Premium drinks package no good for balcony drinkers??

PrincessPete

Sorry if this question has been asked in the past – have trawled through without success to try and find the answer!!

I am interested in purchasing the Premium Drinks Package for my wife and I as we drink a lot of coffees/soft drinks during the day and a reasonable amount of the hard stuff in the late afternoon/evenings.

However, there seems to me a big question mark for us over the value of the package………………the reason is that we do spend a lot of time in the cabin during the late afternoon/early evening as we love sitting on the balcony before heading off for a late dinner. That time in the cabin is our main drinking time in addition to wine etc at dinner.

As I understand it drinks from the mini-bar are not included in the Premium package and therefore to have drinks in our cabin “paid for” by the package we would have to collect them from a bar. It would be rather annoying to have to make repeat trips to the bar during our 3 hours or so in the cabin/balcony.

Probably half our drinking is done in the cabin so it does seem to me the benefits of the Premium package would be lost if we had to pay for those drinks from the mini bar – as above, I appreciate I could keep going to a bar but that would rather impinge on our relaxing on the balcony.

Sorry if this seems a minor point to many but I would be most interested in any comments as to whether I am missing anything here.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Peter

Just out of curiosity, does the "mini bar" hold enough liquor for 3 hours of daily drinking for two people? I have never been on a cruise with Celebrity, only Royal Caribbean, where there is no alcohol stocked in the mini bar. And, if it did, would it not get very expensive!

Just out of curiosity, does the "mini bar" hold enough liquor for 3 hours of daily drinking for two people? I have never been on a cruise with Celebrity, only Royal Caribbean, where there is no alcohol stocked in the mini bar. And, if it did, would it not get very expensive!

The mini bar is stocked with those little mini bottles of booze. It would be ridiculously expensive if you went through all those bottles and kept replenishing. Plus if you use mixers, they charge you for them if you take from mini bar even though you are on drink plan

Depends on how much you'll drink in three hours.

Sorry if this question has been asked in the past – have trawled through without success to try and find the answer!!

I am interested in purchasing the Premium Drinks Package for my wife and I as we drink a lot of coffees/soft drinks during the day and a reasonable amount of the hard stuff in the late afternoon/evenings.

However, there seems to me a big question mark for us over the value of the package………………the reason is that we do spend a lot of time in the cabin during the late afternoon/early evening as we love sitting on the balcony before heading off for a late dinner. That time in the cabin is our main drinking time in addition to wine etc at dinner.

As I understand it drinks from the mini-bar are not included in the Premium package and therefore to have drinks in our cabin “paid for” by the package we would have to collect them from a bar. It would be rather annoying to have to make repeat trips to the bar during our 3 hours or so in the cabin/balcony.

Probably half our drinking is done in the cabin so it does seem to me the benefits of the Premium package would be lost if we had to pay for those drinks from the mini bar – as above, I appreciate I could keep going to a bar but that would rather impinge on our relaxing on the balcony.

Sorry if this seems a minor point to many but I would be most interested in any comments as to whether I am missing anything here.

Peter

You just need to stock pile some drinks in your fridge. We always ask for the fridge to be emptied when we board. Then when we are returning to our cabin for any reason, we go via a bar and pick up a couple of drinks and pop them in the fridge for later. Do this 2 or 3 times in the day and you then have plenty for the early evening balcony session. You can then always decant the wine or spirits into an old water bottle, if you are worried about knocking them over. If we run out, one of us goes to the closest bar with both cards and brings the drinks back. Enjoy .......

It would be rather annoying to have to make repeat trips to the bar during our 3 hours or so in the cabin/balcony.

I appreciate I could keep going to a bar but that would rather impinge on our relaxing on the balcony.

Peter

IMHO, the thing missing is the number of additional employees that would be needed if very many fellow pax wanted to not be "impinge on our relaxing". The price of the cruise would soar.

