Cabin Hacks

Oasis and Allure don't have drawers in the night stands--just two little shelves. I've been bringing a few Skubb boxes from IKEA. You get a set of six, assorted sizes, for less that $10. They unzip, so can be packed flat. I bring about three and use one on the vanity/desk area to corral our chargers, post-it notes, etc.

Bully for you folks who travel light! Some of us don't have that packing light gene!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use ebags and have for years. Tried Packing Folders recently & I actually like them better. They hold more & take up less space... Even the hubs' dress shirts come out without wrinkles! [ATTACH]351926[/ATTACH]

I tried a folder, and it didn't work well for my husband's clothes. He wears large and tall, and the folder just isn't wide enough.

I use a closet hanging shoe holder, something sort of like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Configurations-Organizer-20-Pocket-FG3F20DWNATUR/dp/B000JF5R3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434068981&sr=8-1&keywords=Rubbermaid+Configurations+Shoe+Organizer&pebp=1434068990342&perid=7A1511352702408C9A1C

I like that this one can be used either hanging in a closet or hanging on a door.

I just bought the UPPTÄCKA

Packing bag, set of 4, pink

From ikea. Comes in blue also.

8.00 for 4 bags, look very nice and good zippers.

I do not think you can go wrong for this price.

Hey!!! That's our cabin on the Serenade in March!! How'd ya like it? We had 1100 on her in Jan...

Loved loved loved that cabin!! :)

Before the cruise I was constantly checking to see if 9256 was available which is directly above 8168 and below 1100 but after being in 8168 it would now be my 1st choice. It is a little closer to the water. Views were awesome from 8168.

In my opinion, 8168 = best cabin on a Radiance class ship. :)

So, I've been seeing on here about people using packing cubes to save space. How does adding more material to your suitcase save space :confused: I'm seriously asking because I know nothing about packing cubes. Now, granted, it DOES make the suitcase look more organized but they just seem like they would use up space.

The only thing I have found very useful is something like this that happily handles all our phones, cameras and other electronics with USB connectors from one power outlet and saves taking the mains plug (and adapter as I'm from the UK) for each device:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Sized-Desktop-Charger-Technology-Motorola/dp/B00PK1IIJY

So, I've been seeing on here about people using packing cubes to save space. How does adding more material to your suitcase save space :confused: I'm seriously asking because I know nothing about packing cubes. Now, granted, it DOES make the suitcase look more organized but they just seem like they would use up space.

It's amazing but if you use them well you can get more stuff in your suitcase. Do a YouTube search on "how to' videos.

Before the cruise I was constantly checking to see if 9256 was available which is directly above 8168 and below 1100 but after being in 8168 it would now be my 1st choice. It is a little closer to the water. Views were awesome from 8168.

We have 1556 on Serenade in 2017. I was kinda thinking that might be the best cabin on the ship.

YMMV

I like the little Ikea Skubb boxes for small things. Sunglasses, pens, my camera when I'm not using it, etc etc. Containment. If everything goes in those boxes, then I don't have to search for things when it comes time to use them or pack them up. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50300275/#/70300279) And they are zippered on the bottom, so they fold flat for packing then cube-up easily for using.

That hint just cost me $19.07! I researched the boxes and decided they were exactly what I need. One for makeup, one for paperwork, and one to keep my SO's stuff together. I use my hairdryer while sitting at the desk/vanity, so I can easily move the boxes to keep all those little things from blowing onto the floor. Thanks for the tip.

I have wondered that too. Also has to add weight - even if not much. I use ziplock bags for some things but just pack clothing the "normal" way. Please explain more!

Awesome! Thank you for sharing! Like I said we had 1100 in Jan. It is a Jr Suite. The balcony is huge... But not much privacy as people can see about 50% of it from the outdoor Windjammer Cafe above. Also heard some chair noise in the mornings. The cabins below us looked a little more private from above. I am waitlisted for 9256 for this upcoming cruise in March, but from your review... I will be perfectly happy with 8168!

That hint just cost me $19.07! I researched the boxes and decided they were exactly what I need. One for makeup, one for paperwork, and one to keep my SO's stuff together. I use my hairdryer while sitting at the desk/vanity, so I can easily move the boxes to keep all those little things from blowing onto the floor. Thanks for the tip.

I just use the vanity drawers for all those items... I do my hair & makeup at the vanity. And place the paperwork on a shelf over the TV....

I have wondered that too. Also has to add weight - even if not much. I use ziplock bags for some things but just pack clothing the "normal" way. Please explain more!

