What Was Royal Caribbean Like Back in the Day?

Im curious ... when you were on Norway (which I know was a long large ship and a former ocean liner) .. how did the Sovereign compare as you looked over at it ? I know the length was similar .. but did Sovereign seem a lot larger ?
The short answer would yes. As you have noted the Norway was built as a transatlantic and had a draft of 36 feet. Todays cruise ship draft from 26 to 30 feet. (I think my numbers are correct if not they are close)

But yes the Sovereign was "taller" as it had 14 deck levels where the Norway had 12 and that was a small sunning deck.

I remember the Orange dressing, the Butter Brickle ice cream, and tableside Cherries Jubilee - YUM! Lobster was also very good then. Not the washed-out rubber served now.

What I miss most is that cruising used to cater to adults, not children. Cruising was about getting to know your crew and fellow cruisers, the ports, and the ship. No cartoon characters, etc. except for the kids club.

More guest entertainers, and less 'deluxe' production shows. The shows also seemed to change more often.

Back then, we had guest lecturers for short talks on the islands and history, and once we had a naturalist that did a slide show and talk about island critters. I thoroughly enjoyed those. Now, there are shopping talks.

I don't miss the formality in the dining room, but I sure do miss the service. Back when, meals were served at the pace of the diners, not at the pace of the kitchen.

I like the Windjammer and 'my time' dining, and can't wait for the day RCCL permits shorts in the dining room for dinner. I have to admit that we're cruising Carnival more now for that specific reason.

I don't remember the beds being bad back when, but I didn't have a memory foam mattress at home then either. Now, all the beds seem to be made out of lumpy rock.

First-ever cruise trip was with my Mom on the Cunard Countess out of Puerto Rico between Xmas and New Years back ~1987, and I was hooked!

My first cruise on RCCL was on the Grandeur of the Seas in summer 2000 with my hubby - 7 days out of Miami. To this day, Grandeur is still our favorite ship!

Wendy

I miss the REAL flaming baked alaska. Was so much fun but totally understand the change. Also loved the standard of service when the gratuities were given to each server or attendant PERSONALLY. The interactions were more fun and the service rarely had a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Oh yes another couple things deserted Labadee....only beaches, towels and palm trees. Also kids club did science experiments and so many other cool educational things. The kids were never just fending for themselves in rooms of computer screens and movies. They'd do pirates night and be all painted up marching through the dining room and it was fun for everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Im curious ... when you were on Norway (which I know was a long large ship and a former ocean liner) .. how did the Sovereign compare as you looked over at it ? I know the length was similar .. but did Sovereign seem a lot larger ?

Good question. The Sovereign seemed a lot larger to us because of the Centrum. We had many happy trips on her.

However, the Norway was a long ship, so going somewhere could be quite a walk. Especially because there were a lot of 'you can't get there from here' locations. We eventually figured out that the aft elevators/stairways went to all decks.

We went on the Norway as a last-minute spring break week. We had a teeny-tiny inside cabin - advertised as 77 square feet, and I think that might have been a bit generous.

When we opened the door, it thunked into the foot of the small double bed before it fully opened. We had a 'dresser' about 18 inches wide beside the bed, so the bathroom door thunked into the side of the bed before it fully opened. Closets were built into the wall, so we had plenty of storage space.

Edging into the bathroom, it looked like a bowling alley. The toilet was first, mounted perpendicular to the long wall, so you had to straddle to keep your knees off the wall when sitting down. The sink was next, and the trick was to sidle past and use it from the side. Then, at the very end, there was a fabulous full-width shower stall.

We also had our own personal water show. Hubby and I were cuddled up in bed the first night, and we thought we heard water dripping. The sound seemed to be coming from the wall behind our heads. The drip became a stream, then it got louder and larger until we thought we were by a waterfall. We were howling with laughter by the time it faded away. We were treated to the water show every few hours all week.

We spent the evenings hanging out with the 'Social Hostess', a bunch of the cruise director's staff and one of the bands. I still have the CD they presented to us.

It was a wonderful, relaxing week, and the boiler accident happened before we could go out on her again.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Wendy

OK, here are some random old memories.

First I recall when I was a little kid..... my grandparents were going on a cruise from NYC and we actually all went to a Bon Voyage party on board. Those were the days!

