Grand Cayman or Roatan? Help me decide.

ValerieJo

About ready to head off on our cruise shortly and while aboard, we'll be booking next years cruise. We'll be taking my grown son and his girlfriend on their first cruise. DH and I are mid and late 50's. Kids are 30ish.

I'm looking at the Western Caribbean route out if Tampa as the price is affordable to take the kids. The routes are pretty much the same except for one port. One route has Grand Cayman, the other has Roatan as a port stop. The other stops are Cozumel, Costa Maya & Belize. We've done the route before with the Grand Cayman stop. We've never been to Roatan. The Roatan route is a bit cheaper, but not a major factor in the decision.

Have you been to both Grand Cayman and Roatan? Which would you prefer and why? I'm leaning a bit toward Roatan only because we've not been there.

Help!

Thanks.

Been to both several times. Myself, I prefer Roatan over Grand Cayman, much more scenic, not flat,prices for food and drink much less, very safe. Can get a driver all day for wherever, whatever for as little as $25 PP if there are four of you..Beautiful beaches, less crowded than 7 mile when we were there..My vote is Roatan...

Roaton, for me, been to Grand Cayman 3 times, Roaton twice, Stingrays are great and so is the turtle farm, but Victor Boden and his monkeys and other critters rock, Roaton is much more senic too. I think we are done with Grand Cayman.

haven;t been to either but going to Grand Cayman this Christmas so have done a LOT of research and even though I'm stealing other's posts will forward a couple to you.

I started compairing zip lines so most will specialize in that area and have decided hands down that doing it in Costa Maya is what I want to do.

per cruisemaniac

I'm not sure what other ports you're going to but both Roatan and Belize have zip lining as well. In Roatan we've gone twice. Both times we booked through Victor Bodden but went to two differant places. I think the first was Jungle zip and was really good. The second was at Victors and was not quite as good as the first but we still had a great time. We had time for lunch and the beach for something like $70 a person. In Belize I think Major Tom is doing a combo river cave tubing (a blast, but a good 1 hour drive) and zip line. I'm sure you can get more info on the treads for Roatan and Belize.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106435

wish I had seen this post before deciding on on first Christmas cruise on RCI this year.

Going to Grand Cayman this year for the first time with the family (kids second cruise)

Any suggestions? I've also been comparing zip lines and leaning towards Costa Maya on my bucket list. Have either of you done it in Roatan or Belize?

We have been to both a couple times. If you haven't done the stingray trip then I would say Grand Cayman, otherwise my vote is Roatan. We like the much more laid back feel and the beaches are nicer and less crowded. Aslo as someone else pointed out, much less expensive. GC is about as expensive a stop that you will find in the western caribbean.

We didn't even get off the ship last time we stopped in GC. It was nice to have a much less crowded ship to explore.

Either way...Have a great time!

We really liked Roatan. Everyone said it felt more relaxed than most any other Caribe island and that they would like to return.

Many cruises go to GC (and so you'd be likely to end up there on a cruise eventually) but you wouldn't normally book a Belize/Roatan.

We'd go back to Roatan in a heartbeat.:)

Roatan wins easily in my opinion. Grand Cayman is a bit dull in my opinion. Roatan has a lot more rich culture to explore than Grand Cayman. In fact, I will be going to Grand Cayman on my NYE cruise on the Grandeur, and Grand Cayman is the only port where the excursions are not exciting me much.

As a matter of fact, I feel that the western Caribbean itinerary has more depth and culture than the eastern islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In Roatan if you go to Mahogany Bay, the port Carnival built, there is only the port there no town or anything else. They have a cable car to take you to the beach on an island next to the port (for $$$) or you can walk over a long bridge to get there. We don't bother to get off the ship here any more. The other Roatan port is different but we haven't been there in quit a while.

If you want to go anywhere else you must take a cab or a tour.

In Grand Cayman you can swim with and feed the sting rays, a GREAT tour. But don't go with the ship's pricey tour. Go with Captain Marvin who you can find on Google. He has been doing this tour for years. There is also the turtle farm where you'll see turtles the size of a silver dollar and a few hundred pounds. There is also a town called Hell- with a post office so you can mail postcards from Hell! There is also 7 mile beach which is actually 5.6 miles long. This is a tender port so if the weather is bad, you won't stop here.

Edited by Bonnie J.

I like to see the new places for myself, so that is where I'd recommend you go.

Look into independent excursions. We went to a resort for the day in Roatan (we were on Carnival Legend) and it was wonderful. But we passed many ziplining places on the way to the resort and next time I'd probably do that instead of the resort.

ALSO, Grand Cayman is a tender port and Roatan is not. Which is a plus in my book. Re: Grand Cayman, we have done the stingrays which was cool, we also did a 1/2 day sail which was great, and next time we'll hang at 7 mile beach.

Hope you have a great cruise on whichever ship you go!

Edited by mizlorinj

We've been to both. For Roatan, I'd treat it like a private island day if your ship is going to Mahogany Bay. The beach there is beautiful. It's a short walk. I don't know why so many people were riding the chairlift.

We stayed on the ship on one of our stops in Grand Cayman. We decided not to bother tendering to the island. It was great to have a half-empty ship to enjoy while most passengers were on the island. I also agree that snorkeling with the stingrays with Captain Marvin was a blast. The young adults would probably enjoy doing that.

Since based on your past crises, you will be on a RCCL ship so will dock at Coxen Hole in Roatan and will absolutely need to take a shore excursion to get to a beach.

We've been to Grand Cayman & Roatan many times over the years. Our pick would be Roatan ... very interesting place once out of the port area. Lovely beaches. :)

LuLu

~~~~

We have been to both several times. I love both for different reasons. Grand Cayman was awesome for the stingray sandbar. We had a blast. We have done it twice. I hope to go back to Grand Cayman to visit an awesome snorkeling place I had heard about.

However, Roatan remains my favorite port. We have never had a bad time there. If you like to snorkel, check out my review (in my signature line) on Maya Key. It is simply AWESOME. Also a beautiful place to go is Little French Key...heaven on earth. Then there's zip lining to be done there as well. :)

Roatan is much more laid back..but beware of the no seeums on the beaches!! Once bitten they will itch the rest of your cruise:eek: I used a strong deet insect repellant and still managed to get several bites on my feet an legs at Mahogany Bay.

We did Victor's tours on one cruise and after a great zip line expereince he took us to a beautiful secluded white sandy beach, we were the only ones there..we did not know of the no-seeums and got bitten all over..nice beaches but you really have to use strong insect repellant

Edited by Michael Kays