Dry Dock Refit Details

cruiseduchess

Vicki, that's the way I read it. Not so much of an inconvenience for Helen and I as we eat outside maybe once or twice a cruise. Looks like that may be replaced by a visit to the new restaurant (if the weather is ok). Of more concern is the reduction in the number of tables out there which will double as a breakfast and lunch venue. That is such a popular spot and it can be difficult as it is to get a seat there. Now it will be even more of a challenge.

Have to say I love the look of the new decor. From the picture of the balcony cabin bathroom it looks like they reversed it so the shower cubicle is more square.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Azamara is the only ship where I willingly go to the buffet in the evening - a bowl of 'bespoke' stirfry and a cold glass of wine is perfect, so sitting at the Sunset Bar watching the wake is one of my favourite places on the ship. Some cruises we eat there every night!

Sad to see this go.

:(

Edited by little britain

Vicki, that's the way I read it. Not so much of an inconvenience for Helen and I as we eat outside maybe once or twice a cruise. Looks like that may be replaced by a visit to the new restaurant (if the weather is ok). Of more concern is the reduction in the number of tables out there which will double as a breakfast and lunch venue. That is such a popular spot and it can be difficult as it is to get a seat there. Now it will be even more of a challenge.

Have to say I love the look of the new decor. From the picture of the balcony cabin bathroom it looks like they reversed it so the shower cubicle is more square.

Phil

Agree it will be even more of a challenge at breakfast and lunch and we ALAWYS eat there even in inclement weather.

Afraid this is a deal breaker for us, this venture will spoil our onboard experience so we shall look elsewhere. We were about to book the Seychelles and Maldive 2017 cruise but glad we didn't.

Regards to Helen

Vicki

Azamara is the only ship where I willingly go to the buffet in the evening - a bowl of 'bespoke' stirfry and a cold glass of wine is perfect, so sitting at the Sunset Bar watching the wake is one of my favourite places on the ship. Some cruises we eat there every night!

Sad to see this go.

Agree 100%

Loving the new stateroom decor, bedding looks great and the bathroom is so much better. The other impressions of the ships look just as good, modern, yet warm and welcoming just like the Azamara crew.

How many covers will the outdoor eating area (previous Sunset Bar) have for breakfast and lunch. It looks stunning. Nice to have the grill area done up too as it did look a bit drab and characterless.

Can't wait until we sail on Journey in December 2016, only 555 days til we sail!

Hope they keep their drydock dates and promises to do all the planned work this time!

Cabins look lovely and fresh (but what is going on with the carpet?). Looks like something's been spilled on it:(.

Like the idea of Asian restaurant, but would have preferred it if it was situated at the grill, and the sunset bar was kept much as it is at the moment. It's our favourite part of the ship. Love having a relaxing drink and a bite to eat from the buffet out there. :)

Interesting that the USA Today artical has more detail than the Azamara web site! However looking at the details we do have, we are happy to see the addition of a Pan Asian restaurant something we were talking with staff about on our April Quest cruise but not sure that locating it in the Sunset Bar area is right just from a weather point of view, we have been on quite a few "hot" cruises where it was far too cold to sit out there in the evenings without a blanket so agree that an upgraded Pool Grill location may have been more practical. On the plus side looking at the revised seating proposed in that area and assuming board side will be equal there will be seating for 76 passengers out there more I feel than now probably due to the use of what appears to be much smaller tables and improved bar area.

Revised CC suites look nice and modern but two things worry us firstly it looks like there is a lack of comfortable seating with the removal of the settee and although ascetically the bathroom looks great it looks as if we lose the bath tub.

Of great personal concern is the amount of work that will have to be done in the 2 weeks allowed for dry dock, we are on Journeys first cruise post the scheduled dry dock, with flights and hotels booked and paid for any changes to this cruise will impact us greatly.

hmmmm. I do like the updated look but there are a couple of things that bother me. In the standard veranda cabin (our usual booking) the new sofa looks terribly uncomfortable. No way to stretch out on it with those high straight sides. I'm also disappointed that the Sunset Bar area will be transformed into a specialty restaurant (although perhaps during the day it will be open for breakfast and lunch seating.)

It seems to me that much of the updating is in the revenue producing areas. A new specialty restaurant and an expansion of the spa. Oh well. With the massive increase in prices on Azamara, I suspect we'll be doing a lot more comparison shopping with other lines.

Phil

Yes totally agree - and that's from one who goes onboard Azamara to get away from Asian food!

Like the shower remodels,my only sadness is my two Christmas cruises are before the refit!

My husband and I enjoyed our first Azamara cruise on Quest last year after cruising many times with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

We loved everything about our Azamara cruise experience from the ship to the excellent staff and service on board and also the Azamazing evening and white night party. One of the most memorable pleasures we enjoyed on board was dining outside on the back of the ship in the evening watching the sunset together with the wonderful themed buffets and delicious food.

