Cabin Hacks

Storage in the bathroom is extremely limited.

Check the dollar stores for a mesh shower organizer. It has a hook that you can hang on the shower grab bar or elsewhere in the shower. It is good for the various bottles, razors, etc that one uses in the shower.

We use the desk drawers for dirty clothes.

Embarrassing note - if the cabin becomes too messy the room steward will tidy it up. We really did not try to create such clutter. Now we tidy up before going out.

Took the over the door thing nice, but didn't get much value out of it. Throw my dirty laundry in the empty suitcase under the bed, and there's always been ample storage for me. The couch does seem to collect stuff but I'm on holidays, so it doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For any travel I bring an empty (cloth) laundry bag. Then we all throw our dirty stuff in it and we easily know what is clean and what is dirty.

I use the same techniques every week as I travel- pack in zip lock bags. Toiletries are separated by liquids for TSA inspection and make- up. Easy to unpack as underclothes, pajamas and exercise clothes stay in the bag so they lay easily in the closet shelf. Dirty clothes go into one suitcase as the week progresses. All of this in the 22" roller board that we pack in (one each). I need my room to always be tidy so keeping everything out of sight is important to me.

Also, use one (or two) zip lock bags marked for dirty clothes. And, if you use the zip lock bags, it keeps your clothes fresher and cleaner. No worries about packing your shoes next to your nice clothes. We always use grocery store bags to put our shoes in. Keeps the sand out of the bag too. And the zip locks are great since sometimes your shampoo etc may pop open while in flight due to the pressure change. Then you don't have to worry about liquids going everywhere.

DH and I travel with a lot of toiletries for a variety of reasons. We each have an over-the-door toiletries case; his is LLBean and mine Vera Bradley. They're travel cases, so we don't need to pack another case. In addition, I carry a small leather train case for body lotion, hair mousse and spray, etc. That goes on the shelf under the sink with the bottles stored inside. Only the tooth brushes and the few items we share, like tooth paste and mouthwash, and medications are on the shelves. My makeup is in a zipper case that fits in the fold-up case and that lives in the center drawer of the desk because that's where I prefer to use it.

We take a garbage bag for dirty clothes and just put it in the suitcase when we repack. I prefer not to put clean clothes in a suitcase that held dirty underwear, but that's just one of my peccadillos.

I understand the challenge of travelling with teenagers. Sherman left Atlanta in better shape than the rooms my Girl Scouts were in when we did troop trips. Utter chaos and then everything comes to a screeching halt while they try to find something they need before they leave the room.

Embarrassing note - if the cabin becomes too messy the room steward will tidy it up. We really did not try to create such clutter. Now we tidy up before going out.

Gross!!! :eek:

Memo to self: use Lysol wipes on drawers before using.

I bring a big garbage bag for my dirty laundry and I use it to line an open suitcase in the bottom of the closet. Easy to toss dirty clothes into during the cruise and to close up all packed for trip home.

~ Judy

We also pack garbage bags for dirty laundry which we keep in the suitcase. I pack all toiletries in zip lock bags after an unfortunate incident with toothpaste lets just say my luggage smelled minty fresh on the trip home.:D:eek:

If you aren't sure about magnetic hooks, get the suction cup variety. They take up no space and don't weigh anything, and they stick to many different surfaces. We use them for baseball caps and as someone else noted, for hanging wet bathing suits.

We've never had the need for any additional storage solutions. We do bring a collapsible hamper for dirty clothes, but otherwise, there is a place for everything. Our room is always neat. Everytime I walk by a cabin with crap piled everywhere, it amazes me. And I'm not just talking people traveling with kids. I've seen some pretty amazing messes and can't figure out how the steward is able to clean.

from bath section of any store - suction cup container so I can put my shampoo/conditioner/body wash in it in shower. A small basket that fits in my suitcase to put on shelf under sink and I put contact case/solution/glasses, combs, deodorant in it. I can put it by sink when getting ready, then tuck it away when done.

A couple of power strips.

nothing more - found PLENTY of room on Freedom 2 years ago! (then again, I pack very little....

Gross!!! :eek:

Memo to self: use Lysol wipes on drawers before using.

I bring a big garbage bag for my dirty laundry and I use it to line an open suitcase in the bottom of the closet. Easy to toss dirty clothes into during the cruise and to close up all packed for trip home.

~ Judy

Do you also Lysol the shelves or drawers in the robe, peopkle put dirty clothes there too you know.

We just put an open suitcase under the bed. Pull it out a few inches and put the dirty stuff there, then push it under again.

Back when I was in 6th grade and we took a cruise on the SS Emerald Seas (they had a kids sail free special or something - and we were in a porthole cabin with my parents on the bottom twin beds and my sister and I on the pull-down bunks), we went to dinner the first night and came back to find three of our beds turned down. Dad's was not - he had left his socks on the bed, and the steward left his bed as-was. We still tease him about that - but he never made that mistake again!

