Prices Gone Up & Perks Gone?

poffles

Just looked up a cruise i was booking for 2017 and today not only are the perks gone, which I am okay with given I would get 123 on board, but the price has gone up!! Don't know about other sailings but it really sucks.

Not a happy camper.

IMHO 2017 is too far out to access X's pricing strategy going forward. I believe X used big perks to introduce permanent higher prices. Hopefully, we will see some sales now and then. But, it's all about increasing profit margins for the shareholders.

Shaco

I am not certain that the promos are shown accurately on Celebritiy's website.

I booked a May 2016 Bermuda cruise a couple of months ago with free beverage package, prepaid gratuities and $300 OBC from Celebrity and additional OBC from our travel agency.

The price dropped $100 but the only perk was $300 OBC.

I checked my travel agent site and it still showed ALL the promos and the reduced price. I called the agency, they called Celebrity and I got the reduced price, free bev, prepaid grays and $300 OBC plus the travel agency's OBC.

Our travel agency only gives OBC, they do not offer free beverage packages or prepaid gratuities. Those came from Celebrity.

Just sucks, price and perks changed just since yesterday due to promotions ending. I will likely still book on board and just watch for price drops. Want to get the extra OBC for booking on board.

Does anyone know if the Booking on Board perks still apply - ie free bev pkg?

We have 3 cruises booked - 2 within the last 2 days and both of those cruises have gone UP and know bev pkg. So for sure nothing special.

A lot depends on the itinerary. We have 2 cruises booked for 2016 both sold out except inside. Also have 2 booked for 2017, one has plenty of space the other has some categories (C1 and AQ1) sold out and the prices are increasing.

Just looked up a cruise i was booking for 2017 and today not only are the perks gone, which I am okay with given I would get 123 on board, but the price has gone up!! Don't know about other sailings but it really sucks.

Not a happy camper.

It was bound to happen.

Will wait for prices to drop back or will have to do a land vacation at least for me.

Hope to sail though.

If we expect the Celebrity product to stay the same, to maintain quality and style- to keep in line with their reputation for good food and therefore good food ingredients- we have to accept that the prices HAVE to go up!

If you compare the cost of a cruise and what you get for- well IMO " a better bargain never driven " !

One can read over and over again here on the X board that X is cutting cosst- cutting here and there- well have they another chance when they don´t rise the price in keeping with the cost???

If we want a Premium Product ( which it still is- IMO) we have to be prepared for a bit higher prices then the other mass markt products!

Just try to book a hotel in the style of the X ships- and then thing about the prices for your meals.... a land based holiday cheaper? Never! EVER!

Edited by Germancruiser

My Equinox November cruise has the 123 perk. Today, it would cost me $200 more, for a balcony room (vs a Concierge) and has no perks.

Which sailing? We are in an A2 on Nov 20th and they are up $836 pp with no perk! I don't know how anyone could afford to join us with this rate!:eek:

We have 6 future cruises booked with Celebrity. I checked the prices yesterday (after the promos had ended) and the cost of 5 of the cruises have increased on an average of $250 a person with no perks. I'm so glad we booked when we did!

Its first quarter 2015, and 2017 you want what? :rolleyes:

???? Is there a point to this remark/question and rolling of the eyes. Like many I plan ahead and obviously Celebrity knows that or they wouldn't publish their dates so far ahead. It was good of you to focus on that aspect of what my post was about. And yes I already know that I have plenty of time to watch for better prices. The prices having gone up so much over the past months may have me looking elsewhere, same cruise I booked verandah on the Summit the past November is almost doubling in cost to book this ship this time of year in the future. Exchange plays a part in that but not that much.

Not sure the value of your post

Edited by poffles

We are looking at cruising in November and would LOVE to be able to get the free beverage package or at least some sort of discount. Any idea if any sort of discount will come up for November? Or suggestions as to where to find the best deal?

We are looking at cruising in November and would LOVE to be able to get the free beverage package or at least some sort of discount. Any idea if any sort of discount will come up for November? Or suggestions as to where to find the best deal?

At this time the best thing to do is go to the web site and sign up for email notices. This way if something comes up you will know about it. Or contact a local Agent and have them keep a watch out for you.

Our last two Nov cruises, ( 7 day Reflection 2013, 11 day Equinox 2014 ) never went down after the perk promo went away. Last night when we checked this yr's our A2 was over $800 per person higher than when we booked last Nov.

Why would the price go down after the percs went away? Aren't they free to begin with??

