Heard Suggesting Now Calling the MDR a Restaurant

MCFTJCH2V

From JH's postings, it sounds like the beards are fairly young now. They want to change things.

It's supposed to be stateroom now instead of cabin.

Now they want restaurant instead of dining room.

Most of the time I still call the Customer Service Desk the Purser.

I don't know why it is, but when I worked in banking, every time we got a new supervisor, their first order of business was to change the name of the department.

Silly beards.

Definition of restaurant:

a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.

Definition of dining room:

a room where meals are eaten

What if you order from the "Steakhouse Steak" in the MDR? Is it then a restaurant ;)

I think it's a distinction without a difference :)

Even when they change names, sometimes they don't stick. Last week on the Breeze, my kids still went to Camp Carnival and that's what everyone from the Cruise Director on down called it, even though the name and signage has changed to Camp Ocean.

Even when they change names, sometimes they don't stick. Last week on the Breeze, my kids still went to Camp Carnival and that's what everyone from the Cruise Director on down called it, even though the name and signage has changed to Camp Ocean.

...and we all call it Anytime Dining when right on the card it says My Time Dining.

The Carnival Beards suggested this to John. He asked for people opinions. The vast majority still think it is the main dining room as do I. The Steakhouse that you pay for on the ship is a restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The MDR will now be called >>>>>>Mickey D's

I'm just wondering why it matters what the venue is called? Who cares? Regardless what it is called, you go to the venue. You order your meal from the wait team. They bring it. Sometimes they dance and sing. You leave when you finish your meal.

Edited by nchikk

A restaurant sounds like a place where you will be presented with a bill at the end of your meal, and a dining room sounds more like you are a guest. Hope this isn't foreshadowing of what's to come.

I hope not either but you may be on to something. When the beards ask JH to sniff around and suss out the masses change is often just down the pier.

Edited by AHS123

Silly beards.

Definition of restaurant:

a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.

Definition of dining room:

a room where meals are eaten

So the MDR is technically a restaurant too, since you pay to eat in there as part of your cruise fare.

Didn't I read somewhere that part of the point of American Table was to make it feel more like a restaurant? I'm assuming that someone just thinks "restaurant" sounds more appealing and less old-fashioned than "dining room." I don't think it means they'll start charging separately for the MDR. The day that happens is the day I stop cruising.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

Didn't I read somewhere that part of the point of American Table was to make it feel more like a restaurant? I'm assuming that someone just thinks "restaurant" sounds more appealing and less old-fashioned than "dining room." I don't think it means they'll start charging separately for the MDR. The day that happens is the day I stop cruising.

I don't remember seeing that and I don't think it would make sense with the way they initially planned the American Table. At the beginning it looked like they were trying to go more family style with bowls in the middle of the table and people serving themselves. That went over like a lead balloon so the serving part has changed back to how it was.

I'm just wondering why it matters what the venue is called? Who cares?

Which starts at the source. Why do THEY think they need to change it. This is not the first time the topic has come up.

And in perusing the active cruise discussion boards around the net, many are concerned.