Quantum advrtisement gripe

As a New Jersey girl, I am very offended to see the new Quantum advertisement which says it "sails out of the Big Apple". Bayonne is NJ. Isn't New Jersey good enough? You would think RCCL wouldn't need to use false advertising for their newest and biggest ship!!!!! What's the deal????

And then you have the NY Giants & NY Jets that play their home games in NJ .

And you can see the Statue of Liberty from the port...just make sure you know which arm she holds the torch in, it's a frequent trivia Q. :D

As a New Jersey girl, I am very offended to see the new Quantum advertisement which says it "sails out of the Big Apple". Bayonne is NJ. Isn't New Jersey good enough? You would think RCCL wouldn't need to use false advertising for their newest and biggest ship!!!!! What's the deal????

The same deal that has the Jets and Giants calling themselves "New York".

If it makes you feel any better, we will gladly give NYC to New Jersey.......but no give backs !

The quantum ad is on every 30 minutes out here in Nevada the last couple nights. This jersey girl immediately noticed that it said "sailing from the big apple". I didn't know jersey had become the big apple since I left. Haha. I guess they are trying to sell NY as a destination to couple with the cruise instead of us taking a flight going to Florida for a cruise.

Try selling Bayonne as a day before cruise fun destination. Exactly what's happenin' in Bayonne?

No, but apparently Bayonne needs to, LOL. :D

Given that Bayonne is most certainly part of the GREATER NYC AREA, I don't think it's really a stretch to say the cruise leaves from the big apple, or New York. In the same way, Newark airport is considered a NYC area airport (do a flight search using the airport code "NYC" and you'll get results including LaGuardia, Kennedy AND Newark.)

I live in a town across the river from Charleston SC, but figuring most people from outside the immediate area have never heard of Mt. Pleasant, I say "Charleston" when asked where I'm from.

I guess it would be more accurate to say the Big wasteland? People keep telling me there is a good part of New Jersey, but I haven't seen it, I've only been in the "greater" Newark area.

I guess it would be more accurate to say the Big wasteland? People keep telling me there is a good part of New Jersey, but I haven't seen it, I've only been in the "greater" Newark area.

Jersey is a great state, full of amazing places, beautiful beaches, historical towns, deep and lovely forests, one of the largest acquifers in the world, thousands of farms, state parks, and wonderful people, almost none of whom sound anything like the jerks from 'Jersey Shore'. If you've only been to Jersey long enough to land in Newark airport and head to NYC, you haven't seen New Jersey.

That being said, anyone from New Jersey is going to be annoyed when stuff that is actually happening IN New Jersey is advertised as happening IN New York City. Like the Super Bowl . . .

KC

Jersey is a great state, full of amazing places, beautiful beaches, historical towns, deep and lovely forests, one of the largest acquifers in the world, thousands of farms, state parks, and wonderful people, almost none of whom sound anything like the jerks from 'Jersey Shore'. If you've only been to Jersey long enough to land in Newark airport and head to NYC, you haven't seen New Jersey.

That being said, anyone from New Jersey is going to be annoyed when stuff that is actually happening IN New Jersey is advertised as happening IN New York City. Like the Super Bowl . . .

KC

I grew up in NYC and have lived in NJ for the last 21 years. But while I'm not a NJ native, I also was a bit put off by the new ad. I get that people like the idea of a trip into NYC before their cruise, but all this gets a bit old after a while. I said this exact same thing when they advertised the Super Bowl as being held in NY...seriously, when did the Meadowlands move across the river? Did I miss that big event LOL!!!

It is really all about "Wall Street" folks. Where does mass media want any major product launch to be displayed? NEW YORK! It may be wrong of RCCL to depict the launch as New York, but the media moguls will tell you, it is the perfect place.

I get what you are saying. I am also from NJ. But to me, the ship says "New York" from the moment you first step on it. It looks and feels like it was designed for the younger, urban NY market. I really liked the ship a lot and felt at home.

You know Cincinnati International Airport is actually in Hebron, Kentucky!!!

And for that matter the Dallas-Fort Worth airport is in neither Dallas or Fort Worth, yet American Airlines sells thousands of tickets a day claiming to take people to Dallas and/or Fort Worth.

I for one am quite outraged.

You know Cincinnati International Airport is actually in Hebron, Kentucky!!!

And for that matter the Dallas-Fort Worth airport is in neither Dallas or Fort Worth, yet American Airlines sells thousands of tickets a day claiming to take people to Dallas and/or Fort Worth.

I for one am quite outraged.

Well, now I will NEVER!!! go to Cincinnati!

No, but apparently Bayonne needs to, LOL. :D

Given that Bayonne is most certainly part of the GREATER NYC AREA, I don't think it's really a stretch to say the cruise leaves from the big apple, or New York. In the same way, Newark airport is considered a NYC area airport (do a flight search using the airport code "NYC" and you'll get results including LaGuardia, Kennedy AND Newark.)

I live in a town across the river from Charleston SC, but figuring most people from outside the immediate area have never heard of Mt. Pleasant, I say "Charleston" when asked where I'm from.

I read the first line of your post and even before I got through the rest of the post I knew immediately that you're not from the New York area -- and more specifically from Northern NJ. This is a BIG deal to us, and its not just a technicality. Whether you say you are from Mt. Pleasant or Charleston, I'm assuming both are in South Carolina. But those of us in New Jersey paid millions of dollars in taxes -- and New Yorkers did not -- for the stadium in which the "NEW YORK" Giants and "NEW YORK" Jets play their games. We also watched fees paid predominantly by New Jersey commuters in the form of incredibly exorbitant fees we pay to go over the GWB and through the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels be spent by the NY/NJ Port Authority in subsidies to a PRIVATE developer at the former World Trade Center site.

I actually don't know whether any public funds went into the refurbishment of the Bayonne facilities -- I'm assuming that they did not -- and frankly I'm not surprised (sadly) that RCCL refers to Quantum leaving from the big apple (it would have killed them to say "the NYC area" or "New Jersey"?). But unless you live, work and pay taxes here you can't really understand what a nerve this hits for those of us in Northern NJ.