How bad is second hand smoke on Riviera?

kekilia

I just read that there is a fairly low percentage of Americans on Riviera and more internationals, who tend to have higher percentages of smokers. We are booked in an Oceania Suite on deck 12, which is fairly near the smoking area. Very disappointing to pay all that money and then find out that the Pool deck is where they put smokers and near the doors to the residences. I am highly sensitive to second hand smoke and can have serious COPD like reactions.

Can someone speak the truth to me about this issue?

I am what you call an "international" - Swiss - and I hatethe smell of smoke. I just cannot stand it. So I understand what you are saying and I agree with you.

We had an Oceania suite on Deck 12 on the same side as the smoking area and never once were we bothered by the smell of smoke. For starters there is the Artists Loft between the first Oceania Suite and the Pool Deck area. Secondly there are TWO sets of doors to go through to get to the corridor for the suites - one from the pool deck into the inside of the ship and a second between the Artists Loft and the Oceania suites. Thirdly the ship normally moves forward. Creating a current of air from the bow towards the stern. Since the smoking area is aft of the Oceania suites the air goes away from them.

Yes I did smell smoke when I was on the pool deck and passed by the designated smoking area. So I held my breath as I went by. And I also smelled a little, tiny hint of smoke when I walked into Horizons past the semi-glass enclosed smoking area. Not much at all there - but one can always go in on the other side if that is an issue.

You are right that more people percentage-wise smoke in Europe than in the US. Part of this is a function of education and social class I think. I have very very few smoking friends here. And those that DO smoke are very considerate. We also have more of a "live and let live" attitude here than you do in the US I think. (I lived in the US for over 20 years some time ago). But no smoking in public places is the norm just about anywhere in the world now - even in China apparently though it was not the case when I was last there - and I am glad about that! Anyway bottom line is you are not going to be bothered by the smoke in your suite and if you don't like walking near people who are smoking then use the other entrance and walk through the lift lobby to get to your suite!

Yes, the smell of smoke is very much around by the smoking area on the pool deck. That is across from the pool bar and their are some tables around their. smokers sort of spread out at times and you do smell it. Not a bother for us however if you do not like smoke!

We have stayed in an Oceania suite a number of times and the smokers have never been an issue in our suite, on our balcony or hallway. But, we are careful to always avoid walking near the smoking area as it can be quite dreadful when it is crowded. We use the entrance door near the bar - opposite the door by the smoking area.

Can't say if the non-US passengers are the primary culprits as we don't get that close.

I'm disappointed Oceania still allows smoking in the corner of the pool deck as the smoke permeates a larger area on deck. I complained after each Oceania cruise.

I think the glass enclosed area in Horizons is effective but I've never seen more than a few smokers at a time in that area.

In my observation, it makes a big difference if there is a cigar smoker. Cigar smoke (again, IMO) tends to travel farther and linger longer. Additionally, some cigar smokers, freed from the usual restrictions, seem to love to sit and smoke all freaking day long.

Please note - I never stayed in the suite you mention, so I have no insight into your specific question.

I just read that there is a fairly low percentage of Americans on Riviera and more internationals,

It probably depends on the itinerary. Our b2b Caribbean cruise had mostly North American passengers and only a handful of Europeans. I went to the artist loft almost every day and never smelled smoke in the hallway. If there was any outside, it did not come in. Your suite floor is separated by another door.

There was a group of heavy smokers from Quebec in the designated area in Horizons. I always sat on the other side of Horizons because I didn't like the smell drifting out of that semi glassed cubicle. "My side" was perfectly fine.

The truth of the matter is that you will smell smoke in the stairwell, hallway & elevator area as you get close to the Artist Loft. I usually walk up the stairs and start smelling it on floor 11. If you don't smell it in these areas then either you are on a cruise with a light group of smokers or your sense of smell is not that keen. On the 43 days I've been on board Riviera, on deck 12 and 11 I usually always notice it there, as well as in the area leading up to smoking area in Horizons. FWIW, on all four cruises I've been on Riviera the Artist in residence was a smoker, not that matters either way.

As far as the ship going forward, yes, it does, except when it's in port. Also there is a solid wall, low ceiling and minimal windows in that area, effectively trapping the smoke in. In all honestly one floor up on 14 above the artist loft would be a much better outdoor smoking area.

As one poster already stated, the best thing you can do is use the door on the port side over by the bar to enter and exit the outdoor area of deck 12. Also as another poster mentioned you won't smell it past the glass doors that lead to the Suite area.

europe131544_zpscd8c2cba.jpg

We haven't been bothered by second hand smoke on the Riviera but do avoid the smoking areas. While I wish that the entire ship was non-smoking, that is not reality nor would it be a good move for Oceania. People that smoke need an outdoor and indoor place to smoke (only when the weather is bad:-) Thankfully, smoking on ships is dramatically less than 10 years ago when guests were still smoking in suites, on balconies, etc.

I appreciate getting good, solid info re smoking as it is nowhere in O sites except a well hidden deck plan detail. I am still concerned but I will give O a chance since my suite is on opposite side (12010). However, it is a deal beaker for me as I am very sensitive to it. I can smell even the slightest hint of smoking (perhaps because my body reacts so violently) while my DH doesn't notice a thing. I love the itinerary (Lisbon to Rome) and am prepared for smoking in the cities and towns outdoors where we will visit, but I need to come back to a smoke free environment or this will be the cruise from h e double parallel bars!