Then some years later in the 70s my parents took my younger brothers and I on a cruise. Greek Lines - Olympia, also out of NYC. I remember there was a teen club which I attended and they had a band and dancing. :)

I remember a fantastic "map room" with beautiful large wooden desks/tables with various maps under glass.

There were plenty of fancy meals and of course flaming Baked Alaska.

PS I realize this was not RCCL, but fun stuff.

Edited by mets07
PS

First cruise with co-worker in the 70's on the Sun Viking. It looked huge!!

14 nights---all around the Caribbean islands.

--streamers to throw overboard at sail-away-party--live band playing on the deck while ship's horn sounded! Shouts of "Bon Voyage!"

--sorbet to "cleanse the palate between the numerous courses at dinner

--at officer's table so had before dinner drinks, wine and champagne during dinner and liqueurs after dinner

--themed dinners as poster mentioned with costumed waiters and different folded napkins...like a boot for Italian night

--as another poster mentioned, flaming desserts. The waiters parade around the dining room with the flaming desserts. The flaming babalu (sp?) on the heads of the Caribbean waiters were a sight to see (all waiters were dressed in island costumes)

--passengers dressed up every night. Think long dresses (maxis), dressy jumpsuits etc.

--exercise classes were fun and free. We saw President Carter and his family for two years straight during December cruises (in the 80's). Rosalyn never "sweated" in the fitness classes---she "glowed!!"

--if you chose the red eye from the west coast to the east coast to catch a flight, you get a quick tour of Florida and lunch at a restaurant with key lime pie!!! Later--in the 80's, you can fly in a day early and stay at a hotel for free.

--as someone mentioned, the horse races were fun and I got to shake the "giant foam dice!!" At skeet shooting, when I didn't hit one thing, the crew member apologized!!!! Another game: passengers (male and female) had to pass an orange with no hands (neck, chest only).:D

--who remembers our Sun Viking song? "On the Sun Viking, la la la..." LOL

--masquerade night, pirate night

--America the Beautiful night

--On our honeymoon cruise (1983), we were faced with a lot of utensils at dinner. Our kind French waiter "Claude" discreetly put his finger at the base of the utensil we were to use (appetizer, sorbet 2-3, soup, salad, entree etc etc)

--remember the orange bed spreads on the L-shaped beds?

--Lastly, the beautiful singing of Auld Lang Syne on the last night.

Thanks for the memories all!

found a flaminb babalu dance on another line

I just noticed in your signature that you sailed the Monarch in May 1994. We were on the May 22nd sailing for our honeymoon! I thought that passenger list thingy looked familiar. I have one stashed away among my honeymoon keepsakes. :)

We sailed May 15. This cruise was very popular for honeymoons. At our dining table 3 of 5 couples were on their honeymoons.

So many great memories! We took our first cruise in 1982; first RC cruise in 1984. However, the only times we were greeted with free drinks - and then only champagne, mimosas and OJ - were on Celebrity. But drink prices were very reasonable, often even less than back home in CO (unless we were drinking at the NCO Club on the AF Bases). We could buy liquor in ports and even on the ship - without an added charge for the first several years - and take them to our room upon purchase! Loved the after-dinner shooters!

Best filet mignon I ever had was from the regular menu in the MDR. Lobster was great and good size. And, oh, that orange dressing! Windjammer did not serve dinner, but had afternoon snacks - great ones!

We were on the maiden voyage of the Sovereign in 1988. Still have the passenger list from that one. Passengers included the Carters - Rosalyn was the Godmother for that ship. Did several maiden voyages - they made them special back when!

Yes, people dressed "as suggested" with almost no exceptions, and each formal night truly felt like a special occasion.

Not all the changes have been negative, but plenty to miss and remember fondly from "the good old days."

This thread is why remembering the good old days where more was included seems to get you called out as negative when you point it out. Don't even have to go back 20 years, has changed much in ten.

Which brings me to when I started cruising, in 2003 on Radiance. Lots of stuff being talked about here that I didn't experience.

But...many things being discussed aren't things I would *want*.

1. You had welcome aboard free drinks handed to you when you walked on the ship.

2. At breakfast you had free fresh squeezed orange juice, apple juice, pineapple juice and several other juices available for you free of charge in tiny little glasses.

