Camping chairs.

My husband and I are going on the Explorer of the Seas on the 17th June, this year, and we are becoming very nervious. We keep reading and hearing that because Royal Caribbean have put in extra staterooms and dining venues (to pay for one obviously) on this ship, that the Windjammer is now way to small and crowded and that it is almost impossible for people to find a space. It has always been quite difficult to find space in the Windjammer, but if they have made if even smaller, then perhaps we will have to take our own Camping chairs and table with us. Both my husband and I are disabled and unable to stand and walk distances. They have also reduced bar space and seating in the lounges as well, and there is not a lot of room to sit for a drink especially after late dining. We paid top price for this cruise, and if things are as bad as they say they are, I can see that I will be spending quite a lot of time at Customer Services.

Come on Royal Caribbean this is just GREED.

If you go on a cruise with an attitude that it will be terrible then it will be. I take all negative reviews with a grain of salt, people love to complain about the smallest things. If you need assurance finding seats ask the staff for help and they will gladly assist.

The MDR is open for breakfast every day and for lunch on sea days. You will always get a seat and be served rather than trying to do it yourself in the WJ. The only time I've seen the MDR crowded is at opening time for lunch on a sea day. However, if you wait until 12:45 there should be no line.

On port days the WJ should be much less crowded for lunch if you're not going ashore.

Edited by 138east

I've seen passengers taking bags of snacks on cruises, not just concealing a few cans of chips in a carryon, to possibly use at a beach day, but plastic shopping bags full of chips, etc., and strollers packed full of soda and water. Seeing that certainly takes away from the excitement of boarding a ship, especially for first time cruisers. To take your camping chairs and table for use on your balcony is one thing, but please, not in the Windjammer or in any other public areas. If this catches on, can you imagine what the ship atmosphere will become?

Edited by HappyCampers3

First of all, if you and your husband are so disabled that you have trouble getting around how on earth will you be able to carry camping chairs and table around on a ship?

Secondly, its not that crowded...just choose your times wisely and avoid the buffets if the dining room is open. Sit down and get waited on.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

If all the venues are soooooo crowded, where exactly would you put your table and chairs? Seriously, the first thing I thought was, if they're disabled, how are they going to carry that stuff around? You can't walk far, but you can carry extra weight? That makes zero sense, as does even thinking about bringing them to begin with.

As for the WJ, we rarely eat there except maybe the first day, snacks and occasional lunch, but we've always been able to find a seat. Just dont' go at prime time when the majority eat, such as 12 for lunch. We usually eat in the MDR for breakfast and as pp said, no problem getting seating there. Also, in the WJ, the staff can and will help you find a seat, especially if you are disabled and need help.

Edited by BND

I guess it didn't translate well for an American audience, but the OP is not seriously suggesting she will do this. It's a rhetorical device to illustrate that she thinks WJ will not have enough seating.

You mentioned you paid top dollar. Are you by chance in a suite? Suite guests have access to seating in Chops during lunchtime. You just bring your WJ food there, and there are waiters to bring your drinks. Never a problem getting a seat there. There's also breakfast served there for suite guests; no lines or problem getting a table.

If you have mobility issues, be sure to tell RC and they will be happy to assist you.

I guess it didn't translate well for an American audience, but the OP is not seriously suggesting she will do this. It's a rhetorical device to illustrate that she thinks WJ will not have enough seating.

How is this not translatable for an "American" audience, because I see nothing in it that says anything but what it states. I guess because it doesn't read the way you seem to think. It does not come across as tongue in cheek, rhetorical, or even joking. I can usually read sarcasm in a post, but this just flat out doesn't read that way.

Edited by BND

If it's not too late, consider cancelling the cruise and re-booking on Allure or Oasis. You should have plenty of room in Central Park to set up camp. We even brought our tent along. :)

They can set up their camp chairs and table in the extra space right next to the folks who want to set up their blow-up pool on the pool deck for their kids to play in.

Seriously, if the OP feels there is no room to eat and no room to have a drink and it is such a concern then why did they bother booking this ship at all?:confused:

If I would go with that attitude I would be very nervious too. BUt we should be Patient with the OP, they paid top Dollars for their cruise and I´m sure some roped off Areas in the WJ are included here. ;)

Just a tip for the OP, if there is a Need to visit Customer Services you should go when everybody else is fighting for a table in the WJ:D

With the exception of lunch on embarkation day, we've never had any problem finding a seat in the WJ on any ship. Not even during prime dining times. We always walk towards the back, and we are willing to share a table if necessary.

With the exception of lunch on embarkation day, we've never had any problem finding a seat in the WJ on any ship. Not even during prime dining times. We always walk towards the back, and we are willing to share a table if necessary.

True. And if you board earlier, you shouldn't have any problem finding a seat in the WJ, even on embarkation day.

My husband and I are going on the Explorer of the Seas on the 17th June, this year, and we are becoming very nervious. We keep reading and hearing that because Royal Caribbean have put in extra staterooms and dining venues (to pay for one obviously) on this ship, that the Windjammer is now way to small and crowded and that it is almost impossible for people to find a space. It has always been quite difficult to find space in the Windjammer, but if they have made if even smaller, then perhaps we will have to take our own Camping chairs and table with us. Both my husband and I are disabled and unable to stand and walk distances. They have also reduced bar space and seating in the lounges as well, and there is not a lot of room to sit for a drink especially after late dining. We paid top price for this cruise, and if things are as bad as they say they are, I can see that I will be spending quite a lot of time at Customer Services.

Come on Royal Caribbean this is just GREED.

the crew members that have to deal with you...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Being unable to stand or walk distances will make all those trips to guest services quite a challenge. Perhaps you can find someone to carry you there. Better put them on retainer becuase it sounds like you're gonna be there - a lot.

Please, please tell me the original post was a joke...trying to see how outraged people would get at the thought of people bringing their own chairs and camp table....:o

Yes it was supposed to be taken jokingly. Because the Windjammer is apparently now so crowded, you have to wait a long time to get seated even with assistance from the staff. For someone who is unable to stand for any period of time, this is not good, and something that can be done without. The reason I wrote it the way I did was in in the vain hope that someone from RC looks at these comments they might just get the idea that all is not well.

You mentioned you paid top dollar. Are you by chance in a suite? Suite guests have access to seating in Chops during lunchtime. You just bring your WJ food there, and there are waiters to bring your drinks. Never a problem getting a seat there. There's also breakfast served there for suite guests; no lines or problem getting a table.

If you have mobility issues, be sure to tell RC and they will be happy to assist you.

No we are not in a suite, but because we need a certain type of cabin we have to book very early, or we don't get what we need.

I know someone who is on Explorer at the moment, and they say it is not just in the Windjammer it is everywhere, no where to sit, they have taken so much space for the new cabins and new dining venues, that there is not enough seating in the lounges or bars either.

The word disabled was placed in that paragraph so I really wanted to tread lightly and not snap to judgement that either it's not real or just not worded right.

But......... always a but.....:cool:

BND-I think you hit it spot on.

Ocean boy-you made me laugh.

Edited to say-you were posting at the same time as me so it was made to be a bit of a joke. OK then!!!!

Edited by Debde