I finally tried the bread pudding

cruz chic

On every ship. Sometimes it's behind the counter and you have to ask for it. That's what stopped me from trying it before.

Have never seen it behind the counter - at lunch anyway - as it usually has a place of honor in its chafing dish with its accompanying sauce.

Not a fan (of even my grandmother's) but DH makes up for me.

At one of the hands-on cooking classes, we made creme anglaise with vanilla beans scraped out of the pods - delicious - and the chef said it was the vanilla sauce for the bread pudding. I'm a fan of both.

We lived in the Caribbean for years, and local favorite, BP made with St. Croix's Cruzan Rum, was phenomenal - served for special occasions and in the top restaurant on the island. Loved it.

My DH wants to note that the problem, in his opinion, with HAL's bread pudding is that it is now made in a relatively shallow pan and dries out very quickly. The sauce, too, is in the same kind of flat, large pan and congeals quickly. Very unappetizing.

Until a few years ago, HAL served the bread pudding in a deeper round chafing dish with a lid that kept it warmer and moister. The sauce was in a deep dish and almost never got much of a skin on top and didn't congeal.

Also, DH think HAL is not using cream, but milk in the pudding.

This is too bad, because it used to be pretty good. He has discovered the fruit crisps, so all is not lost!

Have never seen it behind the counter - at lunch anyway - as it usually has a place of honor in its chafing dish with its accompanying sauce.

Not a fan (of even my grandmother's) but DH makes up for me.

Have you cruised on vista or signature ships? It's been behind the counter on all the ships I've sailed on. I was on the Noordam in April getting some ice cream. There was a guy behind me so upset he had to wait his turn to get the bread pudding while I got ice cream. I guess some people are starving:rolleyes:.

Having heard so much about the bread pudding here on Cruise Critic, I had to try it on the Westerdam as I love bread pudding. It was OK but Not good enough to have it more than once. It was available to serve yourself.

I had the crisps a number of times in the MDR and they were delicious.

The dive-in burger was also just OK but I only tried it once.

Edited by Scrapnana

Have you cruised on vista or signature ships? It's been behind the counter on all the ships I've sailed on. I was on the Noordam in April getting some ice cream. There was a guy behind me so upset he had to wait his turn to get the bread pudding while I got ice cream. I guess some people are starving:rolleyes:.

It was out in the open on the Nieuw Amsterdam when you were on in November, unless a garage door-like cover descended on it when you entered the Lido. :D I know, because I was looking for the "fancy" flavors. I never saw anything but plain old vanilla. It was in one of the cross-through parts of the Lido, not by the dessert station.

I like some bread pudding, but not all. I will have to wait until next April to judge HAL's. Cruz Chic- we've missed you on the other roll call. But glad you had a great time on this cruise. Your knowledge & experience have been greatly appreciated.

It was out in the open on the Nieuw Amsterdam when you were on in November, unless a garage door-like cover descended on it when you entered the Lido. :D I know, because I was looking for the "fancy" flavors. I never saw anything but plain old vanilla. It was in one of the cross-through parts of the Lido, not by the dessert station.

Maybe the cruises I've been on have had people that were eating too much of it so they hid it. For 100% sure it was behind the counter on the Noordam because the old dude was mad that he had to wait for me to have ice cream. The nerve of me getting there first. I'm not a fan of the lido so I'll leave it to the cafeteria experts :D.

I like some bread pudding, but not all. I will have to wait until next April to judge HAL's. Cruz Chic- we've missed you on the other roll call. But glad you had a great time on this cruise. Your knowledge & experience have been greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the nice comments. I better check out the roll call. It's more interesting then unpacking.

On the Noordam in January, the Bread Pudding was located in an alcove near the ice cream/dessert station at times. At other times, it was on a counter behind the ice cream/dessert station.

Thank you! Clearly they move it around. I bet it's based on consumption. I was beginning to wonder why I was the only one that has seen it behind the counter. Maybe if I liked that goo I might have a better take on where it's located on every ship in the fleet:D.

Thank you! Clearly they move it around. I bet it's based on consumption. I was beginning to wonder why I was the only one that has seen it behind the counter. Maybe if I liked that goo I might have a better take on where it's located on every ship in the fleet:D.

It was behind the ice cream counter on Westerdam this winter. When I didn't see it out where I was used to finding it, I got worried, but I tracked it down.

I never liked bread pudding. I'd tried to make it, but it never came out right. After hearing about it on CC, I tried HAL's. I'm both glad and sorry I did. Glad because I enjoy it. Sorry because it's loaded with calories. (Thank you, CCers for the extra pounds!!!!) I found the recipe in one of their cookbooks. Butter, sugar, eggs, what's not to like?

The custard sauce is good, but I don't take it because it's so rich and it's hard to convince the serving that I want "just a little" of the sauce.

I think one of HAL's weak points is desserts, especially cakes. All the cakes taste the same, even when they do the cupcake tea. All the cupcakes are the same flavor (sweet), but with different food coloring. I always want to find the pastry chef and ask if he knows about vanilla and lemons. But the sauce for the bread pudding has lots of vanilla in it. So there's vanilla in the larder somewhere.

It was behind the ice cream counter on Westerdam this winter. When I didn't see it out where I was used to finding it, I got worried, but I tracked it down.

I never liked bread pudding. I'd tried to make it, but it never came out right. After hearing about it on CC, I tried HAL's. I'm both glad and sorry I did. Glad because I enjoy it. Sorry because it's loaded with calories. (Thank you, CCers for the extra pounds!!!!) I found the recipe in one of their cookbooks. Butter, sugar, eggs, what's not to like?

The custard sauce is good, but I don't take it because it's so rich and it's hard to convince the serving that I want "just a little" of the sauce.

I think one of HAL's weak points is desserts, especially cakes. All the cakes taste the same, even when they do the cupcake tea. All the cupcakes are the same flavor (sweet), but with different food coloring. I always want to find the pastry chef and ask if he knows about vanilla and lemons. But the sauce for the bread pudding has lots of vanilla in it. So there's vanilla in the larder somewhere.

You are right about their desserts but I've had a few good ones lately. The cupcakes look good but they leave a lot to be desired.

After having about 350 days on hal I finally tried the bread pudding. I hear people raving about it constantly. It's my opinion that a good way to ruin bread is to make pudding out of it. I was told I had to try it because it's different. It was so gross I couldn't eat it. I took about 2 tablespoons of it and I hate to waste food but it was really bad. Feel free to eat my share in the future:D.

Bread pudding is not my cup of tea either. I also finally tried HAL's and sorry, I won't eat your left overs!

Diane

Put me in with the Bread Pudding lovers group. And, I really like the Vanilla Sauce that is on it as well. (In fact, my traveling companion asked me once when I returned to our table with this dessert: "Do you like a little Bread Pudding with your Vanilla Sauce?")

I agree: I do not care for the flavored varieties.

Maybe the differences in this dessert depends upon the chef preparing it.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I HAD BREAD PUDDING on the World cruise in 1997 and it was good.

Unfortunatly it hasn't been good since. I would doubt that any CHEF gets anywhere near it.. A fairly new cooks helper has that dubious task. Only GOD knows who is in charge of the Vanilla sauce?

sea ya

On our Iceland cruise last yr. my traveling friend had the fruit crisp every day. Nice varieties kept her happy.

I tried the Bread Pudding when we first started sailing with HAL and became addicted but lately I have avoided it. Helping oneself got out of hand and people mixed and mashed it and I avoided it. Then, they put it behind the counter and you had to ask for it. It was easier to get a chocolate cone.

I think the basic ingredients do not have much taste. It depends on the flavors added. A little vanilla does nothing, Rum helps but Brandy is even Better. Then there is chocolate. It should be warm and easy to digest. Sitting around totally ruins it!!

I tried it two years ago on our trip to Bermuda. I was all excited but unfortunately disappointed. I didn't care for it. Guess everyone is different. Luckily there are plenty of other desserts to choose from :).

... not at all surprised that some people do not like bread pudding, but am disappointed to see that so many people end up wasting food by "trying" a full portion instead of doing the sensible (responsible) thing and trying a sample-sized portion ...

... not at all surprised that some people do not like bread pudding, but am disappointed to see that so many people end up wasting food by "trying" a full portion instead of doing the sensible (responsible) thing and trying a sample-sized portion ...

Was there posts that said someone took a big portion? I took a tiny amount in the bottom of a bowl. Could you please direct me to the post I've clearly missed? Seems this is more a post to discredit than anything else.

After having about 350 days on hal I finally tried the bread pudding. I hear people raving about it constantly. It's my opinion that a good way to ruin bread is to make pudding out of it. I was told I had to try it because it's different. It was so gross I couldn't eat it. I took about 2 tablespoons of it and I hate to waste food but it was really bad. Feel free to eat my share in the future:D.

I can understand your reaction to Bread Pudding. I may not agree with it, but I can understand it:)

I detest many things that others rave about and yet to me what they love not only looks and smells horendous, but tastes so bad I cannot bite into:(

At least you gave it a try and now can move on to something else:)

Joanie

I can understand your reaction to Bread Pudding. I may not agree with it, but I can understand it:)

I detest many things that others rave about and yet to me what they love not only looks and smells horendous, but tastes so bad I cannot bite into:(

At least you gave it a try and now can move on to something else:)

Joanie

I've been encouraged by many posters to try it because it was so good even though I've said I don't care for bread pudding. I thought it had to be amazing the way people rave about it. Now I know it's not even mediocre. My former MIL used to make bread pudding. It was light years better than this and I didn't care for it.