Sleeping w balcony propped open during Med cruise

Has anyone been on the Allure Mediterranean cruise this summer and slept w the balcony door propped open for the sound of the waves? I know the air won't work if the door isn't closed so I'm wondering if it gets too hot in the room if the door is open. I've always slept w the door open a crack as I love the white noise of the water... If it's too hot inside, has anyone actually slept on their balcony??

Has anyone been on the Allure Mediterranean cruise this summer and slept w the balcony door propped open for the sound of the waves? I know the air won't work if the door isn't closed so I'm wondering if it gets too hot in the room if the door is open. I've always slept w the door open a crack as I love the white noise of the water... If it's too hot inside, has anyone actually slept on their balcony??

if it is anything like it was a couple weeks ago, the humidity will be WAY too much and WAY too hot to do that. plus, leaving your door open causes all the other doors inside the area of the ship to become difficult to open after a time due to a vacuum type effect.

Ship engineers have told me that when a balcony door is open, it messes up the A/C for other nearby staterooms.

Yes! And keep in mind that some of those nearby staterooms could be ocean view or inside staterooms where they don't have an option to get air.

Please be considerate of your fellow cruisers! And the rules of the ship!!

I know the AC doesn't work when the balcony is open, that's why I asked. I had no idea propping it open could effect others comfort so thank you to those that mentioned that. Disappointed as it was one of my favorite things about having the balcony but I won't inconvenience others.

Ship engineers have told me that when a balcony door is open, it messes up the A/C for other nearby staterooms.

Don't see why if opening the door shuts it off. You would be the only cabin affected. The other cabins might work even better.

On other lines where the AC still works with the door open, I could see this affecting other cabins

Edited by SeaUs

DSC00008_zps4d058612.jpg

DSC00007_zpsc8b57d4c.jpg

I'm one to believe that if I was paying the bills for the energy of the ship, I'd post those signs too in an effort to reduce costs. But in reality, if the opening of one's balcony door effect the temperature of other rooms, that is a poor design by RCCL's engineers. It's probably why on the newer Aluure that they have devised a cut off switch, balcony door open = AC unit off.

We were on Liberty last Sept in the Med, for us, it was a tad too humid at night to have the door open, but nothing like a Caribbean cruise.

I'm one to believe that if I was paying the bills for the energy of the ship, I'd post those signs too in an effort to reduce costs. But in reality, if the opening of one's balcony door effect the temperature of other rooms, that is a poor design by RCCL's engineers. It's probably why on the newer Aluure that they have devised a cut off switch, balcony door open = AC unit off.

We were on Liberty last Sept in the Med, for us, it was a tad too humid at night to have the door open, but nothing like a Caribbean cruise.

But you ARE paying the energy bills in your cruise fare! As those bills increase, so will your cruise fare.

What you're hearing is the wind...not the sounds of "waves" which only happen on shore... Your open door affects the cooling or heating of the other cabins...just so you know!

While I appreciate the thought, I disagree. I hear the waves, or wake, or whatever you want to call the sound the ship makes moving through the water. I know what wind sounds like and that is not what I am referring to.

Again, I will reluctantly keep the door closed because I am a considerate ship mate. I will miss the soothing sounds though. No white noise app comes close.

What you're hearing is the wind...not the sounds of "waves" which only happen on shore... Your open door affects the cooling or heating of the other cabins...just so you know!

You are wrong

You do hear the waves (Ship going through the waves)

How can turning off the AC affect other cabins

Edited by SeaUs

Don't see why if opening the door shuts it off. You would be the only cabin affected. The other cabins might work even better.

On other lines where the AC still works with the door open, I could see this affecting other cabins

While on Oasis class the A/C shuts off when the door is open, this is not the case on other ships classes.

I know for a fact that on Vision class, Radiance class, Voyager class and Freedom class ships the A/C does not shut off when the balcony door is open.

The engineering behind the reason and whether we understand it or not is truly immaterial. To leave the balcony door open except for transiting is a violation of RCCL rules. Leave the door closed!

The engineering behind the reason and whether we understand it or not is truly immaterial. To leave the balcony door open except for transiting is a violation of RCCL rules. Leave the door closed!

Don't get nervous

You might want to refer back to the pictures in post 13. Sounds like more of a suggestion for your comfort than any steadfast rule

Besides the A/C issues with open balcony doors, there´s another reason to Keep the balcony doors closed - Fire safety. The Star Princess fire spread over the balconies and open balcony doors will make it easier for any fire to spread into cabins not even to talk about smoke getting inside.

The replies here are a little over the top.

Fire danger? Comfort of other staterooms?

Seriously, I think everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill here. To the OP, it will likely be too warm and humid to be comfortable. But by all means, feel free to try it. You won't be the only one. People leave their balcony doors open all the time.

This thread is nothing but a microcosm of this board in general. A lot of uptight people who love to sit in judgment of others...