Some thoughts after 2nd Celebrity cruise

Babr

We just returned from the Reflection, our second Celebrity cruise. The first was four years ago on the Millenium. In the meantime, we have sailed Holland America, Princess, and Windsurf.

Things fell into place so that we could get reasonable airfare along with a good cruise fare about three weeks before the sailing date - well past final payment. I was surprised that so many suites were still available even though I know the time between the holidays is often slow for cruises. HAL and Princess offer upsells or upgrades from one category to another, but I don't know how Celebrity works. Seems rather strange that they would sell the suites to some Johnny-come-lately at a deeply discounted price rather than make happy customers of those who booked earlier at higher rates.

Maybe those customers would have had to give up drink packages or other perks that we didn't get. Which brings me to my next point - drink packages. There seems to be quite a bit of angst - or at least discussion - about these and what they cover. We did not consider buying one but chose the pay-as-you-go option. Once I saw the prices on the wine list at Murano, I began to understand why people might consider the package to be a good deal. I thought the drinks overall were much higher priced than what I am used to seeing on other cruise lines. As was everthing else.

I don't think I've been on a ship that had so may fee-based dining venues, activities, services, and even movies. I won't say "niclkle and dimed" because it was another whole magnitude of order from small change. Unless you have some kind of status, it doesn't seem much comes with being in a suite. We did get a few coupons for discounts, but I consider them to be simply gestures because they had little value. Ten percent off of internet or laundry on a 7 day cruise wouldn't even cover the cost of of a bottle of wine.

The library was egregiously bad. The books appear to have been accumulated by frequenting garage sales. The library itself is very impressive, but the boooks seem to be merely decorations for a dramatic setting. I don't understand why Celebrity falls so short here when they do so many other things well.

Like the Sky Suite itself. I was very impressed with the attention to detail in the design. The multi-function shower was lovely and easy to use. I appreciated the night-light that stayed on when you turned off the bathroom light. I especially liked the hinged mirror doors on the medicine cabinet. They not only kept clutter out of sight, they could be positioned to check your hair-do from every angle. I even liked the door hooks with the cross bar that kept robes or towels from falling off. Did you notice the loops on the towels that allow you to hang them on the hooks? Closet space for hanging clothes was lacking. For a longer cruise, one would have to leave more things folded on shelves or in drawers. And who designed those super shallow drawers on the dressing table/desk?

Food and entertainment were excellent as was the service. Our cabin attendants were friendly and helpful. I never had to ask for anything. It just appeared. We did not make full use of the butler; however, he was gracious and always offiering to do more.

Overall, we were very pleased with the experience. I just couldn't help feeling at times that I was in some kind of Disneyland for adults - everything was an illision and everything was for sale. Modern Luxury? Maybe - but most of the people I saw around the ship, at the buffet, or digging in the Boulevard sale items didn't look like they lived lives of luxury at home, and I couldn't help wondering if the illusion was satisfying and at what cost?

Modern Luxury? Maybe - but most of the people I saw around the ship, at the buffet, or digging in the Boulevard sale items didn't look like they lived lives of luxury at home, and I couldn't help wondering if the illusion was satisfying and at what cost?

Could you explain this to me?

but most of the people I saw around the ship, at the buffet, or digging in the Boulevard sale items didn't look like they lived lives of luxury at home

Looks can be deceiving. I know very wealthy people who dress and act just like anyone else......................... :rolleyes: :D

Could you explain this to me?

It dont take much 'readin tween the lines' to figure this out. A few of us around them are not of the 'proper status' to rub elbows with those in a suite. Bumpkis are the southern term.

After 25 years and 7 lines, after sailing on the Reflection Nov 2013 we will be hard pressed to think about HAL or Princess for quite a while. But that is what makes the need for different lines to suit different peoples wants and desires in a vacation.

Just my thoughts, wont get you a cup of joe no where.:)

ps: we dress down when going to make a large purchase.

Edited by wallie5446

Most are probably ordinary people like me, but Celebrity promotes itself as providing Modern Luxury at sea. The illusion is to make people feel special, pampered, privileged. Yes, the ship is beautiful and meticulously maintained. Yes, the staff works hard to please.

The reality remains, however, that you pay extra for lots of things as I pointed out in the original post. I was more aware of it than I have been on other cruise lines. It is not necessarily wrong - just different, and to me that reality tarnishes the illusion of luxury.

Maybe I should not have gone to the port shopping talk. There is something about seeing grown women squealing and scrambling for cheap trinkets that is rather sad to me when you realize it is only paid advertising for commissioned sales.

But it seems to make lots of people happy. The ships sail full every week.

