Really sad reviews

Jiffymom

I believe that a lot of how your cruise comes out is in how you handle it. For example, on our recent Vision cruise in the windjammer they had biscuits and gravy for breakfast and tea was always avaliable. I am from the mountains of north Georgia, so I am well versed in what biscuits n' gravy and what sweet tea should taste like. These were not it. The gravy was flat and flavorless, the biscuits sweetish and the tea merely iced. Asking for sweet tea will you get a glass of iced tea with some sugar packets. Did that ruin my cruise? No way! I understand that these items are A.) somewhat of a regional specialty B.) therefore not produced by a Southern cook and C.) mass produced. We took it in stride, didn't get them again and went on our merry way. While a negative it didn't negatively impact our vacation in any way!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I appreciate truthful, constructive criticism as well as the things that were great. Just the other day there was a post complaining about EVERYTHING on their cruise - only one MDR, only one show lounge, no announcements in the room, décor far worse than Carnival, too much salt in the salt water pool, no one to help plan their excursions without going on the ships expensive excursions, and no big "Gala" luncheon on embarkation day. That really gave me no clue what was wrong. By the way to those of you who read that, they didn't get far on the Carnival board. They were called out about the untruths.

However, for instance, we booked the Ben & Jerry Sweet just because of the fun of the room. Some people said there was a lot of noise from a service door. That gives me a clue we might hear some banging. OK. On our recent Majesty cruise, everything was great except I booked a JS and the pool deck is directly overhead. They hold a pool party on the last night so I got to hear the masses dancing on the deck. I have read in some cases, you might get black soot on an aft cabin. That kind of information, while it could be taken negatively, I think helps others understand some of the problems you might expect to encounter. So bring on the good with the bad. But please don't rant there was absolutely nothing good about your trip - although it does give me a clue that I'm glad I'm not in their family. :o

I agree with you 150 percent. If I wanted VIP Service I would either purchase or cater a 40 footer+ Yacht with crew. I think people think that Royal Caribbean is the 4 Seasons and expect everything to happen like clockwork.

Its not until you take the behind the scenes tour to see what actually goes on. I have sympathy and empathy for the crew that works all hours of the day and night. While your sleeping someone is preparing breakfast, cleaning up or getting ready for the next port.

When your enjoying that cold drink by the pool someone is ensuring the safety of the ship or getting dinner ready.

If your entree takes a bit longer or its not hot enough just imagine whats going on behind the scenes in the kitchen. The expediter has to manage the time and the waitstaff is working endlessly to make sure you are getting what you have ordered.

So what if you must wait in the buffet for 5 minutes more the food is not going to go away. Just plan to be there earlier or expect to wait. Don't show up at the last minute when they are getting the afternoon snacks ready.

People here complain about not having an item well being on a cruise is an experience and you can't expect it to be like home. Just go along with the flow.

Perhaps if we set our expectations lower we would enjoy the experience and not be disappointed. A mass market cruise is just that -it caters to the masses.

If you want luxury then fork over the extra money for Seabourn, Chrystal, Cunard etc.

If you want a step up then go on Celebrity.

But I'm sure with all cruiselines they have the same issues but they may handle it better than other cruiselines.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by travelplus

I agree with you 150 percent. If I wanted VIP Service I would either purchase or cater a 40 footer+ Yacht with crew. I think people think that Royal Caribbean is the 4 Seasons and expect everything to happen like clockwork.

Its not until you take the behind the scenes tour to see what actually goes on. I have sympathy and empathy for the crew that works all hours of the day and night. While your sleeping someone is preparing breakfast, cleaning up or getting ready for the next port.

When your enjoying that cold drink by the pool someone is ensuring the safety of the ship or getting dinner ready.

If your entree takes a bit longer or its not hot enough just imagine whats going on behind the scenes in the kitchen. The expediter has to manage the time and the waitstaff is working endlessly to make sure you are getting what you have ordered.