3. Chocolates on the pillow at night.

4. The waitstaff at dinner was not slammed and overwhelmed with work. If you asked about their country and family, they would talk your ear off with a smile on their face.

5. You had a welcome back free gift in your room when you first got to your cabin.

6. "Horse racing" and horse race gambling by the pool deck several days a week.

7. Fitness classes were free of charge and you accumulated "ship shape dollars" that you could exchange for a free t-shirt at the end of the week.

8. The ships were smaller but more upscale.

9. People dressed up at dinner multiple nights a week in suits and dresses. Dinners were much formal than these days.

10. Flaming cherry jubilee was made at the table by the head waiter for dessert at least one night each sailing.

11. Drink prices were higher than land, but not nearly as absurd as they are these days.

12. The paper comment card at the end of the week was insanely important to the crew and they would talk about each time you saw them the last few days of the week. You would turn them in as you walked off the ship the last day and one person would win a free cruise for filling it out.

13. There use to be a passenger talent show during the week.

14. Extravagant midnight buffets each night of the sailing. The ice and butter carvings were amazing.

Some of those existed in '03, some of them exist now (we still talk to employees about their lives) . The others...eh.

I wish they would just increase the prices and bring back some of the old stuff. I am paying the same now for a cruise that we paid 15 years ago.

I'm quite sure you can find more expensive, fancier cruiselines if you wanted to. I personally am totally fine paying the same dollar amount and getting less. :)

Oh yes another couple things deserted Labadee....only beaches, towels and palm trees. Also kids club did science experiments and so many other cool educational things. The kids were never just fending for themselves in rooms of computer screens and movies. They'd do pirates night and be all painted up marching through the dining room and it was fun for everyone.

On Royal the kids don't fend for themselves in rooms of screens and movies. You might be thinking of Disney? My son loves the Royal kid club more than Disney because of the personalized attention, the way the counselors actually play WITH them, and how you aren't just allowed to sit and play a game for hours (like you can get away with on DCL).

Though I admit he hasn't been in the preteen/teen club yet on either line. So maybe that's what it's like for the kids who are 12+.

Freedom had a pirate night Jan 2014! I think Vision did, too, last October, but it wasn't as intense. On Freedom they got together ahead of time and got all painted up. Their parade was down the promenade on Freedom.

We also had our own personal water show. Hubby and I were cuddled up in bed the first night, and we thought we heard water dripping. The sound seemed to be coming from the wall behind our heads. The drip became a stream, then it got louder and larger until we thought we were by a waterfall. We were howling with laughter by the time it faded away. We were treated to the water show every few hours all week.

OK....WHAT was that? I'm missing something.

Someone mentioned dining on the diners' time... Ah, at least for us, not quite. Dining on the OTHER diners' (at our table) time. We were at an 8-top and 4 people never showed up. The other couple was obviously a man and his mistress. He ordered tons of wine (DH doesn't drink and I was brand newly pregnant so we weren't doing that). He would get multiple lobsters (we're vegetarian). He ordered many of each thing. The servers loved him, assuming he would be tipping terrifically. And maybe he did. But the servers ignored us.

For us, we ate *eggplant* dishes EVERY night. Bleah. That's pretty much all they had that was vegetarian! I'm SO glad for the food now (if only they would get that one night's menu correct and stop calling crab vegetarian). I think I had a shot of something one night, while I was still in denial (we're talking 1.5 weeks post-conception, how could we have known? but we did), and DH bought the cute little cups without the booze in them, but we were nowhere near as extravagant as the other couple, so we were treated less extravagantly. And our smaller meals were timed to the other couple. We had a LOT of downtime at dinners.

Best filet mignon I ever had was from the regular menu in the MDR. Lobster was great and good size. And, oh, that orange dressing! Windjammer did not serve dinner, but had afternoon snacks - great ones!

"

We were on Viking Serenade in 1992....and I totally agree with you! The lobster and filets were outstanding!.

And then 2 years after that we were on Regal Princess....out of FLL, and not only did they have a lobster night, we had an Alaskan King Crab leg night! And the filets were very, very good to go along with them.

I miss the really great food as part of the whole cruise experience. I don't like cruise food anymore.