It was one of the main factors that persuaded us to take another Azamara cruise on Journey this August.

Having read about the planned re-fit onboard the ships, although everything sounds and looks amazing i.e. the cabins etc. my husband and I will be most disappointed if you are no longer able to dine outside at the sunset bar in the evening and enjoy the wonderful themed buffets if this is replaced with a pay for Asian restaurant.

I agree with others that this would have been better situated where the pool grill is and leave the back of the ship sunset bar as it is with the themed buffets and the choice of eating at a table on the back of the ship outside enjoying the wonderful views and sunset.

Interesting that the USA Today artical has more detail than the Azamara web site!

Hi Riocca,

Agreed. I dont get that either. You would think Azamara would opt to be the very first to share the details of the Drydock with their guests. I can only presume that Azamara, like any other cruise line, has favorite reporters/news outlets, and USA Today must be their go to media outlet.

If it were my call, I would have given their loyal guests the scoop first, but I will defer to their expertise.

Getting back on topic, I'm excited about Azamara's plans for Journey and Quest. About the only thing I do not like, is the square sinks in the suites. They usually splash water everywhere ! While I will miss the evening buffet in the evening, I like the Asian eatery concept very much, and look forward to experiencing it, in the future.

Looking forward to hearing additional details in the coming weeks and months.

Edited by Host Andy

From the photos the upgrades look good, particularly the bathrooms which are greatly in need of improvement, but as I have previously posted I am very much against the Windows Terrace/Sunset Bar being turned into an Asian restaurant with cover charge in the evenings. Weather conditions can be very fickle, so is this really practical? I would hate to have booked to sit outside only to find that on that particular evening there was a cool breeze and I was cold throughout my meal. Also as others have pointed out, it looks as though the number of tables have been reduced so less outdoor spaces for breakfast and lunch. For me, eating outside made Azamara special. If that feature is no longer available and prices continue to increase, I may have to review my plans for next year.

Edited by Marmaduke

My husband and I enjoyed our first Azamara cruise on Quest last year after cruising many times with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

We loved everything about our Azamara cruise experience from the ship to the excellent staff and service on board and also the Azamazing evening and white night party. One of the most memorable pleasures we enjoyed on board was dining outside on the back of the ship in the evening watching the sunset together with the wonderful themed buffets and delicious food.

It was one of the main factors that persuaded us to take another Azamara cruise on Journey this August.

Having read about the planned re-fit onboard the ships, although everything sounds and looks amazing i.e. the cabins etc. my husband and I will be most disappointed if you are no longer able to dine outside at the sunset bar in the evening and enjoy the wonderful themed buffets if this is replaced with a pay for Asian restaurant.

I agree with others that this would have been better situated where the pool grill is and leave the back of the ship sunset bar as it is with the themed buffets and the choice of eating at a table on the back of the ship outside enjoying the wonderful views and sunset.

Sad to see this go.

We couldn't agree more. And this area is very weather/wind dependant so it will be interesting to see how it works in practice.

The new décor looks great. Also an enhanced evening Grill experience, similar to Oceania, will be very welcome if that's what's planned.

Of great personal concern is the amount of work that will have to be done in the 2 weeks allowed for dry dock, we are on Journeys first cruise post the scheduled dry dock, with flights and hotels booked and paid for any changes to this cruise will impact us greatly.

Hi Riocca,

I hear you. This seems like a great deal of work to do in 2 weeks. IMO, Azamara's going to need a brilliant execution plan, and some luck on their side, for everything to go smoothly. Perhaps they will start some work on the sailing prior to the Drydock. On the bright side, RCCL appears to be highly involved on the process, so there's plenty of reason to be optimistic.

I hope your sailing is not impacted. We're considering the same sailing as well.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the part in the article relating to possible new ships for this brand. With demand and prices going up and Viking Ocean and Oceania growing, it appears that Azamara might expand.

As a new Azamara cruiser next July, I am excited that the ships will have a "new" feel to them, but I can also understand how changes can negatively impact those who lose things that made the ships special to them. When Princess decided to shrink balcony sizes, eliminate a couple of pools, a favorite club, and the central staircase on their ships, I was more than annoyed. Four of our last six cruises were on Princess and we have nothing lined with them in the future and I might even cash in my future cruise credits. I hope this doesn't reach that level for many here who will miss those nice outdoor casual dinners.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the part in the article relating to possible new ships for this brand. With demand and prices going up and Viking Ocean and Oceania growing, it appears that Azamara might expand.

Good spot. It's right at the end of the article and I got waylaid by the photos. I've been saying for a while that a new ship announcement or two will be sooner rather than later. This looks very positive.

Phil

The renderings of the refit are definitely beautiful! I'm sure we will enjoy everything Azamara is doing to upgrade the ship overall, BUT to see the changes in the Sunset Bar area that will benefit only some passengers, and actually be a detriment to so many others, is really a disappointment! :(I love cruising and I love the Azamara"experience" and I will continue to enjoy it, but it's sad to lose this important aspect.

