Best meds for sea sickness

mommyto3nj

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I need help. I get seasick and I know going out in November on the BA from NYC will make me sick. Normally I wear the patch, but the last time I did, the patch caused sinus issues! So I'm scared to try that again.

Suggestions? I have the drink package and want some beers too so hopefully whatever you suggest doesn't interfere with alcohol :)

Gravol is what I use ..it is from Canada works great

There are 2 kinds ...natural with gingeror regular .I chop mine ...regular ....in 4 usually if I feel a bit queezy I take a quarter of one

The secret to not getting sick is to take something the minute you feel wierd .waiting should not be an option ......it just makes it worse

If you know soneone from Canada or if you can get it online you should ....

On ship ginger will help

Good luck

I too am like you and am leaving on BA from New York and was concerned taking a cruise from New York because I read it can be rough. I recently got back from a cruise from Seattle to Alaska and read that it can be a rough sailing too. I took Bonine once a day, had ginger pills as a backup and also elastic wrist bands. The Bonine worked very well and I didn't need the latter. Also I was able to drink alcohol without feeling any drowsiness.

Avomine is my recommended tablet, I don't get sea sick but family members do and I've recommended these to many people. Doesn't seem to cause any problems when taken with alcohol either.

One small tablet the day before the cruise and one each day, you'll be like Captain Birdseye.

On our first cruise to Alaska I got soooo sick . I tried many things but finally Meclazine was the only thing that worked . No side effects whatsoever. I always start taking it two days before we cruise and have not been seasick since ;) Amazon is where I purchased mine from . We cruise out of NYC Oct 11th can't wait !

Bonine doesn't generally cause drowsiness like other seasick meds. I've never had an issue using it and drinking alcohol like usual (which is a lot). If you buy the generic Meclizine it's much cheaper.

Totally agree with Bonine. And I do not monitor my alcohol at all. My husband has always taken Dramamine. He ran out last cruise and used Bonine. He is TOTALLY sold on it and prefers it now!

I get severe motion sickness. Like you said the patch works great but I don't like the side effects. My doctor gave me a prescription for Meclizine which is a generic for Bonine. Not everyone needs a prescription to get it. It works wonders and I don't leave home without it. On our last cruise we had the UBP and I was able to drink within reason, lol. I always make sure I eat too so that helps with the motion sickness. If you do get sick ask for green apples they do help. Buy Nauzene, it is an over the counter, it helps with nausea. Start taking the Meclizine at least four hours before you board and make sure to continue taking it. I usually leave myself a sticky note on the mirror so I don't forget to take it.

Sea Bands!!! They seem silly, but work amazingly!!! I used to lose a day and a half on each cruise due to sea sickness. By Dinner the second day i had my sea legs, but hated losing a full day and a half. I tried Dramamine, Bonine (Better than Dramamine), and finally the sea bands. The sea bands work for me 100% of the time. It is really unbelievable. They also work as a sea sickness stopper for me. Typically if you are already feeling sea sick the meds wont help so much as they prevent more than treat. If I start to get the feeling I can slap the sea bands on and it goes away completely in minutes. I HIGHLY recommend them.

If your sea sickness is very bad I would combine Bonine and sea bands. Start the Bonine 2-3 days before the trip starts, and keep it going as long as you need. Best of luck on your trip from a fell sea sickness sufferer.

6&8

I've taken Dramamine sparingly without issue. One prior to sailing on the Getaway and one prior to taking the excursion boat to Tortola also sucked a ginger drop, no issues on a 7 day cruise. Nephew and mother took nothing and choose not to wear the bands.

I just looked at the Dramamine tube, no alcohol disclaimer on the package.

DO NOT USE THE PATCH--way too many side effects

Bonine (or generic) works great, and they give it out at guest services. We both take it, and drink like fishes when using it. Every time, every trip.

Pretzels (at buffet) are delish, but also help a lot (something about the baking soda or something like that in it) and also green apples or ginger help.

Safe sailing

Bonine doesn't generally cause drowsiness like other seasick meds. I've never had an issue using it and drinking alcohol like usual (which is a lot). If you buy the generic Meclizine it's much cheaper.

regular meclizine with no additives is best. I get it from wallmart for under $2 for the whole week. on the ship its $2 to $3 for one pack. And you can drink with it.

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I need help. I get seasick and I know going out in November on the BA from NYC will make me sick. Normally I wear the patch, but the last time I did, the patch caused sinus issues! So I'm scared to try that again.

Suggestions? I have the drink package and want some beers too so hopefully whatever you suggest doesn't interfere with alcohol :)

You need to consult your health care provider- who KNOWS your history. The "recommendations" from this random board, don't know anything about you. ANYTHING ingested- can have side effects- Over the counter isn't the answer for everyone.