Edited by Coralc

Good question. The Sovereign seemed a lot larger to us because of the Centrum. We had many happy trips on her.

However, the Norway was a long ship, so going somewhere could be quite a walk. Especially because there were a lot of 'you can't get there from here' locations. We eventually figured out that the aft elevators/stairways went to all decks.

We went on the Norway as a last-minute spring break week. We had a teeny-tiny inside cabin - advertised as 77 square feet, and I think that might have been a bit generous.

When we opened the door, it thunked into the foot of the small double bed before it fully opened. We had a 'dresser' about 18 inches wide beside the bed, so the bathroom door thunked into the side of the bed before it fully opened. Closets were built into the wall, so we had plenty of storage space.

Edging into the bathroom, it looked like a bowling alley. The toilet was first, mounted perpendicular to the long wall, so you had to straddle to keep your knees off the wall when sitting down. The sink was next, and the trick was to sidle past and use it from the side. Then, at the very end, there was a fabulous full-width shower stall.

We spent the evenings hanging out with the 'Social Hostess', a bunch of the cruise director's staff and one of the bands. I still have the CD they presented to us.

It was a wonderful, relaxing week, and the boiler accident happened before we could go out on her again.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Wendy

Wow, Wendy what a fantastic recollection of SS Norway! (of course we are about to get scolded that this was NOT a RC ship .. LOL!)

You made me LOL with the running water and toilet stories .. but OMG .. 77 sq ft cabin ???? I cant even picture that .. yikes ! :eek:

My first cruise was in 1966 on the Chandris Line (now Celebrity) cruise ship Australis. We thought she was wonderful, but compared to today's ships she was pretty basic.

We boarded in the evening from Southampton, and sailed close to midnight. Nobody even considered flying out to the Caribbean to pick up a ship, and the choice was very limited. My parents had an inside room with an ensuite shower room but only bunk beds whilst my sister and I were in a cabin low down with a tiny porthole and no bathroom. We had to walk down the corridor to communal toilets and showers. There was lino on the floor and the beds were tiny and rock hard. They had a curious way of making the beds where the sheets and blankets were wrapped around on top of the bed and you slid into them like a sleeping bag. The corridors near our cabin had lagged pipes and electric cables fully visible, and no carpets anywhere.

The food was edible but not great, there was no fresh milk for tea just watered down evaporated milk (yuk!). The dining room closed spot on time, you were expected to be waiting at the door, and if you rolled up late you were told 'no service' and turned away. There was nowhere else to eat. There were two sittings and two dining rooms, and each meal was preceded by a little tinkly tune played over the tannoy system. People dressed up each night and long evening dresses and cocktail dresses were de rigeur.

Bouillon was brought round daily on a little trolley served from an urn, and we would sip small cups of this soup mid morning. There were buffets on the beautiful enclosed teak Promenade Deck from time to time with spectacular ice and sugar displays.

Entertainment was in the lounge on a tiny stage and was mainly by the entertainments crew. The group, 'The Athenians' played wonderful Greek music at night. There was a Library and a Card Room and lots of entertainment round the pool, including the 'Crossing the Line' ceremony even when we were nowhere near the Equator.

We often overnighted in ports but mostly spent all day and up to midnight in each port. No dashing back for a 3.00 pm sail away. Cruises were usually 14 days or more.

Smoking was everywhere, even in cabins, and there was one tiny shop in the bowels of the ship selling mainly Australian souvenirs, as the ship was normally on the Australia immigrant run - we purchased furry koala bears and slippers lined with kangaroo fur. When the ship visited Madeira people bought wicker garden furniture which was stacked up on the deck to get it home.

There was nowhere to eat except the MDR where we ate breakfast lunch and dinner. Choices were limited and the food was plated up and not very elegant. On the night of the Captains Dinner there were no choices, just a set menu, and the Captain or Staff Captain always ate in the dining room. We were invited to dine with him one evening and it was a wonderful experience. On embarkation night there was a small buffet laid out in one of the lounges.

There was a long promenade deck with brass framed windows which wound down to let in some air, and all along this deck were teak loungers where we would sit and relax. There were no towel animals or chocolate on the pillow as far as I can remember, but there was a cinema and an inside swimming pool. The outside pool was a tiny square which stuck up out of the deck, no marble tiles or statues to decorate this deck.

