Royal Princess Questions

nautica34

This will be our 1st cruise on Princess, going on Royal. Have some questions, thanks in advance:

Do pool and beach towels needed to checked out?

What type of shampoo and conditioner are provided in an inside cabin (standard in the shower dispenser or bottles what are better in quality)?

Aside from water, coffee and tea, what beverages are available during the day at no extra charge?

How strict is Princess with bringing water and soda on board (a few sealed bottles of each)?

Is the MDR open for lunch on Embarkation Day and port days?

Does the MDR lunch menu rotate on sea days?

Do evening shows need to be pre-booked? -

This will be our 1st cruise on Princess, going on Royal. Have some questions, thanks in advance:

Do pool and beach towels needed to checked out? No. There should be beach towels in your cabin and you can get more at the pools.

What type of shampoo and conditioner are provided in an inside cabin (standard in the shower dispenser or bottles what are better in quality)? All cabins other than full suites have two dispensers in the shower, one for bath gel and one for a shampoo/conditioner. DW brings her own.

Aside from water, coffee and tea, what beverages are available during the day at no extra charge? A wide choice of fruit juices during breakfast hours and lemonade during the rest of the day. On the Royal and the Regal there are also hot chocolate dispensers in the Horizon Court.

How strict is Princess with bringing water and soda on board (a few sealed bottles of each)? Princess has no restrictions regarding bringing water or soda on board.

Is the MDR open for lunch on Embarkation Day and port days? One MDR should be available from noon until 1:30 on embarkation day. MDR is closed on port days except for a rare port day with a late arrival or early departure.

Does the MDR lunch menu rotate on sea days? There will be a different menu each day.

Do evening shows need to be pre-booked? There is no pre-booking of evening shows. You may need to get to certain shows as much as 30 minutes prior to the start of the show for a good seat.

See above. Edited by IECalCruiser
  • Like 1

NO, and there should be 2 in your cabin. Just ask Stewart for more if you want. We always keep an additional 2 so we are ready for any situation and when we go ashore. Towels are available on Lido Deck - just pick and take.

What type of shampoo and conditioner are provided in an inside cabin (standard in the shower dispenser or bottles what are better in quality)?

Aside from water, coffee and tea, what beverages are available during the day at no extra charge?

How strict is Princess with bringing water and soda on board (a few sealed bottles of each)?

They are pretty easy going with it. No charge. I'd try to bring something less than a skid, however. ;)

ONE of the DR's is open for a short time on Embarkation Day. Usually a mid-ship one (check Patter or ask a crew member). I don't think so on Port Days.

Can't answer - don't go there. It would rotate though. Watch for Pub Lunch. So many choices, including Alfredo's (some ships), International Cafe (some ships), etc.

Do evening shows need to be pre-booked?

You cannot pre-book any shows. First come; first to get seats. Usually some SRO at the back.

-

zzz

Edited by steelers36

Do pool and beach towels needed to checked out?No. You will have blue and white striped towels in your stateroom. Your cabin steward will swap them out for you.

What type of shampoo and conditioner are provided in an inside cabin (standard in the shower dispenser or bottles what are better in quality)?You will have the standard wall dispensers.

Aside from water, coffee and tea, what beverages are available during the day at no extra charge?Water from the pitcher, coffee, and tea are included and available all day. Lemonaid is also available. The coffee is the type made from concentrated syrup, so if you want brewed coffee, you may want to consider a coffee card.

How strict is Princess with bringing water and soda on board (a few sealed bottles of each)?You may bring as much water and soda as you wish. If you purchase a case of soda, you can slap a luggage sticker on it, and hand it over with your checked luggage. It will be delivered to your room.

Is the MDR open for lunch on Embarkation Day and port days?There is one MDR open on embarkation day from 11:30 to 1:00 (or something close to that. They will attempt to send you to the buffett, but stand your ground! The MDR is almost always closed for lunch on port days, but there are occasional exceptions.

Does the MDR lunch menu rotate on sea days?Yes. There is a different menu every day at lunch.

Do evening shows need to be pre-booked? - Nope. First come. First seated.

there is Whole and Skim. I've been known to mix the two.

