Silhouette - any free food poolside?

Travelergirl

I didn't know about a free scoop of Gelato.......how did you find that out?

Also, every evening there is a special on Gelato where you can get 2 for 1. Finally, they charge (or at least they did on Silhouette and Eclipse) the same for one scoop or two................YUM!:)

Wife and I always indulge in the Gelato a couple of times each cruise and I would highly recommend..............ESPECIALLY the rum raisin!!!!!!

Captains Club members get ONE free scoop of gelato per cruise. There's free ice cream in the buffet area.

Travelergirl, we've been nickeled and dimed on Princess and every other cruise line, except for the luxury lines. They all charge for one thing or another and they all have something that one gives for free and the other charges for. That's the way of the cruise line business. But you definitely cannot say that Princess doesn't nickel and dime, because they do.

If you are Captain's Club Select level then when you enter your cabin there will be a printed letter on the desk informing that you are invited to special activities like the repeat cruisers cocktail party.

There will also be a perforated sheet of "coupons" that you can separate. The free scoop of gelato is one of those.

I am using Select because that is what I am and this is what I received on my February Silhouette cruise.

Sue

Also, every evening there is a special on Gelato where you can get 2 for 1. Finally, they charge (or at least they did on Silhouette and Eclipse) the same for one scoop or two................YUM!:)

Wife and I always indulge in the Gelato a couple of times each cruise and I would highly recommend..............ESPECIALLY the rum raisin!!!!!!

If you are a Captain's club member, you should receive a coupon book in your cabin. There is a coupon in there for a free scoop of Gelato. Totally agree with you........rum raisin is the best:D:D

OP, I just started this thread, and intentional or not, you do come off sounding very negative. You will find X very similar to Princess--just better!! You can get a plate of food from the buffet and eat it poolside if you don't fancy a burger. There is a made to order sandwich area plus a variety of hot dishes, carving stations, etc.

Don't miss Bistro on 5--delicious crepes, soups, salads and paninis for $5--may be $7 now, but worth it in any case. An excellent spot for lunch when boarding.

If you are Captain's Club Select level then when you enter your cabin there will be a printed letter on the desk informing that you are invited to special activities like the repeat cruisers cocktail party.

There will also be a perforated sheet of "coupons" that you can separate. The free scoop of gelato is one of those.

I am using Select because that is what I am and this is what I received on my February Silhouette cruise.

Sue

We were on Silly last year in the Med. We are Elite and don't recall seeing any coupon for free Gelato. My DH loves Gelato. We will have to check this time we are on the Silly doing the Med. If it was there then, we missed it. Has anyone seen it recently?

The free gelato was added at the time of the changes to the Captains Club last fall. We had the coupons on our cruise last month but never used them.

Also to the OP, you can also often get substantial discounts on the specialty restaurants should you choose to dine there. We have gotten 50% off on multiple occasions. I also should mention that there is an afternoon tea layout in the buffet with finger sandwiches and scones that are quite good. And about an hour after that there is a sushi bar that lasts for several hours and makes a great snack especially if you have late seating dinner. So there's definitely no shortage of 'free' food

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The solarium bistro has limited hours, so be sure to get there on time to dine. They have great little bread sticks for a snack, as well as healthier desserts.

The fries at the Mast Grill are so good that I have to avoid that area, LOL. Sometimes they have cookies there too. :D

There is free candy and ice cream in the entrance to the buffet all day.

If you have sailed 3 times on Celebrity then you must be enrolled in the Captains Club which means you also get one free gelato during the cruise. It's so yummy. You can also get free pastries and tarts, cake etc at Cafe al Baccio. However, you do have to pay for the Specialty coffees there. Get yourself a free cup of coffee from the buffet to enjoy with your free pastries. You will be very well fed on Celebrity's "included with your cruise fare" food.

Yes, there is trivia 3x/day here and there. There is Zumba ($13/class since Canyon Ranch took over the spa in April). We often find that we have to choose between two activities that are scheduled at the same time. We never lack for things to do on the sea days no matter how many there are (have done 8 in a row).

