Disturbing UDP Side-affects

biker@sea

Playing devil's advocate here - it really isn't other people's responsibility to make sure your children are safe or are not doing what they should or should not be doing.

More than that, it's not my responsibility to be a "good example" for anyone else's children.

More than that, it's not my responsibility to be a "good example" for anyone else's children.

Yes, it sort of is, actually. Leaving children out of the conversation: It's called consideration and manners and good citizenship. Your manners, your demeanor and habits do have an effect on other people (and the way you are perceived). If you are so hedonistic and selfish to be so inconsiderate to not clean after yourself, then you can expect the same behavior in return.

No, you can definitely not expect me to turn into a parenting debate because all its takes is less than 5 secs for a parent / guardian to have there back turn for a child to pick up a mudslide, alcoholic pina colada or anything in a elevator.....The things 6 year-olds & under will pick up and touch is scary....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm not worried about the younger kids. It's the teens wandering around the ship without their parents being able to find all that alcohol that is of concern to me.

Just off the Dawn.

I found it disturbing to see multiple full alcohol drinks left all over the ship every night.

Any kid can / could drink em. :eek:

Especially @ the elevators.

J.M.H.O.

I've seen that on most cruises. Slobs will be slobs...

However, the thing about kids drinking some strangers leftover... Have to disagree on that one. My kids are FAR from perfect. I'm sure have done and will continue to do stupid things. But drinking from a discarded glass. Where It could be anything in there. NOPE, they are not that dumb to take a risk like that.

Also, I have never seen a child pick out cigarette butts from the ash trays either and those are always around with half smoked cigs in them. YUK[emoji37]

Because of the UDP if I don't like the drink I wouldn't drink it. The UDP allows me to try everything on the bar menu that appeals to me. I do agree we should put the glasses in a place that young people can't access, excellent point that never crossed my mind.

Same here. I have been wanting to try a various amount of drinks on the ship, but never have because of the prices. Now that I have the UBP, I will be experimenting different kinds of drinks. If I don't like them, I'm surely not going to drink them for the sake of not wasting it.

But, I have never thought about people just laying down their drinks either (so glad this was posted). I will make it a point that if it's a drink I don't like, I will pour it out (in the bathroom or the sink in the cabin) before putting my glass down.

Thanks for this thread. :)

Really, how hard can it be? You pass a bar on almost every public deck. It can't be that difficult to stop in and set the glass at the end of the bar. As much as I don't like the "promotions," I don't think the UBP has anything to do with it. Just lazy, entitled people.

I have 3 boys ages 17,14 & 9, they would never pick up a glass & drink from it. They don't even drink from each other's glasses or anyone else's in the family. I taught them from day one never to drink or eat from someone else's plate or glass. Never know what germs they will get (a cold, a virus etc). I don't know how lazy people are leaving their glasses all over. It's not that difficult to leave at a bar or bring back to your cabin empty it in the sink & stack them for the cabin steward to grab while cleaning or bring them back to the bar when you leave your cabin. Even while walking around I'm sure there are enough responsible places to leave them or even empty them while in the bathrooms.

Yes, it sort of is, actually. Leaving children out of the conversation: It's called consideration and manners and good citizenship. Your manners, your demeanor and habits do have an effect on other people (and the way you are perceived). If you are so hedonistic and selfish to be so inconsiderate to not clean after yourself, then you can expect the same behavior in return.

The comment wasn't just about cleaning up after yourself. I try to leave my plates/glasses/etc in the appropriate place, so I'm not part of that problem.

Being a *good* example goes beyond polite behavior. Yes, I will behave appropriately, but on my vacation I'm going to let loose a bit.

Two thoughts:

1. The thought of an alcohol-desperate teenager looking for a buzz drinking a half consumed, ice melted, sat out in the sun for who knows how long cocktail makes me throw up in my mouth a little :eek:

2. I've seen this 'phenomenon' in literally every hotel with a bar I've ever stayed in. Including those that pay ridiculous hotel prices for drinks. Elevators, restrooms, tables in public areas, windowsills, etc. there are almost always strays left sitting around. It's even worse when the drinks are served in glass vs. plastic as even the lazy people don't want to put a glass in the trash.

I have left drink glasses in a lot of places on a ship. Especially since there are no designated areas where to put them.

I never left them in the elevator though so maybe I am not a complete slob.

And by the way if you finish the drink quick enough the melted ice cubes alone already look like half of a drink.

Why not just put the glass on any bar top instead of "in a lot of places on a ship". Surely that wouldn't be such an effort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow, I can respond in so many ways here and most of what I will say has already been addressed:

drinks water down pretty fast. I am not concerned about kids get drunk on watered down drinks. Parents teach them not to pick up candy from the floor or not to eat off of a plate left on a table at a buffet, I am sure most are taught not to pick up a drink.

Teens will find a way to drink if they want to bad enough, they are not going to depend on a few drinks left around. Worrying about kids picking up drinks is like worrying about kids checking ash trays for 1/2 smoked cigarettes.

I really doubt there has been much difference since the UBP went into effect. I think too many are looking for trouble that isn't even there. We might be more aware of the left beind drinks then we used to be, but I don't think this is anything or any of us to get worked up over.

Just off the Dawn.

I found it disturbing to see multiple full alcohol drinks left all over the ship every night.

J.M.H.O.

Your title says UDP side-effects, but I think you mean UBP -- beverage, not dining.

People have always left drinks around. It is not new with UBP.

Edited by NMLady

Just off the Dawn.

J.M.H.O.

Whoo-hoo. Free booze for me and I don't have to pay anything for it. :D

Some people tend to loose their minds on vacation. People who normally pick up after themselves think I'm on vacation, I'm not worried about throwing my trash out. The same people who might have a drink or two in a year at home will get sloppy stupid drunk

Idk about the first half, but I definitely agree with the second half. I am the kind of person who does not drink at all during the year except maybe one or two drinks but when I'm on a cruise it's balls to the wall hardcore fun

We usually take longer cruises to avoid large number of children onboard.(love kids but not on my vacation). The last 7 day cruise we took 2 years ago was loaded with teenagers. I could not believe how many kids were walking around drinking beers in the evening. I am talking 13-17 year olds. No one stopped them. Maybe this how they were getting them.

To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of unfinished drinks lying around the ship. Not saying it doesn't happen but I didn't notice it to be mush of an issue on my last cruise a few weeks ago. Also, Kids I know would never pick up someone else's drink and drink it. Im guessing you are referring to unsupervised teens?

To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of unfinished drinks lying around the ship. Not saying it doesn't happen but I didn't notice it to be mush of an issue on my last cruise a few weeks ago. Also, Kids I know would never pick up someone else's drink and drink it. Im guessing you are referring to unsupervised teens?

I too do not know many kids that would pick up an unfinished drink. When we have family gatherings I never see the grandkids looking around for a 1/2 drank beer or glass of wine. On, I take that back, we do have a picture of our great granddauther who is 6 months old trying to grab my wine glass a few weeks ago. I was holding her. We decided she is going to be just like her mom, grandma and great grandma.lol

When I was a kid, it was my job to clean up the kitchen, etc when my parents had company We did not have dish washers in those days. It would never had dawned on me to go around picking up and drinking out of the glasses as I cleaned up, nor would my kids have done that. Now when they were teens, I am sure there were times they got into the liquor cabinet, but never just pick up a glass and drink what was left.