How often does luggage get lost or go missing??

twolittlelovebugs06

Hey guys, only 10 days left till our first cruise ever!! (But definitely not our last). I am starting to get nervous about lost luggage that never shows up! How often does this really happen? Has anyone never seen their things again??

We are traveling on the Carnival Sensation out of Canaveral, and we have FTTF so I'm wondering if we should just bring our luggage with us? I know if we do that, they have to go through the X-ray scanners (right?) . We are not heavy packers at all so we just have 2 somewhat small suitcases and a carry-on tote/beach bag and my boyfriends backpack.

Should I just relax and trust our luggage to meet us at our cabin safely?? Any tips or past experiences would definitely help me right now! Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Suitcases get scanned whether you carry it on or check it. I'd still check it in but keep the back pack and toiletry item container. Sensation is small enough to have no worries embarking. If you are worried about lost luggage on debarkation, just do self assist. I've never had a luggage loss leaving, but then is where someone might pick up your luggage. Make some clear identifying marks or tapes or whatever to make your luggage look different.

Edited by RuthlessBoss

I was in the checkin line for an Imagination cruise a couple of years ago. I was talking to the young couple in front of me, and they had mentioned that the airline lost her luggage and that they were looking for it. Her husband had his. She was going to board without anything, but a few personal items in her carry on bag. Some of the ladies who heard her story around us immediately offered their clothing for her. It was really heartwarming. But the most amazing thing is that the young couple were not the least bit upset about not having her luggage at cruise time. She said that life has its hiccups and this was just a minor one. No big deal. I spoke to them quite often on the ship. She bought a few things at the Carnival store to wear and had them washed. The airline did find her luggage and delivered it to the ship at our last port. It was such a pleasure for me to meet this young couple who didn't go berserk over this, but looked at it as a great story to tell in the future. They were from a little town in Tennessee.

Just remembered that a couple of cruises ago, a suitcase was delivered to my cabin, (outside the door) so I looked at the tag, and it had MY cabin number on the tag? I just left it there, and went to the guest services desk to let 'em know. When I got back to the cabin, it was gone, so I don't know if it belonged to one of my neighbors, or if the guys delivering the luggage reclaimed it? In any case, make sure the CORRECT cabin number is on your luggage. :eek:

"SKY"

Just make sure the correct cabin number and your name is printed clearly on the luggage tag. If you can't print clearly, put an pre-printed address label on it with your address marked out.

Your luggage should have a separate luggage tag with your name and cell number.

Remove all other tags with bar codes. While it doesn't mess up the ship handlers, multiple bar codes are a sure fire way for your bag to go missing at the airport.

Had an issue one time only, long time ago.

Got my husband's bag, but mine did not show up. We went to Guest Services after dinner, and they took us to a room with several bags in it and there it was!

It had been raining hard when we boarded, and the old paper tag (they used to mail you) was a sodden mess and illegible -- there were several others in the same "boat" :p

Now I laminate the bejeesus out of the tags! :D

Easy way to guard against weather( cheap too!) is to just get some clear packing tape. Print out your luggage tags and just place the tape over each side to seal it. That way- water won't "run" the ink . Also- don't place the Carnival luggage tags on until at the port. Or you can also by the laminating sheets( more expensive). Hope this helps! ( 16 cruises and never a lost luggage!)

baf

Edited by bafinegan

My suggestion. Fold the luggage tags as instructed. Clear packing tape to seal. Affix to outside of suitcase and place a copy inside. Take a photo of your suitcase. Check the bag. Relax, you're on vacation. In your carry on bag: one change of clothing, medications and anything of value such as camera, tablets and jewelry. Happy cruising.

ok, do this.

your luggage has a covered chained tag that you put your name and address on, then inside you put an extra room tag.

plus you clear tape both sides and tie rap it to your luggage handle.

we have cruised 15 times with no lost luggage, did get a bag back one time that looked as though it had been run over.

carnival did nothing about it.

love to cruise.

Embark--Make sure you have tags on your luggage. If they fall off the bags are sent to Guest Services.

Only on a few cruises have we seen a notice describing a misisng piece of luggage.

We only had a missing bag once. Early '90s RCL put luggage inside the cabin. DH got his bag, mine was missing. When going to our cabin I noticed a red duffle like ours in the cabin next door, then heard the pax say that it wasn't their's. It was mine!

Carnival delivers the luggage to the hallway.

Debark--Make your bag unusual in some large way, ribbon or paint. IMO unusual luggage needs this because there can be two bags with 'horses' on them.

I am just curious about the different ways that luggage may get lost at a cruise terminal other than possibly being delivered to the wrong room.

Are there cases where they simply leave a bag in the terminal and not load it on a ship at all? I would imagine that there should be some safety checks in place to make it impossible to completely loose a piece of luggage in a contained area.

Thank you guys so much!!!

We are just driving in so we for have to worry about airports, and I printed 2 copies of the luggage tags an laminated them at work! I'll make sure to put one copy actually in the suitcase as well.

I definitely think disembarking we will just carry them off ourselves, we are young and don't mind heavy lifting! That way we can get back, get off the ship, and try to do something fun to soften the blow of coming back to real life! Thanks so much for calming my nerves! Now if I could make it to 119 or so cruises, that's the life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was down in the area where the luggage is brought up through. No I did nothing wrong, I forget why I was down there. But me and DH looked on the ground and saw a luggage tag sitting on the floor. We let the person dealing with the luggage know , hope the owner of the bag got their things okay. So I guess it happens.

In more than a dozen cruises, I've never had an issue with the cruiseline misplacing my luggage. Airlines are another story, but even then the bags have always made it back to me with time to spare. Regardless, travel insurance that covers baggage and personal possessions can be invaluable.

Edited by cmich068

Try to cross-pack your suitcases if possible. When traveling to Europe last fall I also had this great fear of lost luggage. When reading I saw this tip and did so. I packed half-half of my clothes and my husbands items, even down to undergarments, bathing suits, casual wear, and dress clothes. I made sure we could survive for 2 weeks on either suitcase. That way if something does get misplaced you both have things to wear. I mean what's the chances of both bags getting lost? lol

I've never had mine lost (on a cruise ship):rolleyes: but on a least 2 of our cruises, they show on the television a piece of luggage that has been separated from its owner or a description of a piece of luggage that is missing.

I would say it's pretty rare. Ensure you have tags with your cabin number attached securely to your pieces of luggage. Also, a good idea that I saw suggested.....take a photo of your luggage before you leave home.

Try to cross-pack your suitcases if possible. When traveling to Europe last fall I also had this great fear of lost luggage. When reading I saw this tip and did so. I packed half-half of my clothes and my husbands items, even down to undergarments, bathing suits, casual wear, and dress clothes. I made sure we could survive for 2 weeks on either suitcase. That way if something does get misplaced you both have things to wear. I mean what's the chances of both bags getting lost? lol

Ever since our Med cruise, I've used this "divide and conquer" method. Takes a bit more forethought, but it's reassuring.

Okay my luggage horror story tip is this... don't smuggle liquor, or pack any electronics that require scrutiny in checked luggage! Because if they decide to open your suitcase to inspect, they do not neatly fold clothes the way you had them. They will shove your stuff back in any old which-way. It stopped me from smuggling (sigh okay I admit it) and to this day, I take a small battery operated fan with me, but always in my carry on bag so nobody will feel compelled to rifle through my luggage.

~Denise