How do you get the free gelato for being captains club member? That's news to me Going on 2nd celebrity cruise in June. Any other benefits I should know about? Thanks

If you are not in aqua class do they still offer 50% off in specialty dining rooms during a seven-day Caribbean cruise? We will be sailing in December and I am sure we will want to do at least one night in specialty dining room, but will wait to book while we are at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are not in aqua class do they still offer 50% off in specialty dining rooms during a seven-day Caribbean cruise? We will be sailing in December and I am sure we will want to do at least one night in specialty dining room, but will wait to book while we are at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good morning:)....there is no way to tell you 100% on here. Each

cruise is different......I would say you will be able to find out once

you board the ship;)...they have wait staff set up inside the terminal

(usually) and there is normally a table set up just outside the buffet

with a waiter from one of the Specialty Restaurants out there.

They can tell you if a discount is being offered:)...sometimes it

can be a buy one get one, sometimes it is a discount...you just

never know.

The gelato coupon was added when captains club was revamped and new levels were added, in late 2013

Thanks, will be looking for that on our next two Celebrity cruises this fall.

I'm just reporting what the signage indicates, also in the Daily I read: "beachwear, flip flops/bare feet and baseball caps are not permitted in shipboard restaurants at any time. I have seen passengers in wet and drippy bathing suits asked not to enter the buffet as well

That must be one of the most broken rules on the ship. I don't wear bathing suit, but do wear shorts and flip flops every day on ship and use the buffet dressed that way. Maybe "restaurants" doesn't include the buffet??

That must be one of the most broken rules on the ship. I don't wear bathing suit, but do wear shorts and flip flops every day on ship and use the buffet dressed that way. Maybe "restaurants" doesn't include the buffet??

Hi,:) I think you are correct because I would say at least 90% of folks

are in shorts/t's, flip flops of some sort while in the buffet....that would

be on a Caribbean cruise:).....probably more long pants if you are sailing

to Alaska.....:)

Edited by Lois R

?..

We love the buffet on Celebrity, so much so, we skip the MDR entirely on Celebrity cruises.

We picked up what we like in the buffet and take it elsewhere to enjoy. We like peace and quiet, so look for a quiet place on board.

If you know what you like, it is easy to find what you want and enjoy it on any line. You don't need to pay extra to do so.

Happy cruising.

For u, in case u didn't know, or others that might not know, you can order dinner from the regular MDR menu and have it delivered to your room any/all night(s) of cruise. We are two sailings away from elite+ and have never had dinner in the MDR.

We have attended the brunch and can just imagine how loud the room is for dinner. We aren't big fans of long dinners and are even less fans of loud dining rooms, so find eating in room, or on balcony, or even on outside deck on beautiful evening, to be much more intimate and enjoyable.

I love eating 8 meals a day!! on ship. There are plenty of free eating opportunities.

You are asked not to wear bathing suits into the buffet when you enter to grab your pizza, or ice cream; also not to go in barefoot, so please bring sandals, shorts, t shirts, cove rips with you to the pool if you intend to go there to get food

No baseball caps? I am pretty scary looking after a day at the pool. I'm in big trouble. Lol!

There were lots of baseball caps and sun visors on our cruise a few weeks ago. People need to chill out and stop controlling. It's vacation. Have fun and focus on being happy! Lots of time for angst at the airport! :D

Karen

Sue

Would we get the coupons this being our first Celebrity cruise? When I log in, I see that we have Select status (coming from RCL). I want some of that gelato!

Would we get the coupons this being our first Celebrity cruise? When I log in, I see that we have Select status (coming from RCL). I want some of that gelato!

Yes you will get the coupons. Enjoy!

It looks like Celebrity Silhouette charges for every item available. And that is fine if there are people who want to pay. That is not my interest.

