Ocean View Guarantee Not Honored by RCCL

My wife and I booked an Ocean View Guarantee stateroom on the 9/1/2014 Enchantment of the Seas. This afternoon (8/29/2014, 3 days before the cruise) we received a call from RCCL and were told that no Ocean View staterooms were available and that we were being placed in an inside stateroom. They gave us a $100 on-board credit for "the inconvenience". I told them that I would rather reschedule the cruise or cancel it altogether for a refund. They responded that those options were not available because the cruise date was too close. However, they were the ones who failed to honor their own guarantee when the cruise date was close. What does "guarantee" mean if it is not to be honored?? I consider this completely unprofessional and, even though we are Diamond members (and within 20 points of Diamond Plus), we will cruise on other lines in the future, not on RCCL!

This is the second time this summer that this has been posted here on this board. (we don't really know how many times it has happened, only what is posted here)

You need to tell them that this is completely unacceptable. Ask them for a better offer. Or tell them what YOU would consider an acceptable offer.

My wife and I booked an Ocean View Guarantee stateroom on the 9/1/2014 Enchantment of the Seas. This afternoon (8/29/2014, 3 days before the cruise) we received a call from RCCL and were told that no Ocean View staterooms were available and that we were being placed in an inside stateroom. They gave us a $100 on-board credit for "the inconvenience". I told them that I would rather reschedule the cruise or cancel it altogether for a refund. They responded that those options were not available because the cruise date was too close. However, they were the ones who failed to honor their own guarantee when the cruise date was close. What does "guarantee" mean if it is not to be honored?? I consider this completely unprofessional and, even though we are Diamond members (and within 20 points of Diamond Plus), we will cruise on other lines in the future, not on RCCL!

Did you escalate this to resolutions? I would have thought that since they could not provide the cabin that you had booked that a refund should be an option if they could not provide you with an Oceanview or higher category cabin.

Did they refund you the price difference between those two categories as well? They'd better.

Edited by sr4mjc

You need to tell them that this is completely unacceptable. Ask them for a better offer. Or tell them what YOU would consider an acceptable offer.

We did all that and were stonewalled. The call came at 4:15 PM on Friday afternoon and we could not get connected with a manager. Instead, we were told that the managers had left for the Labor Day weekend. Of course, the ship sails during that weekend! As I said before, completely unprofessional.

We did all that and were stonewalled. The call came at 4:15 PM on Friday afternoon and we could not get connected with a manager. Instead, we were told that the managers had left for the Labor Day weekend. Of course, the ship sails during that weekend! As I said before, completely unprofessional.

I would follow this up with a letter to agoldstein@rccl.com

At least that way while Adam may not personally read the complaint it will be dealt with at the appropriate level.

I agree with all above. Keep calling customer service or C and A until you get a more reasonable resolution. That being said I think inside cabins are fine, I just think they should give you the option of a refund if that's really all that's left or upgrade you to whatever level OV or higher has availability

Wow Bummer!!! I agree with everyone.

It's supposed to be that category or higher.

Don't give up on this one. Even if you end up taking the inside, still complain as they owe you for not giving you what was promised. You will only be taking it because someone told you there was no other option.

I'm sorry to hear you are being treated like this. This should be a happy time for you all. I am very surprised at RCCL and pray you hear the words "We are sorry. That was not the appropriate action."

Please keep us posted. I want to know the out come of this one.

Edited by ILuvCruisin'

I'd be calling C&A and I'd be trying to reach resolutions. if they cannot currently meet the promise inherent in the guarantee OV booking, they should do one of three things: refund you completely or make you a really good deal that will make you willing to sail in an inside, or convince somebody else in an OV to willingly downgrade to the inside by making them a really good deal.

actuarian, I cannot find the previous thread, so I am going on memory here. (always a risky proposition. I hope that someone will correct me if I am remembering wrong)

The earlier poster had a Suite (W) Guarantee, but was assigned a D level cabin. At first, RC refused to deal with the issue, as you are experiencing.

Ultimately, she was VERY happy with the resolution.

Here is the tricky memory part.

I *think* that she got both OBC and her full cruise fare refunded.

:eek:

actuarian, I cannot find the previous thread, so I am going on memory here. (always a risky proposition. I hope that someone will correct me if I am remembering wrong)

The earlier poster had a Suite (W) Guarantee, but was assigned a D level cabin. At first, RC refused to deal with the issue, as you are experiencing.

Ultimately, she was VERY happy with the resolution.

Here is the tricky memory part.

I *think* that she got both OBC and her full cruise fare refunded.

:eek:

And if my recollection is correct, the earlier poster got her positive results after an email to the agoldstein address posted by Ken earlier in this thread.

I just went thru a dummy booking with Expedia and it shows 3 outside staterooms on deck 3 available ..........

https://cruise.expedia.com/book/SelectCabin5.aspx?RtOptCode=A4237270&Sail_ID=MJ01140901MJ04S097&item=829321&Transaction=5&Shp=648&RateType=ON SALE&CatID=12627&Upgr=0&TnsType=O&ButtonID=ucCabinType_lstDetailOceanview_ctl04_lblCategoryName

Call RCCL and ask for one! :eek:

ETA- 3202 3204 and 3208 all show available!

Edited by emdia43

I just went thru a dummy booking with Expedia and it shows 3 outside staterooms on deck 3 available ..........

https://cruise.expedia.com/book/SelectCabin5.aspx?RtOptCode=A4237270&Sail_ID=MJ01140901MJ04S097&item=829321&Transaction=5&Shp=648&RateType=ON SALE&CatID=12627&Upgr=0&TnsType=O&ButtonID=ucCabinType_lstDetailOceanview_ctl04_lblCategoryName

Call RCCL and ask for one! :eek:

ETA- 3202 3204 and 3208 all show available!

No. Not sure if you were looking at the right date. No availability except for interiors.

No. Not sure if you were looking at the right date. No availability except for interiors.

They are still showing here- 1st September, Enchantment to the Bahamas for 4 nights....? 3202 -3204 -3208 all outsides. I'm looking at the lights blinking......!

Edited by emdia43

Good sleuthing! I was using the wrong search term, since I didn't remember the name of the thread. (I tried "guarantee" ;) )

This is exactly what she got:

Yes, sorry to be unclear. We got the $800 refund (which is really just the difference in price between the cabins - not compensation) plus the $1000 OBC.

Now, this was a week cruise, not a 4 nighter.

In other words, they refunded the difference between what she paid and what she got.

What did you pay for your OV guarantee? The interior is listed at $572 for two.