Celebrity promotes itself as providing Modern Luxury at sea. The illusion is to make people feel special, pampered, privileged.

Doesn't this make you just like the masses screaming over "trinkets" when you fall for a silly marketing ploy? There are plenty of luxury cruises to be had out there, if I was looking for that I sure wouldn't pick one of the major(mass) cruise lines.

To me it surely feels like luxury being on a cruise ship, I don't need to feel special. Maybe its because I work 70-100 hrs a week driving truck trying to save enough to take a 2 week vacation some place warm.

Doesn't this make you just like the masses screaming over "trinkets" when you fall for a silly marketing ploy? There are plenty of luxury cruises to be had out there, if I was looking for that I sure wouldn't pick one of the major(mass) cruise lines.

To me it surely feels like luxury being on a cruise ship, I don't need to feel special. Maybe its because I work 70-100 hrs a week driving truck trying to save enough to take a 2 week vacation some place warm.

I agree...I am on this cruise to enjoy myself and have the uninterrupted time with my DW. I want to rest when I can, and wake and do whatever, when I want to. It is My vacation and Celebrity seems to understand this! Celebrity even goes so far to have only one announcement a day and not one every ten minutes.

I don't see it as falling for some ploy as much as taking advantage of a last-minute deal. In my mind, Celebrity is not much different than other mass market lines. That is the point. They promote themselves as luxury but charge extra for way too many things to qualify for that.

I'm afraid that there are probably many people who get caught up in the excitement and spend more than they should, hence the illusion at what cost.

I don't see it as falling for some ploy as much as taking advantage of a last-minute deal. In my mind, Celebrity is not much different than other mass market lines. That is the point. They promote themselves as luxury but charge extra for way too many things to qualify for that.

I'm afraid that there are probably many people who get caught up in the excitement and spend more than they should, hence the illusion at what cost.

You went on a short, inexpensive Caribbean cruise, in what is basically a mini suite, & apparently didn't bother to research drink prices, specialty restaurants, etc.

Then you attended that travesty known as the port shopping talk :eek:

Maybe the scrambling & groaning woman you speak of, actually were having a great time. What's wrong with that? I'm sure they didn't land in debtor's prison after the cruise.

Celebrity is my favorite line, but the fact is, it's mass market, just like HAL, Princess, Royal Caribbean....

"Modern Luxury" is a marketing tool, (& a very good one, in my opinion)

If you want luxury, you need to head to Oceania, or Crystal...

The illusion at what cost? We sailed RCCL in 2011, Princess in 2012, then the Reflection in 2013. Of course this is our experience which is very different from yours. The product delivered for the $$ by Celebrity put the other 2 to shame. I promise, we do not over spend, nor get caught up in the fluff n puff. But enjoy the speciality venues a lot, and the drink packages to the max.

We all will come off a sailing with different experiences. I hope you enjoy returning to HAL and Princess, but we could tell that they are owned and controlled by Carnival now. Totally not our cup of tea.

We just returned from the Reflection, our second Celebrity cruise. The first was four years ago on the Millenium. In the meantime, we have sailed Holland America, Princess, and Windsurf.

... I thought the drinks overall were much higher priced than what I am used to seeing on other cruise lines. As was everthing else.

How recently have you been on other cruises, and were any of them on newer ships like Reflection? Having sailed Celebrity, Royal, Carnival, Princess and Oceania I haven't honestly found much significant difference in the on board prices of drinks or anything else.

I don't think I've been on a ship that had so may fee-based dining venues, activities, services, and even movies. I won't say "niclkle and dimed" because it was another whole magnitude of order from small change. Unless you have some kind of status, it doesn't seem much comes with being in a suite. We did get a few coupons for discounts, but I consider them to be simply gestures because they had little value. Ten percent off of internet or laundry on a 7 day cruise wouldn't even cover the cost of of a bottle of wine.

Newer ships on virtually all lines are adding more and more restaurants. Celebrity hasn't taken away the included venues, like MDR, buffett and room service so not sure what the complaint really is.

As for suite perks, you got a deal at the last minute. Seems to me the main reason to book a suite should be the extra space. Was that not why you booked the suite? Not to mention you said you got a great deal on it. :confused:

The library was egregiously bad. The books appear to have been accumulated by frequenting garage sales. The library itself is very impressive, but the boooks seem to be merely decorations for a dramatic setting. I don't understand why Celebrity falls so short here when they do so many other things well.

Probably because most people don't really use the library, so Celebrity puts their money into other areas. If there's a book I want to read, I bring it with me, rather than take a chance on finding something in the ship's library that suits me.

