How far before your cruise do you purchase airfare? What is your airfare strategy?

cruisecritiquer

We usually book with SWA as soon as the flights are available, which is about 6 months out. Then I check every couple days for lower fares. We've always gotten several reductions due to prices dropping between purchase and use.

However, this year is insane!! We're flying from Reno to FLL or MIA for our April 6 cruise from Port of Miami.

The prices are about 3x higher than we paid last year! If we were to use our SWA frequent flyer miles, it'd cost us more than 50K per person each way!!! That's over 200K for both of us! Plus there are half as many flight schedules as last year and all with terrible flight times and really long flights!! Right now SWA is just about the worst flights for us.

We'll wait until the first of next year and hope SWA changes it's flights $$ and schedules. If not, we'll certainly fly another airline.

Our friends from Oregon have the same issues this year!! :confused::confused:

We usually book with SWA as soon as the flights are available, which is about 6 months out. Then I check every couple days for lower fares. We've always gotten several reductions due to prices dropping between purchase and use.

However, this year is insane!! We're flying from Reno to FLL or MIA for our April 6 cruise from Port of Miami.

The prices are about 3x higher than we paid last year! If we were to use our SWA frequent flyer miles, it'd cost us more than 50K per person each way!!! That's over 200K for both of us! Plus there are half as many flight schedules as last year and all with terrible flight times and really long flights!! Right now SWA is just about the worst flights for us.

We'll wait until the first of next year and hope SWA changes it's flights $$ and schedules. If not, we'll certainly fly another airline.

We live near PHX and also use SWA a lot. Agreed with all you say plus SWA has, for some reason, become VERY unreliable. Every flight we have taken lately has been delayed. Recent direct flight PHX/LAS was delayed so much we could have easily driven in less time. They will lose lots of customers if this stuff keeps up.

We live near PHX and also use SWA a lot. Agreed with all you say plus SWA has, for some reason, become VERY unreliable. Every flight we have taken lately has been delayed. Recent direct flight PHX/LAS was delayed so much we could have easily driven in less time. They will lose lots of customers if this stuff keeps up.

I read an airline related blog called the Cranky Flyer that had an article about this: http://crankyflier.com/2014/09/16/how-southwest-tanked-its-operational-performance-and-then-took-a-year-to-fix-it/

SWA put more slack in their schedule last month (Aug-2014) and is back up to its 84% on time rate.

I dunno... SWA RR points are valued at around 1.6 cents. So, over $3,000 for two round trip RNO FLL?? Your numbers are a bit bizarre. You can't currently book SWA beyond 4/6/15 and assuming travel dates of 4/1 and 4/6...I can currently book that for about $1,200 for two. :confused:

CBS's travel expert (Peter Greenberg I think his name is) just did a story on this for CBS This Morning.

He says to book 3 months in advance, on a Tuesday, at 3 p.m., because that's when the airlines drop fares. And that Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday are the cheapest days to fly because of fewer business travelers.

I know it's all very specific, but I'm hoping he's right when I book a flight to Barcelona next year. I was taking notes! :)

I priced SWA from CLT to FLL and the cost is $509.70 x 4 = $2038.80 with a required stop in BW. :eek:

Hello cruisecritiquer, you are saying you saw a price of 5 hundred something for a RT from CLT to MIA or FLL? That is outrageous. No wonder I have been taking Amtrak. Well I'm not an expert on airfare, I have read a lot into the subject over the years, and as I stated in an earlier post, it is all a game. I don't understand why it is so much when CLT is so much closer to MIA or FLL than Syracuse, NY is, which is where I generally fly out of when I do fly. But, here's a thought, if you had time to play around on the computer couldn't you possibly find a cheaper flight flying into MIA or FLL from a different place in another state even, other than CLT, that has a layover in CLT, and just hop on the 2nd part of the flight right there in CLT & do the return just the opposite way. Or is this maybe not a legal thing to do? I don't see why not. I have also seen and heard of times when a one way ticket purchased in both directions has been cheaper than a RT ticket. Have you even thought of Amtrak as an option? I know it is slower than a plane, but since all the different fees has me training it instead of flying whenever possible, I find it less a hassle, no security checkpoint, no 3-3-1 policy, and you can show up 5 minutes before the train leaves and still make it. Just walk right on through to the platform with ticket in hand. You get choice of seats, first come first serve, much bigger seats than a plane, we often get 2 each where we can actually lay across and sleep, there is better scenery, larger bathrooms, you can bring drinks on with you instead of having to purchase a bottle of water that has a 400% mark up on it. You can even get a discount on the fare if you tell them you are cruising with NCL (20% or 10% if you are an AAA member). I am not a cheapskate, but love it when I feel I just got a real good deal!!!!!!! Best of luck to you.

