Ocean View Guarantee Not Honored by RCCL

The OP is going on the cruise so the out of pocket expenses you are factoring into the loss equation are not out of pocket or a loss at all because those same costs would be incurred if he was given another cruise at a later date:confused:

When faced with a use it or lose it scenario, and having spent real dollars out of pocket, would you not want what you paid for? If you spent nearly $700 out of pocket and incurred those other fixed expenses would you be happy with a $150 credit to buy stuff you may not want or need as sufficient to offset not getting what you paid for?

Royal should have given OP a CHOICE, not said "You get what you get and you don't get upset"

Also, please keep in mind, no one has verified that OP booked at a $109 rate. If this HAS been verified please show me the post and I'll admit to making a mistake, but I do not think it was verified.

It is immaterial to the fact that RCI is still handling this poorly, wrong, and in a bad manner. No one is available because it is a holiday weekend? Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July...all holidays! Guess what business Royal Caribbean is in? SELLING HOLIDAYS! :rolleyes:

I would think they at least would be giving OP a fair choice. The difference is right now they are giving OP NO choice.

See previous statement

Royal Caribbean doesn't care if or to what level a bunch of anonymous posters on a website may be upset; that has no bearing on being upgraded. No one has suggested OP demand an upgrade. What's wrong with expecting to GET what you pay for?

How does giving OP what they paid for cause cruise prices to go up? That's one of the most ridiculous comments I have read on here in a long time.

Hey, you asked the questions...

Simple answer really! By giving the OP more than he has paid for which in this case is already more than 1/2 the initial cruise fare in OBC.

Compensation is justifiable in this case but to what end will be debatable by different peoples views. what is clear is RCI cannot give him what he paid for even if they wanted to so there is no point in demanding it.

I am really upset with Royal over this, since I and many of my clients book GTY cabins regularly and have never heard of this happening. Scares the living daylights out of me!

So my question is, has anyone ever ready the fine print on the cruise contract to see if they can legally do this? If so, then that puts a new spin on things and makes me think twice about booking a gty again every. But if not, they this is a breech of contract and I would be furious pursuing legal action. But may Royal has that within their rights, I don't know, much like they can change itineraries at will. Anyone know?

Edited by jrljel

Simple answer really! By giving the OP more than he has paid for which in this case is already more than 1/2 the initial cruise fare in OBC.

Compensation is justifiable in this case but to what end will be debatable by different peoples views. what is clear is RCI cannot give him what he paid for even if they wanted to so there is no point in demanding it.

They have not even given him what he has paid for; therefore I do not agree that they have given him MORE than he has paid for.

Secondly, OP said they would change dates. RCI could definitely accommodate OP at another date. They are choosing to fight with a customer rather than work with them. So, yes, there is a point in demanding it.

If Royal Caribbean, or any other cruise line,can not hold up their end of a guaranteed category booking they should not OFFER guarantee category bookings.

If I booked a room at a shoreside resort and booked an oceanview guarantee and received a garden view and a nominal amount of resort credit I'd be pretty ticked off. Wouldn't you?

When faced with a use it or lose it scenario, and having spent real dollars out of pocket, would you not want what you paid for? If you spent nearly $700 out of pocket and incurred those other fixed expenses would you be happy with a $150 credit to buy stuff you may not want or need as sufficient to offset not getting what you paid for?

Royal should have given OP a CHOICE, not said "You get what you get and you don't get upset"

Also, please keep in mind, no one has verified that OP booked at a $109 rate. If this HAS been verified please show me the post and I'll admit to making a mistake, but I do not think it was verified.

It is immaterial to the fact that RCI is still handling this poorly, wrong, and in a bad manner. No one is available because it is a holiday weekend? Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July...all holidays! Guess what business Royal Caribbean is in? SELLING HOLIDAYS! :rolleyes:

Strange you flame me for presuming the OP paid the low fare price when your own original calculations were being defined by that same low price assumption :confused:

You seem to be missing the fact that nobody at RCI at present can give the OP what he wants, an OV cabin on this cruise because there is none available and they cannot authorise a replacement cruise at such a late stage during a long weekend without proper authority.

