Aerosol sunscreen

mattp420

Just off the Triumph...had a great cruise but dang, the aerosol sunscreen on the Lido deck is out of control. Give me a smoker over that stuff any day!

I wouldn't go as far as taking a smoker over the stuff, but I do agree with it being a little crazy..I use it but I ALWAYS try to be considerate when spraying. If a breeze catches it just right YOU don't want to be downwind.. And your neighbor gets a free spray!! Happy Cruising 28 days and counting!!

I wouldn't go as far as taking a smoker over the stuff, but I do agree with it being a little crazy..I use it but I ALWAYS try to be considerate when spraying. If a breeze catches it just right YOU don't want to be downwind.. And your neighbor gets a free spray!! Happy Cruising 28 days and counting!!

To me it's way worse than smoking. That stuff was getting in my drinks and on my food. Needs to be banned from the lido deck.

We used it for the first time on our cruise. In the small cabin it was really smelly and it made the floor in the bathroom super slippery. I'm not sure what the answer is, because I also noticed the smell by the pool and the entrance to the lido was very slippery.

It's really handy with the little ones, but we're going to switch back to the lotion. I don't think it worked as good.

About 75% of the spray goes into the air and then settles on whatever is next to the person being sprayed. It is wasteful and harmful. Not as bad as cigarettes, but still noxious.

I have mentioned that people should use either oil free or biodegradable sunscreen when this topic comes up. It is better for your own skin, your wallet, the sea life and corals.

Anyone who snorkels on a group excursion can see the oil sheen in the water that comes right off everyone's skin, it settles into the beautiful ecosystem everyone is oohing and aahing over, and helps kill it for the next group.

It's rude to do it around people. It's toxic. Nuff said.

Rude and common courtesy don't seem to mean much to folks these days. I guess their momma taught them they're the center of the universe and they can do whatever they want without regard for others.

And some of us are allergic to the stuff. I used it once on my legs and almost immediately, I had a major painful burning sensation and my legs turned bright red and broke out in itchy welts. Turns out many of the spray sunblocks contain coconut oil, which I'm highly allergic to. Hopefully I'll have considerate people around me on Lido, beaches, etc. Allergies are no fun…

I hate that stuff also! I wish it would get banned from use! While on our shore excursions, it seemed to be the only kind of sunscreen anyone was using. The people tried, I think, to be considerate as they walked a bit away from us, but the wind always carried the stuff... In Jamaica I got a whole wad of it in my eyes, and it seemed every time I turned around I was inhaling someone's sunscreen. It sure does look a lot easier to apply than the typical lotions, but it sure does pollute!

As far as the biodegradable sunscreens... where can I find more information on what and where to buy this? I had no idea it was to keep the coral healthy.... I kept reading for our shore excursions (dolphins) to be sure to wear biodegradable sunscreen, but I have no idea where to get it or what it might be called and I had no idea why it was being required. Does anyone know what brand, or type is biodegradable? I don't want to harm the environment!

Anyone who snorkels on a group excursion can see the oil sheen in the water that comes right off everyone's skin, it settles into the beautiful ecosystem everyone is oohing and aahing over, and helps kill it for the next group.

Just look at the lido pool by 2pm on a sea day. [emoji50]

- JPO

Edited by MickCruiser

Just look at the lido pool by 2pm on a sea day. [emoji50]

- JPO

Which is why the USPH requires showers near the pool, and signs that you should shower before entering the pools and hot tubs. The oil slick affects the chlorine's ability to sanitize the water. Fire retardant suit on now, for those who say "take my sunscreen off in the water?" USPH is concerned with infectious diseases, not systemic ones like skin cancer, so there needs to be a balancing act.

We have a sailing charter business and my husband makes the people spray it into their hands and then apply it explaining to them it makes the decks very slick. As one poster said, 75% of it just goes into the air and settles on everything around the person spraying. Nasty stuff!

Pat

the aerosol sunblock is a waste of money.

If it sprays everywhere, what good is it?

Stick with the lotion

If you're traveling alone it's really hard to apply lotion to your back. I agree that the spray is noxious to breath. For that reason I apply it on the balcony because I can't breathe if I put it on in the bathroom. I figure the side walls of the balcony keep it from bothering my neighbors too much Plus I make sure that I'm the only one out there at the time that I'm spraying.

As far as the biodegradable sunscreens... where can I find more information on what and where to buy this? I had no idea it was to keep the coral healthy.... I kept reading for our shore excursions (dolphins) to be sure to wear biodegradable sunscreen, but I have no idea where to get it or what it might be called and I had no idea why it was being required. Does anyone know what brand, or type is biodegradable? I don't want to harm the environment!

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Biodegradable-Waterproof-Sunscreen-Lotion/dp/B007KBLJ8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1437826180&sr=1-1&keywords=biodegradable+sunscreen

31nmTSFb4SL.jpg

The biodegradable sunblock is great for the coral reefs but be mindful to reapply after each time in the water as they are not waterproof. We learned the hard way last year while snorkeling in Cozumel. We all got badly sunburned because we forgot to reapply. My niece and her boyfriend had to cancel their massages that afternoon and he had to wear a rash guard the rest of the cruise.

I'm allergic to the propellants in the aerosol sunscreen so I had to go back to the lotion, which I actually like much better now that I've switched back.

Which would be the same propellants as what is in the vast majority of your cooking sprays too. Just an FYI.