This is one of the most debated topics here on CC after the dress code.:D

Some think prices are raised to cover the cost of the free stuff, and will tell everyone to wait an wait an wait to book. If a certain sailing is not selling well, X has in the past dropped their drawers to fill the ship.

But the flip side happens more often than not. 85-90% of the sailings are selling well and there is no need to reduce the price.

But never say never! Glad we didnt wait n wait n wait!:D

Why would the price go down after the percs went away? Aren't they free to begin with??

If anyone thinks the perks are free, have I got a bridge to sell them :cool:

The cost of the perks has to be covered somewhere and while it would be nice if they were truly free, that would mean a hit to their profit and you know that won't happen long term.

Celebrities' prices have risen more (IMHO) that other lines which is partially due to them covering the cost of the "free" perks but also due to the increased popularity and demand for Celebrity (more demand = more cabins booked = fewer available = increase price).

Many on this forum (including me) expected to see a price drop. While that hasn't happened with the new program I suspect we'll see prices slowly drop until demand increases.

In the meantime I'll look at other lines to find something that works for me. I prefer Celebrity, but not at any cost.

If anyone thinks the perks are free, have I got a bridge to sell them :cool:

The cost of the perks has to be covered somewhere and while it would be nice if they were truly free, that would mean a hit to their profit and you know that won't happen long term.

Celebrities' prices have risen more (IMHO) that other lines which is partially due to them covering the cost of the "free" perks but also due to the increased popularity and demand for Celebrity (more demand = more cabins booked = fewer available = increase price).

Many on this forum (including me) expected to see a price drop. While that hasn't happened with the new program I suspect we'll see prices slowly drop until demand increases.

In the meantime I'll look at other lines to find something that works for me. I prefer Celebrity, but not at any cost.

While what you say is true. I have found that in my search on other cruise lines that the prices are the same and sometimes higher for similar itineraries and they are not offering perks. So in a sense there is also merit to them being free. Now with all of the drink packages going up along with the already increased gratuity, If you didn't book a cruise with a drink package you are not only paying a higher fare for the cruise in some cases but it will now cost you more to purchase the drink packages.

If we expect the Celebrity product to stay the same, to maintain quality and style- to keep in line with their reputation for good food and therefore good food ingredients- we have to accept that the prices HAVE to go up!

If you compare the cost of a cruise and what you get for- well IMO " a better bargain never driven " !

One can read over and over again here on the X board that X is cutting cosst- cutting here and there- well have they another chance when they don´t rise the price in keeping with the cost???

If we want a Premium Product ( which it still is- IMO) we have to be prepared for a bit higher prices then the other mass markt products!

Just try to book a hotel in the style of the X ships- and then thing about the prices for your meals.... a land based holiday cheaper? Never! EVER!

I would argue that a land based holiday is not necessarily more expensive at all. One can argue what class of hotel = a Celebrity ship, and what class of restaurant equals eating in the MDR. So we could each come up with scenarios to prove our point.

But just for consideration - this past March DH wanted to go on a cruise and I wanted a land vacation in Fort Lauderdale or San Antonio. I priced out both locations versus a cruise vacation. In the end, the cruise vacation cost us 20-25% more (he was dying for another cruise so we picked it anyway). This was including all reasonable variables - including adding rental cars, meals, and daily entertainment to our land trip in addition to nice (Hilton or Doubletree) if not top of the line hotels, which I feel are comparable to staying in an AQ cabin on Celebrity if not nicer.

I think it is a fallacy that cruising is cheaper than land vacations in general. There are often a lot more acceptable options to choose from in the way of airfare, hotels, restaurants etc. on land, which allows you to find more reasonable pricing. I love cruising, and I think there are many perks about cruising that do not come with a land trip (unpack once, less planning, less stress and on and on) but cost? Not necessarily cheaper IMHO.

We travel from Dallas to run Half Marathons. So we have had to book hotel, find dinning and transportation after flying or driving into a location. We may be among the few, but compared to what we paid to sail X in 2000, we agree, today's product for the cost is a good deal.

Which sailing? We are in an A2 on Nov 20th and they are up $836 pp with no perk! I don't know how anyone could afford to join us with this rate!:eek:

Yes, we are onboard with you!

There is no fresh orange juice being served on Solstice now and this is going fleet wide. They now serve a type of frozen juice which may have additives that are not suitable for some people.

It should be clearly marked that this is not fresh juice but at present this is not the case.

Staff should also be informed that it is not fresh as they appear to think that it is.

Brissie