9AM flight out of FLL - Can I make it?

We're on the Navigator in November out of Port Everglades. We have an option for a decently priced flight at 9AM out of FLL on Jet Blue. When we got off the Indy a couple weeks ago they were doing self-assist at like 6AM which leads me to believe I can make it with time to spare.

Has anyone done a 9AM flight? What do you guys think?

Honestly, I would be comfortable doing a 9:30 flight on Oasis/Allure because of the seamless departure and early arrivals into Port Everglades. That being said, Navigator is likely to use one of the old terminals and they are not nearly as efficient. I also think that 9AM is pushing it, period, even on Oasis/Allure.

While I usually am at FLL by 9AM after a cruise, I don't know that I would want to subject myself to the stress of a potential delay or late arrival.

If you could find something after 10AM, I would do that.

Indy is usually the first ship in so it isn't a problem there. Most likely you will make it but you can never account for issues (like fog in Tampa) that prevent the ship from getting in when expected. Is the lower airfare worth the stress you will be under to be sure you make it on time or the risk that you might have to pay more to get a later flight if you miss the early one?

Nope.. I wouldn't try it either! I'd spoil my whole cruise thinking about whether we were going to make our flight home. If everything is in your favor, then you likely "could" make it but it's just too early for me and there's too many things that can happen. ;)

I see the recommended check-in time is no later than 90 minutes prior; this puts you at the airport before 7:30 am - which means everything has to line up perfectly including the ship docking on time, getting through Customs and Immigration (if necessary), getting a taxi and making it to the airport and through security with, potentially, several thousand of your newest, bestest friends who are also disembarking and going to one of two major airports.

Would I do it? Absolutely no way. I would not book any flight before 11 am, but that's just me. And some others here. ;):p:D

EDITED to add: How does your flight connect from FLL, as Jet Blue does not fly to Canada.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I see the recommended check-in time is no later than 90 minutes prior; this puts you at the airport before 7:30 am - which means everything has to line up perfectly including the ship docking on time, getting through Customs and Immigration (if necessary), getting a taxi and making it to the airport and through security with, potentially, several thousand of your newest, bestest friends who are also disembarking and going to one of two major airports.

Would I do it? Absolutely no way. I would not book any flight before 11 am, but that's just me. And some others here. ;):p:D

EDITED to add: How does your flight connect from FLL, as Jet Blue does not fly to Canada.

We fly into Maine not Canada. It is cheaper to fly from there. We pay about $300 pp in Maine and about $1000 from our home airport. The drive to Portland is about 3 hours so it is quite a savings.

We fly into Maine not Canada. It is cheaper to fly from there. We pay about $300 pp in Maine and about $1000 from our home airport. The drive to Portland is about 3 hours so it is quite a savings.

We fly into Portland Maine as well from NB. I dont know if i would chance a 9am flight. Trust me I love the savings too. ID probably worry the whole cruise, thinking am I going to make it. I hate waiting in that FLL airport too

Also: I noticed the prices to fly out of Fredericton at least are slighly starting to get a bit better in price to fly to FLL.

Edited by trev71

Nope.. I wouldn't try it either! I'd spoil my whole cruise thinking about whether we were going to make our flight home. If everything is in your favor, then you likely "could" make it but it's just too early for me and there's too many things that can happen. ;)

That would sum it up for us. Wouldn't try it. Good luck if you do. Not a pleasant way to end a vacation worrying about an early flight like that.

Out of cruise ships home ports...airlines price seats much cheaper on flights before 11 am to encourage non cruise traffic to travel which leaves higher price seats for cruise traffic for the balance of the day....also allows the airlines to place a focus on their operation to be able to handle the bag volumes from the ships....if you miss your 0900 am flight, you might be stuck untill the next day fkying standbye which increases your chances of not having your bag arrive with you

November is also hurricane season which along with the regular "things that may go wrong" makes a 0900 am departure not aviseable

I always book my flights after 12......

Never understood why people rush to get off the boat.

Its not hard to understand based on current airline policies/schedules. So often the choices aren't good ones. If you can get home by early afternoon going to work the next day isn't as rough.

I do miss the glory days of airline travel (80s) when you could have more flights to choose from and airlines honored each others tickets.

We're on the Navigator in November out of Port Everglades. We have an option for a decently priced flight at 9AM out of FLL on Jet Blue. When we got off the Indy a couple weeks ago they were doing self-assist at like 6AM which leads me to believe I can make it with time to spare.

Has anyone done a 9AM flight? What do you guys think?

I would not recommend it. We just docked last Saturday and the disembarkation process was an absolute nightmare. People in line behind us had 11:45 a.m. flights out of Ft. Lauderdale and a connection in Chicago and were going to miss both flights. The cruise line did nothing to expedite their disembarkation.

I'm another NO vote. I only drive home, but having tried to make it off the ship early (with no real penalty for missing my car at a certain time) I can say it wouldn't have worked for me.

ETA: this port, this trip

Edited by poncho1973

NO.....boarding would be at like 8:15ish. You have to check in, clear security(which you dont have any idea how long it would take)

You have to get off the ship and get your ride there in traffic?

I can't even believe someone would chance it or think its possible. Even those that ask about 10am or 11am is risky. 9am, never. Not a chance.