Is your cabin type/area that important to you?

aaron3219

When we do "escape winter" cruises I prefer a balcony. We don't always get one, but I do prefer one. We also pay a premium to stay at a pre-cruise hotel that offers balconies. If we are traveling that far, for that much money, I want to be able to enjoy the weather ;)

We try to avoid being over or under certain areas on the ship. On my first cruise we were "upgraded" to a cabin under a dining room. Could hear vacuuming late at night. One of our favorite cabins (a midships obstructed, but not really, OV on the Golden Princess) wasn't over a passenger cabin, but an open area with a lounge under it. So we did hear some muffled singing in the evenings, but that didn't bother us at all, and the singing always stopped before we tried to sleep. When we had booked that cabin, it was one of the last ones available along with window suites that cost more than twice as our OV, but even if we didn't mind that,, they were down from the cigar bar (and when we were exploring the ship, the hallways where the WSs were really stank).

If it's an itinerary that tends to be rough, we go for midships (I tend to get motion sickness). We did have a couple of far forwards and I was fine.

So when we book, I will have the deck plan handy and we do select a specific cabin and mark our booking "do not upgrade."

it is to me. mid ship, mid deck (or lower), balcony. i'll never book anything less than balcony. im possibly making an exception for wanting to try for aft balcony on our future cruise. doubt i can get DH to agree to how much more they are, though. if not, then its a cove balcony, for sure!!

we use our balcony, so its not a waste for us. a lot of people find it a waste because they're not in their room enough for it and all they need is an interior or OV.

mid deck or lower: the higher you are, the more you'll feel the ship move. some people dont mind it, others do. while it doesnt bother me, i just prefer not to feel it.

mid ship: again, motion of the ship.

and i also prefer starboard side

im also a bit freakish with numbers, so i also wont have a cabin number unless it either ends in a 5 or 0. preferably one with a 5, but i'll compromise with the 0 (multiple of 5) and i know the ending in 0 is port side, but its an easier compromise if there are no starboard sides with 5 endings. im weird that way LOL

Why do you prefer starboard side?

Why do you prefer starboard side?

its another weird thing of mine. i feel better on that side. being on port side just doesnt feel "right". and that also goes with starboard side having odd numbers. as i said in my PP, a cabin number that ends in a 5 is a must.

i really cant explain why. :o

We made the mistake of getting a balcony on our first cruise; so we always get a balcony now. I like to take pictures when coming Into the ports from the balcony while having room service coffee and toast. It's a great way to start each day of the vacation. I just watch for good deals and check the price often after booking to see if we can get a better deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The longer the cruise the more the location matters. An oceanview is fine for a shorter cruise but a balcony is needed for a longer one. I want to be close to the elevators and the self service laundry (if there is one). I do not want to be directly above or below a public deck.

Is the cabin we get important in our decision to get on the ship.

Absolutely not.

Our criteria for choosing would be: In order of importance.

1) Price (search for bargains, offers, perks)

2)Itinerary (we look for places we have not as yet been to, which is pretty much everywhere except Caribbean, Panama Canal, TA at present)

3)The ability to link a few cruises together when we have to travel outside of Australia so we can a keep the average per day cost as low as possible by spreading the air cost over as many days as possible. For this same reason we will put up with any seat on a plane.

4) Ship. We prefer RCCL and Celebrity but will choose others if the cost is significantly less (20% or more) for similar time/itinerary.

BUT once I do the booking I will search like crazy to find the best category cabin in the best location on the ship for the price or close to the price we have paid for the booking. I like a nice cabin but I will accept any cabin to get on the ship.

We prefer a balcony and haven't sailed in anything less since the mid-90's. Otherwise we're not too particular.

Price and itinerary are bigger priorities for us, but if we can get a mid-ship, higher cabin at a reasonable price, between cabin floors, of course that's better.

We also like prefer cabins more aft rather than forward, but it's not a big deal. We really like cabins on the Lido deck, and actually have grown to like cabins near elevators/stairs for convenience. So far, no extra noise from those cabins.

We book guarantee cabins quite often and so far haven't had a bad one--a little more forward than we'd like has been the worst.

I don't think I'm overly fussy but we prefer midship, ocean view or balcony if it's a good price. Stayed in an interior once and won't do it again! I can't stand not having any light coming in during the morning(never sure what time it is during the night) or knowing what the weather is like when I get up in the morning :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, it is.

