Gratuities

dolphin1965

Hi everyone I'd like a bit of advise on gratuities, I've just come off the allure amazing ship, we paid for gratuities in advance but still given envelope in our room. We have now booked again for the Harmony next year. My question is as I've heard lots of things on this subject is if you don't pay your gratuities up front as it says on the website you can pay in cash, do royal Caribbean charge the tips to your room daily (not for buying things on board) and bill you at the end or are you able to pay who you want at the end of the trip with the envelopes provided in your state room, I'm still new to cruising so could do with the advise, it's not I don't want to pay it is about who I feel has gone the extra mile on our trip. I know staff get paid minimum wage but this is really a downfall on the cruise company, this is why these gratuities are usually put in place, could really do with knowing what royal Caribbean actually do if you don't pay up front as don't want to be left with a massive bill, thanks for your advise in advance Denise

Edited by dolphin1965

could really do with knowing what royal Caribbean actually do if you don't pay up front as don't want to be left with a massive bill, thanks for your advise in advance Denise

Denise,

The short answer is they will bill your gratuities daily and they will show up on the Cabin TV then in your SuperBill at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

Royal will automatically bill standard gratuities to your onboard account on a daily basis. These cover your stateroom attendant and helpers, and dining staff.

However, you can go to Guest Services at any time and modify or discontinue the standard gratuities and pay in cash at the end.

Edited by clarea

Thanks Bob that is what Thomas Cook told us as a rep did the same but some one we know who goes on royal Caribbean said we should pay up front. Thomas Cook said we don't have to pay and can opt to pay cash and cancel the auto charge daily. Obviously we will be paying tips but we would like to pay the people who have done a lot for us in person, we are not being right but why should a child have to pay as at the end of the day it is the parent who pays out so a double whammy as they eat with us and only get their own food and drink at night in the teen club, I don't think they should add on for kids but that is my opinion but I think it's a fare one as in uk again the parents pay the tips not the kids

Thanks Dee

Every person sailing should pay tips....even if it's a "double whammy" for the parents. I mean, when you go out to dinner, you tip on the entire bill (including what the kids eat that costs you extra), or when you tip porters for taking your bags, you tip for the kids bags, too....same thing on a ship!

Thanks Bob that is what Thomas Cook told us as a rep did the same but some one we know who goes on royal Caribbean said we should pay up front. Thomas Cook said we don't have to pay and can opt to pay cash and cancel the auto charge daily. Obviously we will be paying tips but we would like to pay the people who have done a lot for us in person, we are not being right but why should a child have to pay as at the end of the day it is the parent who pays out so a double whammy as they eat with us and only get their own food and drink at night in the teen club, I don't think they should add on for kids but that is my opinion but I think it's a fare one as in uk again the parents pay the tips not the kids

Thanks Dee

This is an argument brought up here at least several times a year. The daily gratuity amount they charge you is per guest, per day. Your children are guests too :)

Edited by ryano

Here is the US kids not only have to pay their own tips but their cruise fare as well. Why do you think there are so many lemonade stands? We're wicked that way:p.

On a serious note, I don't know about anyone elses kid but, my kid is way spoilier than DH or me. Why shouldn't tips be paid for kids?

Hi everyone I'd like a bit of advise on gratuities, I've just come off the allure amazing ship, we paid for gratuities in advance but still given envelope in our room. We have now booked again for the Harmony next year. My question is as I've heard lots of things on this subject is if you don't pay your gratuities up front as it says on the website you can pay in cash, do royal Caribbean charge the tips to your room daily (not for buying things on board) and bill you at the end or are you able to pay who you want at the end of the trip with the envelopes provided in your state room, I'm still new to cruising so could do with the advise, it's not I don't want to pay it is about who I feel has gone the extra mile on our trip. I know staff get paid minimum wage but this is really a downfall on the cruise company, this is why these gratuities are usually put in place, could really do with knowing what royal Caribbean actually do if you don't pay up front as don't want to be left with a massive bill, thanks for your advise in advance Denise

The daily gratuity charge, is the same amount as the pre-paid. $12.95 USD per person / per day gratuity or Suite Guests $15.95 USD pp/pd.

