Bait and Switch?

rrforster12

I just signed up for a Back-to-Back aboard the Caribbean Princess for a Nov cruise and noticed that the "Port Charges" of $542 per 7 day cruise were more then the cost of the cruise. When questioned, the Lines agent would only say there were "Sur Charges" added. Whats up with that?

I just signed up for a Back-to-Back aboard the Caribbean Princess for a Nov cruise and noticed that the "Port Charges" of $542 per 7 day cruise were more then the cost of the cruise. When questioned, the Lines agent would only say there were "Sur Charges" added. Whats up with that?
I'd call back and ask to speak to a supervisor as that doesn't sound right. Princess has no control over the government fees and port charges are those are a set amount no matter which cruise line you book with. Some ports charge more than others plus the amount of the charges depends on the amount of time the ship remains in port.

It's not "bait & switch" but rather most likely an error by the reservation agent. That's why I use a TA plus I save money since Princess allows TAs to discount cruise fares.

Interestingly, the CB is only doing 4 day and 5 day cruises this November so OP appears to have some facts wrong.

The OP's question has resulted in even more questions because they have not returned to answer them which results in confusion about their situation. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Interestingly, the CB is only doing 4 day and 5 day cruises this November so OP appears to have some facts wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Unless you consider the 9 day combo cruises that show up on the Princess website. Check out what is available when you plug in Caribbean for the destination, 9 days for the length of cruise and Caribbean Princess for the ship and then click on November for the month:

http://www.princess.com/find/search.do?

Oh, 9 day cruises. Hmmm.

First of all as far as I can see there are no 7 day cruises on the Caribbean Princess in November 2014. The ship is doing 4 and 5 days trips which can be joined together for 9 day b2b's. The highest "Taxes, Fees and Port Charges" I see for 9 days is $283 for two passengers ($141.50pp) and the lowest is $243 ($121.50pp). Is your Travel Agent combining other charges such as transfers and insurance with port charges and calling them surcharges? Ask your T.A. for a breakdown of the charges. Something doesn't sound correct.

This is the definition of "bait and switch"

"Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching")."

Do not think that this applies to your problem. Also, as others have said, there is an obvious problem somewhere in the Princess computer system. Call them again. BTW - do you have a TA. If so, also call them.

DON

there is an obvious problem somewhere in the Princess computer system. DON

I don't think the problem is with the computer system. all of us are seeing the same thing and its not what the op said.

rrforster12, come back! we can help if we have more information.

First of all as far as I can see there are no 7 day cruises on the Caribbean Princess in November 2014. The ship is doing 4 and 5 days trips which can be joined together for 9 day b2b's. ........

I suppose that you could combine cruises, ie: 5 + 4 + 5 or 9 + 5 to get 14 days. Maybe that is why the OP thinks there are two 7 day segments. Guess we will only know if the OP comes back and gives more info.

This is the definition of "bait and switch"

Hmmm. First-time poster asks an obviously screwy question, lets people try to help, and doesn't respond.

OK, maybe not a bait and switch. "Kvetch and disappear?"

Nov 2015 I believe the OP means. I saw nothing like what OP says, I think I saw $190. Inside starts at $599 pp. If this is a legit post it would be nice if the OP came back with more info.
The taxes, fees and port expenses are only $95 per week for the 7 day 2015 cruises. Some travel agents actually break out the non commissionable portion of the cruise fare and lump that with the taxes, fee and port charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you do a bit of research, you will see that this OP joined in 2013, he/she is 76 years old and this is his/her first post to CC. This person may not know how to pursue this or respond. Perhaps this person was even helped with this initial endeavor.

If you do a bit of research, you will see that this OP joined in 2013, he/she is 76 years old and this is his/her first post to CC. This person may not know how to pursue this or respond. Perhaps this person was even helped with this initial endeavor.

Many people in that age range wouldn't even consider the possibility of an almost instantaneous answer. They may feel that checking back in a week would be plenty early. A lot of people (including many who are in a far younger age bracket) don't even check their email more often than once a week or so - assuming that they have an email account and a way to check it.

If he went through a TA, it might be the way the TA breaks down the charges in their invoice. For example, a cruise I booked a while back showed a Princess website fare of $2349pp with taxes, fees, and port charges of $156.00 for a total $2505. I transferred the booking from Princess to a TA and his invoice was a cruise fare of $1713pp with taxes/fees of $655.00 for a total $2368. I think he told me why the difference in the way it was broken down, but I forgot. I only care about the bottom line. I have since changed to a different TA who generally has better deals and her invoices reflect Princess.

Edited by billco