Ocean View Guarantee Not Honored by RCCL

Maybe, maybe not. Port of embarkation is only 3 hours from OP's home. Would seem cost prohibitive to rent a room for 1 night during a holiday weekend just to save such a minimal amount of morning drive time. Who knows? I would like to know how this is resolved.

One thing is for certain; no blame can be assigned to OP for choosing a guarantee over a specific room.

We are near PC but 95% of the time travel day before to RCI/Celebrity cruises leaving from other Florida ports. Several others we know do the same.

Hope we get info on guaranteed cabins that makes sense. We have only done this a few times and was very beneficial when we got our assigned cabin :)

Edited by Scotty G

DH & I were discussing this at dinner tonight. Being Florida residents, we're now leary of Royal Caribbean in general. If they would do this to those with guarantee cabins, there's nothing that says they wouldn't do this to those with assigned cabins also. We're not sure we would trust RCI, until they get it together. In the immediate future, we'll be looking at other cruise lines. Hopefully, someone will come to their senses & see this is no way to conduct business.

So, because of 1 issue that has been posted here on CC you are now assuming that RCI is going to start switching around assigned cabins as well and that this is enough to stop you from sailing on RCI.

I'm thinking that if you read the boards for all of the other cruise lines you will find issues of equal magnitude that would also stop you from sailing on any of them. Will you sail on Carnival, I hear they had a couple issues last year.

Not saying that this situation is acceptable because it clearly is not but to assume that something that has not happened will start happening seems a bit dramatic to me.

Most cruise contracts are almost identical. All cruise lines reserve the right to switch your cabin at their discretion. Switching cruise lines will not protect you from this practice.

This may be true, but I've been reading boards of several different lines and RCI seems to be the only one that is involuntarily downgrading people. Maybe they all have the right to do this, but there is only one cruise line that is exercising this right.

This is the second time this summer that this has been posted here on this board. (we don't really know how many times it has happened, only what is posted here)

You need to tell them that this is completely unacceptable. Ask them for a better offer. Or tell them what YOU would consider an acceptable offer.

agree with you Mom.

So for the sake of a few hundred dollars (since we don't know exactly what OP actually paid for this cruise) RCI has generated over 200 posts of mostly negative criticism, on a widely read public forum. My dear Mother would have called this being 'Penny wise and pound foolish'! :confused:

When the TA cancelled the third person from a cabin with a capacity of four, did the TA warn you that the cruiseline might well change the cabin number whena larger party needed the cabin capacity? No? Too bad, as you could have faced the issue right then rather than waiting to discover it later.

No, the TA did not warn me, and again, I don't blame Royal for doing it - just that notification could have been better.

We boarded the Enchantment an hour ago and we're immediately given an invitation to meet with the manager of Guest Services. He informed us that a passenger in a balcony room had cancelled last night and we were being upgraded to a room with a balcony. So RCCL made it (better than) right after all.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I am sure that someone at RCCL read it and, more than likely, that is why we were taken care of.

We boarded the Enchantment an hour ago and we're immediately given an invitation to meet with the manager of Guest Services. He informed us that a passenger in a balcony room had cancelled last night and we were being upgraded to a room with a balcony. So RCCL made it (better than) right after all.

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I am sure that someone at RCCL read it and, more than likely, that is why we were taken care of.

Thank you for letting us know the resolution. Enjoy the heck out of your cruise!!

That's good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Have a great cruise!

Excellent! Glad they made it right for you.:)

Thanks for letting us know of the outcome. Enjoy your cruise in your balcony!:)

Bill

Happy ending...... have a super time and thanks for taking the trouble to let us know :D

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Great news!!!! Have a great cruise:D I love a happy ending!!!

Most cruise contracts are almost identical. All cruise lines reserve the right to switch your cabin at their discretion. Switching cruise lines will not protect you from this practice.

This may be true, but I've been reading boards of several different lines and RCI seems to be the only one that is involuntarily downgrading people. Maybe they all have the right to do this, but there is only one cruise line that is exercising this right.

Exactly deedeetoo! We all know the cruise contract for all cruise lines allows them to do anything short of physically harm people. I also read a lot of boards & I've never seen anyone involuntarily downgraded on any other line. I have seen people moved from one cabin to another in the same category or higher. That's a totally different situation.