Airfare is very tricky and having just spent a small fortune on fares from the West Coast to Europe I should know.

I am with you all about SW here from CA, and use them whenever I can as far out as possible if we are cruising domestically. I have also used Alaska Airlines on both cruises to Alaska and Hawaii for very decent and competitive fares. I use Kayak and Airfare Watchdog to watch flights for me.

I almost always do my own flights, use SW to FL for cruises out of there. Drive to LA for ones out there, and Alaska for the Alaskan cruises. You can get some fabulous deals into the pacific NW on SW but those fill up very fast. Alaskan Airline though has nicer planes.

Flying internationally, I looked for sales and was told by several that if I find a BA sale to jump on it and since DH loves BA and it is in and out of Heathrow, (which gave me an excuse to add a couple of days in London), I jumped on it.

I did learn from my wonderful TA help that some legs are cheaper booking alone. Airfare is not really too bad, and I got it less than least time with 2 more flights, so I am happy. It is however, still more than my cruise fare! Thank goodness for rewards points, I will like have enough to my the airfare free or at least take care of one ticket so I am happy overall.

Here in Britain it has paid us dividends in the past to book airfare asap.

We plan on taking the Epic out of Barcelona next August........I can only cruise in school holidays....peak time/price! :(

We booked flights last week at (what WE considered ) a reasonable price.....that price has ALREADY gone up by £30! I know it seems crazy that the airline will have our money all that time in advance, but I'm not convinced we would get a better deal by waiting......and anyway, I'm impatient to get the cruise fever going and this way.....well I can!! ;)

Can you please tell more about these credit cards? We are planning our first TA and it involves a LOT of planning including airfare.

Thank you.

UA, DL and AA offer credits cards where the first checked bag is free. They all have an annual fee, though, so be aware of that. Check their websites or just do a google search and you'll find info.

Hello cruisecritiquer, you are saying you saw a price of 5 hundred something for a RT from CLT to MIA or FLL? That is outrageous. No wonder I have been taking Amtrak. Well I'm not an expert on airfare, I have read a lot into the subject over the years, and as I stated in an earlier post, it is all a game. I don't understand why it is so much when CLT is so much closer to MIA or FLL than Syracuse, NY is, which is where I generally fly out of when I do fly. But, here's a thought, if you had time to play around on the computer couldn't you possibly find a cheaper flight flying into MIA or FLL from a different place in another state even, other than CLT, that has a layover in CLT, and just hop on the 2nd part of the flight right there in CLT & do the return just the opposite way. Or is this maybe not a legal thing to do? I don't see why not. I have also seen and heard of times when a one way ticket purchased in both directions has been cheaper than a RT ticket. Have you even thought of Amtrak as an option? I know it is slower than a plane, but since all the different fees has me training it instead of flying whenever possible, I find it less a hassle, no security checkpoint, no 3-3-1 policy, and you can show up 5 minutes before the train leaves and still make it. Just walk right on through to the platform with ticket in hand. You get choice of seats, first come first serve, much bigger seats than a plane, we often get 2 each where we can actually lay across and sleep, there is better scenery, larger bathrooms, you can bring drinks on with you instead of having to purchase a bottle of water that has a 400% mark up on it. You can even get a discount on the fare if you tell them you are cruising with NCL (20% or 10% if you are an AAA member). I am not a cheapskate, but love it when I feel I just got a real good deal!!!!!!! Best of luck to you.

We take Amtrak occasionally to Raleigh. I enjoy the train ride to the State Fair. I checked the route to Miami and unfortunately, we just don't have that much vacation time. :( From here it would literally take 24 hours to get there.

$684.00 USD

Friday, October 24, 2014

Charlotte to Cary

5:15 pm - 8:08 pm

2 hr, 53 min

76 Piedmont (Amenities)

4 Reserved Coach Seats

Friday, October 24, 2014

Cary to Miami

9:27 pm - 6:05 pm (Sat, Oct 25)

20 hr, 38 min

91 Silver Star (Amenities)

4 Reserved Coach Seats

VALUE

2 Adult

$228.00

2 Child

$114.00

4 Reserved Coach Seats

included

Subtotal

$342.00

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Miami to Cary

11:50 am - 8:15 am (Sun, Nov 2)

21 hr, 25 min

92 Silver Star (Amenities)

4 Reserved Coach Seats

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Cary to Charlotte

11:57 am - 2:55 pm

2 hr, 58 min

75 Piedmont (Amenities)

4 Reserved Coach Seats

VALUE

2 Adult

$228.00

2 Child

$114.00

4 Reserved Coach Seats

included

Subtotal

$342.00

Terms & Conditions Total $684.00

Fares are not guaranteed until we provide you with a reservation confirmation.

