LA Times - Prinsendam Atlantic Xing Review

need2cruisesoon

DW and I consider her our favorite HAL ship (we have done 4 TA crossings on the P'Dam). It is difficult to explain to others why we love this old ship with all her many faults, but there are plenty of other P'dam lovers that understand :).

Hank

DW and I consider her our favorite HAL ship (we have done 4 TA crossings on the P'Dam). It is difficult to explain to others why we love this old ship with all her many faults, but there are plenty of other P'dam lovers that understand :).

Hank

You hit the nail on the head...it is hard to explain why we love this old ship. We had dinner last night with a couple we met on Prinsendam. They just didn't feel the same way and have no desire to sail her again. They don't say anything bad...they just don't think she is anything out of the ordinary. No one will believe this, but I don't push the subject....I just change the conversation!!

This should required reading for all the Prinsendam naysayers. Or, this could be a "sticky" we could refer them to! Everytime I tell the naysayers about her repeater rate, they pooh pooh it. Now they can read it in black and white! Glad to hear we could possibly get another 5 years out of her!

I thank you for sharing the link. great article and summed up well

from the article - Why Prinsendam?

Loyalists keep returning to Prinsendam (though it's pricier than the balance of the Holland America fleet) because they like its traditional ambience (it "shows its age," but in a good sense), its history and lineage, which the line features in paintings and ship models. "Elegant atmosphere," Roberts cited in a Q&A with passengers as among the attractions. "Individual attention, higher ratio of crew to passengers, ample public space, nostalgia."

So what's Prinsendam's future?

"I imagine she will sail for another five years or so for us," Roberts said, "then go on to a further life with another line."

He pretty much nailed it. thank you again, my favourite ship in the fleet. And only 82 days on her :)

Glad to hear that Captain Tim gives the 'Elegant Explorer' another 5 years of possible HAL service.

We've only accumulated 48 days aboard her to date and enjoyed the staff and ship immensely. We'll be retiring sometime next year (maybe) and would like to enjoy more time on the Prinsendam prior to 'her' retirement from HAL.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

We sail on her in Dec. for a 16-day holiday cruise. It will be our 1st time on this ship, but we've heard positive comments for years, and we can hardly wait.

Like many other HAL repeat passengers (getting close to 4 star), we enjoy the smaller ships. The captain on our Alaska cruise aboard Amsterdam this past summer summed it up well when he said the smaller ships aren't generating enough profit margin, thus HAL will continue to move to larger ships. If his prediction holds true, we may also be looking to move on to another line with small ships. Being part of a herd of passengers just isn't for us.

We only have one regret after 20 years of cruising and that was to have to cancel our Prinsendam cruise a few years because of work. By the time we were in a position to cruise again the Prinsendam, and HAL for that matter, were no longer our first option or choice. Considering it looks like she'll be around for a few more years we might be able to reconsider her.

Well-written article. I was on that cruise and enjoyed it immensely. I would travel more on the Prinsendam' date=' except that with the single supplement, it is often out of my price range.[/quote']

My husband and I were lucky enough to be on board the Prinsendam with several of the OPs. Great ship, wonderful people, lots of great memories....and the great newspaper article only hit a few of the pluses.

I love the quote..."we had eight days ahead with nothing to do — and not nearly enough time to do it."

Edited by Host Walt