Wrong? yes its wrong, tragic? No its far from tragic.

Can it be sorted out after the long weekend? yes because OP has been sold a product RCI cannot deliver so he need not accept an inferior product and sail.

If OP accepts the OBC as compensation for loss of cabin and goes on the cruise then RCI staff need compensate no further but the may given the correct authority to do so.

I'm wondering what the reaction would be from 'the boards' if someone booked a Suite Garantee and was given a balcoy?

I do believe that was the last major thread about this same issue this summer. Booked a suite guarantee, received a balcony. I don't recall the resolution, though.

Fishtaco,you keep bringing up that the op is getting more back than they originally paid....I must have missed the post in which the op states what they paid for the cabin, can you give me that post number?

No I cant because that is only presumed but by more than me and how I found out about the $109 fare prices, OP has not denied the low fare or answered when asked very early on what price was paid.

Can you show me where I have mentioned the OP is getting back more from RCI than he paid:confused: because I cant remember or even find where I said that let alone keep on saying it:confused:

Strange you flame me for presuming the OP paid the low fare price when your own original calculations were being defined by that same low price assumption :confused:

You seem to be missing the fact that nobody at RCI at present can give the OP what he wants, an OV cabin on this cruise because there is none available and they cannot authorise a replacement cruise at such a late stage during a long weekend without proper authority.

Wrong? yes its wrong, tragic? No its far from tragic.

Can it be sorted out after the long weekend? yes because OP has been sold a product RCI cannot deliver so he need not accept an inferior product and sail.

If OP accepts the OBC as compensation for loss of cabin and goes on the cruise then RCI staff need compensate no further but the may given the correct authority to do so.

I think you're totally missing the mark here -- what the OP paid has no bearing on this whatsoever. The only important fact is that he/she bought and paid for something that Royal Caribbean can't provide. I disagree that they forfeit their right to pursue further compensation by going on the cruise. I think the OP is caught between a rock and a hard place, and I really don't understand or condone RCI's stance in this case at all.

I think you're totally missing the mark here -- what the OP paid has no bearing on this whatsoever. The only important fact is that he/she bought and paid for something that Royal Caribbean can't provide. I disagree that they forfeit their right to pursue further compensation by going on the cruise. I think the OP is caught between a rock and a hard place, and I really don't understand or condone RCI's stance in this case at all.
I agree with you 100%. The OP paid for an oceanview. That's what he should be given. Royal Caribbean has blown it as far as I'm concerned. It sure would make me think twice about booking a guarantee of any category.

$109 is a bargain and who in their right mind would have taken out insurance. If they drive to port it's a really cheap weekend no where near your estimate.

All that aside it's outrageous that taking a GTY is not a GTY. I also think that the OP might have been offered a refund but didn't want it because it was such a cheap cruise and RCL won't change the date because the following week might cost a whole lot more. RCL is essentially giving them the cruise for free but the OP might not want a free cruise in an inside cabin, I know I wouldn't.

RCL has lost credibility when they don't honor their contract and is concern for worry to anyone who takes a GTY.

As far as your remark about right mind and insurance. Anyone that doesn't get insurance Doesn't use their mind correctly. Insurance is $29 pp for that cruise.

If something happens and you need to be flown home in an air ambulance. If you are sick they put you off the ship. And that plane ride is about $25,000 No insurance you will pay. On another note if your luggage gets lost you buy new clothes and they reimburse you. It's not just protecting your fare.

I will be talking to the LA about this while on board next week. I could have happened to me and if royal treated me that way it would be the last time.

I think the OP will get this settled to their satisfaction.

My wife and I booked an Ocean View Guarantee stateroom on the 9/1/2014 Enchantment of the Seas. This afternoon (8/29/2014, 3 days before the cruise) we received a call from RCCL and were told that no Ocean View staterooms were available and that we were being placed in an inside stateroom. They gave us a $100 on-board credit for "the inconvenience". I told them that I would rather reschedule the cruise or cancel it altogether for a refund. They responded that those options were not available because the cruise date was too close. However, they were the ones who failed to honor their own guarantee when the cruise date was close. What does "guarantee" mean if it is not to be honored?? I consider this completely unprofessional and, even though we are Diamond members (and within 20 points of Diamond Plus), we will cruise on other lines in the future, not on RCCL!