Food and entertainment were excellent as was the service. Our cabin attendants were friendly and helpful. I never had to ask for anything. It just appeared. We did not make full use of the butler; however, he was gracious and always offiering to do more.

Modern Luxury? Maybe - but most of the people I saw around the ship, at the buffet, or digging in the Boulevard sale items didn't look like they lived lives of luxury at home, and I couldn't help wondering if the illusion was satisfying and at what cost?

Wow. Just, wow. So wealthy people need to wear their furs and jewels every moment they're on vacation? Then again, I'd hardly assume that digging through the $10 sale items is satisfying anyone's theoretical desire for luxury, so I really don't get your point. By the way, Sam Walton made a fortune, but drove around in a beat up pick up truck because it was most practical for hauling his hunting dogs around. Good thing he wasn't worried about other people looking at him and deciding whether or not he could afford a luxurious lifestyle. :rolleyes:

The reality remains, however, that you pay extra for lots of things as I pointed out in the original post. I was more aware of it than I have been on other cruise lines. It is not necessarily wrong - just different, and to me that reality tarnishes the illusion of luxury.

Same as every other mass market cruise line.

Hi, Babr, we were on the cruise with you--I thought it was a great week and that X really delivered, better than prior X cruises. But I definitely agree with the simple point I think you intended to convey, to-wit: The "modern luxury" marketing hook doesn't truly match the experience. IMO, mass market cruise lines will always face this issue as they jockey for top billing. Cunard is a prime example--when we did our first QM2 crossing, the marketing hype had us so psyched for something better than what we'd enjoyed on X, RCI, Princess and HAL--and were we disappointed! Once we got over the disconnect between the advertised "luxury" and "elegant" aura and our actual onboard experience, we loved every minute and grew to appreciate the distinctive "Old Worlde" characteristics of the line. But the fact is, no mass market line can truly achieve what we really imagine "modern luxury" to be. I would think you might have experienced a better version of that on Wind Surf, and as we are now past cruising with kids, I will be looking for it in the small ship lines that seem poised and more capable of providing an all-inclusive (i.e, no added fee), upmarket cruise experience.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Happy future cruises!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Appreciate your review. We too have sailed HAL, Princess, RCCL and Carnival. I find that Celebrity specialty restaurants are priced slightly higher than most of the other lines but nothing outrageous. And 3 of their S-class ships only have 3 specialty restaurants (not counting Bistro or Pub) which is less than a lot of other lines. I guess it just depends on what you want. If you never want to pay to dine yet get gourmet food you will need to go on Regent or Crystal and pay 3 times as much. Or, like we do, plan our trip around endulging at a specialty restaurant at least twice and sometime more often. Of course, if you go on NCL expect to pay to eat every night in order to get any decent food.

I also agree with the previous statement about not understanding why the books in the library are a big deal. I too bring my own reading material or my Nook loaded. With my luck I would check out a book and get close to the end of the cruise and have to return it prior to finishing.

I also agree with the previous statement about not understanding why the books in the library are a big deal. I too bring my own reading material or my Nook loaded. With my luck I would check out a book and get close to the end of the cruise and have to return it prior to finishing.

I usually bring my own reading material, but on our last cruise I decided to see what was in the library. Some new books, some old books. I figured if a book was a bit worn and frayed it must be good.

Anyway I found a great book with a collection of stories in it that I really enjoyed. I couldn't stop reading it! And I read for enjoyment so I was in no hurry to finish it. And the end of our 11 day cruise the book was not finished, so I bought it with the kindle app.

Will I use the library again? Maybe. I'd love to repeat that experience.

Goes to show you that some people HAVE to find something to complain about or they can't be happy! :rolleyes:

I cruise to enjoy myself, not to find piddly things to bitch about. Because of that I have never been disappointed on a cruise, and I have never come home complaining about it. There is so much more to life than whining.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Goes to show you that some people HAVE to find something to complain about or they can't be happy! :rolleyes:

I cruise to enjoy myself, not to find piddly things to bitch about. Because of that I have never been disappointed on a cruise, and I have never come home complaining about it. There is so much more to life than whining.

My feelings, exactly!

its unrealistic never to be disappointed by anything...

