May I ask this?

cruisetolose

I will echo others' comments - we are sad to see you get scammed like this and very much hope that you can resolve the legal issues, the money involved, and the short-term schedule to take a celebratory cruise. :mad:

Earlier in the thread someone commented something like "Rule number one with travel agents - payment goes to the cruise line, not the travel agent!" or something like that. Your experience and the discussion here has provided me some cautionary lessons, but I am left wondering: where is the listing of rules of how to deal with travel agents and what to watch out for? Seriously. As an inexperienced trusting relatively naive consumer, is there a place someone like me can go to to find the list of rules?

Thanks for sharing your story and best of luck in getting the issues resolved!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. In the future when booking any trip with a travel agent keep in mind that you should never pay directly to the agent and use a credit card not cash or check. Ask the travel agent if they have any added fees such as a fee to adjust the price should the price drop, or to change a dining preference or room category. Also know that some of those booking engines that compare prices for hotels and airfare that payment is made to them. I usually get a rate and call the hotel or airlines directly. Sometimes I get a better rate from the hotel or airlines or I get the same rate as on the website. At this point it may be wise to book directly with the Cruise line and then search for a travels agent who can offer you on board credit or some perk. Celebrity allows you 60 or 90 days to transfer your booking. I don't remember the length of time because I have never used a travel agent. I would rather have control over my booking then leave it up to a TA who has many clients and doesn't have my best interest at heart, just to receive a few dollars in on board credit. I also had a bad experience with a TA. She never contacted me to make final payment. I was in the dentist office when I received an alert on my phone that final payment was due. Had I not set up that alert my cruise would have been canceled. I have called Celebrity a few times already to make changes to my booking. The changes were mostly due to what I learned on cruise critic about rooms, locations, balcony sizes and I also called to get a $200 price adjustment when Celebrity was running a sale. I wouldn't expect a travel agent to be on top of that plus it cuts into their commission. I called Celebrity after midnight eastern time to get that price adjustment. I wouldn't dream of contacting a travel agent at that time. There are pros and cons to both using a travel agent and booking on your own. The important thing which you have learned is to always follow up when using a travel agent and to get confirmation and a booking number. Your experience has taught me that if I ever do use a travel agent to call Celebrity directly and confirm that they have my reservation.

Once again so sorry for your loss.

Make sure you have your paperwork passport and picture ID, Enjoy your cruise, it leaves tomorrow, friend is on it and it has not been canceled. Report your travel agent to Celebrity and put their behavior on social media when you get back but for now, have a great cruise

Make sure you have your paperwork passport and picture ID, Enjoy your cruise, it leaves tomorrow, friend is on it and it has not been canceled. Report your travel agent to Celebrity and put their behavior on social media when you get back but for now, have a great cruise

Am I missing something?

The OP lost their cruise because of this TA. Unless they have the funds and can put a new cruise on a credit card (AMEX), they are not cruising tomorrow. The other issue is finding an available stateroom or two.

I hope cruisetolose is reading off line and see's our post about calling Celebrity for last minute availability. I made my post last night at 11:52. cruisetolose had already signed off at 11:36. :( ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Scheduled to board the Celebrity Summit/Bermuda on June 14th and my travel agent has been telling me since June 3rd that the ship has a flu/virus outbreak and would we like to cancel? The ship left yesterday for Bermuda and now travel agent is telling me they may cancel next cruise (the one we are on).

I cannot find out any info. Was anyone on the week of June 1st cruise and know of illness? Are these types of discussions allowed or edited?

Thanks for any info possible.

I have a friend who was on the Summit last week and another friend who is on it now.....no word of any problems!!!! ENJOY

Have what paperwork?:eek:.....unless I am missing something too, the

original poster is not cruising tomorrow.

To the original poster, I also want to say how sorry I am about the

entire event:(.....I see you had originally said some folks in the family

knew this person for 50 years?:eek:....I wonder how many other folks over

that time had also been scammed......:confused: Really feel bad for you and

your family.

And as for checks/credit cards, always use a CC for travel.

Huh???? Did you not see Post #60 from the OP? They will NOT be on this cruise due to the mishandling by their TA.

OP - I hope you are able to obtain all the $$ you have coming to you. How unfortunate to have your TA scam you like this.

To the OP: thank you for coming back and giving us the details on what happened. So sorry to hear that this unethical person cost your family their long-awaited vacation. I hope that you are able to get your money back, or at least make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I really hope that this whole experience hasn't put you off cruising for good. There are many good TA's out there -- try to find one who specializes in cruises. And, of course, many folks handle their own bookings, with few or no problems. Best of luck to you in the future, regardless.

I am so sorry this happened. It brought back almost forgotten memories of a scam artist in Baltimore who did similar tricks selling cruises about 30 years ago until he got caught.

I guess it's not permitted to post your guy's name, but you are probably right that he has been running a little Ponzi scheme with deposits for quite a while. And so, unless he is in jail, will do it again. Hope there will be away you can warn others somehow.

Isn't it sad and ironic that some very clever people invest their skill into scamming when they could succeed applying the same energy toward honest pursuits?

Have what paperwork?:eek:.....unless I am missing something too, the

original poster is not cruising tomorrow.

I think that some new posters are joining this thread without reading more than the first few post and answering the question of illness onboard. Others are jumping in at the end offering advice that has already been given about TA's, credit cards, etc. :rolleyes:

I think the OP now knows that a mistake was made in the choice of their TA and choice of payment. ;)

Sad story....esp that they report it was someone they knew for yrs and did business with before on a personal basis.....hope they do pursue criminal charges and civil suit if money not returned already.. No excuse for doing this!

........I see you had originally said some folks in the family

knew this person for 50 years?:eek:....I wonder how many other folks over

that time had also been scammed......

.....another Bernie Madoff :eek:

Even worse to be ripped off by someone you know and trust than by a total stranger.

Am I missing something?

The OP lost their cruise because of this TA. Unless they have the funds and can put a new cruise on a credit card (AMEX), they are not cruising tomorrow. The other issue is finding an available stateroom or two.

I hope cruisetolose is reading off line and see's our post about calling Celebrity for last minute availability. I made my post last night at 11:52. cruisetolose had already signed off at 11:36. :( ;)

Nope, you aren't the poster who missed something. :p

Nope, you aren't the poster who missed something. :p

:cool::D:cool:

Today is the 14th. I am hoping that the reason the OP has not come back again to address our latest comments is because he/she was busy with the graduation and getting the family ready for a last minute cruise. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Today is the 14th. I am hoping that the reason the OP has not come back again to address our latest comments is because he/she was busy with the graduation and getting the family ready for a last minute cruise. ;)

That's a big LIKE!

Oh, I so, so, so hope this is the case. What a total sin for this to happen and compounded with the fact that they have used this TA several times and is known by the family!!!!

Sadly, TAs like this get remembered for what they did by their communities and on forums such as this but the hundreds or thousands that do a good, honest job have their reputations tarnished with actions such as this.

Big hugs to the OP ((hug)) - hope you do get to cruise or at least get your $$ back soon. Don't let him/her away with what they did - keep the pressure on and get the word out there in your local community.

Thanks again to everyone for their comments & advice. Yes we were swindled by our TA and will not be aboard the Summit on June 14th. Tomorrow my daughter graduates from college and we were to bring her home and be off on Sunday. She starts grad school on June 22, so this was our only window for a family escape...

Was hoping to hear back from the OP today that they WERE able to find that stateroom and take their cruise. ;)