As Bob said you can turn it off at guest services and pay cash if you want. The 'WOW' envelopes left in your cabin are if you want to tip someone extra for going above and beyond.

As for gratuity for children/toddlers has been an on going discussion. The room attendant still cleans up the child's area/stuff. Picks up the towels, empties the trash, wipes down the shower/tub...

I am also from the UK so I understand about tipping here but you must remember that when you say they get paid a minimum wage it is nothing like minimum wage in the UK, its probably more like $50 a month. We always prepay our gratuities when we pay our cruise balance, we don't even count them as tips as such, just part of the cruise cost then we can tip in cash for outstanding service onboard if we feel like it.

As for not paying tips for children I disagree with you, when our son was little I always felt that the staff went above and beyond to make him feel special and certainly deserved to be paid for their efforts. In fact sometimes we even used to tip the staff in the kids clubs because they were so good. Unfortunately being a parent means you pay for your kids, it goes with the job, our son is 21 now and in his final year at uni and we're still paying:)

Julie

. The room attendant still cleans up the child's area/stuff. Picks up the towels, empties the trash, wipes down the shower/tub...

And the waiters still serve them, clean up after them etc and so forth. I cant understand why anyone would think children (well the parents) should not have to pay their gratuities? :confused: Especially teens! Ive been torn in the past on whether or not toddlers should be charged but they make messes and have crappy diapers to dispose of too so I say yes.

As for not paying tips for children I disagree with you, when our son was little I always felt that the staff went above and beyond to make him feel special and certainly deserved to be paid for their efforts. In fact sometimes we even used to tip the staff in the kids clubs because they were so good. Unfortunately being a parent means you pay for your kids, it goes with the job, our son is 21 now and in his final year at uni and we're still paying:)

Julie

Agree with you 100%. We always paid the tips for our kids regardless of whether they were the 3rd/4th in our cabin or in their own. As a matter of fact we usually ended up tipping more for them with all he cabin steward, waiters, etc did for them. It always amazes me when people feel they don't need to include the tips for their children. They are passengers who are using the ships facilities just like everyone else.

Thanks Dee

Doesn't matter who is actually paying the bill - those kids get the same level of service all around (probably more, actually) as the adults. If you can't afford to take your kids and pay their fare AND their gratuities, maybe you should leave them home. Harsh? Yes - and it was intended to be. Those members of the crew who serve you work very hard, long hours for very little pay. To deprive them of some of that well-earned pay is just horrendous in my book.

This is how it works - if you remove the daily charge because you choose to pay in cash (even if you do pay the recommended amount - which it appears you have no intention of doing), they must turn that in immediately so that it can be distributed amongst ALL servers. If, however, you pay the daily charge (either in advance or onboard), they get their distribution. Then, if you want to reward further those who have gone above and beyond for you in cash, they can keep that extra amount.

It's not my problem that the cruise companies do not pay their employees well. So I have to?

I understand what you're saying, but customers pay employees wages any way you look at it, for all products and services. If the company pays higher wages the cost of the product goes up, whether its cruises or shopping at Wal Mart. Instead of gratuities you'd just be paying more to cruise.

Of course if you think cruise lines wage policies are exploitative you have the option not to support this industry and vacation elsewhere. We all have to follow our consciences in that regard. I choose to pay the grats and give additional where warranted and I'm comfortable that is fair compensation for the employees.

This old Gratuities Apple again.

Here's a thought, why not remove the name Gratuities. And increase the fare to cover staff for a fair income.

That way Cruise company should or will pay a fair wage.

And then we can tip for excellent service.

I think gratuities on a bill, are a crock, for company to get out of paying a fair wage to staff. Tipping is for excellent service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know staff get paid minimum wage... it's not I don't want to pay it is about who I feel has gone the extra mile on our trip

The staff gets paid $1-$2 per hour, and its hard for me to imagine service that didn't warrant "something" beyond that. You shouldn't be thinking of your experience in terms of "which one or two (or four) staff members really stood out, you should be thinking about it in terms what would your experience have been like without all those others. Together, they make up a hospitality team that works very hard to make sure that you enjoy yourself. The cash envelopes are for you to use in addition to the recommended gratuities, not in lieu of them.

