Hoping for more current music on board this time

deiger

I am so ready for our upcoming cruise (Ist-Ven)... and I am really hoping that Seabourn is playing a bit more current music poolside (not the live bands - I'm speaking about the music piped in). I'd like to hear better music--if not current, at least from the past two decades sometime on this line!

I love almost everything about Seabourn. But the muzak piped in around the pool deck was very out of date on our last two cruises. I'm a lover of many forms of music - classical, jazz, pop, rock, blues, big band and many more. I'm a fan of Sinatra and other icons, don't get me wrong. But the music selection on our last 2 cruises felt very much tailored to the 70+ crowd.

It's a miss from an otherwise stellar experience, especially if the line is looking to be inclusive of younger (and still sophisticated) cruisers.

I am afraid we both absolute detest the awful muzak piped round the pool deck - and would even if it was worth listening to. We ask them to turn it off, which they say they are not allowed to, but they will occasionally turn it down.

My impression is that people relaxing on deck like to either read, snooze, or chat to others; none of these activities really blends in with extraneous unnecessary noise.

Obviously this is just my opinion - anyone else have strong feelings?

I am afraid we both absolute detest the awful muzak piped round the pool deck - and would even if it was worth listening to. We ask them to turn it off, which they say they are not allowed to, but they will occasionally turn it down.

My impression is that people relaxing on deck like to either read, snooze, or chat to others; none of these activities really blends in with extraneous unnecessary noise.

Obviously this is just my opinion - anyone else have strong feelings?

I would prefer either quiet background music or even better none at all. But I have always preferred quiet and my husband likes quiet background noise so I have learned to usually ignore it.

I certainly agree most around the deck want to snooze, read or chat unless a special event is planned.

I prefer my music in the club or observation lounge in the evening. Mind you I might just ask them if they can play Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" in the club,

that could be fun :).

Julie

Edited by frantic36

I hate the poolside music, unless there's an actual event going on of course.

If I want to listen to music I have my own, I really don't want someone else's choice forced on me when I'm trying to read, or worse, snooze.

This is one thing that I think detracts from the luxury experience. I don't want it in lifts either. Something that SB doesn't do, for now.

And for anyone who wants more current music, it's a pity they weren't on the Quest a couple of years ago when hip hop was blasting outside deck 5 aft.

Deiger,

I'm in w. the group that prefers no piped in music. We can always supply our own these days.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise,esp with such interesting bookend cities. Please write and share your experiences so that we can travel vicariously. Paula

Sorry deiger - so far looks like you are in the minority. However, dare I suggest you bring your own music, as many people do? Then you could listen to what you really like.

I am in agreement with everyone that for special events, it is great to have the band playing - sailaway, special deck evenings etc.

I'd totally be up for no music piped in poolside as well. Everyone has the option of using their own device for music if desired.

My thoughts were that if they *have* to play music, it would be nice to have some variety, hopefully a bit more current.

Loathe the piped-in music on the pool deck, always ask for it to be turned down or off (especially if we're about the only people there on a shore day) and put it on the negatives on every single review questionnaire we get. It seems however to be enshrined in Seabourn's corporate book of things-which-must-be and so it continues.

Sitting on a beautiful ship, docked in a bay or a a lovely port, reading or just looking at the view I can never think why any cruise line would want to dilute that experience with any kind of noise, let alone the kind of music which would make you hurry out of an elevator.

I am surprised that Seabourn pipes music on board. One of the things we love about Crystal is the absence of PA announcements and no music except live. The captain makes one announcement per day with updates, and aside from that there is nothing unless it is something urgent that passengers need to know. Seabourn should really get rid of the canned music as it doesn't fit with their image of a luxury line.

I am surprised that Seabourn pipes music on board. One of the things we love about Crystal is the absence of PA announcements and no music except live.

You are rather forgetting the cheesy Louis Armstrong,"we have all the time in the World" being played all over the ships PA at every sail away.

I found it cheesy tacky and annoying,but I guess that some sailors like this sort of thing.

No music and minimal instructive announcements on the ships PA for me.

I'm not a fan of the poolside music per se, since I listen to my own if I want...that being said, I thought the music was surprisingly modern and good on my last cruise ( Quest, April ). I guess it's ok for ambiance if your reading, talking ...