Erosion of Diamond Plus benefits?

I'll go out on a limb and say the whole C&A Tier system should be scrapped....implement something else....but whether you're Gold or D+...who cares? And what are you getting for that large investment to get there....they should give you a free cruise...or points towards one.

I would agree that it should be scrapped or overhauled. From what I have seen here all the loyalty program does is cause animosity and fighting. LOL

Going with the implement something else idea I would say that point accumulation should be based on total spending with RCCL vs. nights sailed. (cabin price, onboard spending, excursions, etc.)

With all the pain surrounding the "new" free internet minutes and how they are used it would seem to work out pretty well for two D+ doing a seven day cruise.

Internet usage suggestion for two D+ on a 7 day trip. Pretty much gets a free week. You will be without internet for only a short period of time

Start package 1 day 2 evening it ends day 4 evening.

Start package 2 day 5 evening it ends day 7 evening.

Adjust as needed.

We have gone back and forth between Royal and Celebrity. When we cruised Celebrity more, their loyalty program was not that great, Royal's was better. Now it appears to be seesawing yet again. But the 2 lines are quite distinct - there are things we prefer on each one. Overall though - Royal has been a better choice for us the last 6 years! Other than Diamonds losing the Concierge Lounge a few years back (right when we made Diamond) the benefits have been fairly consistent. This is just the perfect example of you can't please everyone. Some care about the internet, some about the lounges, some about robes and snack trays. I wouldn't pick a cruise line only for the benefits but for the entire package. For us - price wise, ship wise, perks wise - Royal still wins.

And yeah, we are one of those D+ that don't really frequent the DL because it's usually occupied by complainers gritching about the way things used to be. Change is inevitable.

Going with the implement something else idea I would say that point accumulation should be based on total spending with RCCL vs. nights sailed. (cabin price, onboard spending, excursions, etc.)

Personally I think this makes the most sense. However, if Royal did that wouldn't they be alone? AFAIK the other lines all use either nights or cruises sailed as the basis for their program. Royal is unlikely to take a bold step unless they do so knowing other's will be as well.

Personally I think this makes the most sense. However, if Royal did that wouldn't they be alone? AFAIK the other lines all use either nights or cruises sailed as the basis for their program. Royal is unlikely to take a bold step unless they do so knowing other's will be as well.

I don't think them being different would be an issue. Aren't they the only ones with rock walls, ice skating rinks, etc. on a ship? (and no waterslides until recently) Plus the Quantum class with North Star and the skydiving thingy is definitely a bold step away from everyone else.

With all the pain surrounding the "new" free internet minutes and how they are used it would seem to work out pretty well for two D+ doing a seven day cruise.

Internet usage suggestion for two D+ on a 7 day trip. Pretty much gets a free week. You will be without internet for only a short period of time

Adjust as needed.

Exactly how I would use it, if I ever wanted to. That has not happened yet though

Sure. Their loyalty programs seem to all follow the same basic structure. Who know? I'd love to see points based on dollars spent instead of nights.

That would certainly help the folks who book Grand and Owner's suites.

HAL does a combination of both. Points for nights sailed, plus extra points for onboard spending (I believe it starts at ~$350)

As for loyalty programs, regardless of what people think about RCL's constant changing of perks, it's still the best of all the mass market cruise lines. AFAIK it is the only one that allows reciprocity between brands.

We're Platinum on Disney (their top tier), and other than priority boarding, 30MB of free internet (per cabin) and a single BOGO restaurant discount (one per cabin, not per person), there isn't any loyalty program. Carnival's programs are pretty much worthless (across their brands) as well.

Very upset to see the Diamond and Diamond Plus internet being for a 24 hour period instead of a certain number of minutes. We only get on the internet for maybe 15 minutes a day to check e-mail and make sure family is fine. I don't want to buy a package for a cruise when we don't need those minutes. We don't stay connected 24-7, even on land. Celebrity offers 90 minutes to use as you need to check your e-mail. I understand that there are some people who need to stay connected due to work obligations, but for the rest of us, offer the certain number of minute plans so we don't have to spend a boatload of money for something we don't want or need.

Also I would think that you would want to reward your best customers over your most frequent customers assuming they are not one in the same.

For example, the C&A members who books the E1 with a big balcony discount and then spends virtually nothing on the ship (while sucking down nightly free drinks in the lounge) seems a lot less valuable than the people who spend more onboard than their cruise fare cost.

Can I just say that people complaining about getting 48-hours of internet over 45 minutes...is just insane.

Even if you have to buy it you're getting a better deal and its clear that RCI is making an effort to reach out to a new & younger customer base. I hated the minutes package. It was a ridiculous rip-off and love the new packages that are available.