I'm going on my first RCCL cruise this month and have been researching hacks to make best use of the limited space onboard. I have read about the magnetic hooks which I plan to bring. I have also read that some cruiseships don't allow the over-the-door shoe organizer for the bathroom. Has anyone done this on RCCL? It's a great idea if it's allowed. Also, if you have any other tips I'd love to hear them! Thanks!!!! :)

I take my over the door shoe organizer for the bathroom door on every cruise and believe me every slot is full. I also use the collapsible laundry hamper for dirty clothes - put it in the closet. The walls are magnetic so I use the big industrial magnets for all the paper products we get every night. We travel with a group of friends and we all use a magnetic white board for the outside of our cabin doors to leave each other notes ($1 at the Dollar Store). :D

We take a garbage bag for dirty clothes and just put it in the suitcase when we repack. I prefer not to put clean clothes in a suitcase that held dirty underwear, but that's just one of my peccadillo.

We take several kitchen trash bags and sort as we go....whites, lights and darks, keeping them in the closet for easy access, then pack each bag in suitcases. Really helps with doing laundry when we get home...wash one bag at a time. After pulling out the dirty laundry bags, the rest can be put away rather quickly. Used to take us days and days to sift through suitcases, separating dirty, clean, toiletries, shoes, etc.....now we can unpack from a two week cruise in less than 30 minutes. Ahhhh :)

I'm going on my first RCCL cruise this month and have been researching hacks to make best use of the limited space onboard. I have read about the magnetic hooks which I plan to bring. I have also read that some cruiseships don't allow the over-the-door shoe organizer for the bathroom. Has anyone done this on RCCL? It's a great idea if it's allowed. Also, if you have any other tips I'd love to hear them! Thanks!!!! :)

WE take an over the door shoe holder on all of our Royal Cruises. We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door. Great for sunglasses, sunscreen, even slippers.

Never had a complaint.

The over-the-door organizer is hit-or-miss as to functionality... it just depends on how much "stuff" you have and how you like to be able to access it.

I like it for several reasons, and I take it on land-based vacations for these same reasons:

1. I'm traveling with my DS in the same room. Being a teen, he sometimes takes REALLY long showers. Having many of the toiletries items hanging on the outside of the bathroom door means I can still be getting stuff done in the bedroom while he's ensconced in the bathroom.

2. I have long, curly hair. LOTS of long, curly hair. LOTS AND LOTS of long, curly hair. I have a vast variety of special brushes, combs, ponytail holders, claw clips, barrettes, and hairsticks in a multitude of shapes / sizes / colors. It's so much easier to have them all separated out in see-through pockets rather than rummaging through a jumbled drawer to find what I'm looking for.

3. The hair mentioned in #2 requires a certain amount of products/potions. The see-through pockets make it easy to find exactly the product I'm looking for at any given time, no fumbling required.

4. I'm a redhead... I require lots and lots and lots of sunscreen. Having it in the see-through pockets makes it easy to grab and go without having to remember which cubby I stashed it in.

5. I wear glasses and contacts -- those see-through pockets come in handy when I have all my stuff in assigned regions and so I always know where my glasses (or contacts or sunglasses or saline solution) are. No worries about where I left my glasses when I left the room that morning, etc. -- I always know where they are.

6. Various items are handy to have in a designated area so anyone can find them at any given time -- flashlight, electronics charging cords, camera. Just because there are cupboards/drawers where you CAN stash your stuff, that doesn't mean you'll be able to remember exactly where you put each individual item... and who wants to spend their vacation opening every cupboard and ever drawer looking for <item>???

7. I pack my "in the organizer" stuff right in my organizer... I fold/roll it up and put it right in my suitcase as-is. Simplifies unpacking and repacking at both ends of the trip.

Other "hacks" that I swear by include:

*the battery-operated LED tealight candle from the dollar store for the bathroom nightlight

*a bag (or pop-up hamper -- I've done both ways) for dirty clothes

*a power strip and USB converters

*half the clothes and twice the money

*you're on vacation... don't worry about it!

I like to bring a small melamine tray to put my Seapass, glasses, jewelry, etc. on when I'm in the stateroom. http://www.amazon.com/Ashdene-Lavender-7-Inch-100-Percent-Melamine/dp/B004NBXPPY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1433826770&sr=8-4&keywords=Melamine+tray It keeps everything corralled and easy to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow!!! Thanks for all the tips. I especially like the one about printing out the deck plans and the white board. I am one of those who always packs too much so I am making a big effort to not do that this time. Thanks again! Bon Voyage!! :)

Disgusting!

On another thread recently someone mentioned you never know what's been put in the drawer's before your stuff.

Note to self, don't forget the LYSOL.

