Sad news--sightseeing plane crash in Alaska

CathyCruises

Much more conversation on this over on the Alaska board of course. Horrible tragedy and I am praying for those lost, their families and others on their ship. What a terrible thing for everyone involved.

We have booked with Michelle from Island Wings (highly recommended on CC) for next May to see Misty Fjords - and it is NOT her company but a different one that had their plane crash. We have also booked the helicopter, glacier & dog sled tour in another port through Celebrity and this does have me concerned. I do think that I will spend more time checking out the safety records - particularly of the helicopter company.

Horrible! We went on a float plane excursion off the Volendam out of Ketchikan our very first cruise. Misty Fjords was beautiful.

Our plane didn't hold that many people. So, so sorry for all involved and their families. There was a similar crash shortly after we returned from Alaska in 2007.

OMG! I just went flightseeing in Ketchikan last month and I believe that's the lake we landed on. We went with Michele of Island Wings. I don't believe her plane holds 8 passengers.

What a tragedy!

This is so tragic. We did the Misty Fjords floatplane tour with Michele of Island Wings back in 2011 and it was one of the highlights of my Alaskan cruise. When I first heard the news I was worried it might be her. Prayers to the families of those lost.

They don't have any recorded safety issues. There are so many factors that could have caused this disaster. Any time you are on a plane/helicopter, there is risk. These events are horrific, but they will continue to happen randomly because irrespective of what's happened in the past, these are mechanical vehicles, flown by humans and subject to changing weather/winds and so on.

Personally, I try to avoid airlines that aren't viewed as safe (however, I have flown in Costa Rica, so obviously I do not follow this religiously...scary)...but ultimately, if your number is up, it's up. Be cautious, but this is likely to be something that no one could anticipate.

Remember the unsinkable Titanic......

So tragic and sad. I'm praying for comfort for the loved ones. We have also flown to Misty Fjords on a little plane that DID hold 8 passengers. It was a rainy day and low visibility most of the way, and a bumpy ride. I was scared to death. I didn't even want to get out of the plane at the fjord. I wonder if it was one of those days. Our pilot said they don't have radar, they just radio back and forth so they know where the other planes are, when it's a foggy day.

On the day we flew, many of the other airlines were canceling their flights. Ours (I don't remember the name of the company) was booked independently. He assured us we'd be ok (well we were, I'm here writing this 4 years later) but it wasn't probably advisable. Why we got on the plane I don't know. It wasn't even that nice of a plane. The seats were ripped and there were things all over the floor like a can of bug spray (I remember that rolling and rolling).

Never again will I book a flight ahead of time. I'll wait till I'm there and if it's a beautiful day and there is availability, then maybe. Maybe.

Extremely sad and tragic.

Sending lots of prayers to all of the families and friends who lost their loved ones, as well as to the passengers and crew of the Westerdam. I'm sure that ship is very traumatized. :( :( :(

Another sad side story is the impact this could have on bookings for other pilots and touring companies. They may experience a lot of cancellations or slow bookings for this season through no fault of their own.

Good point. I would suspect they might offer discounts though to keep the bookings or get new ones.

O man:(

God bless all the families as they deal with this. And keep all other planes and passengers safe. Michelle was our pilot also. I bet she's devastated. Those pilots up there are family.

Good to keep in mind though, just how many flights are done safely every day in Alaska since that is the main mode of transportation. Comparatively safe, although you couldn't prove it by those who just lost their loved ones.:(