I am ultra sensitive to smoke as well, and make sure that I always use the doors on the other side and sometimes walk the deck below to the opposite side to use those doors to gain access to the pool deck. On the whole the smoking is not too bad, but if anyone smokes a cigar, it permeates the entire outdoor area if you are sensitive to the odour. Several times, the individuals I saw smoking in the smoke allowed area were the officers.:eek:

I guess I kind of assumed that you could only smoke a cigar in the Connoisseur Club (or whatever they call the "smoking" room)--is that not true?

The latest Oceania smoking policy that I have seen states "Oceania Cruises' Smoking Policy permits cigar and Pipe smoking only on the forward starboard corner of the Pool Deck." This is very similar to Regent's policy.

If you are really concerned and are very effected by smoke why not get a room in a different location, deck even if is a different class. Beats ruining your whole trip.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

A different class of ship or a different location? I would have booked it to begin with. I wanted forward, I wanted an Oceania Suite. And, if I do have a horrible experience, I will make the best of it and not book Oceania again. I have spent my whole life modifying my behavior to accommodate smokers in public places. Now that the majority of the developed world has been educated about the detrimental effects of smoking and acted to protect the majority, I do not wish to continue to accommodate the minority. Don't wish to sound mean and I hold no ill feelings against smokers per se, I understand smoking. I just don't need to be around it. I agree with poster who said the location should not be the pool deck, but the more open decks above.

I guess I kind of assumed that you could only smoke a cigar in the Connoisseur Club (or whatever they call the "smoking" room)--is that not true?

I do not think Oceania has one, as you say some lines do but I can not remember one on the Riveria. If my memory has left me I am sure I will be corrected.

If you are talking about O the only place you can smoke cigars is outside in the smoking are

Some people feel they can smoke anywhere on the pool deck but not so

A different class of ship or a different location? I would have booked it to begin with. I wanted forward, I wanted an Oceania Suite. And, if I do have a horrible experience, I will make the best of it and not book Oceania again. I have spent my whole life modifying my behavior to accommodate smokers in public places. Now that the majority of the developed world has been educated about the detrimental effects of smoking and acted to protect the majority, I do not wish to continue to accommodate the minority. Don't wish to sound mean and I hold no ill feelings against smokers per se, I understand smoking. I just don't need to be around it. I agree with poster who said the location should not be the pool deck, but the more open decks above.

I was thinking about a different class of room. You are the one who said you had very bad reactions to second hand smoke. The smoking area is not going to move and the smokers will be there. My experience is if you walk by there or go to the pool bar you will smell smoke, just saying.

I have spent my whole life modifying my behavior to accommodate smokers in public places. Now that the majority of the developed world has been educated about the detrimental effects of smoking and acted to protect the majority,

Do not mean to be rude but maybe cruising is not for you

There are no cruiselines that are non smoking Oceania is more strict than others where the smoking locations are concerned

I think Azamara have only 1 area that one is inside

I hope you can avoid the smoke smell so your cruise will not be a total loss

I had booked a 35 day cruise on HAL (itinerary) and thank goodness for CC because I did not realize they allowed smoking on cabin balconies. Guess What?.. I called my TA and cancelled and booked another cruise line that has smoking areas only. It is good to do your "homework".

I am not an avid cruiser but I do enjoy being pampered once in a while and I don't feel I should have to give this up because of the smoking policy. I have a nice suite on opposite side of smoking area and don't expect a problem there. I will avoid the pool deck area completely, not just because of the smoking, but because it is not important to me as I live in a beach resort community in Hawaii where we have a pool year round. If I want a pool, I have access to the spa area. ;)

It is just that I hope if enough people who don't like the location of the smoking area of the Riviera note this on the surveys, then O will take another look at the pool area location and choose a better one. I don't expect this to happen for my cruise, I would just like to see some effort made to make this situation better. :)

Sorry if I sounded rude, I tried to give the right impression on my post that I am not a hater or a difficult passenger. However, I do believe in being assertive and proactive.

They have not moved the smoking area on the ships in the past 10 yrs so not likely to happen anytime soon

Believe this has been talked about many times before ;)

Let's just hope they do not revert to the NCL policies

Edited by LHT28

Key ilia,

After many cruises on O I can say it is very easy to avoid the smoking areas as we have always done. Our suite is always on the back of the ship and we never use the stairways on the front leading to the smoking areas. No matter where O would put the dreaded areas some people would object. Enjoy your cruise and just avoid the areas, no problem!

I was on Riviera last month in 12012 and their was not a hint of smoke in the hallway or suite. I wouldn't give it a second thought and I am very sensitive to smoke. The day we disembarked and stayed the night in Istanbul, we really noticed the smoke and didn't sleep well.

I will second the comments about not smelling anything in the living and dining areas. We had Suite 12010 in September. The smoking section on the starboard side of the 12 deck (pool deck) did have the usual assortment of Euros hastening their demise but a quick walk past and no problem. Compared to Celebrity, you will encounter very little smoke issues on Oceania. Focus on the itinerary and enjoy!