I pack all of our clothes in the large ziploc bags I get at the dollar store. I re-use those for the dirty clothes.

Edited by SAS21

What you use or don't use is a personal preference. I learned about the magnets and over-the-door organizer before my last cruise.... and I LOVED them both! I also use a small, mesh shower caddy. My mom and I cruise together frequently and we have lot so "stuff" :D

These three items really helped us organize all of the small things we use on a daily basis. Also, all three of these are insanely cheap (can usually find at the dollar store) and take up basically no room in our luggage).

The only thing I should mention is that the small over the door organizer we use has hooks that are too large for the typical cabin bathroom door. So I also take a couple of those easily removable 3M hooks (they don't leave any residue or damage the doors when removed). This way, I can place the organizer exactly where I want it without having to worry that the included hooks are too large/small.

Have a great cruise!!!

Melissa

On our Legend cruise, there was absolutely NO shelving in the bathroom. There was limited counter space, but there was no ledge, so things could possible go flying off if there were rough seas.

Thank goodness I had that over-the-door organizer. I put it over the bathroom door and it was a life saver. I have one with the clear pockets so it was easy to see what was in each pocket. (Dollar tree, one buck!!).

I've been on other ships with more bathroom shelving space, but I've found them to be deep and narrow. The organizer is so easy to use. I store it in our suitcases, so I remember where it is!

NOTE: the bathroom door only opened about 40%, so getting in and out was a bit tight with the additional room taken up with the organizer.

I try to keep the cabin organized. It makes it easier for me, as well as the cabin steward.

We bring an organizer and hang it in the closet or on the hook outside the bathroom. We bring a few magnetic clamp hooks to keep the paperwork straight. We also go through the papers every night and throw away what we don’t need.

I turn the vanity into sort of a dressing table and use a bathroom water glass to hold certain makeup up/make up brushes etc. (keeps them from rolling all over the place in the drawer)

Luckily the more recent cruises have had just a small round cocktail table ( in standard OV or balcony cabins) rather than the oval glass tables and those newer round tales are functional and don’t take up much space. There is even a small storage shelf near the bottom of the table.

Over the years, we find the key is not to over pack. Even if we have a smaller cabin, that there is generally ample storage. We just returned from a 15 night cruise in a OV cabin and still had empty drawers ( in the night tables). I ask for a few extra hangers and use the closet space.

M

Ps – those pop up storage bins are widely used on Celebrity for the over the bed storage closet but I think they would not be as functional on an RCCL ship.

good luck

M

What you use or don't use is a personal preference. I learned about the magnets and over-the-door organizer before my last cruise.... and I LOVED them both! I also use a small, mesh shower caddy. My mom and I cruise together frequently and we have lot so "stuff" :D

These three items really helped us organize all of the small things we use on a daily basis. Also, all three of these are insanely cheap (can usually find at the dollar store) and take up basically no room in our luggage).

The only thing I should mention is that the small over the door organizer we use has hooks that are too large for the typical cabin bathroom door. So I also take a couple of those easily removable 3M hooks (they don't leave any residue or damage the doors when removed). This way, I can place the organizer exactly where I want it without having to worry that the included hooks are too large/small.

Have a great cruise!!!

Melissa

Can I ask what you use the over the door organizer for? Trying to understand what RCL space is lacking or where these would be useful.

I am one to be super organized (and we're coming with 2 kids so need to be). I do have the closet organizers at home, but I just use it to store extra medicine, etc.

Bring current cruise compass (daily newsletter) ashore w/ you since it contains the port authority information, and you may need it if you miss the ship.

We bring hanging toiletry bags, and hang them on the back of the bathroom door.

We also print out our cruise calendar and use magnets to put them on the walls. When we're booking our various specialty dining reservations, we write them on our cruise calendar. Various invitations also get stuck to the wall w/ magnets.

We also print out our name and room number on plain white paper with the postcard label size. Cut them into note paper for leaving notes to the steward.

Magnets on the hallway door help us find our room easier.

We bring our own chocolates for nightly turn down.

Free sea sickness pills at Guest Relations.

Lately, we've printed two preference lists: one for the steward and one for the waiter.

On the steward list are things like:

1. Ice twice a day

2. No feather pillows

3. Four glasses in our room at all times

4. Clear the minibar of all but bottled water. (On our last cruise where I got norovirus, the minibar bottled water became free.)

Waiter list:

1. Standing order of Skim milk

2. No raw food

3. Food Allergies

Edited by knittinggirl

Our adult daughter is traveling with us this Oct and I am sure drawer space will be limited with 3 of us, so does anyone have tips for utilizing drawers & shelves etc for 2 ladies. DH will use one side of the drawers for his clothes. We are in a JS on the Serenade. I know I can use the drawers next to our bed and use them for the night ware and under garments.