My question is that usually there are free burgers and pizza and ice cream poolside on other ships. I do not see anything in the write-ups about Silhouette offering this option. Are the only fee-free F&B options in the main dining room and the buffet?

Also are there any activities on sea days on the ship like Trivia and Zumba and games and line dancing?

Travelergirl -- Fear not!

Celebrity has MORE free food options and MORE extra charge options than Princess. Just because there are available options for an extra charge does not mean that Celebrity is lacking in free food options.

No extra charge options: Here's my list of no extra charge options available on Silhouette and whether there is a Princess equivalent with my opinion about which is better:

- Main Dining Room (Celebrity has the edge)

- Blu (This is the MDR for Aqua Class guests. It's not open to regular, nonsuite or nonaqua spa guests).

- Buffet (Celebrity is clearly better on S-Class at breakfast and lunch with much more extensive offerings that vary more than what's available on Princess. Celebrity's dinner offerings at the buffet are not as extensive as Princess -- which offers a dumbed down version of what's in the MDR -- but is still good)

- Aquaspa Café (Most of the items are free though there are some items that require an upcharge. It's located in the solarium and there's no Princess equivalent)

- Poolside -- Burgers and hotdogs -- I don't know how Celebrity manages to make these taste so good when most other lines make theirs taste like a school cafeteria but there you go. Edge to Celebrity

- Pizza -- On Celebrity it's available in the buffet from 11am until very late. On Princess, it's by the pool. I thought this was one of the few areas where Princess had the edge.

- Ice Cream -- A huge edge to Celebrity. It's available free from 11 until late in an ice cream parlor at the buffet. There's both hard ice cream in many flavors and soft serve as well. There's candy and toppings to make a sundae. On Princess, there's free ice cream for 1 hour in the afternoon in two flavors in a makeshift table in the buffet. Otherwise, there's pay ice cream available out by the pool. Also, on Celebrity, you can get ice cream from room service at any time.

- Café al Bacio -- Breakfast pastries and elegant sweet snacks available all day. The coffee is extra charge, the pastries are free. Princess has something similar.

- Room Service -- Celebrity lets you order from the MDR menu when it's open and have it delivered to your room. Princess lets you do that if you have a balcony BUT CHARGES YOU FOR IT.

- Drinks -- Celebrity has a more extensive list of no extra charge juices and soft drinks. Moreover, all of its coffee is brewed coffee. The only place that you can get brewed coffee on Princess is at the International Café and they charge for it.

Extra Charge Options. Both Princess and Celebrity have extra charge dining. Celebrity has more of them and the list price can be more than Princess on a few of them. Two things to keep in mind: First, in no case is there a Princess equivalent that is FREE. Generally, there just simply isn't a Princess equivalent. Second, and here's a well-known secret, Celebrity will discount them if they're not selling well. I've never paid full price. Here's the list:

- Murano

- Tuscan Grille

- Qsine

- The Lawn Club

- The Porch $5

- Bistro on Five $5

- Gellateria (but you can get one free scoop)

Another Tip to Get "Free" Gelato. Yes, it's true that if you are a Captain's Club member, you now get a coupon for one free scoop of Gelato. The gelato is excellent but so is the free ice cream so I never really bothered to pay for the gelato until . . . I found out about this trick. I usually get the Premium Alcoholic Beverage package. With that package or the Premium Non-Alcoholic Beverage package you can get an Affogato from Café al Bacio. An affogato is a scoop of gelato (any flavor)and a shot of espresso.

So Travelergirl, here's my bottom line: Celebrity doesn't nickel and dime you any more than Princess. You'll find subtle differences between the two lines but they are more alike than they are different. I think (overall), you'll find Celebrity to feel less crowded, more comfortable (especially the bedding), with better cabin design, and better food. If you don't like it after your Silhouette cruise, Princess will be happy to welcome you back with open arms. They offer a good product, just not as much to my taste as Celebrity. Enjoy your cruise and stop expecting the worst!!!