The answer is to open the wallet and book one of the top suites that have a private butler that is at your beckon an call. It cost more to have a 'fetch it person' and not be "impinged" upon.

Question? Have the other lines you sailed on provided in cabin cocktail service?

Edited by wallie5446

Peter

I assume that on cruises that where you do not have a package you use a lot of drinks from the minibar or room service? I never do so it my experience may not apply to you.

I take both our cards to a bar and bring back two drinks for us to enjoy. I also have the minibar emptied and store water and beer unopened to drink. I do not find it inconvenient to go to a bar to get drinks for our cabin whenever required. Not a whole lot different than coming inside my house from the patio or deck to mix a drink. As I said even without a package I would go to a bar.

IMO you are making too big of a deal of the fact that you have to travel to a bar to get your balcony drink. Unless of course you are handicapped and then I can understand your concern. Try it you might be surprised.

P.S. Has you know one of your favorite cruise lines, Princess, does not even have mini bar service. Of course I guess you can use room service.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jagoffee

Thank you for (most of) the replies – I had expected a few comments along the lines of “additional employees” and “making too big a deal of the fact that you might have to travel to a bar” as they seem par for the course on this and other forums!

Just to answer a couple of them………………. there is no way I would expect anyone to go and get a drink for me from the bar, even a Butler, so the question of “additional employees” and the suggestion of “cruises prices soaring” does not apply………………..”the big deal” is that if I am sitting in a swimming costume on the balcony it is a pain to get decently dressed to walk to the bar.

On that basis the replies that were intended to be helpful have indeed been exactly that and I am most grateful. Never having a drinks package previously I had not thought in my ignorance of going to a bar and asking for an UNopened beer, wrongly assuming they would just open it there and then………..I had also not thought of asking for the minibar to be emptied to leave space. So therefore a perfect solution and thank you to those posters. After all, paying $154 per day for the two of us I think it is reasonable to explore all avenues for getting your money’s worth!

The questions asked was “Have the other lines you sailed on provided in cabin cocktail service?” Not sure if that was a serious question or an attempt at humour but my answer is “I have no idea” – I do not know if Butlers provide that service (ie: going to the Bar to get a drink - as opposed to assisting at a cabin party which is a different matter altogether) but, as above, I would certainly never ask anyone to do so and would consider it quite unreasonable to ask.

As far as the mention of Princess Cruises - they do have fridges in the cabins but they are only stocked (as a mini-bar) on a complimentary basis for “Elite” Captain’s Circle members or if you buy a package.

Thanks again for the helpful tips.

Thank you for (most of) the replies – I had expected a few comments along the lines of “additional employees” and “making too big a deal of the fact that you might have to travel to a bar” as they seem par for the course on this and other forums!

Just to answer a couple of them………………. there is no way I would expect anyone to go and get a drink for me from the bar, even a Butler, so the question of “additional employees” and the suggestion of “cruises prices soaring” does not apply………………..”the big deal” is that if I am sitting in a swimming costume on the balcony it is a pain to get decently dressed to walk to the bar.

On that basis the replies that were intended to be helpful have indeed been exactly that and I am most grateful. Never having a drinks package previously I had not thought in my ignorance of going to a bar and asking for an UNopened beer, wrongly assuming they would just open it there and then………..I had also not thought of asking for the minibar to be emptied to leave space. So therefore a perfect solution and thank you to those posters. After all, paying $154 per day for the two of us I think it is reasonable to explore all avenues for getting your money’s worth!

The questions asked was “Have the other lines you sailed on provided in cabin cocktail service?” Not sure if that was a serious question or an attempt at humour but my answer is “I have no idea” – I do not know if Butlers provide that service (ie: going to the Bar to get a drink - as opposed to assisting at a cabin party which is a different matter altogether) but, as above, I would certainly never ask anyone to do so and would consider it quite unreasonable to ask.

As far as the mention of Princess Cruises - they do have fridges in the cabins but they are only stocked (as a mini-bar) on a complimentary basis for “Elite” Captain’s Circle members or if you buy a package.

