What shoes make your packing list?

DesertPesce7751

I have only cruised to Alaska, and I live near port so don't have to fly. I typically take:

- 2 pairs dress shoes, one dressier than the other

- 1 pair low-cut hiking shoes (IF I plan on hiking/walking on non-paved areas)

- 1 pair sneakers (or 2 if I don't take the hiking shoes)

- 2-3 pairs of flip flops

Honestly, I end up wearing the flip flops on the ship during the day, most of the time. In port, sneakers or hiking shoes.

My husband takes 2 pairs - sneakers and dress shoes.

Makes no difference for length of cruise. I bring sandals for day time wear and one pair of white heels and one pair of black heels. My husband brings sandals for day time, one pair of brown, one pair of back shoes for night time, every night and 'formal' night wear. That's it!

a shoe-loving over-packer.":o

I'll confess: I pack a lot of shoes (and a lot of other stuff, too.)

I'm female, 39, and usually take 7-night cruises. I usually take 11-15 pairs of shoes on each cruise. Yep, that's right, about 2 pairs per day of cruise.:rolleyes::p

These include:

• 1 pair water shoes
  • 1 pair sneakers
  • 1 pair "Fast Flats" for late nights at dance club when I'm just over the heels.:rolleyes:
  • 1 pair Naot 'Elinor' in Coral Reef colour (flat, strappy sandals that are the most comfortable, all-day shoe I've ever owned)
  • 1 pair Naot 'Elinor' in Pine Green
  • at least 2 pairs of black, closed- or peep- toe heels in different styles for evening wear
  • 1 pair tan leather peep-toe pumps for evening
  • 1 pair brown satin peep-toe pumps for evening
  • at least 4 pairs of various styles of strappy (mostly wedge) sandals in various styles, heights, and colours
  • 1 pair super-comfy (but not very pretty), brown Naturalizer slip-on, low wedges
  • For my cruises out of Baltimore in Winter, I'll also take at least 1 pair of black high-heel boots (but I'll probably take a few less sandals on these cruises)

I know how ridiculous this list must look to many (most?) of you, but I don't fly to my cruises, I love shoes and like coordinating them to my dress, and I like having choices. Oh, and I'm a stay-at-home mom so I don't get the opportunity to wear most of these shoes very often in my "regular life".:o

And yes, I usually wear all or all but 2-3 pairs of these on every cruise.:)

Now I don't feel so bad. I usually wear sneakerson the flight and bring 3 pairs of dressy flip flops in black, grey and tan and then 3 pairs of heels in black, tan and grey as well. I do try to cross dress so these shoes usually are all I need. I take 6 pairs total and of course wear one on the plane when embarking the cruise as well.

I'm a guy. I pack two pairs of shoes and wear one on the trip down. For this month's cruise to the Caribbean, I wore my running shoes and packed a pair of casual shoes for the dining room (Hushpuppy slip-ons that are good enough for formal night since I was going to wear a sportscoat instead of tuxedo), and Crocs.

DH, also a guy, had six pairs: two pairs of casual/dress shoes for dinner, Crocs, flip-flops, sneakers, and Birkenstock sandals. And that was after I told him there wasn't room for another pair he wanted to bring.

Cold weather--haven't cruised in cold weather, but it would be the same as a land-based. I'd wear my riding boots and bring along ballet flats as well. Obviously if it were an expedition trip to Antarctica or something along those lines I'd bring Wellies instead of riding boots.

Warm weather--closed toe walking sandals that can double as reef shoes, blingy black sandals to wear to dinner, and another pair of sandals that are comfortable enough to wear around the ship or on shore excursions with generally flat, even surfaces and less than a couple miles walking or the beach.

Me -- female -- assuming a warm weather cruise

1 pair of heels -- basic pair that matches all my dinner outfits

1-2 pair basic daytime sandals in simple tan or white that match shorts or simple dresses

1 pair Keds tennis shoes

1 pair beach shoes

Him

1 pair tennis shoes

1 pair dress shoes for dinner

1 pair beach shoes

I forgot to mention DH.

He (mid-thirties) brings:

• 1 pair water shoes (which he would forget if I didn't pack them for him:rolleyes:)
  • 1 pair sneakers
  • 1 pair brown dress shoes
  • 1 pair black dress shoes

...and about 19 pairs of socks.:rolleyes:

I usually only bring one pair of heels for all formal nights. I bring a pair of flat sandals for day wear. I sometimes bring tennis shoes and/or close-toed flats for day wear in the winter months.