It's not my problem that the cruise companies do not pay their employees well. So I have to?

What difference does it make? You pay RCCL, they pay their staff, right? Either A) You pay more upfront and get an all inclusive line like Regents Seven Seas, or B) you piece it out the way that RCCL does. Of course, RSS is more expensive, since the gratuities and the shore excursions and the drink packages are all bundled. Its honestly your call which buisness model you prefer, but imo, choosing the gratuity-based-employment line and then using the "not my problem" argument is pretty weak.

why should a child have to pay as at the end of the day

Hypothetically, lets say you take your kid up to the buffet. The buffet is staffed, ready to serve, is it not? Lets say you take your kid to the MDR. It is staffed, ready to serve, is it not? Let's say you take your kid to the hot-dog stand. It is staffed, ready to serve, is it not? Does your kid sleep in a bed? When you go on a cruise, you aren't contracting with a taxi cab. There is not one person who assists you. You are contracting with an entire floating hotel, staffed with people who are ready to serve as a team. That is where your gratuities go, and that is why your kid should pay. Because, whether he uses those services(independently) or not (and if he is getting his own dinner at the teen club, I imagine he is using some) those services have been made available.

I am also from the UK so I understand about tipping here but you must remember that when you say they get paid a minimum wage it is nothing like minimum wage in the UK, its probably more like $50 a month

Probably more like $250... before tax and whatnot. But to be fair, they also get free room and board, food, etc. Its not the worst deal ever offered by a Nigerian corporation, that's for sure.

This old Gratuities Apple again.

Here's a thought, why not remove the name Gratuities. And increase the fare to cover staff for a fair income.

That way Cruise company should or will pay a fair wage.

And then we can tip for excellent service.

I think gratuities on a bill, are a crock, for company to get out of paying a fair wage to staff. Tipping is for excellent service

I actually agree with this sentiment... And I'd like to underscore it.

Tipping is for excellent service.

Employees should be paid a fair wage, and employers should demand very, very good service by default. They (employers) are as dependent on my satisfaction and goodwill as the bartender at the schooner, so by god in heaven, why on earth should there be an expectation of a gratuity? It should be a gift, if warranted, and nothing more. Service that harms the employer-customer relationship shouldn't be punished with a loss of a $5 tip, it should be punished with termination. Period.

That said, this is the way it is done. Its the custom in the US and aboard these ships. Do you go to the middle east and refuse to wash your feet? Refusing to pay your gratuity because you feel that RCCL is exploiting the custom punishes nobody but the staff...who RCCL clearly cares very, very deeply for...(sarcasm.)

If you want to protest the policy, write them a letter; Create a petition on change.org. maybe they'll change, maybe they won't, but either way, you aren't being noble by refusing to pay and playing the king bigshot with $60 bucks in cash on a 9 night cruise. That won't change RCCLs policies, and it won't help your cause.

Edited by Diplomacy

Agree and always pay Gratuities, but was just pointing out how these companies really do their employees a dishonour really.

If I give a steward a tip at the end of a cruise its for his excellence and shouldn't be pooled and then divided up between all staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree and always pay Gratuities, but was just pointing out how these companies really do their employees a dishonour really.

If I give a steward a tip at the end of a cruise its for his excellence and shouldn't be pooled and then divided up between all staff.

Supposedly, it's not. At least according to this thread.

This is how it works - if you remove the daily charge because you choose to pay in cash (even if you do pay the recommended amount - which it appears you have no intention of doing), they must turn that in immediately so that it can be distributed amongst ALL servers. If, however, you pay the daily charge (either in advance or onboard), they get their distribution. Then, if you want to reward further those who have gone above and beyond for you in cash, they can keep that extra amount.

Now, I don't know if this is correct, or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were... And if it is, I feel it is probably the best possible policy that RCCL could put in place (you know, short of a policy of paying their employees upfront and not having grats at all.) Any other policy would lead to generally severe negative consequences.

Edited by Diplomacy