Taxis safe?

Tammy296

This is our first time going outside the gates at cozumel port. Last time it looked scary to us so we stayed in port!

Are taxis safe? (Right from the gate)

We arrive in port at 10am off the epic and have until 6pm...hope we can find something to occupy our time til then!

We have gone to Cozumel more than 7 times. We have docked at both the downtown and International piers.

We have taken many taxis and never had a problem. The rates are posted at the docks so look for them.

Interesting, but we have never had a driver try to get more than the posted rates.

There are many great places to visit and overall, I think it is as safe as anyplace can be.

You do see a presence of police carrying firearms but that is common in many of the ports.

We've taken a number of taxis in Cozumel a number of times with no problems at all.

Use the same common sense you should use anywhere. Look at the vehicle, look at the driver, ask if he will take you where you want to go....... if you are satisfied, get in. If not, say thank you and look for another taxi. We've never had to bypass a taxi in Cozumel but we have a few times elsewhere.

It has been a few years since we have been to Cozumel. But if I recall we walked thru the port area and about a 100 yards or so to an area where taxis were waiting. They were supposedly cheaper as they didn't have to pay a fee to be allowed in the gated area.

Is this the way it still is at Cozumel?

Are these the taxis everyone is talking about, outside the gate?

Thanks.

It has been a few years since we have been to Cozumel. But if I recall we walked thru the port area and about a 100 yards or so to an area where taxis were waiting. They were supposedly cheaper as they didn't have to pay a fee to be allowed in the gated area.

Is this the way it still is at Cozumel?

Are these the taxis everyone is talking about, outside the gate?

Thanks.

In Cozumel, once you walk outside the port, you are basically at the street where all the taxi's are located.

At Punta Langosta, it's a 2 story open building that you walk through and it goes across the street (in the picture below you will see the street the cabs are on and drop you off right there to ride back up the escalator and back over across the street to check in) and you wind your way down to the street.

PC200817-L.jpg

International Port:

PC200254-L.jpg

They have a system at this one where you come out of the port and you are standing in line and as each cab pulls up, they put you in it going to where you want to go.

PC200258-L.jpg

PC200259-L.jpg

At Puerta Maya. There's a nice little turn around area and a building you stand under to catch a cab.

IMG_0184-L.jpg

IMG_0185-L.jpg

We were in Cozumel at the end of January and took a taxi (van) from Punta Langosta pier (downtown) to Chankanaab for snorkeling. We had no problems and the trip was very quick. I don't think our driver spoke English but that was not an issue.

We paid the posted price, which was $12 for 1-4 passengers. There were just 2 of us.

For the return trip from Chank, the posted price was $13. We paid it, but I wondered why it was $1 more.

Edited by hawk1972

We were in Cozumel at the end of January and took a taxi (van) from Punta Langosta pier (downtown) to Chankanaab for snorkeling. We had no problems and the trip was very quick. I don't think our driver spoke English but that was not an issue.

We paid the posted price, which was $12 for 1-4 passengers. There were just 2 of us.

For the return trip from Chank, the posted price was $13. We paid it, but I wondered why it was $1 more.

This is our first time in Cozumel and just wondering if there were any difficulties getting a cab ride back to the pier if we go to Chankanaab to snorkel. Thanks

This is our first time in Cozumel and just wondering if there were any difficulties getting a cab ride back to the pier if we go to Chankanaab to snorkel. Thanks

Absolutely NOT. They have a system there that is so simple.

Chankanaab has a turn around around where they pick up and drop off people. They have a parking lot right next door to it and out of the way. There will be tons of cabs/vans sitting there. A few people stand at the turn around and they all have walkie talkies. When you are ready to leave, you simply tell them how many people and the radio a cab from the parking area. So simple. No worries. :)

Can you avoid going up those stairs to get to the cabs at the international pier? My wife has trouble with steps after blowing out her achilles tendon.

Thanks!

You don't walk up the stairs. You just go straight through the shopping area. I believe there are ramps as alternatives where there are one or two steps.

Once out the front it is as Mitsugirly says, there is a dispatcher that puts you into each cab as they come along. There is a list of prices at this point. It is sometimes rather chaotic around that area and there can be a long line for taxi depending on time of day. You can also exit port and cross the road to new Royal shopping area (which is where some of the taxis drop you on return). I think you can always request to be dropped of inside port area on return.

You don't walk up the stairs. You just go straight through the shopping area. I believe there are ramps as alternatives where there are one or two steps.

Once out the front it is as Mitsugirly says, there is a dispatcher that puts you into each cab as they come along. There is a list of prices at this point. It is sometimes rather chaotic around that area and there can be a long line for taxi depending on time of day. You can also exit port and cross the road to new Royal shopping area (which is where some of the taxis drop you on return). I think you can always request to be dropped of inside port area on return.

Thanks for the great info! She can do a few steps...slowly....sideways

We will need a van taxi for five, from the photos it looks like those are rather plentiful?

Thanks for the great info! She can do a few steps...slowly....sideways

We will need a van taxi for five, from the photos it looks like those are rather plentiful?

Plenty of cabs for 5 people...and even more. You could be put in a van sharing with others going to the same place at times too. No worries...they have cabs for just about every sized family. :D

Other than skipping to the next cab in line because the first one had seat belts that were knotted or cut (why? :confused:) we've never had an issue with taxis in Coz - something I cannot say about Philadelphia! :mad:

We wanted to take a cab to the Money Bar last year when we were in cozumel and the driver tried to overcharge us. The rates are set to most places and there's a sign near the cab stand that has the info on it. So, make sure you are charged correctly. Also, the driver did not take us where we wanted to go but tried dropping us off at a Corona bar or something that wasn't as nice as the Money Bar. By this time I was getting a little annoyed and scared that we had been kidnapped by the taxi driver. He kept trying to take us to other places except where we had asked to go. So, just make sure you tell them exactly where you want to go and maybe have a map or something so you know you are headed the right way. This was the first time we have had an issue like this and have been on many cruises.