Did anyone notice: Wine bottles prices went up by 21 % !

rubens

Thanks to Cruisenut (May 2014) (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2042016)

and LSimon (March 2013) (http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf)

I was able to compare the prices of wine bottles.

I was totally astonished that in one year the prices on ALL bottles went up by at least 21 % - not a few wines (due to winemakers increases or shortage) but each and EVERY single bottle !

Only a few examples:

BOLLlNI, PINOTGRIGIO, TRENTlNO, ITALY: March 2013: $ 32,-

April 2014/ $ 38,50

KENDALL JACKSON, CHARDONNAY, VINTNER'S RESERVE:

March 2013: $ 31.-

April 2014/ $ 37,50

CAKEBREAD CELLARS, SAUVIGNON BLANC, NAPA VALLEY:

March 2013: $ 66.-

April 2014/ $ 80,50

The cheapest bottles that used to start at $ 25,- are now $ 31,-

I read that X is offering 10 % discount on wine bottles for those who bought the premium drink package: how great is this when they first increase prices by 21 % !

Our next cruise is in 4 weeks and at time of booking we did not get the free package.

We never bought a package because we’re just fine with a bottle for 2 a day and a cocktail each but with such prices I’m not happy with the way X is acting.

Oh, forgot to mention: on Princess prices start at $ 24,- with many under $ 30.-.-

Thanks to Cruisenut (May 2014) (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2042016)

and LSimon (March 2013) (http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf)

I was totally astonished that in one year the prices on ALL bottles went up by at least 21 % - not a few wines (due to winemakers increases or shortage) but each and EVERY single bottle !

Only a few examples:

BOLLlNI, PINOTGRIGIO, TRENTlNO, ITALY: March 2013: $ 32,-

April 2014/ $ 38,50

KENDALL JACKSON, CHARDONNAY, VINTNER'S RESERVE:

March 2013: $ 31.-

April 2014/ $ 37,50

CAKEBREAD CELLARS, SAUVIGNON BLANC, NAPA VALLEY:

March 2013: $ 66.-

April 2014/ $ 80,50

The cheapest bottles that used to start at $ 25,- are now $ 31,-

I read that X is offering 10 % discount on wine bottles for those who bought the premium drink package: how great is this when they first increase prices by 21 % !

Our next cruise is in 4 weeks and at time of booking we did not get the free package.

We never bought a package because we’re just fine with a bottle for 2 a day and a cocktail each but with such prices I’m not happy with the way X is acting.

Oh, forgot to mention: on Princess prices start at $ 24,- with many under $ 30.-.-

Where can I find a list of Princess wines? It would be interesting to compare pricing for specific wines.

Where can I find a list of Princess wines? It would be interesting to compare pricing for specific wines.

There are a couple on the Princess Cruise board, here is one of them. Maybe someone can do a quick comparison?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2041503&highlight=wine+list

Edited by RickT

Not surprised. They sprung a $2 increase at Bistro on 5 (that's a 40% increase folks) and $5 increases at the other specialty restaurants. Dinner for two at Murano is now $100 (without drinks!). My days eating at these restaurants are officially over. I suspect a lot of loyal Celebrity/RCL customers are thinking the same as me. Idiotic decisions coming from the corporate offices to bolster the bottom line.

Not surprised. They sprung a $2 increase at Bistro on 5 (that's a 40% increase folks) and $5 increases at the other specialty restaurants. Dinner for two at Murano is now $100 (without drinks!). My days eating at these restaurants are officially over. I suspect a lot of loyal Celebrity/RCL customers are thinking the same as me. Idiotic decisions coming from the corporate offices to bolster the bottom line.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a specialty restaurant paying the full price. Over the past year, there are almost always dining room folks all over the ships trying to sell dinners at Tuscan/Murano/Qsine for 20-30% off...and that's during the cruise, not even the first night.

I'm not sure MSRP matters....unless you must have a certain time on a certain night.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a specialty restaurant paying the full price. Over the past year, there are almost always dining room folks all over the ships trying to sell dinners at Tuscan/Murano/Qsine for 20-30% off...and that's during the cruise, not even the first night.

I'm not sure MSRP matters....unless you must have a certain time on a certain night.

MSRP sets the baseline, so when it goes up that 15-30% the discount means less to nothing... especially when it comes to the OP's alert about wine prices.... we just sometime feel like a bottle with dinner now and then

Thanks for the heads up on the wine increase rubens....

Definitely bringing a couple of barrels of wine onboard for our upcoming cruise. :p

12598559-illustration-of-two-wooden-barrels-on-a-white-background.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Celebrity prices were already ridiculously high for wine compared to many competitors. As Brits our other cruise line of choice is P&O and a comparison of wine lists already showed a massive difference in price. P&O also allow you to bring your own on board for consumption in your cabin. This is just taking the mickey and likely to swing our focus back to P&O if itineraries are similar.

We would normally buy a bottle a night and have another couple in the fridge for sailaways etc but will certainly question this policy on our next x cruise in October.

It must depend on when you sail. There were no discounts to be found on our New Year's cruise on Silhouette.

I was disappointed based on all I'd read here prior to leaving, but finally booked Murano after several days of fruitless searching for the advertised discounts. Absent any discount, we decided to pass on Qsine.

Edited by cruisemom42

It must depend on when you sail. There were no discounts to be found on our New Year's cruise on Silhouette.

I was disappointed based on all I'd read here prior to leaving, but finally booked Murano after several days of fruitless searching for the advertised discounts. Absent any discount, we decided to pass on Qsine.

New Year's week would be an anomaly as it is probably the most traveled week of the year. We almost always pay a discount rate on X and RCCL. On the Infinity last week they offered half price at Quisine or SS on the first night and we went to Quisine. They were always around the ship offering some type of discount.