I need an ocean view minimum due to motion sickness. An inside cabin is begging for issues on that front.

I prefer a balcony. If I can get a better balcony for the price, then I'll do it.

I prefer midship or aft for location purposes.

I like to be in between decks of cabins to reduce noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am important to me, so yes, the location and type of cabin is important as well. As is the ship, the cruise line, the itinerary, the time of year, the cost, etc, etc, etc. No way would I just leave everything to chance. I value my infrequent vacations too much to just roll the dice and not care if it ends up craps.

Yes, it is.

I prefer balcony cabins because it's a nice place to relax in the morning, and before bed...without whatever may be going on in the main deck areas. It's a nice perk.

I like choosing a floor that is between two floors of cabins, so I am not directly below the Lido deck, or directly above the atrium/dining rooms/bars/etc.

I like choosing the room location as well. I avoid being right by the doors between the elevators and the rooms, as it's a high traffic area and is prone to a lot of noise most of the day and night. I also avoid being directly across from the laundry room -- same reason, noise.

It's obviously impossible to control ALL the possible interruptions and annoyances, but I try to avoid the obvious ones. I still pack earplugs, and refuse to let other people ruin my vacation. :)

Pretty much sums it up for us, with a couple of additions: If we can get it, an aft facing balcony cabin is perfect, never tiring of watching the ship's wake. We actually love the ship's motion, so prefer higher decks. We may be in the minority, but love some 'quiet time' several time a day in our cabin, so it's worth it to us to spend a little extra, especially on longer cruises.

Edited by Kartgv

Our first cruise we were mid ship and had a balcony, I think we got spoiled because now I wouldn't go on a cruise without getting a balcony. We truly enjoyed sitting there on our private recluse just watching and listening to the water, it was like heaven to me.:rolleyes:

I've been lucky enough to get a large 4J on the Lido deck usually 9203 althought some have been remodeled to become an ocean suite over the Outcroppings of the bridge (see beyondships.com for deck plans) those 4Js give you the price of an inside +11.50/pp/day but a window and access to the "Secret Balcony" outside. OK its at the front of the ship but I've never really felt the movement like some do. It's a quick walk down to the buffet and the pool

Edited by iahawkize

Ha!:p It's good to hear I'm not the only number weirdo!:o For me, it's gotta be an odd number. But I'll make an exception for numbers ending in 0 and for palindromes (such as 8008).:cool:

That gave me a chuckle. I haven't heard about this before.

It is important to me. Has to be a balcony. It is great to get away from the "crowds" sometimes. It is nice to have morning coffee or evening drinks and relax. Love to be out there when coming into port. Great to have company over for drinks also. Location must also be away from a lot of noise.

I guess technically we have preferences when it comes to cabin type-we book one of the cheapest inside cabins on a higher deck we can find!:D

We try to conserve as much of our vacation fund as possible. We are hardly in the cabin and do not see spending money on nicer digs when we could spend it on other experiences while on vacation.

We do like to be mid ship, and that is mostly because we are a bit lazy and do not like walking too much, especially on larger ships like Allure or Independence of the Seas. Besides that, whatever deal I can score on an inside room we grab ASAP.

We haven't bothered much in the past and have happily booked 'guarantees'. However, we did come unstuck last time we did this and ended up over the theatre. Fortunately, they were able to move us to an identical cabin elsewhere.

We've been happy with insides since our first cruise when we were so low down that the portholes were locked shut for most of the cruise due to bad weather - no point in paying extra for an OV and then not getting it!

However, the more often we cruise ( we are still in single figures) the more we learn what we do, and don't, like - so the fussier we get. We are having our first balcony next month. We selected carefully and marked it 'no upgrades'.

We are having our first balcony next month.

Get ready to be spoiled. We find that having a balcony gives us two entirely different cruise experiences - one in the public areas with hundreds to thousands of other people where it seems we can never be alone for even a minute, and the other in the peace and quiet of our private balcony away from the crowds and noise. At times it is so peaceful and relaxing out there that it feels like we are the only people on the entire ship. Soooo very nice! Especially going out first thing in the morning right after we get up. We are usually awake well before we dock on a port day. No need to get dressed, comb our hair, brush our teeth to grab some fresh air and check on the weather conditions. Just us and the world passing by our balcony while we take in those precious first moments of the day as we and the world get ready for another wonderful day of new experiences.

Edited by boogs