The packing cubes (if packed properly) can hold a ton of stuff... Roll all your clothes, pack them in tightly. That keeps them in place & nothing shifts... which causes wrinkles. If you pack them according to items... ie: my undergarments in one, his in another... My Swim suits in one, his in another... And so on... When you arrive in your cabin, just grab the little handle on the packing cube, throw the whole thing in a drawer or on a shelf... No unpacking needed. Of course shirts, pants, dresses, etc would need to be unpacked & hung up...

Also the coolest aspect to me is while you are packing your luggage, sometimes (most times for me), you have to pack & unpack it to make it all fit or asjust for weight (if flying)... If all your clothing is in cubes... Again... Just grab the handle & take out... Move to another case or adjust to make it fit better. So much easier than repacking the whole thing one item at a time.

BTW... Packing cubes weigh nothing. Mesh & nylon material.

Hope that helps...

All of this stuff that people are recommending does take up some space and weight, especially if you buy one of every recommended item in this thread. You need to decide what makes the most sense for you.

The packing cubes are helpful in allowing you to roll things tight and organizing your luggage. You can fit more things in smaller space but then you can also bring more and go over your 50 lb weight allowance if you aren't careful.

The biggest benefit I have found is that the packing cubes keep your clothes from shifting in the suitcase and wrinkling. You can pack things tighter within the suitcase itself and use the space better.

Do what works best for you, if you have your packing style that works for you, stick with it. We use some packing cubes, some ziploc bags and some chaos, that works well for us. I don't buy into the do laundry in your sink mentality, I bring everything I want and really don't care how many bags I bring. If someone wants to pack in just a carryon and do laundry every night, have at it, I will meet you in the Schooner bar when you are done.;):D

Let's use my husband's shirts as an example. He wears a 3xlt shirt, and a size 50 jacket. So his shirts are wide and extra long. The large packing cube weights about 6 oz, but I can fold and get 8-10 of his shirts in one. It sits in the suitcase like a nice flat "platform", keeps his shirts in place with less wrinkles, and I actually have more space to pack other things.

I am very conscious of weight, so I will frequently use our handheld luggage scale and weigh our clothes on the hangers, then subtract the weight for the number of hangers, so I know how we are doing with the luggage weight.

My main reason for liking the packing cubes, your slacks for example are in one area, merely unzip and pull our the pair you wish rather then digging thru the suitcase to find the ones you want, are on the bottom. We also use the luggage scales to double check the weight. We have found no measureable differance using packing cubes & the suitcase is packed neater and if checked at the airport they can unzip to individual cubes rather then rearranging your suitcase.

Why not just pack the dirty clothes as they come off? Makes it sooooooo much easier on the last night if you've been packing along the way.

That's exactly what we do. We keep the suitcases under the bed (as another poster suggested), slide one out and throw the dirty clothes in at the end of the night. When one suitcase is full, we start on another one. No packing at all the last night...

Since we cruise mostly 2 weeks, we would run out of clothes if we didn't do some washing along the way, however in that final week instead of spending the $$ to have clean clothes to pack we could store them away as previously mentioned.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

If you spring for a first class ticket, you can check three 70-pound bags without paying anything extra (other than the extra you paid for the first class seat). Plus you still get a carry-on bag for the overhead bin, plus a personal item (purse, backpack, laptop bag, etc.) to put under the seat in front of you.

I may or may not be using my first-class ticket as an excuse to overpack.... :o

We have 1556 on Serenade in 2017. I was kinda thinking that might be the best cabin on the ship.

YMMV

Not even close.

You have a giant piano in the room with you. Haven't you seen The Poseidon Adventure? If a huge rogue wave shows up you don't want a piano to go flying around in your room causing all kinds of issues. :)

Not to mention that it on the starboard side of the ship. All the cool people are in port side cabins. :)

View is terrible. You cannot even see the wake. :)

Terrible cabin. :)

Awesome! Thank you for sharing! Like I said we had 1100 in Jan. It is a Jr Suite. The balcony is huge... But not much privacy as people can see about 50% of it from the outdoor Windjammer Cafe above. Also heard some chair noise in the mornings. The cabins below us looked a little more private from above. I am waitlisted for 9256 for this upcoming cruise in March, but from your review... I will be perfectly happy with 8168!

How do you waitlist for a cabin? Through your TA or through RCCL?

Privacy was of no concern to me but I didn't have any real issues.