There were no balconies as far as I know, and compared to today, Australis had few amenities. But we fell in love with cruising, and thought Australis was the most wonderful ship in the world. She was a sight to see when docked, with her blue funnels with the white cross on them and her elegant superstructure. She was fast and stable, and at each port she would be nudged into the dock by powerful tugs. Nothing can quite compare with the feeling of exhilaration watching the foaming wake from the back of the ship, and we thought we were 'on the top of the world!'

Nearly 50 years later we are still cruising, and yes, they may have stopped giving out chocolate on the pillow, and they may not do towel animals, but we still feel such excitement at the prosect of cruising and we appreciate the comfy beds, the ensuite bathrooms and the balconies more and more each year.

Long may we, and all of you, continue cruising!

Edited by ellie1145

Started with RCCL in 1988 on the Sovereign, miss sheet shooting and golfing off the fantail, all the open decks on older ships, and being able to bring a case of beer onboard. Do not miss all the smoking, even in the MDR.

I haven't cruised on Royal Caribbean yet, but I remember a lot of my first cruise.

I was in 6th grade, so that would have been 1982. We'd moved three years before, and our house had sold but we hadn't found one yet. Our dad wanted to do a special trip for Spring Break, and the travel agent (member of our church where Daddy worked) suggested a cruise. Our only image of cruising was courtesy of The Love Boat, so we thought it was out of our reach. But there was something like a Kids Sail Free thing on the SS Emerald Seas (and possibly some kind of deal with air as well...I don't know those specifics), so we decided to give it a shot.

I don't remember when we got on the ship - if we were escorted or anything. I do remember we had to go to the dining room to get our table assignment. Our cabin was a porthole cabin, and the porthole was just that - maybe a foot in diameter. But it was a little window. The cabin had twin beds in two corners with bunks over them - Mom and Dad had the beds, my sister and I had the bunks. Our cabin steward was great - I don't remember towel animals, but he was always setting our stuffed animals up somewhere. Our beds were not just set up, but turned down for the night when we got back from dinner (except my dad's the first night - he had left his socks on the bed when we left for dinner and his was not turned down - we teased him mercilessly about that).

Muster drill was a presentation in the show room, and we all had to wear our life jackets.

We were seated at a table with another family (that was the norm then - communal seating...and why as someone pointed out earlier in the thread there was more space between the tables - they weren't separated for everyone who needs to have their special snowflake table alone - you accepted when you cruised that you would be seated with others, and you'd dress while doing it) who had a daughter right between me and my sister in age. We three may have been the only children on the ship, but I'm not positive. Our server, Manuel (yes, I still remember his name) was wonderful with us. We were in Nassau for two days - yes, even without Atlantis!! - the first day we did a buggy tour and the straw market and a glass bottom boat ride while the second we went to Paradise Island which was really just a beach (topless on one side, clothed on the other) at that time. I got super sunburned that day, and I remember Manuel offering to get vinegar for my mom to put on me (I nixed that saying I was not a pickle). We had one pretty rough night, and we were all ok, but only the father made it from the other family - Manuel got plates fixed for the mom and daughter to have delivered to their cabin. That night there was a Creme de Menthe dessert, which turned out to be basically vanilla ice cream with Creme de Menthe poured over it. I wanted that because to me "Creme de Menthe" meant those little Andes mints. Manuel cleared it with my parents, and so I had my first taste of alcohol (they didn't really understand what it would be either) - and I had NO issues with rockiness.

I don't remember any big-name entertainers, but we did go to a few of the shows in the lounge - still dressed from dinner. There was a room that served as a movie theatre on board - my sister and our table mate and I went to see a movie - and discovered a rotten apple core between the seats that was so fuzzy at first we thought it was a mouse. We did get to see our tablemates' cabin, which was a verandah suite - and we were most impressed with it.

There was a small, square pool on board, but it was only open when the ship was in port, and the water was about three feet below the ledge and was only about 4 feet deep. We did swim the day we were in Freeport after walking around in the morning and having enough of that place - I had to wear the badge of shame (t-shirt over suit) because of my sunburn. But I'm pretty sure my dad and sister and I were the only ones who actually used it - at least at that time we were the only ones in there.