Did some of the posters read the ' post' ?

The OP booked OV cabin and paid for it - who cares how much.

RCI could not provide the cabin that they took the money for such a cabin.

The OP offered them a way out, which he did not have to do - asked for a refund ...... did not get it

He offered them another way out of the original agreement - reschedule..... they refused

They offered some OBC which was not agreed by the OP.

So who is wrong here ?

What the OP did that some of the posters seem to not support him.

All he wants , according to his post is the cabin that he booked ...... or refund ( RCI took the money but did not provide the product ) or a later date cruise ....... I think that is very, very reasonable.

Edited by wieslaw

I'm wondering what the reaction would be from 'the boards' if someone booked a Suite Garantee and was given a balcoy?

Yes, here it is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2053348&highlight=suite+guarantee+oceanview

It seems that they are more likely to "downgrade", I won't use the other word, Florida people.

Edited by Coralc

I am missing nothing!

My thoughts are RCI need not compensate any more if OP does cruise with given compensation of OBC but that is just my thoughts and not fact.

I fully agree that RCI cannot provide a product they sold the OP so they are at fault 100% and I agree the OP is caught between a rock and a hard place, You and many others dont understand RCI stance in this case because you dont understand there is nobody at RCI during this long weekend that can attend to this matter before the sailing time putting those employees without authorisation also between a rock and a hard place!

If this was not a long weekend at the end of your summer or there was more time before sail day then I am sure somebody in authority at RCI would make a decision over the OP,s situation in the OP,s favour.

People are outraged and suggesting OP demands what has already been told to the OP is not possible with persons of authorisation not available.

I am not a cheerleader and far from it but I just see the situation as it is now.

RCI web site has just cancelled out my next booking for April 15 with loss of deposit but I cannot blame weekend call staff or expect them to fix RCI,s mistake if they cannot.

Sometime you just cannot strike while the iron is hot for a simple resolution and the OPs plight is one of them.

Perhaps I should have stated it you, and others, keep bringing up the cost the OP paid for the cruise, and I never saw that posted. I also agree with others that the cost has nothing to do with the issue, but the fact that it keeps popping up here as if it is fact is just plain irresponsible if it has not been stated by the OP.

You and many others dont understand RCI stance in this case because you dont understand there is nobody at RCI during this long weekend that can attend to this matter before the sailing time putting those employees without authorisation also between a rock and a hard place!

There's just no convincing me that RCI has no one available to cancel this person's reservation and give him a refund simply because it's Labor Day weekend. I don't believe it. Who the heck is managing the call centers?

You and many others dont understand RCI stance in this case because you dont understand there is nobody at RCI during this long weekend that can attend to this matter before the sailing time...

Read post 86 where the member said this:

Since you are a Diamond Crown & Anchor call the Loyalty Ambassor @ (800) 526-9723. They are open from 10:00 am - 8:00 pm on SAT and SUN

OP is a DIAMOND C&A MEMBER. Why they have not called the C&A desk and spoken to a supervisor is beyond me. We have tried to help here, told him to put this on Royal's Facebook page. There's just nothing else to be done until OP makes a move. *shrug*

This is simply interesting to me and I want to put it on my participated list, so it is is a useless post for the OP, but I would be seriously put out if I booked and OV and got an inside. I think he may be stuck with the inside for this sailing, but will be compensated with another free 4 day cruise of equal value. Will be interesting to see how this ends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are people who booked OV guarantees on the 2-night Oasis right now who were told the same thing: "oops, no more oceanviews; you get an interior". I am waiting to hear how that turned out.

Royal Caribbean has a different definition of guarantee than Merriam-Webster? :rolleyes:

There are people who booked OV guarantees on the 2-night Oasis right now who were told the same thing: "oops, no more oceanviews; you get an interior". I am waiting to hear how that turned out.

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Rental Car Agent: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the reservation.

Rental Car Agent: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.