Thanks again for the helpful tips.

Learned something new. I missed the fact that Princess will stock the mini bar if you purchase a package. I am very surprised about this. Is that on all ships? I had a drink package on the Royal Princess in July 2014 and the mini bar was not mentioned. Are you sure about what you say about the free on request mini bar with the Princess drink package?

Princess was very strict and required me to sign a different receipt for both cards when I went to get drinks to enjoy on our balcony. You should find the fact that you do not need to sign a receipt on Celebrity more convenient.

Since the drinks in general are much more expensive on Celebrity than Princess you should get more value with the package. Princess drinks are priced so low I would not bother getting a package on Princess next time.

The fact that you can just pay the difference in price with the premium package an opportunity to try more higher end beers, wines, and drinks. (Much more expansive list than Princess)

We always enjoy our premium package on Celebrity.

I hope you enjoy yours.

I also enjoy balcony time with a touch of my favorite grape. And I can understand your concern.

I usually bring a bottle of my favorite white wine. Drink that and then I'll add to it as the cruise goes on.

I actually put "small funnel" on my packing list!

"Storing up" drinks in the fridge will work for some drinks, but not others. Glasses of the same wine can be poured into an empty bottle. Beer can remain unopened. Certain "on the rocks" cocktails can be made without the ice which you can add in your room. Other drinks need to be made fresh to enjoy.

Doing drink runs will be up to DH...if needed.;)

Edited by eandj

Thank you Jagoffee – and an apology as I think the fully stocked mini-bar on our last Princess Cruises trip (Diamond Princess) was because we were in a suite, I was getting confused with an earlier cruise. I think Jagoffee is right that (like Celebrity) the Princess Cruises mini bar is regarded as a separate matter and not included in the drinks package – obviously in PH and RS on Celebrity the mini bar is included as per in the top suites on Princess.

Thanks also to the latest posting from Muushka referring to packing a “small funnel”. Another very useful tip!

These forums work so much better when people restrict themselves to genuine questions, however trivial they may seem – and helpful comments without the barbed comments and sarcasm. Or perhaps it is a different kind of humour with different nationalities? (I ran training courses before I retired and I always said to delegates, “there is no such thing as a stupid question if you do not know the answer”)

Sometimes I would just like the quiet of my balcony and a few drinks. I agree running to the bar would be a pita. Maybe even order dinner for the balcony and enjoy an evening with my husband. i am going to look up and see where the nearest bar is from my balcony!!!:D

Question? Have the other lines you sailed on provided in cabin cocktail service?

Carnival room service will deliver drinks. But I don't think they are included in the Cheers! package price, room service is extra. The mini-bar prices also don't seem out of line with drink prices on the ship, at least not to the extent that I expect mini-bar mark up.

Of course, room service delivery doesn't help if you are relaxing on the balcony. You'd have to be inside to hear the knock.

My only Celebrity experience it was no problem to walk to a bar for each drink- the ship was so small, there wasn't far to go :)

But if most drinking will take place in the cabin, it seems ordering a bottle service (whatever Celebrity calls it) set up for the room, rather than the drinks package, makes more sense.

Edited by skittl1321

You can order cocktails from room service on Celebrity also. But they are not included with drink plan.

Also on Princess, if you have status, even an inside cabin, one of the perks is free mini bar. My mom doesn't drink much so they allow her to trade that in for 2 coffee cards.

Edited by Got2Cruise

Hi Pete, understand the wet swimming trunks issue, but

when you decide its relaxation time put on your shorts

Walk down to a bar get a drink, go back again get a drink and relax

That's why I love deck 6 6240 so near the cafe albaccio 😱👍🏻

Remember that you can bring onboard two bottles of wine. Our cabin also leaves us a bottle of sparkling wine that I exchange for a red.

This leaves three bottles to enjoy on your balcony without the need to get dressed. This usually lasts us for a day. :D