The last night, the servers did a dessert parade with Baked Alaska with sparklers in it - and Manuel had held some sparklers our for my sister and our tablemate and me.

We had a really good time, but didn't cruise again until a couple of years ago when we went on Disney as part of a vacation to celebrate my parents' 45th anniversary. :)

This fun question is for the veteran cruisers who've sailed with Royal Caribbean for 20+ years. I would enjoy and appreciate hearing anecdotes or stories about what cruising with Royal Caribbean was like back then?

Some questions I have are: Were passengers more well-dressed and/or behaved? Was the general atmosphere more refined or even stately? Was there more passenger interaction? Were two-tops as popular then as they are today? What shipboard activities do you miss? What venues or customs have gone the way of the dinosaur? What was Labadee like in 1986?

Upon embarkation you were greeted with a glass of bubbly and White gloved Stewards who took your carry-on to get you to your cabin.

As others have said there were daily midnight buffets. A Gala buffet once a cruise. A cruise manifest at the end of the cruise. The Cruise Compass was informative and not full with adverts to sell something. The head waiters prepared Food at your table, like Ceasars salad or flamed cherries jubilee.

Food was not all served plated, but the waiters would have a plate with vegetables and serve individually. Once onboard you were disconnected. There was no cell phone coverage, there was no Wifi. Internetcafés just started to offer a per Minute Connection on their Computers.

There was not much Need for two tops in the Dining room. People were not focused on sharing their life with the whole world constantly and instantly, but at the same time are unable and/or unwilling to share a Dining table with likemineded People and engage in a dinner conversation, let alone many times make friends.

Dress codes were Dress codes and People comlied with them. The word suggested was not used in the context of the Dress code for the evening, but just in the description of what Kind of Outfit would fit within the Dress code for the evening.

1. You had welcome aboard free drinks handed to you when you walked on the ship.

2. At breakfast you had free fresh squeezed orange juice, apple juice, pineapple juice and several other juices available for you free of charge in tiny little glasses.

3. Chocolates on the pillow at night.

4. The waitstaff at dinner was not slammed and overwhelmed with work. If you asked about their country and family, they would talk your ear off with a smile on their face.

5. You had a welcome back free gift in your room when you first got to your cabin.

6. "Horse racing" and horse race gambling by the pool deck several days a week.

7. Fitness classes were free of charge and you accumulated "ship shape dollars" that you could exchange for a free t-shirt at the end of the week.

8. The ships were smaller but more upscale.

9. People dressed up at dinner multiple nights a week in suits and dresses. Dinners were much formal than these days.

10. Flaming cherry jubilee was made at the table by the head waiter for dessert at least one night each sailing.

11. Drink prices were higher than land, but not nearly as absurd as they are these days.

12. The paper comment card at the end of the week was insanely important to the crew and they would talk about each time you saw them the last few days of the week. You would turn them in as you walked off the ship the last day and one person would win a free cruise for filling it out.

13. There use to be a passenger talent show during the week.

14. Extravagant midnight buffets each night of the sailing. The ice and butter carvings were amazing.

Those are the ones that popped in my head off the bat. I will share more as I think of them.

^^This. Perfectly stated. [emoji4]

I didn't sail Royal C. until my 6th cruise. When I did some research on the first ships we sailed on I found: Oceanos over New Year's 86-87 sank in 1991, Atlas over New Year's 87-88 sank in 2003, Britanis over New Year's 88-89 sank in 2000. Wow!

What I recall of those first ships is the smell of must & mildew. We had interior cabins on decks that were so far down I swear they were below sea level. Does anyone know if they did have cabins below sea level or is it just my imagination?

Our first try at RCCL was in May 2006 on Majesty of the Sea. We had no idea the cabins were so small and we booked interior and took our 2 grand-daughters. We could not turn around in that cabin if we were all in it. The girls loved to dress up but it was quite a challenge trying to change in the bathroom so my husband spent a lot of time out of the cabin. I know they had the Love & Marriage game at that time because my husband and I were contestants! We could clearly hear our granddaughters who were sitting in the front row saying "Too much information" when we gave our answers. We sat at a table with, I think, 6 others. Our youngest granddaughter was just turning 11 and the server kept trying to make her take the kid's menu. She kept refusing it. When she ordered the lamb shank one night they tried to talk her out of it but she stuck to it and ate every bite. It's still one of her favourite meals aboard.

