Zuiderdam Live May 6-17 B2B Coastal and Inside Passage

It could be that the port is getting started on summer projects in the main terminals. Not much cruise ship traffic from now until late September in San Diego.

I'll be out on the tip of Naval Base Point Loma (just past the submarines) that allows one to stand very close the passing ship. Less than a ship's length away.

igraf

Travel tip: Ask about post-checkout luggage storage when selecting a pre-cruise hotel. As you are now aware, this is a critical hotel feature. HAL did not begin embarkation until close to 2pm on our recent Veendam cruise out of San Diego. What a shame to have to sit in the terminal for hours when one could be touring our fine city.

It appears that the tent on the dock is used for the ships at the south side. This could be interesting with delayed embarkation- the tent isn't that large and appears to be very "basic" with a sani-can next to it. Not looking forward to being crammed into it for any amount of time. We need to be out of our room and don't want to be walking around town with all of our carry on. The main lobby is under construction and the front desk is in a conference room so not a lot of storage space. Also our room is closer to the pier than the lobby.

Has anyone used this side of the terminal? I can't believe with all of the ships HAL brings in here they would allow this- we are the only ship in port. There is a big terminal next to the North dock and a brand new terminal 1/2 a block down at Broadway. Anyone know if they use the terminal for check in or is everything in the "tent"?

Edited by igraf

A tip for anyone staying at the Wyndam across from the terminal. the rooms are lovely however, do not get a room with an adjoining door. Ever. The doors are thin.

The neighbors were, well.... frisky and boisterous. All night. It sounded like a remake of The Exorcist. I called the desk at 3:30am and told them if I heard "Oh God" screamed one more time I was going to start yelling "The power of Christ compels you".

Too funny!!

We boarded at noon-yay!

So far can't find Pinnacle manager, hydro pool is out of order, and Neptune is closed.

Statwin-we'll be up there when it opens I amam in white and blue collared shirt-loren in blue tee

Looks like all of the in-transit passengers going off now.

Big crane loading big wood crates onto the sun deck above Crows Nest

During my lunchtime walk. Haven't been on her yet, but have been on the Oesterdam twice and the Statendam and Ryndam once each. Thinking about Eastern Caribbean on the New Amsterdam in March.

We boarded at noon-yay!

So far can't find Pinnacle manager, hydro pool is out of order, and Neptune is closed.

Statwin-we'll be up there when it opens I amam in white and blue collared shirt-loren in blue tee

Frank, Is "Uncle Sam" the PG Manager? He was on the Zuiderdam last year and our PG manager on three of our last five cruises. He lives in Vancouver.

He told us last May he would be on the Noordam in January, but was assigned to a different ship. We have a gift for him.

Thanks,

Ken

Picture below:

IMG_1383Large.jpg

Edited by kjw869

Frank, YAY that you were able to board at noon. Looking forward to hearing how the Neptune is, as well as everything else. I am also hoping Sam is the PG manager. Ken and Sue always raved about him and now I know why.

Diane

Will find out if it is Sam.

Neptune opens at 3. 5190 is GREAT!!!

Amazed it was closed when you boarded but I guess it had something to do with the deep cleaning maybe?

Hope you found startwin and hope to meet you both some day.

Have a great cruise and here's hoping the Noro disappears quickly.

Amazed it <Neptune Lounge> was closed when you boarded but I guess it had something to do with the deep cleaning maybe?

FYI - On our Zuiderdam cruise in Feb/March, the NL was not open when we boarded the ship. (Actually, the doors were open, but no hosts were in there.) I thought it was because we were the first to board. By the time we came back from Safety Drill all was as usual in there.

Edited by Linda&Vern

NL opened at 3 pm and is fully stocked- no self service during code orange.

Hydropool is still closed due to Noro- they said they can't sell us a package for Collecters- they had no idea what Collectors is (we got the same letter Ken got last year offering us a PG dinner and discount on packages in the spa :)

So far haven't been able to find the PG Manager to discuss our reservation and table request. One of the servers has been at the podium and didn't know how to look at our future reservations. We are in there now 9 out of 11 nights and want to make sure we get one of our favorite tables.

No discount on Internet packages until at least Vancouver. Library person said no discount on Coastals- tried to explain we were on a B2B but she looked at us like we were crazy.

Ship is in GREAT shape- steward is great. LOVED the Dine In.

Suite party tonight in Crows Nest. More to follow.

The ship was on the south side due to having to use the crane. There is no room on the north side to boom anything onboard. General boarding began slightly after noon instead of 2 pm. There were 15 buses available for either airport transfers, city tours, hotel transfers or shopping shuttles. The problem remains that the street in front of the pier is reduced to one lane in each direction due to construction. For more than 2 years the immediate vacinity of the pier has been doing some upgrading. NOW, the parking lot across the street has begun to morph into a hotel/residence. So 2 more years of construction lie ahead.

David

Sam was the PG Manager on the Amsterdam beginning in December 2014 but left the ship about halfway through the World Cruise as reported by Bill and MaryAnn on their blog.

Yes, Mark Pells, the HD on the Noordam told us that in late January of this year.

Last year, Sam was to board the Zuiderdam in Vancouver on it's first cruise to Alaska for the season. The PG Manager that Sam was to replace, had problems with his visa and Sam had to fly to Puerto Vallarta to join the ship a week or so before his assignment.

We enjoy his smiling face every morning. Hope he's onboard in four days. :)

Hopefully code red will be over soon and hydro pool and hot tubs can re-open.

GREAT dinner in the Pinnacle tonight. We finally connected with the PG Manager and she took great care of us. I had pork chop- Loren had Rib Steak- both perfection and great service. We are in there 9 out of 11 nights now.

Concierge told us that Sam is in charge of crew mess on one of the ships now.

Hopefully will meet Statwin soon- if anyone hears from her we are in 5190.

All good here- looking forward to yelling hi up to Diane in Vancouver :-)

Bumpy back here in the tail tonight

We finally connected with the PG Manager and she took great care of us. I had pork chop- Loren had Rib Steak- both perfection and great service. We are in there 9 out of 11 nights now.

Glad to hear you got your Pinnacle reservations nailed down. Nine out of eleven dinners? Going full vegetarian, I see. ;)

Thanks Frank. Sorry we won't get to see Sam. Glad all your reservations came through for you guys in the Pinnacle. Did you get the table you wanted? I don't know who is in 6166 between us but I hope they have a sense of humor.

Diane

Echo Chuz Chic's comments, especially about the $'s.

I disembarked May 6, and can testify to the slow wifi.

Glad you were able to board so quickly. They were indeed doing a deep clean. It's a good sign if the NL was self serve, as it wasn't that way when we were waiting in there to disembark.

You probably know by now the PG manager, Amet, left the ship in PV to go be with his wife as she is about to deliver their baby. Dian, one of the waiters, is serving as the PG manager

We found the MDR food to be very good, a couple of misses out of 18 days wasn't too bad. If you decide to take any dinners there, ask for Osman, the open DRM. Tell him Alan and Tim told him to take care of you. :D

Have a great cruise, and keep up the reports if you can stand the slow wifi!

Ps - wanted to add that you are sailing with one of the most friendly and outgoing captains, Christopher Turner. Hope you were able to meet him at the suite passengers reception.

Edited by RJ2002