To the OP - for the Porch and Bistro on 5, remember its $7 per VISIT, not per ITEM. So you can go for lunch and order several things (as many as you want) for one price. Both of these venues are excellent and great deals, IMO.

No extra charge options: Here's my list of no extra charge options available on Silhouette and whether there is a Princess equivalent with my opinion about which is better:

- Main Dining Room (Celebrity has the edge)

- Blu (This is the MDR for Aqua Class guests. It's not open to regular, nonsuite or nonaqua spa guests).

- Buffet (Celebrity is clearly better on S-Class at breakfast and lunch with much more extensive offerings that vary more than what's available on Princess. Celebrity's dinner offerings at the buffet are not as extensive as Princess -- which offers a dumbed down version of what's in the MDR -- but is still good)

- Aquaspa Café (Most of the items are free though there are some items that require an upcharge. It's located in the solarium and there's no Princess equivalent)

- Poolside -- Burgers and hotdogs -- I don't know how Celebrity manages to make these taste so good when most other lines make theirs taste like a school cafeteria but there you go. Edge to Celebrity

- Pizza -- On Celebrity it's available in the buffet from 11am until very late. On Princess, it's by the pool. I thought this was one of the few areas where Princess had the edge.

- Ice Cream -- A huge edge to Celebrity. It's available free from 11 until late in an ice cream parlor at the buffet. There's both hard ice cream in many flavors and soft serve as well. There's candy and toppings to make a sundae. On Princess, there's free ice cream for 1 hour in the afternoon in two flavors in a makeshift table in the buffet. Otherwise, there's pay ice cream available out by the pool. Also, on Celebrity, you can get ice cream from room service at any time.

- Café al Bacio -- Breakfast pastries and elegant sweet snacks available all day. The coffee is extra charge, the pastries are free. Princess has something similar.

- Room Service -- Celebrity lets you order from the MDR menu when it's open and have it delivered to your room. Princess lets you do that if you have a balcony BUT CHARGES YOU FOR IT.

- Drinks -- Celebrity has a more extensive list of no extra charge juices and soft drinks. Moreover, all of its coffee is brewed coffee. The only place that you can get brewed coffee on Princess is at the International Café and they charge for it.

Extra Charge Options. Both Princess and Celebrity have extra charge dining. Celebrity has more of them and the list price can be more than Princess on a few of them. Two things to keep in mind: First, in no case is there a Princess equivalent that is FREE. Generally, there just simply isn't a Princess equivalent. Second, and here's a well-known secret, Celebrity will discount them if they're not selling well. I've never paid full price. Here's the list:

- Murano

- Tuscan Grille

- Qsine

- The Lawn Club

- The Porch $5

- Bistro on Five $5

- Gellateria (but you can get one free scoop)

Another Tip to Get "Free" Gelato. Yes, it's true that if you are a Captain's Club member, you now get a coupon for one free scoop of Gelato. The gelato is excellent but so is the free ice cream so I never really bothered to pay for the gelato until . . . I found out about this trick. I usually get the Premium Alcoholic Beverage package. With that package or the Premium Non-Alcoholic Beverage package you can get an Affogato from Café al Bacio. An affogato is a scoop of gelato (any flavor)and a shot of espresso.

So Travelergirl, here's my bottom line: Celebrity doesn't nickel and dime you any more than Princess. You'll find subtle differences between the two lines but they are more alike than they are different. I think (overall), you'll find Celebrity to feel less crowded, more comfortable (especially the bedding), with better cabin design, and better food. If you don't like it after your Silhouette cruise, Princess will be happy to welcome you back with open arms. They offer a good product, just not as much to my taste as Celebrity. Enjoy your cruise and stop expecting the worst!!!

BKFlowerMound--

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of dining options. It's a complete and succinct description of all options. I just booked my first Celebrity cruise and this is invaluable. :)

Also, I agree--it doesn't appear that Celebrity nickles and dimes more than any other cruiseline (I am familiar with Royal) and, in fact, they seem to have more options.

SeminoleFan