B2B reduction in listed Price vs waiting for price reduction

At the risk of sounding crass, my 83 year old mother insist on asking the question. If we are looking at 2 cruises (repeat b2b) that are for end of November and the beginning of December, and have a lot of vacant rooms at this point; would I be wasting my time or embarrassing myself, if I was to request my TA to "make a deal" to book a B2B?

Mother seems to think that there might be a reduction in the price of each if a b2b was offered. I thought that the price was what it was, but I may not know how things work.

I do not want to suggest this to the TA without backup from the forum. Maybe the correct path to take is wait it out for a "sale" (which was my suggestion to my mother).

I tried a search and came up with nothing. So I posted this as a new thread.

Before I make a fool of myself, please inform.:rolleyes:

At the risk of sounding crass, my 83 year old mother insist on asking the question. If we are looking at 2 cruises (repeat b2b) that are for end of November and the beginning of December, and have a lot of vacant rooms at this point; would I be wasting my time or embarrassing myself, if I was to request my TA to "make a deal" to book a B2B?

Mother seems to think that there might be a reduction in the price of each if a b2b was offered. I thought that the price was what it was, but I may not know how things work.

I do not want to suggest this to the TA without backup from the forum. Maybe the correct path to take is wait it out for a "sale" (which was my suggestion to my mother).

I tried a search and came up with nothing. So I posted this as a new thread.

Before I make a fool of myself, please inform.:rolleyes:

My advice ... wait until a few days after final payment date and see what's available. If there are available staterooms, very often prices will drop after the "shakeout" that generally occurs after final payment date.

A good TA can usually provide prices lower than the Princess price, typically on the order of 10%.

The TA might be able to provide a slightly better discount (a deal) for the B2Bs, it's certainly worth asking and it is not considered an unreasonable request. Heck, the worst thing that happens is they say no.

As an alternative the TA might throw in some on board credit instead of a bigger discount (another form of a deal your mother might like). That's pretty much the same thing as a lower price unless you're getting insurance. If you are getting insurance, you want the lower price as then the insurance will be less as well. Not a huge difference but it is something.

All in all though, I would not expect much as most TAs are already cutting things to the bone. Again, asking won't hurt anything.

The end of November (after Thanksgiving) and the beginning of December are slow times and often there can be bargains when sailing at that time.

If the ship is slow to fill up, there good be good sales after final payment date, so for that time of year I would keep an eye on the number of vacant cabins and if there continues to be a good number unbooked, wait until after final payment date to book.

However, if you see the ship filling up before final payment, book then.

Princess' pricing and promos for the two cruises is what it is. But, pricing and promos change over time, sometimes up and sometimes down. Weeks 11/30. 12/7 and 12/14 are typically low season with better fares and promos. Check out the currently running All Inclusive Beverage Package promo.

A T.A. usually can provide pricing lower than the Princess direct fare, plus they can add some additional OBC. If you book two cruises b2b the T.A. may be able to offer additional incentives.

Advice, check Princess' fares & promos for your cruises, then contact the T.A. with info in hand.

Princess will not give you a discount on a B2B.

Work with a TA who can discount the cruises or give incentives.

The benefit of booking now, you will probably be able to get the same room both legs. Benefit of booking after payment is probably the price (low season) but it may or may not be difficult to find the same cabin for both cruises. It also depends on how picky you are. If you don't care where you are on the ship, it may be easy to do. But if you want a specific location, you may need to switch cabins. Just something to weigh. If you end up with 2 different cabins, they will help you switch cabins.

I always compare the cost and perks of booking one long cruise vs. two shorter cruises. With the various OBC Princess offers, it pays to check the results. We usually take longer cruises, so booking two legs usually gives us more OBC from things like Shareholder, FCC, and Loyalty. Neither of us is eligible for the Military OBC, but again on a longer cruise that also tends to favor booking multiple legs.

Princess used to give a two category upgrade for free when a B2B was booked, but that's been years ago. That time of year is the cheapest time to cruise. If there are a lot of cabins available, I suggest you wait to book. Price drops don't often happen immediately following final payment date (75 days pre-cruise), but usually 2-3 weeks after. And those should drop quite a bit if there is that kind of availability.

If the cruise is available as a logical booking (B2B booked with just one booking number), see which is cheaper. We seen it go either way. Sometimes there is a savings in the port charges (taxes and fees) with the logical booking because the embarkation city only charges one set of fees.

Thank you all for your wisdom. I will wait for the final payment date (plus 2-3 weeks as suggested). At that point I'll have my TA check where we stand, I can still check the costs of a b2b to see if its worth it...but I will have some options in hand.

Thanks Again for your advice!!!

Thank you all for your wisdom. I will wait for the final payment date (plus 2-3 weeks as suggested). At that point I'll have my TA check where we stand, I can still check the costs of a b2b to see if its worth it...but I will have some options in hand.

Just be aware the waiting until after final payment is not a sure thing:

The ship or the categories you want may sell out.

All the "good" cabins may be gone

Prices may go up, not down

That is certainly an option but I would consider this. You're going to spend a considerable sum regardless of whether you can get a discount or not. If you book now, you can get your choice of rooms and probably not have to change rooms. How much do you expect to save from this strategy and is it worth gambling and getting an inferior room, having to change rooms, etc? Remember, it is entirely possible that the prices may go up, you may not get what you want, and you will still have to pay more. Up to you.

That is certainly an option but I would consider this. You're going to spend a considerable sum regardless of whether you can get a discount or not. If you book now, you can get your choice of rooms and probably not have to change rooms. How much do you expect to save from this strategy and is it worth gambling and getting an inferior room, having to change rooms, etc? Remember, it is entirely possible that the prices may go up, you may not get what you want, and you will still have to pay more. Up to you.

These are cruises in an off season.

Chances of the prices going up are slim although that could happen.

Savings can be significant if ship is having a hard time selling out.

Edited by caribill

Another consideration you need to be aware of is the cost of getting between your home and the embarkation/disembarkation port. If you fly, the price of the airfare can go up considerably closer to your travel dates compared to booking flights well in advance. The longer you wait to book the fewer choices you will have for a seat on the plane and the cabin aboard ship.

It really all depends. I was able to get a discount doing a 14 day cruise for November/December 2016 on the Regal. I have heard though that sometimes purchasing them separate is the better deal. Never hurts to ask or do your own research.

It really all depends. I was able to get a discount doing a 14 day cruise for November/December 2016 on the Regal. I have heard though that sometimes purchasing them separate is the better deal. Never hurts to ask or do your own research.

Although initially that might be a better deal, if there are future price reductions on an individual segment, those who booked it that way usually cannot take advantage of that price reduction.

Well.........Good Points.

I think I will look into this some more.

One question...

How would I know if rooms that appear to be unsold are actually "unassigned guarantees"? Maybe the cruises are not as empty as they appear.

Would a TA have this information?

There is no way to know which cabins might in the future be assigned to GTY bookings.

If a cabin is listed as available to be booked, then anybody can book it.

Note that if a B2B can be booked separately or as a single cruise, some cabins may be only available when booked as a single cruise and would appear booked when looking at individual segments even though they are not booked yet.

The reverse is true and those cabins available for booking on individual segments booking will appear unavailable when looking at booking the B2B as a single booking.

This is done so those booking the B2B as a single booking can be sure of having the same cabin both segments.

Edited by caribill

No such thing as making a deal with Princess.

If you are the gambling type and there is a ton of availability you could wait to book until after final and see if you can score a better deal.

Not sure if you use a TA but it would probably be a good idea.