Passport Book or Passport Card?

JRudy33

I am planning a cruise next year on the Allure that goes to the Caribbean. My passport has just expired. Do I need to get a new passport book or will a passport card be accepted? I read the RCCL site and still not clear. Your help would be appreciated.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

The potential problem is that should you ever miss the ship and need to fly to another country to catch up, you won't be able to on the passport card. In 2014, we had to fly home mid way through a cruise due to an emergency medical issue, something that would not be possible for you with a passport card.

While convenient and less expensive, there is a trade off.

I am planning a cruise next year on the Allure that goes to the Caribbean. My passport has just expired. Do I need to get a new passport book or will a passport card be accepted? I read the RCCL site and still not clear. Your help would be appreciated.

Technically, you only need the card for US based closed loop cruises.

We have both because you need the booklet to fly internationally, and the passport card acts as a backup ID for domestic flying, in case you don't have your DL for any reason.

According to the State Dept website:

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

the cost is $30 for former passport holders -- it says "former" not "current" so I think that applies even though yours is expired.

The bottom line is that, while it may be marginally more convenient [and some points of entry have expedited lanes for card holders] for cruisers it really adds little if any benefit to a birth certificate and photo ID, except it would work for non-closed loop cruises to or from the places listed. And if you need to fly to the port of embarkation or home from one of those places, it doesn't work. Plus, it still does not solve the what do you do if you need to fly home due to emergency question. If you travel to and from Mexico or Canada frequently, it makes sense, if not, I think I would get the book or be content with my BC/photo ID. I got the book because I plan to go to places that the BC/photo ID and/or passport card will not work.

Edited by mjldvlks

Not sure I quite understand the question. If your passport expired you will need to renew it. It won't matter whether you are carrying a book or card if it is expired. Are you asking if you should only renew the card? Is that even possible?

I like having both, and I have both for my 15yo son as well.

The passport card is a convenient form of easy-to-carry identification, and given that we live next door to Canada, the card allows for us to travel there by car without having to carry the whole passport book.

If I could only afford one, I'd only get the passbook. But the extra cost for the card is minimal, and I like having the additional form of ID.

I have both a passport card & a passport. We travel on closed loop cruises with the passport card. Why? To me it is the right level of balance -

- Birth Certificate - pain to carry, can be damaged, sometimes slow through customs.

- Passport card - small, easy to carry in wallet just like a DL we typically carry. Waterproof, can keep it on my person if we are at a beach or snorkel excursion. Allows us in the passport customs line when getting back. Yes, would require additional steps if for some reason we had to fly back.

- Passport - good for all circumstances of travel. Larger than passport card. Not water proof. Can be stamped :)

Personally, I'm more concerned about having the passport stolen or dropped on the beach/excursion than I am getting stranded in a foreign country because I missed the ship. I notice some others feel the same way, I see comments here about "leave passport in safe, bring copy on excursions". I would think a copy of a passport is going to be about as valid as my passport card if something goes wrong and one has to fly home.

And if the ship has problems, well, that's Royal Caribbean's problem on getting all of us home.

I like having both, and I have both for my 15yo son as well.

The passport card is a convenient form of easy-to-carry identification, and given that we live next door to Canada, the card allows for us to travel there by car without having to carry the whole passport book.

If I could only afford one, I'd only get the passbook. But the extra cost for the card is minimal, and I like having the additional form of ID.

Doesn't Michigan have enhanced driver's licenses?

Out of curiosity, what other uses are there?

As an acceptable form of alternate photo ID. Particularly for my underage son, who isn't able to get any other form of government-issue photo identification. But many things like employment forms, etc., require more than one form of ID.