Do you miss the days...

klfhngr

when you could go on a cruise and have no clue as to what was going on at home or in the world?! Or even how your sports teams were doing? You actually had to wait until you got home? I miss those days, felt like I really got away.

Or, do you like the current times, knowing what's going on, able to keep in touch with the world?

We prefer to enjoy the cruise and avoid the negative news reporting by not turning on the TV and not using our iPads to read of current events.

I agree... but it's still readily available. Back in the day, the TV's channels sucked, only on land were you able to get an update. No iPhones, cell phones, laptops, tablets, etc.!

I shut off my phone at sailaway and lock it in the safe. I almost never use my internet minutes. I try to unplug completely, though I do miss getting the daily printed news letters that have been gone for a number of years now

It is really a matter of perspective.

I am a news junkie. Before we "cut the cord" if I had a day off, I would float between various news channels all day long. For me watching a 30 segment on the current events is relaxing.

I do keep my phone on me to use as a clock, and a camera. Otherwise I don't use it on a cruise. But for some people they grew up with a cell phone in their hand, and that is the way they relax.

My sister and BIL will keep in touch with their youngsters at home while on a cruise. It affords them the time to be alone, while still seeing how the kiddos are doing at home. I'm sure others have arrangements like this when they cruise whether it is kiddos, an elderly parent or work related.

Some people don't feel like they can relax without technology, to each their own. I know I couldn't spend all day on my phone on vacation, but other enjoy it, or have to. That is the beauty of cruising, you can make the vacation what you want of it. You can not turn the TV on, or put the phone in the safe, and leave the laptop at home, or you can sit in front of all three at once!

I also miss those days. We shut our phones off and lock them in the safe until we get off the ship. I will us my Ipad as a camera and check my emails when we are in port and have free wifi. I am really not connected to my phone at home, it is on if needed but I am not always checking everything. Maybe my life is not as exciting or hectic as others, but that is ok with me.

Have a great cruise whenever or whereever you go.

For people who cannot handle not being connected, I'm glad for them that there is a choice. Personally, I prefer to stay away from the day to day news unless something really important and urgent is breaking. What I really miss is the days when people did not have the option to be staring at cell phones all day. I would love to grandparent like my grandparents were able to - without having to pry the phones out of my lovely granddaughters hands so we can actually have a conversation:)

when you could go on a cruise and have no clue as to what was going on at home or in the world?! Or even how your sports teams were doing? You actually had to wait until you got home? I miss those days, felt like I really got away.

Or, do you like the current times, knowing what's going on, able to keep in touch with the world?

That's every cruise for me. The only exception was 2011, my 30th anniversary we stayed on Allure while it was in Nassau and had a great day. Sometime that afternoon the word made it to the ship that Osama Bin Laden was dead. I did watch a few hours of TV the next couple of days.

Oh, On Freedom in 2008 I happened to walk by the sports bar and see the first round of the NFL draft on the screen, so I caught up in 20 seconds.

My phone stays in airplane mode from the time I leave Port until the time I get back. I only use it for a camera and alarm clock on the cruise.

I do not turn on the tv accept to check my seapass account and do what I can to avoid any "news".

Being disconnected from the world is one of my main reasons for cruising. Its almost impossible to do on land.

I am happy others have the choice to be connected though.

Edited by ryano

We maintain those days by not taking a laptop or tablet and leaving our phones off during the week with the exception of those times we may need to contact someone at home. We can also connect via the internet on board if needed as well but typically do not unless there is a work of family need to do so. The news available with the TV is there if we want to see what's happening but that too is an option to tune in or not.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Newly retired so I am really looking forward to not having to have my smartphone checking on work issues! I will call my DD from US ports and check on my lovely granddaughter (more of a fix than anything) but otherwise phones are off and I just want to relax. I agree about having the smartphones attached to your face all the time. It is highly annoying to see someone who can't see the beauty around them due to the phone in front of their face. When I retired a few weeks ago I made the choice to have a dumb phone. One that only makes calls..imagine that...I want to enjoy life not my phone

It is extremely rare when we turn on the TV in the cabin.