That is a basic list that would be the least I would take. I also like a pair of slippers. Water shoes if I plan to be at a beach.

About to go on my first cruise, we also have a week in Italy before and after. We are flying there from NZ with only 20kgs (40ish pounds) of luggage allowance. I am a chronic over packer, hubby is a chronic under packer.

I am female. I will be wearing my sneakers and taking 2 pairs of Merrill sandals (good walking sandals) - 1 black and 1 beige. Plus 1 pair of black heels. Debating taking 1 pair of dressier sandals so I don't have to wear heels every night but will depend on weight.

Hubby will be wearing sneakers and taking 1 pair of good walking sandals and 1 pair of black dress shoes.

We are traditional cruisers, DH is 82; I am 67: I use to take a 12 pair of shoes, slippers, pool, tennis and low heels, walking and heels for formal and the rest less formal nights. We usually do 14 days+ cruises.

I am cutting back, now one walking shoe, 2 dressy for formal nights, several heels in different colors.. we dress for dinner either informal or formal every night.

We are not part of the flip flop generation. Flip flops are okay for the pool or beach for us, other wise we would not wear them anywhere.

DH takes walking shoes, dress shoes, tux shoes for sure.

We still manage to stay within our 50 lb limit with two suitcases. We pack two carryons - I pack my formal items in my carryon. Works out well.

Are you hikers? Make sure you take a comfortable pair of walking shoes.

Do you plan to EVER dress up? Be sure you take shoes to go with your dressy outfit.

Do you need a heel height specific to a pair of slacks or jeans?

Going to the beach? Remember your thong sandals that take up virtually no room, and water shoes for the ocean.

I find that a neutral pair of Clark's walking sandals and a black pair of Clark's walking sandals covers just about everything else.

Also. I generally have a color theme I build my cruise wardrobe around. If you do that, pick a fun pair of sandals in that color and take them along.

Really important: DO NOT take shoes you have not broken in well. A blister on your heel or anywhere on your foot is no fun on a cruise.

Edited by eliana1122

We are a "middle aged" ;) couple who have only cruised in the Caribbean, in spring and summer. On our recent 7 night w. Caribbean cruise, I packed:

3 pairs of dressy shoes (heels), including one pair of shoes for dancing

2 pairs of casual flats

1 pair of casual flat sandals

1 pair of flip flops for beach /pool

1 pair sneakers for exercising

On cruises when a lot of walking at ports has been part of our plan, I have also taken take a pair of comfortable (non-athletic) walking shoes.

So far DH and I have either driven to the port or flown in, checking one bag between us, so I have not felt terribly restricted in packing. If I were trying to pack for a 5 or 7-night cruise in just a carry-on, I would limit my footwear choices -- probably cut back to one pair of heels and/or dance shoes, two pair of casual shoes, plus flip flops and sneakers. But because I like having choices, I ordinarily take at least what I listed above. On our 10-night cruise a few years ago, I probably took a few more pairs of shoes.

DH ("The Minimalist") takes:

1 pair dress shoes

1 pair sneakers

1 pair sandals

1 pair flip flops

and sometimes, 1 pair casual oxfords

The length of the cruise does not affect DH's footwear choices. (Heck, the length of his life would not affect his footwear choices! :rolleyes:)

Female. Have taken eleven cruises in length from 4 to 12 days, and the shoes I've taken for those included:

-1 pair slippers for hotel rooms and ship cabins

-1 pair of sneakers

-1 casual pair of sandals for daytime

-1 or 2 dress sandals for evening

I'm going to Alaska soon so will take:

-1 pair slippers

-1 pair of sneakers

-1 pair of sandals for daytime (in case it's warm)

-1 pair of dress sandals for evening

-1 pair of waterproof hiking boots

Edited by Azure Moon

If your DH looks anything like the adorable baby in your avatar, he must be a doll! :rolleyes: ;)

Awwwww, thanks.:o Yes, he's definitely the one my beautiful DDs can thank for the genes. Even after all these years, I still have no idea how a plain-Jane like me snagged a stud like him.:o But I sure am glad I did --despite his appallingly small shoe collection.:D:p