Like I(and many others)have previously posted, why take such a special place on the ship where all could enjoy and reduce the access to only a few guests?The reduction in seating is also an issue for the time it is open(hopefully it is open to everyone outside of the dinner hours?); plus the loss of sunset dinners for the majority of us who look forward to this experience.(we used it 75% of the time, but now probably only one time as a specialty restaurant) This ship is just not large enough to remove such a special place, since there is no place else to accommodate the majority in that way.

Does anyone know where the idea and input came from? Was there a passenger panel involved? I met Mr Larry Pimentel when he first cruised on the Journey after becoming the CEO. He was so sincere in his desire to make this line something "real" people wanted! He held focus groups onboard, and wanted to actually talk to those who used the facilities, etc. He also contacted me after we cruised for input and follow-up. I truly believe he would listen, so this choice makes me wonder how it came about.

I apologize for the length of this, but thanx for your time in listening!:)

Like the ideas but the devil is in the detail.

1: Not sure if I would want to eat at night at the bar as artists impression or is it actually going to be overlooking the cooks area rather like eating in Chefs kitchen.

2: Looks like a drastic reduction in seats for breakfast and lunches outside.

We used to love a drink out there either before dinner or even as buffet area.

Looks like it will be closed from 2.00pm (end of lunch service ) to reset.

3:Is that cooks area or just bar service area because if latter then you have lost 20 spaces probably.

If so then where do you serve drinks? from Pool bar at other end of ship.

Great for mid summer but April /May and August/October in both Med and Baltic can be cold by 8.00pm.

Better by far to utilise pool grill as this is a wasted area at night (except White night) and is outdoors but more sheltered.

4: will the rest of Windows be open at night as presently with it's choice of varied dining cuisine indian etc..

Does anyone know where the idea and input came from? Was there a passenger panel involved? I met Mr Larry Pimentel when he first cruised on the Journey after becoming the CEO. He was so sincere in his desire to make this line something "real" people wanted! He held focus groups onboard, and wanted to actually talk to those who used the facilities, etc. He also contacted me after we cruised for input and follow-up. I truly believe he would listen, so this choice makes me wonder how it came about.

The thing about focus groups and listening tours is that you will always get enough opinions on both sides to justify whichever decision you ultimately make. We are hearing from people here who enjoyed the Sunset Bar in its existing configuration, but there may have been an equal number who told Larry they never use it and would prefer the new Asian restaurant to take its place.

Wow!!!! So excited to see these renderings. I was really hopeful that Azamara would head in this modern direction, as while I loved my first cruise with them, everything just looked like a retirement home. I have been considering switching my bookings over to Seabourn, but will definitely stick with Azamara now. Super excited for my June 2016 cruise. I'm really excited to read more and see pics in the coming months.

Michael

The thing about focus groups and listening tours is that you will always get enough opinions on both sides to justify whichever decision you ultimately make. We are hearing from people here who enjoyed the Sunset Bar in its existing configuration, but there may have been an equal number who told Larry they never use it and would prefer the new Asian restaurant to take its place.

again i am very excited about this new space. .will be eating there a lot at sea.. I think there are more seats than the drawing shows.. also i love watching people cook so this is great.. i am sure you will be able to go out there and have a drink before or after dinner just like you do in Prime C.

Edited by ellbon

Thanx for the response. I assumed he(Larry) must have asked for passenger input, and just received the majority"other side of the coin" responses. He just seems like a person who wouldn't make unilateral decisions about customer convenience and needs without their input! Oh well, I'm still disappointed but I know I'll still enjoy the cruises:)

The renderings of the refit are definitely beautiful! I'm sure we will enjoy everything Azamara is doing to upgrade the ship overall, BUT to see the changes in the Sunset Bar area that will benefit only some passengers, and actually be a detriment to so many others, is really a disappointment! :(I love cruising and I love the Azamara"experience" and I will continue to enjoy it, but it's sad to lose this important aspect.

Like I(and many others)have previously posted, why take such a special place on the ship where all could enjoy and reduce the access to only a few guests?The reduction in seating is also an issue for the time it is open(hopefully it is open to everyone outside of the dinner hours?); plus the loss of sunset dinners for the majority of us who look forward to this experience.(we used it 75% of the time, but now probably only one time as a specialty restaurant) This ship is just not large enough to remove such a special place, since there is no place else to accommodate the majority in that way.

QUOTE]

Totally agree! I love the new look of the cabins and think the upgrades to other areas will be lovely, but am so disappointed with what is happening to the Sunset Bar. For us, one of the highlights of the day is being able to sit outside and have a leisurely drink and meal, in fact we probably eat out there about 80% of the time. To not be able to enjoy that area for dinner any longer is a huge loss for us.

If you read back through the Azamara reviews it is clear that many people enjoy the Sunset Bar immensely and I think there will be a lot of others who are disappointed with this decision.