We visited Labadee on that cruise and since I recall very little about it except that there were some huts where vendors were selling souvenirs, it makes me think that there was not much special about it. I was there again in 2011 and it was very different!

We took our sons on our first cruises and two of them still cruise today. One is diamond and so are both of our granddaughters (with Royal).

One meal choice I recall that we had on each of our first cruises was caviar with crackers and all the things that go with caviar. How great it was to experience foods we had not had before!

I had forgotten the horse racing. That was fun. I wish they'd bring that back.

Baked Alaska, midnight buffet, ice sculptures, no specialty dining, no shampoo for the shower, bunk beds, small pool, and no kid's club when we first took our boys. I wonder what they did do all day? I recall a very small casino which my husband and I spent a little evening time in while the boys had to stand in the doorway! Nickel and quarter slots.

I'm trying to remember what drinks the kids were allowed to have at meals. It seems to me they could have milk but would have to pay for and cold drinks. Does anyone remember that?

No one has mentioned it so maybe the RCCL ships were all newer than the first ships we were on but I recall having to step up and over every time you went through a doorway. I also remember trying to walk straight once you disembarked because the ships did a lot of swaying. No stabilizers like they have today.

I have always liked to play bingo and I remember playing when the prize was 50% of the sales for each game played. Much more fun and affordable.

Not all about Royal but fun to recall.

Thanks OP, for the walk down memory lane. Our first cruise was in the mid 80's on the Carnival Mardi Gras. We didn't start sailing Royal Caribbean until the mid 90's.

A remembered a few more.

Where ever RCCL decided to have the 24/7 coffee station, there was also an assortment of cookies.

For several years, Sovereign gave away small Yellow Bird Cocktails , spiked or virgin, when you entered the ship.

I think there was also a coffee station in the casino for late night.

enjoy

m

PS - I recently found the Ship Shape mesh barrel beach tote and even took it on the last Bahamas cruise!

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

This fun question is for the veteran cruisers who've sailed with Royal Caribbean for 20+ years. I would enjoy and appreciate hearing anecdotes or stories about what cruising with Royal Caribbean was like back then?

Some questions I have are: Were passengers more well-dressed and/or behaved? Was the general atmosphere more refined or even stately? Was there more passenger interaction? Were two-tops as popular then as they are today? What shipboard activities do you miss? What venues or customs have gone the way of the dinosaur? What was Labadee like in 1986?

OK, here goes:

First RCCL cruise in October 1973.

Passengers were dressed the same during the day: tee shirts, shorts, bathing suits, cover-ups. Just the styles were different.

Definitely not more refined or stately. It was actually more of a relaxed vacation atmosphere, because they didn't have all the bells and whistles. Just sun, music, food, and goofy swimming pool games.

Passengers drank a lot of alcohol just like now, so everyone was pretty gregarious and friendly. Since the ships were much smaller, and you only had about 800 passengers, you at least recognized most people after 5 days or so.

There were no tables for two. You were assigned to a table and took your chances. They had no buffet open for dinner: it was just the dining room. We had some fabulous tablemates, and some real losers, so after 20 years decided we just preferred to be alone and started asking for a table for two in the 1990's.

Shipboard activities we miss are the midnight buffet, and the afternoon tea (yeah, we were foodies then, too!). They were great treats.

Gone with the dinosaurs: a booklet with all the passenger names and addresses; boxes of chocolate turtles at Easter time; fresh flowers in your cabin.

The ports were much slower paced and less "homogenized"; you actually felt like you were in a foreign country with each island's heritage, language, and customs. St. Thomas has always been the shopping destination, though.

Photo by DarthGrady

P1010397.jpg

OMG! I SO remember this!!! I got what was probably the pre-curser to neuro in a cabin like this. I was sure this was going to be my casket! The staff was amazing. They brought hot tea to me every few hours, around the clock....without us asking!

The orange bed spreads...they would roll them up and put them on the back of your sofa. Had real turn down service. Your sheet would be neatly folded back so all you had to do was fall into bed!

Once again Thank you for starting this thread. We sure have enjoyed it!:)