So what if you must wait in the buffet for 5 minutes more the food is not going to go away. Just plan to be there earlier or expect to wait. Don't show up at the last minute when they are getting the afternoon snacks ready.

People here complain about not having an item well being on a cruise is an experience and you can't expect it to be like home. Just go along with the flow.

Perhaps if we set our expectations lower we would enjoy the experience and not be disappointed. A mass market cruise is just that -it caters to the masses.

If you want luxury then fork over the extra money for Seabourn, Chrystal, Cunard etc.

But I'm sure with all cruiselines they have the same issues but they may handle it better than other cruiselines.

Just my 2 cents.

"Like at Home" People at home work all through the night and behind the scenes also. I work very late and very early hours sometimes also. I don't expect sympathy or empathy. In fact I don't want either. I just want the compensation for doing the job I agreed to do for the pay I agreed to do it for.

I don't work as a hobby or as a charitable endeavor.

Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.

I am curious as to just how low you feel one should set his/her expectations? I suppose if it is low enough then no one will ever be unhappy about anything.

By the way, I often end up working in the middle of the night, have family dinners interrupted for work, have weekends and holidays messed up because work interjects itself. I get neither sympathy or empathy for doing my job nor do I want any. It is simply the profession that I chose.

Ok here is my take. You can't please all of the people all of the time. If food is prepared one way, a group not used to that will make a fuss, others who liked it will rave. No big deal. But when some idiot like one who was on the Allure said the only food he enjoyed on the cruise was the hockey pucks they call hamburgers in the Windjammer. He had not set foot in anything but the MDR and the Windjammer. And considering how many free options there are on that ship, I would not under any circumstance take this person's opinion seriously.

A friend told me she did not like NYC pizza. Well I guess her taste is off in my opinion but it is her taste.

But when all you do is complain that it is no longer just a review but a worthless rant.

Edited by abridalmaven

I post what happens and my opinions. They are simply that: opinions. Reviews are meant to be critical....have you read a movie review or restaurant review? They are not always all sunshine and lollipops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny thing is, I will go see movies the "critics" pan over those they rave over because they are looking for something different than I am.

I love all the reviews both postitive and negative.....

Beats reading about

Chair hogs

smoking

rum runners

shorts in MDR

Cancelling gratuities.

Like I said to me it is a breath of fresh air:eek:

smoke free 40 months and counting.....never looking back!:D

I agree, but for a different reason.

I prefer a review HERE because there can be a conversation. Questions and answers. Clarification. Amplification. Discussion. Trading of experiences. Suggestions.

:)

I have two issues with reviews here. Author posts then there are a dozen thank yous, and each of them quote the post. And then repeat. :banghead:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

What I like in a review is DETAILS. If you tell me the food was AWESOME (or terrible), I don't know much; however, if you tell me that the food was mostly gussied-up fancy stuff with lots of sauces, whereas you prefer simple fried chicken paired with a baked potato, I can learn something from that. And I can judge for myself whether I myself like "gussied-up" or not.

I don't mind at all hearing negative items, but I don't like wasting time on things that are trivial. For example, I'm not interested in complaints about 1% vs. 2% milk at breakfast or the name brands of toiletries.

When a review is 100% good, I wonder if the writer is critical enough.

When a review is entirely negative, I suspect the writer is searching for things about which to be upset.

As for the name of the site being "Critic", keep in mind that this comes from the verb "to critique". That doesn't mean to criticize; rather, it means to discuss -- that can mean both pros and cons.

I have two issues with reviews here. Author posts then there are a dozen thank yous, and each of them quote the post. And then repeat. :banghead:

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for posting.

Sorry I guess I could not resist..............I am guilty of above.

Yeah, like I said I am guilty and I too get bothered when reading a thread, lets say like what "Radio" will be doing on his cruise and everyone including me will post something, and then I have to look harder to find his next post. Oh well, I will get over it.

Did not mean to make fun of your post, but I just wanted you to know their are many of us who this applies to.

Safe travels.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

Thank you for posting.

Sorry I guess I could not resist..............I am guilty of above.

