Do you prefer pre-cruise stays or pre-cruise stays?

spazzyjanet

We are currently thinking of flying in two days before our cruise and staying for two nights. We are now considering adding to this and adding either a third night pre-cruise or a single night post-cruise. Staying an extra day might be good for de-stressing, but will we really enjoy a one-day stay at a hotel when you know that you still have to leave in a day? If you could add a night either pre or post-cruise, which would you do? Why?

We do both. We fly in a few days early and leave a few days later. Makes for a very relaxing holiday/vacation. Even if it's just an extra day post-cruise, it does make for more relaxation on disembarkation as your not rushed or thinking about flights. No, you don't get to explore destination in depth in one day, but you can eat joy some sightseeing and a leisurely dinner and breakfast before flight next day.

Depending on flight schedules home, we normally book flights the day of disembarking however next yr we will stay 1 night post cruise so we arrive home before noon, otherwise we are looking at 10 PM arrival. I guess alot would depend on the city your leaving and returning to and what there is to do. If it is a city we have not been to then we will stay a min of 2 nights pre cruise.

If I'm doing a roundtrip cruise (Caribbean cruises for example) I much prefer a pre-criuse stay. IMO, after I'm off the ship, vacation is "over" and I just want to get home and refreshed before getting back into a routine.

However, my exception to that is for one-way cruises going from one port and ending at another, such as Alaska northbound cruises and some Europe cruises, so I have a day to explore the port where the cruise ended.

We go a day early and leave the day after on every cruise. It's just what we do however on Our Southern cruise next year we plan on going to San Juan two days early! :cool:

Edited by bigque

We like to arrive 2 days before the cruise... that way we know we are where we are supposed to be and then stay at least a day after to explore anything that we may have missed before the cruise. There is no stress as well about getting off the ship in a hurry to get to the airport for the trip home.

For Europe definitely want before and after if beginning and ending port different. After the expense of flying overseas it just seems logical. Went to Rome 3 days early and stayed 2 extra days in Venice. Crammed a lot in, then slept all the way home :-). For more "local" cruises, one day before boarding is enough.

Hawaii!:D

Since we are on the west coast, we always have to fly a day or two before our cruise, sometimes to explore the destination or get used to the time change. Flying is usually an all day event that eats up one of those days.

If it is an exotic destination, we go as many days before as we can with the work/vacation issue.

Sydney to Honolulu was a nice change! We had several days before in Australia and then we had an additional 2 nights in Hawaii when we returned. It was very nice not to feel rushed to get off the ship and have to be at the airport. And we had a nice time at the hotel and Waikiki beach before a (mechanical delayed) flight home.

We are currently thinking of flying in two days before our cruise and staying for two nights. We are now considering adding to this and adding either a third night pre-cruise or a single night post-cruise. Staying an extra day might be good for de-stressing, but will we really enjoy a one-day stay at a hotel when you know that you still have to leave in a day? If you could add a night either pre or post-cruise, which would you do? Why?

Very simple - if you have the time and money do both. We almost always do.

precruise.Post cruise just seems to extend the reality that it's over.

I couldn't disagree more. There's nothing nicer than getting off a ship and knowing that you have a night or two to relax and enjoy the disembarkation city before you go home and the Vacation is NOT OVER YET!. Just because a cruise is over doesn't mean the trip or vacation is......... And you're not rushing to an aiport to be home that night.

Edited by bouhunter

We do a pre-cruise stay. It gives us a chance to start the vacation a little early and, if it's a place we've never been, to explore a new city. By the time the cruise is over, I generally am eager to get home because I'm already switching back into work mode. I think I'd be too antsy for a post-cruise stay and would obsessing too much with what I had to do once I got home so it wouldn't be enjoyable.

We do a pre-cruise stay. It gives us a chance to start the vacation a little early and, if it's a place we've never been, to explore a new city. By the time the cruise is over, I generally am eager to get home because I'm already switching back into work mode. I think I'd be too antsy for a post-cruise stay and would obsessing too much with what I had to do once I got home so it wouldn't be enjoyable.

I must disagree. When the cruise is over our vacation is not when we get off a ship.......... Much as we love cruising, it isn't the entire vacation.......

I fully understand some people need to get home and back to work ASAP. But if not necessary for those reasons I can't see recommending to people that they should get off the ship and jump right onto a plane......

Edited by bouhunter

precruise.Post cruise just seems to extend the reality that it's over.

This covers my opinion pretty well. We did a pre and post cruise day in San Juan (at Caribe Hilton) last year and the post cruise day just felt like an extension of the trip home.

pre-cruise for me. Its nice to relax and get ready for the cruise. After the cruise I typically just want to get home.

I would prefer both, but if I have to choose, I definitely select pre-cruise. Once I'm at the departure port, I'm truly on vacation. Otherwise, I'm stressing out about missing the flight or possible flight delays and missing the ship.

Post-cruise, I'm way less concerned about missing the flight home.