Regarding your second suggestion, from what I understand if you miss the first leg of your flight...your remaining leg (the connection) is cancelled. Maybe someone can correct me about that.

Regarding your second suggestion, from what I understand if you miss the first leg of your flight...your remaining leg (the connection) is cancelled. Maybe someone can correct me about that.

That would be correct - if you no show or otherwise do not use the first leg

of space the remaining legs are cancelled.

The exception to this if the airline caused the cancellation or caused you to

miss that first leg or any other in the itinerary then the subsequent legs

should be saved and protected - "BUT" as you well know nothing is for certain.

Follow up on this and made sure that subsequent legs or alternative routing

are in fact saved - get a printed copy of this !

YMMV due to choice of air carriers and how their contract relates to you as

the customer.

Don't go quietly and meekly about this matter it is your money and travel !

We usually book our cruises 9 months to a year out. I book the air the minute it opens. If cruising out of Miami, we usually go AA, and get great fares! (non-stop) If out of FLL, we go Jetblue - again booking as soon as they open.(we also have JB credit card). We have never gotten burned on air prices, considering we travel only during peak vacation/holiday periods, and air is crazy! I don't have the guts to wait, anyway!

I think years ago, your 3-8 week rule made sense. Today, I think more often jumping on the fares much earlier makes more sense. Usually about two weeks after they are released. This is especially true if a holiday week. There just isn't as much price cutting in fares as travel gets closer anymore.

Edited by conandrob240

I think years ago, your 3-8 week rule made sense. Today, I think more often jumping on the fares much earlier makes more sense. Usually about two weeks after they are released. This is especially true if a holiday week. There just isn't as much price cutting in fares as travel gets closer anymore.

I fly about 10 times a year (and it could be geographical) but the prices are never better (in CLT) more than 8 weeks out...certainly not months out. I think what just occurred in my OP is indicative of what usually happens with my flights although the price doesn't usually drop as much as it did this time. Of course, holidays are a different story. I just buy as early as possible with holiday flights.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

We usually book our cruises 9 months to a year out. I book the air the minute it opens. If cruising out of Miami, we usually go AA, and get great fares! (non-stop) If out of FLL, we go Jetblue - again booking as soon as they open.(we also have JB credit card). We have never gotten burned on air prices, considering we travel only during peak vacation/holiday periods, and air is crazy! I don't have the guts to wait, anyway!

Traveling during peak vacation and holiday periods is definitely a reason to book early!

I fly about 10 times a year (and it could be geographical) but the prices are never better (in CLT) more than 8 weeks out...certainly not months out. I think what just occurred in my OP is indicative of what usually happens with my flights although the price doesn't usually drop as much as it did this time. Of course, holidays are a different story. I just buy as early as possible with holiday flights.

Then, why are you asking for opinions about when to buy if you know exactly what you want to do?

the customer.

This was definitely great to find out, because I did not know if you could do this or not. I'm glad I found out before I tried to do it myself and lost out. Thank You so much for the information.

Then, why are you asking for opinions about when to buy if you know exactly what you want to do?

Because I want to know what everyone else's strategy is. I've learned quite a bit so far about Southwest airlines and other ideas such as possibly booking a leg that you don't actually fly on. I also thought the thread would be helpful to others and from what I can tell it has been.

the customer.

Thanks for clarifying!

At this point, I only fly SWA. Nothing else makes sense for me from Albany.

Our cruise in March split between two schedule-opening windows for Southwest. We booked our flight to FLL the morning the schedule opened up. We missed the exact day that the window opened for our return flight, but booked our return flight a few days later. The prices for our return flight were ridiculously high (more than 3x the cost of our flight to FLL), but we booked anyway.

As mentioned above, the thing with SWA is that you can re-book your flight and keep the credit for use within a year of the original booking. In the seven weeks since we booked our flight, I've watched the costs go up...and then they started going down. I have re-booked both of our flights in the past two weeks and am now sitting on over $200 in SWA credit. Of course, this only works if you plan on flying SWA again in the near future.

We fly out of CVG and traditionally.. Delta is the only reasonable choice, and I've done best booking as soon as the flights become available. I'll go back and reprice the tickets every week or so once we hit that 5-8 week window everyone talks about, and right now I'm about there for this years trip and tickets are $150 pp more than what we paid. That being said, you can't get anywhere on delta for less than $400, and two of the "discount" airlines just came to CVG and will start operating soon. So, I'm very excited to see how that changes our pricing options. We have a cruise next Dec tentatively booked and I checked pricing this dec just for comparison purposes and we can get two tickets through Frontier or Allegiant for the cost of one ticket on delta!!