Yeah, like I said I am guilty and I too get bothered when reading a thread, lets say like what "Radio" will be doing on his cruise and everyone including me will post something, and then I have to look harder to find his next post. Oh well, I will get over it.

Did not mean to make fun of your post, but I just wanted you to know their are many of us who this applies to.

Safe travels.

Sea Ya

But that is the thing about folks that post live reviews, or any review for that matter. You can go up to "Thread Tools" in the upper right of any of them and subscribe to the thread. :) And you never have to actually post a thing on the thread.

It would cut down on all the clutter of "subscribing" or "I'm signed up" .

It probably wouldn't cut down on the "love your review" or "great photos", though.:p

And people probably appreciate that feedback. :D

I am positive about my cruising experience. I love Royal Caribbean but I hate the coffee! Hate it, I love coffee and royal Caribbean just don't do it right. Luckily they do many other things right but just not the coffee. I am negative about rci coffee. Did I mention the coffee is crap?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We bring a little jar of instant coffee. :D

I am positive about my cruising experience. I love Royal Caribbean but I hate the coffee! Hate it, I love coffee and royal Caribbean just don't do it right. Luckily they do many other things right but just not the coffee. I am negative about rci coffee. Did I mention the coffee is crap?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We do not like the coffee either but it is better than Tim Hortens Coffee that we get here..

I think coffee is really hard to make to please everyone. I like super strong coffee, daughter and dh like medium strong, mom likes weak. That is why we bought a keurig because someone was always complaining about the morning coffee. And, it is hard to create your perfect cup onboard because you are at the mercy of the staff. I guess that is why the Diamond plus perk of coffee in the lounge means so much to us. We all make our own. I know it is miserable when you are a big coffee drinker. Hope you can find something that works for the week!

I love to read any reviews when I'm planning a cruise, and after I've booked a cruise. I like reading the good and the bad. My husband and I always have a saying when we hear anything good or bad. "We'll be the judge of that." ha You could read 10 different reviews from 10 people all on the same sailing, and all could be totally different. We were just on a cruise last week, and we didn't care at all for one of the shows, but the next day heard a lady say that it was one of the best she'd ever seen. I read the good and the bad and take it all with a grain of salt. If I read several people talking about the same good or bad on a ship... I put a little more weight into it. If there's something potentially bad about a ship, I want to know about it, so that I can make at least somewhat informed decisions. Same with the good! In 21 cruises, we've only ever had what we'd call 2 "bad" cruises. Those were due to health issues. Even those were salvaged at least in part, and still had some good to them. (Including good stories for later!) Every cruise line, every cruise ship, and every cruise experience always have positives and negatives. I like to hear it all. :-)

I love to read any reviews when I'm planning a cruise, and after I've booked a cruise. I like reading the good and the bad. My husband and I always have a saying when we hear anything good or bad. "We'll be the judge of that." ha You could read 10 different reviews from 10 people all on the same sailing, and all could be totally different. We were just on a cruise last week, and we didn't care at all for one of the shows, but the next day heard a lady say that it was one of the best she'd ever seen. I read the good and the bad and take it all with a grain of salt. If I read several people talking about the same good or bad on a ship... I put a little more weight into it. If there's something potentially bad about a ship, I want to know about it, so that I can make at least somewhat informed decisions. Same with the good! In 21 cruises, we've only ever had what we'd call 2 "bad" cruises. Those were due to health issues. Even those were salvaged at least in part, and still had some good to them. (Including good stories for later!) Every cruise line, every cruise ship, and every cruise experience always have positives and negatives. I like to hear it all. :-)

Exactly. Could not have said it better myself!:D

I also like to hear the good and bad but people tend to complain tooooooo much about minor issues, like having to wait 10 min for the waiter or not being able to get a sun chair by the water. Keep the complaints to something realistic, i.e. The waiter was rude or our cabin never was service one day or even that RCCL over billed me for something. Something where its factual not that the dove made out of towels looked like a monkey. lol You get my point.

Edited by gailforce2000