I do that too, as we use 2% at home so I figure 1.5% is close enough.

Tomato juice (& maybe v-8?) is free for breakfast, then after 11-ish there is a charge.

We are just off the Royal this morning. I had packed lightly and for once decided that I would use the shampoo and conditioner on the ship. At the first port I bought my own. I am not sure if it was just me but the shampoo/conditioner did not smell nice and appeared to have not be used in a while.

Enjoy your cruise

I would bring my own shampoo and conditioner, Princess stuff is not very good!

Think you have received answers to the rest of your questions, so all I can do is wish you a wonderful cruise! We love the Royal Princess, I would strongly recommend going to Alfredo's sooner rather than later (no surcharge). It is a nice little Italian bistro with yummy pizza, salads, etc.. We have our embarkation lunch there!

As an alternative to the buffet or the MDR you can also enjoy Alfredo's on deck 6 which serves excellent pizza and salads . It is sit-down and there is no cover charge . Excellent !

One other tip is that twice a day a specific bar offers 2 for 1's on all drinks . They must be the same drink . (I assume this hasn't changed). Great deal .

Someone posted that the coffee not good , it is syrup. On the Royal however, not syrup, it is good and brewed coffee in the machines at Horizon Ct.. We do have coffee cards because I like to get specialty coffees.

You will love the Royal Princess.

Edited by san diego sue

It has been reported that Princess has gone to buy one drink at regular price and buy the second one for $1 during their one hour happy hour that occurs twice a day. It still is a great deal and the alcohol on the ship is reasonable for a bar/restaurant.

Someone commented on the dispensers on the wall of the shower. I would guess that everyone has learned to bring their own shampoo and cleanser except the newbies of course. We have not used their offerings in a long time.

Alfredo's is great and I would recommend it. We did Alfredo's when we boarded the Royal. They were not very busy as most did not realize it was open. Asking the crew which MDR is open for lunch is haphazard as we have been told many times no MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day. We just checked both midship MDR and found one open each time. So don't believe them about the MDR, go look for yourself.

Your cabin fridge (ok, cooler) will be stocked with several types of water, beer, soda and liquor. You can move that out if you need to store your own stuff but make sure it is visible - they will charge for any of this you use.

I use the bar soap and shampoo. My wife brings her own. Be careful bending over - dispensers are not at a good height.

Do evening shows need to be pre-booked? -

I think most people shop for the shampoo that is best for their hair. We all have different needs in shampoo. For instance, I need a shampoo that is formulated for thin hair and has no conditioner in it. Others need shampoo for oily or dry hair. Princess has one kind for all. For some it might be fine, for others not. I always bring my own.

If you have sensitive skin, you might want to bring your own soap. The soap supplied by Princess is adequate for us.

• 7 years later...
On 7/6/2023 at 5:07 PM, hinterlandboyz2 said:

Hello. My partner and I will be on the Royal Princess April of 2024. Our question is this, with the  balcony staterooms is there a power outlet (socket) on both or one side of the bed? 

Not in the Royal's Deluxe Balcony I had on Riveria deck. I was expecting the side table lamps to have USB outlets like the modern sister ships ( i.e . Discovery) and was very disappointed. 

In fact no USB in the cabin at all and no outlets (easily accessible) near the beds. Luckily I brought along a multi-plug and used the outlet near the desk.

2-Pack Multi Plug Outlet Extender... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BM4FWCZK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

HTH, Steve

Hello DVC Calif. Many thanks for your message it is was very much appreciated. We have problems down this end of the planet being that when one goes through security at the cruise terminal I have noticed on many occasions Multi board plug outlets are being confiscated from passengers and these Multi boards do not have the Power Surge switch, which I know cruise companies will not allowed on board.

No worries mate. I recall cabin stewards this side also confiscating power strip with surge protectors. That's why we switched to multi-plugs and have not had issues.

If you need a power source bedside, you might need to use a USB Power Bank that you can keep bedside.

The Royal is a lovely ship, but considering it was built 2013, needs a few modern upgrades. I would have thought this would have been done during the shutdown when they added MedallionClass through the ship but obviously not.

Cheers, Steve