I have a cheap cell phone for calling the limo pick-up -- it goes into the safe once we are on the ship.

I used to take a lap top on a cruise a couple of times to do "Live" reports -- don't do that any more. We had a cruise last spring where I did have to buy some internet minutes because our stock broker and CPA had to get hold of us a few times.

Don't care what is happening at home -- not even sports.

We totally disconnect when we cruise. We do not buy internet minutes, we rarely turn on the television in our cabin (we don't watch much tv at home either) and we have learned that not reading or listening to the latest news is actually a good thing for us.

I am fine with cruiselines having the connectivity -- I think it's good that it's there for those who need or want it. For those lamenting the loss of the "getting away from it all" feeling, surely it's up to you to plug in or not? :cool:

I occasionally have to check in with work when I travel; it's the price I pay for being able to get away for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. (And well worth it to me.) But I almost never turn on the TV in my cabin and don't use the net for anything other than a brief scan of work and home emails.

Edited by cruisemom42

I like having the choice to either be 'tuned in' or not.

I like CNN and FOX are available on cabin TV's. I don't have to turn on the TV but can if I wish.

I like there is WiFi throughout the ship. I don't have to turn on my device but can if I wish.

Choices are good. :)

Great points....

To be honest, I don't like the fact that I have a choice... reason? it's like a 'drug' or a 'fix', if it's there, the temptation to take it, look at it, is there. In the early 80's when I started cruising, I really didn't have a choice. Anyhow....

The reason I bring this up is that we leave in a few days, and I just want to GET AWAY! To really get away. My kids are with me, my wife, what is there to worry about? Yes, my mom and parents in law, oh, and my dog, but that's about it. The news? It can wait till I come back. And, the Angles and Dodgers are out.... ;)

You make it should like that was the "old days". We do get away and do not pay attention to the world while cruising. And no, I do not miss any of it.

We are not addicted to being in tough with the world every second of the day as many are. When you are no...it is simple to get away :)

Nope, I don't miss it because I STILL unplug.

I'm too far away from home, usually, to do anything about what might be happening back there on a personal level, and on a nationwide/world level, unless it's a tsunami, volcano or asteroid impact in my current vicinity, I don't need to know. I DVR anything that I'd like to see on TV (season finale of favorite show, etc.) and I don't give a rat's patootie about sports.

A mix of both -- I like being able to access my email, as work won't wait for me (I'm self employed and have no one to monitor my business while I"m gone), but I also like not knowing what's going on in the news or around the world. And I can do that now!

While I check my email and send emails home (my father appreciates that because even though I'm over 50, I'm still (apparently) his little girl), I otherwise don't pay any attention to the news or other info from home. There are news updates in the daily newsletter sent to my room, and I purposely don't look at them; I turn directly to the upcoming ship events, then throw them out after. I don't use the internet to surf news or hometown sites. I may discuss current affairs with other passengers, but that's more about interesting conversation topics than about wanting to stay in touch. I "tune out" when I'm on board, except for the 20 minutes or so a day I'm writing my father or checking my email.

I would rather disconnect. However, my 91 1/2 year old dad lives with us and my brother is coming in to care for him while we are gone for two weeks. I will need to check in daily to make sure he is still alive and my brother is not having a melt down.

I'm not a news junkie at any time and definitely not on cruises. The broadcast news has gotten so ridiculous in its bias and scare-mongering that I can hardly stand to watch anymore. I barely know what our local weather is supposed to do!

We do check the internet (elderly parents) and my husband likes to keep up on some sports, but that's it. If something truly wonderful/awful is happening, I'm sure we'll find out. I don't need to know the latest political gobbledygook or celebrity news.

I kinda like putting the cell on airplane mode and not having to answer any phones at all. Its actually relaxing and soothing plus if want to get updates about what's happening in NYC or the world, I can get it from other passengers. [emoji13]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk