Prescription Bottles

Travelw

We bring the prescription labels, but put the medications in those pill holders as they take up far less space then a bunch of bottles. However when DH was on a narcotic pain killer, we took those in the original bottle because they were a controlled substance. Never had any problems at all either in Europe, Australia, or the South Pacific.

Just curious but have they ever?

I had every one of my medications examined at the Fairbanks airport. There was only one security guy for our flight. It took forever to get through security because he checked everything! He checked every pill in my 7 day container against the prescription bottles that I had with me. I have never had them checked any where else in the US or Europe.

The only time I have heard it might be problematic is if you are stopped by security in Singapore either leaving or returning to the ship...Singapore has a whole different set of rules than anywhere else...like for instance, it is against the law to chew gum while walking on the streets there...so you know that if you meds are not in their very own little properly labeled bottles it is going to cause a problem if your bags are searched and there are pills in baggies...

Sissy

Edited by SissyG

I kept the last bottle that was filled and only put in enough for the trip plus a couple extra days. That way if space is a concern coming back home, I can just toss the bottles (and put the few left in a baggie). Just an idea.

This.

We have a screen capture of our listing of diagnoses, medications and dosages as the first photo in our Camera Roll on our iPhones. The phones are ALWAYS with us when we're off the ship. The only med we use where we take the bottle is the one controlled substance DH takes. I really don't think my asthma meds would raise a red flag in any country.

This is a great idea! 😃

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You can ask your pharmacist for labelled small bottles of each of your prescriptions to take with you. Put the bottles in a plastic bag so the bottles stay in one place. Would be harder to do if your meds come mail order.

Federal law requires that all controlled substances must be in their original dispensed containers. In addition, many States require that all prescriptions, not just controlled substances, be also kept in their original containers. While the odds of getting caught are small, they are not insignificant. Several years back I was in Houston’s IAH on my way to Aspen. After passing through security I saw a water fountain and took 2 Sudafed pills that I had stored in a pill box along with several Aspirins. An undercover narcotics agent saw me, flashed a badge, asked what I had taken, and “requested” to see my pill box. I asked for her ID and then showed her the box. She then stated that in Texas it is illegal to carry any prescription outside their original containers but since Sudafed did not require an Rx I was free to go. If I had taken any medication requiring a prescription I would have at least been detained for a while, or perhaps more, maybe missing my flight.

My recommendation to all is to leave your Rx meds in their original containers and not risk any issues. :)

She then stated that in Texas it is illegal to carry any prescription outside their original containers but since Sudafed did not require an Rx I was free to go. If I had taken any medication requiring a prescription I would have at least been detained for a while, or perhaps more, maybe missing my flight.

My recommendation to all is to leave your Rx meds in their original containers and not risk any issues.

So much for people in Texas (and other states with similar laws) who take a small pill box with a pill or two when they go out to a restaurant for dinner.

Forget the small pill box. Must take the original containers.

Just bring a bigger purse if you are a woman. If you are a man, ask your DW or GF to bring a bigger purse to hold your meds.

Edited by caribill

Federal law requires that all controlled substances must be in their original dispensed containers. In addition, many States require that all prescriptions, not just controlled substances, be also kept in their original containers. While the odds of getting caught are small, they are not insignificant. Several years back I was in Houston’s IAH on my way to Aspen. After passing through security I saw a water fountain and took 2 Sudafed pills that I had stored in a pill box along with several Aspirins. An undercover narcotics agent saw me, flashed a badge, asked what I had taken, and “requested” to see my pill box. I asked for her ID and then showed her the box. She then stated that in Texas it is illegal to carry any prescription outside their original containers but since Sudafed did not require an Rx I was free to go. If I had taken any medication requiring a prescription I would have at least been detained for a while, or perhaps more, maybe missing my flight.

My recommendation to all is to leave your Rx meds in their original containers and not risk any issues. :)

Or avoid Texas.

Or avoid Texas.

Texas is very conservative but it is not just Texas. For controlled substances such as sleeping pills or pain killers it is Federal Law. Arizona and others have similar laws as well. See this from Maine: http://edfolsomlaw.com/2013/01/illegal-possession-of-your-own-prescription-drugs/

I thought I would relate my IAH experience since some of you sail out of Houston or Galveston, however I think the odds of any issues are very small. That being the case, it would not surprise me if there are narcotics agents on duty at every major airport. Also I would not want to be stopped for speeding while having a pill box visible on my console. A baggie would be worse, would likely give the cop probable cause and if nothing else an inconvenience for me having to prove I have an Rx.

Better have them in original bottle if going into the UAE. May not check but if they do it could be trouble if not in correct bottles with RX on the bottle. Also, not all RX can be legally carried there, and no I'm not talking about ones allowed in CO but not other states...

I take Panadol Osteo which comes in a sheet of 12 capsule shaped tablets with the information printed over the tablet holder where you push the tablet through. The actual packet is (approx. conversion-metric only ruler) 2" x2.5" x 4.5" inches and a bit bulky to carry the whole packet in my handbag. Would it be appropriate to carry the sheet and a copy of my prescription in a Ziploc Bag-I usually need to take Panadol Osteo in the afternoon, so need to carry it with me? Several cruises from Houston are on my Win Lotto Dream List so greatly appreciate the alert care is being taken by the authorities-(nit picking to some! *wicked grin*)

Crochetcruise :cool::cool:

All my medications come in blister packs, never had a bottle. I also carry the latest prescription order form. Also never been asked what the tablets are!

Ah THAT'S the correct term for what I was trying to describe! Thank You! It sounds like a Webster Pak, where the medications are packed according to dosage at time of day by the Pharmacist, may not be appropriate when travelling. Thanks for the "heads up!"

Crochetcruise :cool:

Before flying into Singapore a couple of years ago, I went on line to read their rules on bringing Meds. into country.

Certain drugs had to be approved by them before flying in.

All drugs had to be in original containers, no matter what drugs they were.

So we had our pharmacy give us small labelled bottles (enough for our 5 week trip). For vitamins I purchased small bottles.

Well, going through immigration, no one looked, asked questions, we just picked up our luggage and basically walked out with no questions asked.Still, was glad I followed their rules. One never knows what can happen in a foreign country.

Edited by san diego sue

Neither my husband nor I have ever carried the original bottles, overseas or otherwise. My husband flies for business every week. All of our meds have always been in daily boxes and have never even gotten a second glance.

(knock wood)

Before flying into Singapore a couple of years ago, I went on line to read their rules on bringing Meds. into country.

Certain drugs had to be approved by them before flying in.

All drugs had to be in original containers, no matter what drugs they were.

If I was visiting Singapore I would be very paranoid about infringing on their laws. They have some of the harshest drug laws anywhere.

You can have this done at some US pharmacies also for an extra cost.

Same here in Australia, they're called Webster Paks. Was unsure about the different medications being identified accurately by the authorities, so haven't considered it for myself, carrying the medications in a Ziploc bag with the prescriptions and a letter from the Dr giving details of over-the-counter medications to be used in conjunction with prescribed medications (osteo-arthritis treatment with Fish Oil capsules) should be enough for a coastal cruise.

It's EXACTLY 53 weeks until I fly to Melbourne for embarkation the next morning! This Friday it will be an exact Calendar year to sailing! Yes, I am MORE than a little OCD over this cruise! It's been a dream of mine ever since watching the Love Boat!

Crochetcruise :cool: