I finally tried the bread pudding

cruz chic

Before my first cruise I heard all about the bread pudding, so I had to have some. That was the last time.

I don't dislike bread pudding. I've even made it a few times and my favorite one was a chocolate cherry one, but I just didn't care for the one I had on the ship.

A few of you have mentioned fruit crisp. What type of fruit is used and what else is in it? We've never cruised on HAL so I'm curious. We will be on our first HAL cruise next year. I enjoy trying new food, so I'm doing research! :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

A few of you have mentioned fruit crisp. What type of fruit is used and what else is in it? We've never cruised on HAL so I'm curious. We will be on our first HAL cruise next year so I'm doing research! :D

I've only seen the crisp in the MDR. They have different flavors such as berry, cherry, pineapple and banana. I haven't had the banana.

The best bread and butter pudding I ever ate was at a New Year's dinner in, of all places, Thailand. It probably contained an unhealthy amount of cream but it was so good I went back for seconds.

I have since made a few myself and the most successful was made using Italian pannetone bread with the crust trimmed off and a few liqueur soaked cherries plus other mixed, dried fruits. A far cry from the traditional "peasant" recipe for using up old bread.

Edited by Colin B

On the Eurodam in March the only flavor of Bread Pudding served was vanilla. It was good if one has a taste for bread pudding. (I do :) )

My dad was a WWll vet who returned, married a girl raised on a farm ... they had me while he went to college on the GI Bill.

Bread pudding wasn't a luxury then - it was a good way to use up any last slices of bread before it went bad. Nothing went to waste with the tight budget they were on. I grew up in the mid-west with bread pudding being a special treat :) so I have some after lunch once or twice a cruise,

I've only seen the crisp in the MDR. They have different flavors such as berry, cherry, pineapple and banana. I haven't had the banana.

I have seen fruit crisp in the Lido -- apple and cherry, maybe berry -- not sure about any other kinds.

Cruz Chic I think you and I are outnumbered here -- there are a lot of people who love bread pudding! Like Vict0riann I'm not crazy about bread, so maybe that's one reason I'm not tempted at all.

Love it, save a loaf of bread, eat chocolate!! :D

The fruit crisps are served in the MDR at dinner and the type of fruit varies from day to day. They are always delcious and well prepared. A scoop of ice cream, vanilla, is served along with the crisp. If there is room in the tummy--and that has become my issue--it is a great dessert.

A few of you have mentioned fruit crisp. What type of fruit is used and what else is in it? We've never cruised on HAL so I'm curious. We will be on our first HAL cruise next year. I enjoy trying new food, so I'm doing research! :D

Have had the apple, Cherry and a "mixed" berry. Hoping to try Banana when on the NA this week w/ carmel drizzle.

E

The fruit crisps are served in the MDR at dinner and the type of fruit varies from day to day. They are always delcious and well prepared. A scoop of ice cream, vanilla, is served along with the crisp. If there is room in the tummy--and that has become my issue--it is a great dessert.

I like this post. Crisp Of The Day is always a yummy alternative.;)

Edited by aliaschief

Heck, I grew up on Smelts for Friday night supper, sardines for snacks, and beef kidneys for Sunday dinner. Bread pudding would have been a big treat but we were sent out to pick an apple off the tree out back. :) I think I have gone to heaven being on these cruises and so does the OP. She's a great resource for information and thanks to her!:)

DH loves the HAL bread pudding. Me? Not a fan. :rolleyes: On your recommendation, cruz chic, I'll have to try the fruit crisp. In all these cruises, I never have.

Nice to finally meet you on a cruise! Hope the next 7 was enjoyable.

DH loves the HAL bread pudding. Me? Not a fan. :rolleyes: On your recommendation, cruz chic, I'll have to try the fruit crisp. In all these cruises, I never have.

Nice to finally meet you on a cruise! Hope the next 7 was enjoyable.

It was really nice meeting you and DH. The first week was the highlight for me. It was too cold the second week and I'm canadian so im used to the cold. I met some really nice people on this cruise that I will keep in contact with. That's great when it happens.

I have seen fruit crisp in the Lido -- apple and cherry, maybe berry -- not sure about any other kinds.

Cruz Chic I think you and I are outnumbered here -- there are a lot of people who love bread pudding! Like Vict0riann I'm not crazy about bread, so maybe that's one reason I'm not tempted at all.

Love it, save a loaf of bread, eat chocolate!! :D

I knew I'd be outnumbered here. I'm also not a dive in fan so my tastes are different. I'd take a stir fry and a salad over a burger any day.

Heck, I grew up on Smelts for Friday night supper, sardines for snacks, and beef kidneys for Sunday dinner. Bread pudding would have been a big treat but we were sent out to pick an apple off the tree out back. :) I think I have gone to heaven being on these cruises and so does the OP. She's a great resource for information and thanks to her!:)

Awwwww, shucks Thx. I'd rather have the apple then the pudding but no way I'm eating the smelts, sardines or kidneys :D.

Sweetened glue. I think you've described it perfectly:D.

Love the fruit crisps. One night mine was right out of the oven. The only way to wreck it is to put rhubarb in it.

Some of my fondest memories of my Mom's cooking was rhubarb Pie & Plain Ole Bread Pudding with the Vanilla sauce.. :):) Yummy HAL's is ok but not like Mama used to make.. I like Ice cream as well as vanilla sauce on my HAL Bread pudding..

Someone mentioned Kidneys.. Mom also made Kidney stew , which to this day I have to leave the room when I smell it..:eek:

The best bread and butter pudding I ever ate was at a New Year's dinner in, of all places, Thailand. It probably contained an unhealthy amount of cream but it was so good I went back for seconds.

I have since made a few myself and the most successful was made using Italian pannetone bread with the crust trimmed off and a few liqueur soaked cherries plus other mixed, dried fruits. A far cry from the traditional "peasant" recipe for using up old bread.

Now you've all done it! At this very moment I'm craving Bread Pudding & it's no where to be had.. :p I'm on my way to raid the freezer & settle for a chocolate Kit Kat..:D

I file the bread pudding under "not bad, but nothing to write home about." Never tried the crisps so I will have to on my next cruise. Since most desserts on HAL (imho) are disappointing, I usually don't partake and order the cheese plate with a nice glass of port instead.

I knew I'd be outnumbered here. I'm also not a dive in fan so my tastes are different. I'd take a stir fry and a salad over a burger any day.

Stir fry and salad, my favorite lunch on a cruise. The Dive In is ok once a cruise, but I could eat the stir fry and salad every day.

I agree: but now we'll have to split the chocolate AND the stir-fry!

Stir fry and salad, my favorite lunch on a cruise. The Dive In is ok once a cruise, but I could eat the stir fry and salad every day.

I'm glad others feel the same way. As I ate my salad in the lido last week I was thinking how good it tasted. I've been lazy lately at home with everything that has been going on and I've been eating too many frozen dinners.

I love bread pudding, Especially New Orleans style. Like my Grandmother maid.

Sorry to say that the HAL bread pudding is nothing like NOLA style... I've found that it varies quite a bit from one Dam ship to another. Delicious, usually. But it can be anywhere from dreamy souffle to eggy custard, fluffy or soggy bread, richly flavored or just blah. Warm & soft or cold & rubbery.

Part of the fun is making a point to try it on each cruise & compare to last time. They published the recipe a few years ago in the Mariner & it wasn't anything like what I've had sometimes on the ships. Guess it's the cook that makes the magic, not just the ingredients.

I'm glad others feel the same way. As I ate my salad in the lido last week I was thinking how good it tasted. I've been lazy lately at home with everything that has been going on and I've been eating too many frozen dinners.

No, you are not alone. I don't eat bread pudding (not even willing to try) after making it in restaurants for years working my way through two university degrees. I am not a Dive In fan either, nor Cantello (sp?). But that is just me and my taste. I am glad people have lots to choose from so generally we can all find what we like. Otherwise, can you imagine the lines in the Lido if we all wanted the same thing? :eek:

I went to boarding school where bread and butter pudding was one of the stapples... As was soggy sago! So it really isn't something I'd go out of my way for...

DH absolutely loves it though and eats his weight in it each cruise!

No, you are not alone. I don't eat bread pudding (not even willing to try) after making it in restaurants for years working my way through two university degrees. I am not a Dive In fan either, nor Cantello (sp?). But that is just me and my taste. I am glad people have lots to choose from so generally we can all find what we like. Otherwise, can you imagine the lines in the Lido if we all wanted the same thing? :eek:

I've never been a fan of Canaletto but I git talked into going on the Veendam. It was really good and I ended up going 3 times in 2 weeks. I would have never believed it.

It's also known as fruit cobbler or fruit crumble, depending on where you live.