor is legally an independent contractor and RCI assumes no responsibility for their action or inaction. That provides RCI legal top cover and leaves the doc hanging out to dry. With the OPs history, there's no way on earth any ER would do more than a quick rule out and release, which was what happened. The ship's doc was unwilling to accept that risk and offloaded his or her case on the ER (if you know an ER doc or nurse, this happens all the time).

Frankly, I hope the OP has private travel insurance and the insurance company goes after the quack that put them in this position. But, this one ain't on RCI, unless they violated their own policies and didn't hire a qualified physician...

I wouldn't be so fast to knock the doctor. Unlike a private physician who is responsible to the patient, a ship's doctor also has to consider 3000 other guests as well as the fact that they are heading out to sea where a medical emergency is going to be much harder to deal with than it is when the ship is dock side. I've had plenty of patients come into the office and tell me what was wrong with them. Plenty of times they are right. A good healthy dose of skepticism has served me well for the times that they were wrong.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I understand (sort of) RCI "covering all the bases" and sending the OP to the hospital. Since it was so close to sailing, they had no choice but to have the OP & DH miss the cruise.

Where I think RCI messed up was not refunding the cruise costs. If nothing else, do it for as a PR move.

I am so sorry the original poster missed what was a a long planned cruise to celebrate a special milestone.

I think this is a good reminder that cruise insurance really needs to be considered if you have any kind of existing medical condition. It is a good idea in my opinion no matter what but especially if you have a known condition. Be sure to purchase within the waiver period. With insurance you do not have to rely on a cruise company to determine specifics of your case and if a refund is warranted.

Too many people think only around the odds of something happening and not the impact if something does happen. Think carefully about insurance as part of the cost of a cruise before you book your trip.

The doctor's onboard must consider all passengers. I have 2 personal events. I fell and broke my wrist onboard. A very competent doctor put me out to set it. No matter what, there was no risk to other passengers.

Someone sailing with our group had an issue (actually took too much heart meds), He was medi-vacced from the ship. If he had gotten worse, and there was no way of knowing since we only had his word that he thought he had taken a double dose, the cruiseline and doctor could have been held liable.

Both of us had insurance. In my case, RCL didn't charge me for the service. My friend collected everything from his insurance.

That is the purpose of insurance - for unforeseen events such as this lady had.

I really don't think RCL owes her anything - perhaps a goodwill gesture? But owe her a refund - no.

She should be carrying a letter from her doctor.

Royal caribbean do not have "medics" they only have doctors and registered nurses. I know. I'm a paramedic and I tried applying and they don't have such positions. So it must of been a gung-ho medic on vacation that wants to play Rickey rescue.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app