I read that the airlines are changing rewards from miles flown to also factor in how much you paid for your ticket. Some in Europe already do that and have done it for quite a while now.

I'm sometimes pretty amazed at the level of snobbery I see on these boards. We cruise for the fun, time with family and the time away from work. We're far too busy to worry about free drinks, vouchers, robes or even priority boarding. Really? Some of you people actually stress out over waiting in line like the rest of us riff-raff? Next you'll be asking for elevators reserved for D+ members.

You do know that reverse snobbery is a manifestation of envy. ;)

Very upset to see the Diamond and Diamond Plus internet being for a 24 hour period instead of a certain number of minutes. We only get on the internet for maybe 15 minutes a day to check e-mail and make sure family is fine. I don't want to buy a package for a cruise when we don't need those minutes. We don't stay connected 24-7, even on land. Celebrity offers 90 minutes to use as you need to check your e-mail. I understand that there are some people who need to stay connected due to work obligations, but for the rest of us, offer the certain number of minute plans so we don't have to spend a boatload of money for something we don't want or need.

I didn't think I would like it, but it works out really well if 2 of your are D+ (each of you would get 2 24 hour packages, and you don't have to use them together. You can skip a day or 2.)

If you start your internet on Day 2, it goes for a full 24 hours. So get online when you first start the package, and then the next morning, while you still have the 24 hour plan.

Now you don't have to use your next 24 hour period until you want to. Start it that night, or the next morning, and you have another full 24 hours.

It's really more generous than the 45 minutes we used to get.

If you are both D, you only get the 2 24 hour periods, but you can still check email on 4 days by breaking up the 2 periods. (get on immediately when you start the 1st package, then the next day before your time is up. etc)

I wish I could remember the packages offered. 3 plans come up when you log on, and you pick the one you want to apply your coupon to. I'm guessing that if you just wanted to buy 60 minutes, the concierge would be able to apply the coupon to that.

Edited by marci22

Can I just say that people complaining about getting 48-hours of internet over 45 minutes...is just insane.

Even if you have to buy it you're getting a better deal and its clear that RCI is making an effort to reach out to a new & younger customer base. I hated the minutes package. It was a ridiculous rip-off and love the new packages that are available.

Some people just don't like change

I didn't think I would like it, but it works out really well if 2 of your are D+ (each of you would get 2 24 hour packages, and you don't have to use them together. You can skip a day or 2.)

If you start your internet on Day 2, it goes for a full 24 hours. So get online when you first start the package, and then the next morning, while you still have the 24 hour plan.

Now you don't have to use your next 24 hour period until you want to. Start it that night, or the next morning, and you have another full 24 hours.

It's really more generous than the 45 minutes we used to get.

If you are both D, you only get the 2 24 hour periods, but you can still check email on 4 days by breaking up the 2 periods. (get on immediately when you start the 1st package, then the next day before your time is up. etc)

I wish I could remember the packages offered. 3 plans come up when you log on, and you pick the one you want to apply your coupon to. I'm guessing that if you just wanted to buy 60 minutes, the concierge would be able to apply the coupon to that.

You don't really need it for day one anyway. You can use the cell towers in port until the ship drops lines. And if you are on an eastern itinerary you can use cell towers in San Juan and st Thomas

Adjust as needed.

You could have internet every day if you leave gaps between the 24 hour periods. You have to apply your coupon for each 24 hour period. The next one doesn't start until you apply the coupon again.

I suggest the real issue, at least for me, is that I don't use, nor do I want to use, a lot of internet time while I am on vacation. The system they had in place worked well. I'm sure I'll be able to work with the new system as well. It's a change though, and change, as this thread is discussing, is not always for the better.

I do have one question in regards to this change. We have a 15 night TA next year...is the benefit the same regardless of length? We had a 12 night on Quantum, and I didn't notice any difference in the package, although we were on her before this recent change.

We don't use the internet a lot on vacation either, buy I think the new program sucks! I logged in at 7:00 am one morning to check something and lost rest of the day b/c I did not use it. That stinks. Love the 45 minutes each so if I wanted to check emails I could. The perks keep going down down down. love Royal but we have booked 3 more Celebrity cruise just b/c the price is about the same and you get the free bev pkg.

I love the DL and CL at night, but with the free bev pkg on Celebrity, it makes it a no brainer on what we are choosing. We will never make Pinnacle anyway, so now we look at Royal, Princess and Celebrity and go with the line that gives us the best bang for the buck and the most perks.

But they are already getting extra points for more money spent on the suits. Using suit expense along with number of nights sailed seems to be a pretty good balance to take everyone into account.