I thank the poster for the review...what I gleaned from it is that the food was good and so was the service...

we have just recently come off an Oceania cruise, where the service in the MDR was terrible, you could spend upwards to two hours at a meal...and most people on that line are happy to do that, since there is nothing else to do....

as for clientele, yes more refined, but with that came self indulged, spoiled, catered to, feeling entitled, have been everywhere and done everything multiple times, bored, no need for me to go on....we travel with friends so this clientele had no negative effect on me and would not prevent me from sailing with Oceania again....

one thing I loved...NO KIDS aboard..people are really on a couples vacation.. it didnt feel like camp or a circus....you cant describe a line as focussed on "modern luxury" when kids are screaming in the dining room and running around...nothing luxurious about that......

for me " modern luxury" would be an understated ambiance, peaceful yet activity filled for those who have varied interests, a quiet elegance.....take away all kids and some classless people ( those who enter the newly not so newly wed game and the belly flopping contest, shorts and ripped jeans in the dining room, etc.) and celebrity may have that....

it just got very hot in here...ah the flames have arrived...lol...

And a big AMEN!

Babr,

Nice easy to understand review.

We love the Solstice Class ships. We cruised on the Royal Princess in August and I agree that Celebrity's drink prices and dining surcharges are significantly higher. I am also not impressed with the book part of the library. (It does look impressive.)

We currently have four Celebrity Solstice Class ships booked and we beleive the "Modern Luxury" is mostly an effective marketing spin. The most significant change that we have noticed is with the suite benefits and the suite bookings look to be strong on the cruises that

we have booked.

I am glad that you enjoyed your cruise.

Thanks for telling me that Celebrity's slogan did not meet expectations. I base all my decisions on marketing slogans. To my dismay: 1) I did not have it my way at Burger King, and 2) my Maxwell House Coffee was not good to the last drop.

I'm always amused that people can tell by just looking at them on whether people can afford certain activities. Unless you have access to tax returns, how does one really know.

My hope is on the new ship they put water slides. ;)

Edited by parallax

I think you are over thinking the slogan "Modern Luxury". Modern luxury is a mass market watered down version of "True Luxury", which is exactly what Celebrity provides. If you were expecting to sail with the Rockefeller s, Vanderbilt s, and the Morgan s you chose the wrong line.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Thanks for telling me that Celebrity's slogan did not meet expectations. I base all my decisions on marketing slogans. To my dismay: 1) I did not have it my way at Burger King, and 2) my Maxwell House Coffee was not good to the last drop.

I'm always amused that people can tell by just looking at them on whether people can afford certain activities. Unless you have access to task returns, how does one really know.

My hope is on the new ship they put water slides. ;)

I vote for a WalMart. You know, for those "didn't look like they lived lives of luxury at home" paupers. And, don't let them mingle with the suite guests lest they ruin the fancy people's cruises. :D

Things fell into place so that we could get reasonable airfare along with a good cruise fare about three weeks before the sailing date - well past final payment. I was surprised that so many suites were still available even though I know the time between the holidays is often slow for cruises. HAL and Princess offer upsells or upgrades from one category to another, but I don't know how Celebrity works. Seems rather strange that they would sell the suites to some Johnny-come-lately at a deeply discounted price rather than make happy customers of those who booked earlier at higher rates.

Maybe those customers would have had to give up drink packages or other perks that we didn't get. Which brings me to my next point - drink packages. There seems to be quite a bit of angst - or at least discussion - about these and what they cover. We did not consider buying one but chose the pay-as-you-go option. Once I saw the prices on the wine list at Murano, I began to understand why people might consider the package to be a good deal. I thought the drinks overall were much higher priced than what I am used to seeing on other cruise lines. As was everthing else.

Like the Sky Suite itself. I was very impressed with the attention to detail in the design. The multi-function shower was lovely and easy to use. I appreciated the night-light that stayed on when you turned off the bathroom light. I especially liked the hinged mirror doors on the medicine cabinet. They not only kept clutter out of sight, they could be positioned to check your hair-do from every angle. I even liked the door hooks with the cross bar that kept robes or towels from falling off. Did you notice the loops on the towels that allow you to hang them on the hooks? Closet space for hanging clothes was lacking. For a longer cruise, one would have to leave more things folded on shelves or in drawers. And who designed those super shallow drawers on the dressing table/desk?

Overall, we were very pleased with the experience. I just couldn't help feeling at times that I was in some kind of Disneyland for adults - everything was an illision and everything was for sale. Modern Luxury? Maybe - but most of the people I saw around the ship, at the buffet, or digging in the Boulevard sale items didn't look like they lived lives of luxury at home, and I couldn't help wondering if the illusion was satisfying and at what cost?

fee based movies? Are you speaking of pay per view on your TV or in the theatre? We Were on Silhouette last month and there was never a charge for the movie in the theatre. I didn't think to look for pay TV movies.

Modern Luxury? There have been many posts by first time X cruisers who were relieved to find that their fellow X passengers were, for the most part, normal down to Earth people just like them. Hopefully money does not change that.

Edited by TomBeckCruise