Paying a full price or discounted price is not the point. The point is that even a 30% discount off of $50 results in a higher cost than a 30% discount off of $45, & not every sailing even offers a discount.

I have yet to see a discount at Bistro on Five, & while $7 is not a game changer, when you think of it in terms of a 40% increase! it is substantial in any terms.

Celebrities wine prices have historically been higher than those of Princess, & if Princess has not recently raised their prices, that remains the case.

I love Celebrity, but have to wonder if they sometimes think that their passengers are totally naive.

Edited by richsea

Paying a full price or discounted price is not the point. The point is that even a 30% discount off of $50 results in a higher cost than a 30% discount off of $45, & not every sailing even offers a discount.

I understand the math...but in our case, our decision is whether eating at Murano or Tuscan Grill is worth $30/$35 extra....not $50 extra. If the price was $35 and they offered no discounts, there would probably not even be a discussion here on specialty dining prices.

Yes, it's true that probably not every cruise offers discounts, but if we don't get a discount and don't dine in a specialty restaurant, that's not a problem...we also have a few local restaurants that we've never tried because they are incredibly expensive.

I understand the math...but in our case, our decision is whether eating at Murano or Tuscan Grill is worth $30/$35 extra....not $50 extra. If the price was $35 and they offered no discounts, there would probably not even be a discussion here on specialty dining prices.

Yes, it's true that probably not every cruise offers discounts, but if we don't get a discount and don't dine in a specialty restaurant, that's not a problem...we also have a few local restaurants that we've never tried because they are incredibly expensive.

And hey :rolleyes:

"You're on vacation" so why even look at what stuff costs! :p

Prices are going higher... you like it or at least care less about than the OP and many, I don't care for such large increases. :cool:

Just to be clear the OP wasn't about specialty restaurants, it was about price increases on the wine list

Edited by A Sixth?

And hey :rolleyes:

"You're on vacation" so why even look at what stuff costs! :p

Prices are going higher... you like it or at least care less about than the OP and many, I don't care for such large increases. :cool:

Just to be clear the OP wasn't about specialty restaurants, it was about price increases on the wine list

sorry...post #5 diverted the discussion.

sorry...post #5 diverted the discussion.

Potato, Poytato... :p

Does seem like prices have gone up a lot in some places.... not just a few pennies and quarters on some things, "X" is going for dollars which to some of us makes no "sense". :D

Edited by A Sixth?

Potato, Poytato... :p

Does seem like prices have gone up a lot in some places.... not just a few pennies and quarters on some things, "X" is going for dollars which to some of us makes no "sense". :D

People will vote with their $'s. If wine prices are too high, they will know quickly because they track that revenue very closely. If specialty restaurant bookings and/or revenue go down, they'll also know quickly. If the move is revenue neutral or positive, then they made a good business decision, I guess even if we don't like it.

[

-

Hello,

ah, not a good news... booked on the Constelation for 12 days to the Baltic in July.

I sailed on the Eclipse 2 years ago in July, and noticed that the wine prices were not so high.... compared to Cunard, where prices are just ridiculous.

I guess Celebrity is catching up.... In my view, this is stupid because it may deter people to buy wine. I do buy bottles, I try to make each last two nights..... but i'm not happy to pay a high price (and I usually get the 'affordable ones'....

Jacques O, paris

Are you comparing prices from a sailing out of the UK, where the prices you're looking at INCLUDE the 15% service charge, against a sailing out of North America, where that fee is added AFTER the price you see?

That would account for a big majority of the price increase.

Premium package gets 20% discount.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Are you comparing prices from a sailing out of the UK, where the prices you're looking at INCLUDE the 15% service charge, against a sailing out of North America, where that fee is added AFTER the price you see?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Bingo!!!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Nope.

The thread that is noted above, and the prices quoted, are Alaska, this month, Solstice.

Nope.

The thread that is noted above, and the prices quoted, are Alaska, this month, Solstice.

I wouldn't put it past Celebrity, that is a big increase. I would hope maybe it is left over pricing on Solstice from Australia, but it doesn't look that way.

This all being said, we've thought wine price were pretty reasonable compared to restaurants on land, of coure it is going to be much, much more than in a store.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We'll bring our alloted two btls of wine with us, see what is included by the glass in the classic package and look for the Elite coupons that provide a discount on two btls .if still offered.

high markup for sure on all alcohol....food prices at home also sky high these days!

Celebrity seems to be gouging it's loyal customer base. While we will be new to Celebrity, we approach knowing that the bottle wines are expensive. Having been spoiled by five cruises aboard MSC, where bottle wines are very affordable, we have decided not to buy any Celebrity wines by the bottle, but rather go glass by glass with the classic package. If that does not satisfy, we will try the premium package wines.

Edited by neptuno

Celebrity seems to be gouging it's loyal customer base. While we will be new to Celebrity, we approach knowing that the bottle wines are expensive. Having been spoiled by five cruises aboard MSC, where bottle wines are very affordable, we have decided not to buy any Celebrity wines by the bottle, but rather go glass by glass with the classic package. If that does not satisfy, we will try the premium package wines.

You may find that you like the "glasses of wine" as an alternative to the bottle. During dinner I may have 3 different wines (pairings by the somellier) rather than drinking the same thing all evening. I have discovered many excellent wines that I would never have ordered on my own this way.

Sad to see wine prices increasing, but the cost of everything has gone up this year- our homeowners insurance up 15% this year, cost of steak dinner at a local restaurant up 20%, cost of propane to heat house up 21%, movie theatre increased evening prices from $7.50 to $ 9 & I could go on & on.

Unfortunately it is not just Celebrity, prices are going up significantly on many everyday expenses.